Code warriors

K8TOM

Having seen several folks in clubs diligently work at CW for a while it seems to me that the armchair CW
QSO experience happens only for those who acquired the skill at an early age.  Those of us who attempt to pick it
up later in life find that a lot more continuing effort is involved, even with practice.  Like mindless touch typing
and other semi-automatic mechanical skills there seems to be no substitute for early adult/teen acquisition.
I'm sure there are exceptions, but I haven't personally seen any folks who later in life picked up CW that now find
it effortless-unlike the folks in my club who learned early in life.  YMMV.

Tom
K8TOM

Tom:

Most likely true unless one throws the microphone away forever.

Learned CW in my early 30s and after getting my advanced I became a phone operator for next 30 years. Came back to CW in my 60s and mostly reacquired skill, but it was difficult.

There are many ops who probably have never been on CW.

Jerry  n9avy

On Friday, May 14, 2021, 09:51:28 AM CDT, K8TOM <tsingle@...> wrote:

Having seen several folks in clubs diligently work at CW for a while it seems to me that the armchair CW
QSO experience happens only for those who acquired the skill at an early age.  Those of us who attempt to pick it
up later in life find that a lot more continuing effort is involved, even with practice.  Like mindless touch typing
and other semi-automatic mechanical skills there seems to be no substitute for early adult/teen acquisition.
I'm sure there are exceptions, but I haven't personally seen any folks who later in life picked up CW that now find
it effortless-unlike the folks in my club who learned early in life.  YMMV.

Tom
K8TOM
815