Chimp Practice

Paula K7PAX #1739

Hi guys - so I am camping and decided to practice for the Chimp Chase. Using the same laptop and IC 7000 that I used when in Lake Havasu City a couple of years ago. But this time CAT control won’t successfully connect from HRD or from WSJT-X. Probably just some dumb setting I am not thinking of, but I tried all combinations of DTR RTS and BAUD rate with no success. I have upgraded the laptop to Windows 10 since I last operated digitally, but that typically only affects sound card settings. My issue is only with CAT control. Oh, I wonder if it could be power control settings affecting the USB ports. Maybe I just answered my own question! But any suggestions are welcome, and if anyone is using HRD with an IC7000 please share your connection settings. I am using a Keyspan USB to serial adapter and installed the latest driver. The only other hint I can give is that when I lowered the BAUD rate to 4800 I did hear some clicking in the radio, so it is trying to connect on some level - if that helps.

--
Paula K7PAX #1739

Jerry N9AVY

Paula:

For CAT control you need a Emoji   ha-hah !

Chimp practice is good. EmojiEmojiEmoji    Still a tad cold out here in Illinois for me.  Woke up this morning freezing felt like AC was turned on high. Brrr !

Have fun and hope to CU on 20m this weekend.

Jerry  n9avy

On Saturday, April 17, 2021, 10:57:11 AM CDT, Paula K7PAX #1739 via groups.io <hamette@...> wrote:

[...]

malcolm heard

Paula not clear on connection.  I have 7100 hooked to computer usb direct. Is that what you are attempting?  I use ham radio deluxe.

Malcolm Ke0jbt

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 10:57 AM Paula K7PAX #1739 via groups.io <hamette=hushmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Malcolm Heard, M.S.
7516 South 37th Street
Lincoln, NE 68516
heardmalcolm2017@...
402.202.3853

Leadership • Culture • Talent

Paula K7PAX #1739

Malcolm - ic7000 does not direct connect via USB. The cat cable connects from the aux port on the rig with DB9 serial on the far end. I use a Keyspan serial to USB converter and plug into the USB port on the PC. I have used this successfully many times.

Paula K7PAX

On Apr 17, 2021, at 9:17 AM, malcolm heard <heardmalcolm2017@...> wrote:

[...]

Sorry about that my brain read 7100.  You clearly said 7000

Malcolm😀

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 11:25 AM Paula K7PAX #1739 via groups.io <hamette=hushmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Dave Rowlinson

Did you change the usb port it was plugged into?  I have found that when I updated or accidentally changed the usb port I used on the computer,  I had to re-align things to the matching usb.. check in your windows settings what USB port is assigned to each device and make sure that the software mates those.  I have had my CAT and SC get swapped on an update and it took me longer than I want to admit to find that fault.

On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 at 12:32, malcolm heard <heardmalcolm2017@...> wrote:
[...]

There is only one com port assigned, com 3, and they match on pc and software, but that gave me an idea. I will try killing the com port and renewing it and see if that helps. I have also just now disabled the power-saving settings on the USB ports so I will test again now that the laptop is charged. Will report back soon.

Paula K7PAX

On Apr 17, 2021, at 9:51 AM, Dave Rowlinson <ve3zdr@...> wrote:

Did you change the usb port it was plugged into?  I have found that when I updated or accidentally changed the usb port I used on the computer,  I had to re-align things to the matching usb.. check in your windows settings what USB port is assigned to each device and make sure that the software mates those.  I have had my CAT and SC get swapped on an update and it took me longer than I want to admit to find that fault.

_._,_._,_

--
Paula K7PAX #1739

Paula K7PAX #1739

No success by uninstalling and reinstalling the com port or disabling the USB power saving options. Giving up for the day.

Paula K7PAX