Topics

Chat Room Availability

N9JCA Chris Matthews

To All Members of 070

The other day, someone asked, was there a Chat Room available, to setup skeds etc?. Yes there is, it's on the .io Group website, but from what I see, it's rarely used. Someone replied that a different Group has a dedicated Chat Room setup, just for this purpose, and it would be nice to have one setup for 070 Group.

This got me thinking.I have a spare Computer, and I have a Zoom Account.I would be willing to setup this Computer, and dedicate it for an 070 Chat Room. If the Membership, would like this to happen, send some feedback, and I'll see what I can arrange.

Chris N9JCA

73

PODXS 797

Chuck M

Anyone else familiar with Slack?  We use it for our local club.  Also used by the Indiana Elmers Group.

Can have separate channels for various topics.  Free to use.  Easier to back track and follow topics, i.e. 6M skip.

Not good for file storage, calendar, and some other limitations.

Chuck
KD9DVB

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 12:43 PM, N9JCA Chris Matthews
<chris.n9jca@...> wrote:
To All Members of 070

The other day, someone asked, was there a Chat Room available, to setup
skeds etc?. Yes there is, it's on the .io Group website, but from what I
see, it's rarely used. Someone replied that a different Group has a
dedicated Chat Room setup, just for this purpose, and it would be nice
to have one setup for 070 Group.

This got me thinking.I have a spare Computer, and I have a Zoom
Account.I would be willing to setup this Computer, and dedicate it for
an 070 Chat Room. If the Membership, would like this to happen, send
some feedback, and I'll see what I can arrange.

Chris N9JCA

73

PODXS 797

Stephen Melachrinos

I'd like to ask a fundamental question: Have people tried the groups.io chat room and found it deficient? Or is it just that no one (including me) seems to remember that it's available? After the last interchange, I discovered that I had bookmarked it in my browser the last time it came up, but never think of using it.

Yes, I've heard of Slack, and I've even used Zoom. And nothing against either of those platforms, but everyone on this reflector already is on groups.io. I'll bet that no other platform already has a 100% penetration among our group, so there will be effort in getting people to sign up, and some never will. Before we start suggesting that people create new accounts and/or download new software, let's evaluate what we have. And if it doesn't meet the needs of the group, then we can look elsewhere.

Don - KM4UDX

Anything that facilitates use of the mode and connecting each other is worth a shot...try it!

Don
km4udx

--
Don
571-225-6180

Stephen Melachrinos

Taking my own advice, I just logged on to 070 Chat on groups.io. Here's the link:

I realized as I used it that if someone only accepted an invitation to join the email reflector and didn't create a login for groups.io, then there IS that additional step to use the chat room.

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

1470

For a long time we used the contest group for this type of activity
but haven't seen anything there for ages.
cheers de Barry

B. Smith, N3XL

Using the .io Contest email for skeds and to solicit chats is a good idea. The Contest email that I've seen is usually just unnecessary dupes of general club email which could be dispensed with. This could get a lot of the chatter off of the regular Club email by providing a place for it.
73, Bill N3XL

--
Bill Smith, N3XL