Topics

Chat Room Availability

N9JCA Chris Matthews

To All Members of 070

The other day, someone asked, was there a Chat Room available, to setup skeds etc?. Yes there is, it's on the .io Group website, but from what I see, it's rarely used. Someone replied that a different Group has a dedicated Chat Room setup, just for this purpose, and it would be nice to have one setup for 070 Group.

This got me thinking.I have a spare Computer, and I have a Zoom Account.I would be willing to setup this Computer, and dedicate it for an 070 Chat Room. If the Membership, would like this to happen, send some feedback, and I'll see what I can arrange.

Chris N9JCA

PODXS 797

Chuck M

Anyone else familiar with Slack?  We use it for our local club.  Also used by the Indiana Elmers Group.

Can have separate channels for various topics.  Free to use.  Easier to back track and follow topics, i.e. 6M skip.

Not good for file storage, calendar, and some other limitations.

Chuck
KD9DVB

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 12:43 PM, N9JCA Chris Matthews
<chris.n9jca@...> wrote:
To All Members of 070

The other day, someone asked, was there a Chat Room available, to setup
skeds etc?. Yes there is, it's on the .io Group website, but from what I
see, it's rarely used. Someone replied that a different Group has a
dedicated Chat Room setup, just for this purpose, and it would be nice
to have one setup for 070 Group.

This got me thinking.I have a spare Computer, and I have a Zoom
Account.I would be willing to setup this Computer, and dedicate it for
an 070 Chat Room. If the Membership, would like this to happen, send
some feedback, and I'll see what I can arrange.

Chris N9JCA

PODXS 797

Stephen Melachrinos

I'd like to ask a fundamental question: Have people tried the groups.io chat room and found it deficient? Or is it just that no one (including me) seems to remember that it's available? After the last interchange, I discovered that I had bookmarked it in my browser the last time it came up, but never think of using it.

Yes, I've heard of Slack, and I've even used Zoom. And nothing against either of those platforms, but everyone on this reflector already is on groups.io. I'll bet that no other platform already has a 100% penetration among our group, so there will be effort in getting people to sign up, and some never will. Before we start suggesting that people create new accounts and/or download new software, let's evaluate what we have. And if it doesn't meet the needs of the group, then we can look elsewhere. 

Steve
W3HF 

Don - KM4UDX

Anything that facilitates use of the mode and connecting each other is worth a shot...try it!

Don
km4udx

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 12:43 PM N9JCA Chris Matthews <chris.n9jca@...> wrote:
To All Members of 070

The other day, someone asked, was there a Chat Room available, to setup
skeds etc?. Yes there is, it's on the .io Group website, but from what I
see, it's rarely used. Someone replied that a different Group has a
dedicated Chat Room setup, just for this purpose, and it would be nice
to have one setup for 070 Group.

This got me thinking.I have a spare Computer, and I have a Zoom
Account.I would be willing to setup this Computer, and dedicate it for
an 070 Chat Room. If the Membership, would like this to happen, send
some feedback, and I'll see what I can arrange.

Chris N9JCA

PODXS 797

--
Don
571-225-6180

Stephen Melachrinos

Taking my own advice, I just logged on to 070 Chat on groups.io. Here's the link:

I realized as I used it that if someone only accepted an invitation to join the email reflector and didn't create a login for groups.io, then there IS that additional step to use the chat room.

Steve
W3HF

-----Original Message-----
To: main@070Club.groups.io <main@070Club.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, May 16, 2020 5:18 pm
Subject: Re: [070Club] Chat Room Availability

I'd like to ask a fundamental question: Have people tried the groups.io chat room and found it deficient? Or is it just that no one (including me) seems to remember that it's available? After the last interchange, I discovered that I had bookmarked it in my browser the last time it came up, but never think of using it.

Yes, I've heard of Slack, and I've even used Zoom. And nothing against either of those platforms, but everyone on this reflector already is on groups.io. I'll bet that no other platform already has a 100% penetration among our group, so there will be effort in getting people to sign up, and some never will. Before we start suggesting that people create new accounts and/or download new software, let's evaluate what we have. And if it doesn't meet the needs of the group, then we can look elsewhere. 

Steve
W3HF 

N9JCA Chris Matthews

Not to take anything away Steve, But that is exactly what you do if I had Zoom setup as a Chat Room

Install Zoom, ( there is a version for all OS ), click on join a Meeting, Enter room I D, enter Password, Done

Just trying to help out

It worked good enough for out Club Meetings, ( during COVID-19 ) so I thought of offering the same setup for an 070 Chat Room

Chris N9JCA

PODXS 797

On 5/16/20 8:21 PM, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io wrote:
Taking my own advice, I just logged on to 070 Chat on groups.io. Here's the link:

I realized as I used it that if someone only accepted an invitation to join the email reflector and didn't create a login for groups.io, then there IS that additional step to use the chat room.

Steve
W3HF

-----Original Message-----
To: main@070Club.groups.io <main@070Club.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, May 16, 2020 5:18 pm
Subject: Re: [070Club] Chat Room Availability

Steve
W3HF 

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Chris - that was me replying to a message someone else asked about.  But, since you are not an SKCC member you can still view the web page.  this is it:

This will give you an idea of how it works.  It is great as other SKCC members will attest to I’m sure.  Thanks

Dan Morris  KZ3T  070-1065

I live to live for Him!

On May 16, 2020, at 12:43 PM, N9JCA Chris Matthews <chris.n9jca@...> wrote:

To All Members of 070

The other day, someone asked, was there a Chat Room available, to setup skeds etc?. Yes there is, it's on the .io Group website, but from what I see, it's rarely used. Someone replied that a different Group has a dedicated Chat Room setup, just for this purpose, and it would be nice to have one setup for 070 Group.

This got me thinking.I have a spare Computer, and I have a Zoom Account.I would be willing to setup this Computer, and dedicate it for an 070 Chat Room. If the Membership, would like this to happen, send some feedback, and I'll see what I can arrange.

Chris N9JCA

PODXS 797

N9JCA Chris Matthews

Dan

Not a Problem. I just couldn't remember who it was, that's why I didn't use anyone's Name

Chris N9JCA

PODXS 797

On 5/16/20 10:51 PM, Dan Morris - KZ3T wrote:
Chris - that was me replying to a message someone else asked about.  But, since you are not an SKCC member you can still view the web page.  this is it:

This will give you an idea of how it works.  It is great as other SKCC members will attest to I’m sure.  Thanks

I live to live for Him!

To All Members of 070

Chris N9JCA

PODXS 797

Dan Morris - KZ3T

I think when you look at the SKCC sked page you will see that all that are logged in are on the right and there is a place where they can put any info like QRP, or need this or that state or country or whatever they want to put and then to the left on the main part is where everyone talks with each other.  It is constantly used 24/7.

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On May 16, 2020, at 6:55 PM, N9JCA Chris Matthews <chris.n9jca@...> wrote:

Dan

Not a Problem. I just couldn't remember who it was, that's why I didn't use anyone's Name

Chris N9JCA

PODXS 797

On 5/16/20 10:51 PM, Dan Morris - KZ3T wrote:

I live to live for Him!

To All Members of 070

Chris N9JCA

PODXS 797

N9JCA Chris Matthews

To ALL 070 Members

Steve W3HF and I N9JCA,have been ironing a few this out.

Would the Membership like to have the added use of a Chat Room from a Zoom Meeting Place, or just use the 070 Chat Room from the .io Group Website?

If you want to check out the SKCC Chat site first, just to see what I'm talking about, that's great, https://sked.skccgroup.com/ the setup here would be about the same.

If you've never used a Zoom Meeting Place:

You can Chat with Audio and Video

See who is Checked In etc

You'd then be able to setup Skeds to collect your needed 070 Certificates etc

If you'd like for this to Happen, You would have to Download Zoom ,from their Website, and Install it on your Computer. There is a Version for Linux, Apple and Windows. Use a Login I.D Number and a Password Window

This Zoom Meeting Place will be setup on a Linux Box, a Dell Optiplex 3820, 500GB HDD,16GB Memory.  If that Computer isn't "fast" enough, I do have a Tower with 1TB HDD and 32GB Memory,another Linux Box, at my Home; and there will be availability for 100 People at a time. If I can, I'll try and run it 24/7; there are other Options as well, and we'll cross those in due course.

I'll let everyone think about it, and I'll get back to you next w/end, Please send me your feed back as to a Yes or a No; to know whether or not, you would like it to be an added addition for the 070 Club

Chris N9JCA

PODXS 797

LONP 165

N9JCA Chris Matthews

PLEASE only reply with relevant information to this Posting

If you need to post a message to something else, make a different Post

Thank you

Chris N9JCA

PODXS 797

LONP 165

On 5/17/20 2:26 AM, N9JCA Chris Matthews wrote:
To ALL 070 Members

Would the Membership like to have the added use of a Chat Room from a Zoom Meeting Place, or just use the 070 Chat Room from the .io Group Website?

If you want to check out the SKCC Chat site first, just to see what I'm talking about, that's great, https://sked.skccgroup.com/ the setup here would be about the same.

If you'd like for this to Happen, You would have to Download Zoom ,from their Website, and Install it on your Computer. There is a Version for Linux, Apple and Windows. Use a Login I.D Number and a Password Window

This Zoom Meeting Place will be setup on a Linux Box, a Dell Optiplex 3820, 500GB HDD,16GB Memory.  If that Computer isn't "fast" enough, I do have a Tower with 1TB HDD and 32GB Memory,another Linux Box, at my Home; and there will be availability for 100 People at a time. If I can, I'll try and run it 24/7; there are other Options as well, and we'll cross those in due course.

I'll let everyone think about it, and I'll get back to you next w/end, Please send me your feed back as to a Yes or a No; to know whether or not, you would like it to be an added addition for the 070 Club

Chris N9JCA

PODXS 797

LONP 165

Adam Mercier, KM7N #1310

I’d be interested!

Adam KM7N #1310

On May 16, 2020, at 19:26, N9JCA Chris Matthews <chris.n9jca@...> wrote:

To ALL 070 Members

This Zoom Meeting Place will be setup on a Linux Box, a Dell Optiplex 3820, 500GB HDD,16GB Memory. If that Computer isn't "fast" enough, I do have a Tower with 1TB HDD and 32GB Memory,another Linux Box, at my Home; and there will be availability for 100 People at a time. If I can, I'll try and run it 24/7; there are other Options as well, and we'll cross those in due course.

Chris N9JCA

PODXS 797

LONP 165

DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381

I'd prefer the chatroom that  we have already.  Zoom does not leave a record of previous conversations and who came and went. Just my personal preference to have something that I don't have to schedule to attend.
--
Dave H
KB3RAN
1692/381

Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK - PODXS 070 # 2645

I would suggest to use what is already part of the groups.io system. If you go back through the history, you will find that it has been user a number of times to announce that somebody was e.g. on 30m and y resulted in successful QSOs. The technology is there, we just need to get more people to use it. 

de K5KHK 

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Don’t think we need to have/use a Zoom meeting place.  I would suggest either keeping the groups.io chat room or modifying it to be somewhat similar to the SKCC chat room.
Easy to see on the right side all who is on (groups.io does not show that easily) and be able to chat, set skeds, etc in the middle part.

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On May 16, 2020, at 10:26 PM, N9JCA Chris Matthews <chris.n9jca@...> wrote:

To ALL 070 Members

Chris N9JCA

PODXS 797

LONP 165

Fr Richard R

I like the SKCC format if that is possible to create and maintain. 

Fr Richard 
WB8YXF 

On May 17, 2020, at 08:02, Dan Morris - KZ3T <dbmorris315@...> wrote:

Don’t think we need to have/use a Zoom meeting place.  I would suggest either keeping the groups.io chat room or modifying it to be somewhat similar to the SKCC chat room.
Easy to see on the right side all who is on (groups.io does not show that easily) and be able to chat, set skeds, etc in the middle part.

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On May 16, 2020, at 10:26 PM, N9JCA Chris Matthews <chris.n9jca@...> wrote:

To ALL 070 Members

Chris N9JCA

PODXS 797

LONP 165

Peter, NN9K #2629

I would prefer the SKCC chatroom format since I am very familiar with the it and use it a lot, in fact it stays open 24/7 on my machine.

--
Peter, NN9K

David, K9DWR

* Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri=verizon.net@groups.io> [2020-05-16 17:18]:
I'd like to ask a fundamental question: Have people tried the groups.io chat
room and found it deficient? Or is it just that no one (including me) seems
to remember that it's available? After the last interchange, I discovered
The main failing of the Groups.io chat is that it's buried in groups.io
and needs a web browser to function. Web apps, IMO, suck. Especially
when screen real estate is at a premium, having yet another tab or
window to manage makes this a non-starter for me. This is complicated
even further when you throw in everything else that's clamoring for your
attention; Teams, slack, discord, the litany of IM protocols, etc. I
tried the groups.io chat when we first started setting it up, and it
went by the wayside because the ONLY way to use it is by logging into
the webpage.

I don't use the groups.io web page; I read messages via email. I do
most things in console windows because I prefer a terminal window where
I can aggregate things and still see multiple topics at once (98% of my
chat communication is within an IRC client). Part of it is maximizing
my screen space, part of it is a general distaste for most web
applications' disregard for that same space. It would be nice if more
developers would realize not everyone has a 40" 4K screen for their
computer.

--
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@...

For a long time we used the contest group for this type of activity
but haven't seen anything there for ages.
cheers de Barry

B. Smith, N3XL

Using the .io Contest email for skeds and to solicit chats is a good idea. The Contest email that I've seen is usually just unnecessary dupes of general club email which could be dispensed with. This could get a lot of the chatter off of the regular Club email by providing a place for it.
73, Bill N3XL

--
Bill Smith, N3XL