Topics

Calendars are Hard!

Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK - PODXS 070 # 2645

Last August, I was ready to fill my calendar for the 365/366 endorsement. I was missing three days during the week we always spend in the Adirondacks. I came prepared with my radio, an antenna and a Raspberry Pi set up with Fldigi. Unfortunately, due to technical difficulties and hardware problems, I was not able to make a single PSK31 contact. So I marked the three missing days on my calendar for this year and started two days ago to fill in the missing days. Thanks to John KC3FL for helping me to fill in my calendar. Based on what I had in my calendar, I should be down to one missing day now, so I thought I would upload my logs and take a screenshot of the one missing day in the calendar for the family photo album :) Imagine my shock when I saw that there were two days missing... The good news is that it's the next two days and not something that I would have to wait another year for. Yup, calendars are hard :) I will be on the air again tonight and tomorrow night to fill in those two missing days. Thanks again for everybody out there willing to answer my CQ calls or to work me when I answer theirs - especially to John. 

See you on the waterfall, 

Karl Heinz - K5KHK

stan W9SMR

Congratulations, Karl!!

You made it!! 366 is not a trivial accomplishment and you deserve a big round of applause!

I looked for you yesterday and did not see you on PSKReporter. I was hoping you found a way to take this baby home!

73 and keep up the great work,

See you on the waterfall!

Stan
W9SMR

Sent: Friday, August 14, 2020 10:19 AM
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Subject: [070Club] Calendars are Hard!

Last August, I was ready to fill my calendar for the 365/366 endorsement. I was missing three days during the week we always spend in the Adirondacks. I came prepared with my radio, an antenna and a Raspberry Pi set up with Fldigi. Unfortunately, due to technical difficulties and hardware problems, I was not able to make a single PSK31 contact. So I marked the three missing days on my calendar for this year and started two days ago to fill in the missing days. Thanks to John KC3FL for helping me to fill in my calendar. Based on what I had in my calendar, I should be down to one missing day now, so I thought I would upload my logs and take a screenshot of the one missing day in the calendar for the family photo album :) Imagine my shock when I saw that there were two days missing... The good news is that it's the next two days and not something that I would have to wait another year for. Yup, calendars are hard :) I will be on the air again tonight and tomorrow night to fill in those two missing days. Thanks again for everybody out there willing to answer my CQ calls or to work me when I answer theirs - especially to John.

Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Leland Sly

Congratulations Karl!!!  I remember when I got close I had to wait a whole year to get that last contact.  Believe me...I was watching the calendar and couldn't wait for that day to come.  Well done!!!

Lee N5SLY

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 7:38 PM stan robinson <robinstan@...> wrote:
Congratulations, Karl!!

You made it!!  366 is not a trivial accomplishment and you deserve a big round of applause!

I looked for you yesterday and did not see you on PSKReporter. I was hoping you found a way to take this baby home!

Stan
W9SMR

Last August, I was ready to fill my calendar for the 365/366 endorsement. I was missing three days during the week we always spend in the Adirondacks. I came prepared with my radio, an antenna and a Raspberry Pi set up with Fldigi. Unfortunately, due to technical difficulties and hardware problems, I was not able to make a single PSK31 contact. So I marked the three missing days on my calendar for this year and started two days ago to fill in the missing days. Thanks to John KC3FL for helping me to fill in my calendar. Based on what I had in my calendar, I should be down to one missing day now, so I thought I would upload my logs and take a screenshot of the one missing day in the calendar for the family photo album :) Imagine my shock when I saw that there were two days missing... The good news is that it's the next two days and not something that I would have to wait another year for. Yup, calendars are hard :) I will be on the air again tonight and tomorrow night to fill in those two missing days. Thanks again for everybody out there willing to answer my CQ calls or to work me when I answer theirs - especially to John.

Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Thanks everybody for the support over the last few days - and over the last three years or so. When I got back into ham radio after  about a 25 year break, I was amazed at what digital had to offer - especially because I started out using my rain gutters as antenna. I had planned on finishing this a year ago, but technology is not always on our side. ;) I did shift my focus a bit from doing mostly PSK to being a POTA activator. I’ve done a few PSK QSOs from parks, but there again is more that can go wrong. 

So thanks again and I hope to see you all on the waterfall again soon. 

Karl Heinz - K5KHK 

Karl Heinz Kremer
PDF Acrobatics Without a Net 
PDF Software Development, Training and More... 
http://www.khkonsulting.com 

On Aug 15, 2020, at 9:01 PM, Leland Sly <lee.n5sly@...> wrote:

Congratulations Karl!!!  I remember when I got close I had to wait a whole year to get that last contact.  Believe me...I was watching the calendar and couldn't wait for that day to come.  Well done!!!

Lee N5SLY

Congratulations, Karl!!

You made it!!  366 is not a trivial accomplishment and you deserve a big round of applause!

Stan
W9SMR

Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Rick - N7WE

Yes Karl, high congratulations indeed!  Not just for the completion, but for the "stick-to-it-ness" that got you there. 

What's next?  Are you ready to take on the 24/7?  You already have 127 of the 168 time slots filled.  It has been awhile since anyone made a run at it.  It has its own special form of very difficult. If you decide to take on that challenge, there are "Owls" out here who will do scheds with you to get it done.  As "Owl" Paula - K7PAX has been known to say: "Come on up!  There's plenty of room on the limb!"   Since you already have earned 366 and Leap Day, completing the 24/7 would also put you in that very small group who have completed Clock and Calendar - arguably the most difficult of all the 070 Endorsements.   Just let us know!

--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Fr Richard R

Congrats!!
Yes it takes time and effort but well worth it personally. 

Keep up the excellent work!!

The group here is wonderful and yes as said someone will always find time, day or night to help out. 

Fr Richard 
WB8YXF 
Proud Clock & Calendar member

On Aug 16, 2020, at 08:00, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

Yes Karl, high congratulations indeed!  Not just for the completion, but for the "stick-to-it-ness" that got you there. 

What's next?  Are you ready to take on the 24/7?  You already have 127 of the 168 time slots filled.  It has been awhile since anyone made a run at it.  It has its own special form of very difficult. If you decide to take on that challenge, there are "Owls"<owl_2.jpg> out here who will do scheds with you to get it done.  As "Owl" Paula - K7PAX has been known to say: "Come on up!  There's plenty of room on the limb!"   Since you already have earned 366 and Leap Day, completing the 24/7 would also put you in that very small group who have completed Clock and Calendar - arguably the most difficult of all the 070 Endorsements.   Just let us know!

--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Jerry N9AVY

Karl:

Congrats on the 366 !!!! It's much harder to accomplish today than it was a few years ago with fewer PSK stations on the air and propagation being in the dumps. So, anyone who make it today gets "bragging rights" .

The 24 x 7 is a bit tougher and it's physically harder on some folks because of all the strange hours one has to keep. Unless , of course, you're one of those folks who can ke up functional, make the contact and go back to sleep. It was rough on me back then because I had to work the next day and kind of wandered around in a fog ! Hi , hi !

It was fun and gives one a sense of accomplishment as are do many of the endorsements/awards. PODXS 070 seem more challenging than the WAS and DXCC awards.

Congrats again, Karl !

73, Jerry n9avy

On Saturday, August 15, 2020, 08:47:26 PM CDT, Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK - PODXS 070 # 2645 <khk@...> wrote:

Thanks everybody for the support over the last few days - and over the last three years or so. When I got back into ham radio after  about a 25 year break, I was amazed at what digital had to offer - especially because I started out using my rain gutters as antenna. I had planned on finishing this a year ago, but technology is not always on our side. ;) I did shift my focus a bit from doing mostly PSK to being a POTA activator. I’ve done a few PSK QSOs from parks, but there again is more that can go wrong. 

Karl Heinz - K5KHK 

Karl Heinz Kremer

Lee N5SLY

Congratulations, Karl!!

Stan
W9SMR

Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Hi Jerry,

I do have a job, so sitting at the radio while I am supposed to be sleeping - and on a regular basis - is not a good idea ;)  I’ll keep that on my “when I retire” list.  ;)

Karl Heinz Kremer

On Aug 16, 2020, at 9:03 AM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

Karl:

Congrats on the 366 !!!! It's much harder to accomplish today than it was a few years ago with fewer PSK stations on the air and propagation being in the dumps. So, anyone who make it today gets "bragging rights" .

The 24 x 7 is a bit tougher and it's physically harder on some folks because of all the strange hours one has to keep. Unless , of course, you're one of those folks who can ke up functional, make the contact and go back to sleep. It was rough on me back then because I had to work the next day and kind of wandered around in a fog ! Hi , hi !

It was fun and gives one a sense of accomplishment as are do many of the endorsements/awards. PODXS 070 seem more challenging than the WAS and DXCC awards.

Congrats again, Karl !

73, Jerry n9avy
On Saturday, August 15, 2020, 08:47:26 PM CDT, Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK - PODXS 070 # 2645 <khk@...> wrote:

Karl Heinz - K5KHK 

Karl Heinz Kremer

Lee N5SLY

Congratulations, Karl!!

Stan
W9SMR

Karl Heinz - K5KHK

John Hendry KG5OIB

Congrats, Karl!   I'm hoping to complete my 366 in March.   At least that is the goal.

The clock part may be tough.  I was  up at 0900 this morning (4 am Central time), and just checked the bands for psk.   Tried 20, 30 and 40, and nada.    That may be something to save for a few years down the road, when we get to the meat of the solar cycle! 

John
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

de  KG5OIB

John Hendry

Decatur, Wise County, Texas

LOC:  EM13eg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stephen Melachrinos

John -

Given the so-so propagation we are now experiencing, it's probably best to announce your overnight needs in advance, and solicit skeds. 0900 is 5am in ET, and there are a number of members who would have been on the air if they had known you would be there. (I usually get up at 5:40, so that wouldn't have been much earlier.)

I think each member that has accomplished 24x7 realizes that it was made possible by other hams that were the other side of 168 QSOs. So most everyone is willing to help those that follow.

Steve
W3HF

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wed, Aug 19, 2020 12:21 pm
Subject: Re: [070Club] Calendars are Hard!

Congrats, Karl!   I'm hoping to complete my 366 in March.   At least that is the goal.

The clock part may be tough.  I was  up at 0900 this morning (4 am Central time), and just checked the bands for psk.   Tried 20, 30 and 40, and nada.    That may be something to save for a few years down the road, when we get to the meat of the solar cycle! 

John
--

Rick - N7WE

Good points Steve!  I was up at 5:00 EDT this morning.  Some mornings earlier, some mornings later.  But I always turn the email on as soon as I get up - even before making coffee.  So a posting to the group will have me looking.  Trying to pay it forward for all those who helped me.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602