#APE W0JH from White Rock SD August 28 #APE


Joe KC0OIO
 

The Stillwater Amateur Radio Assn (SARA) WØJH {#1905] will be returning for the seventh time to operate from the ghost town of White Rock, SD. We first ran this event 22 years ago in 1999 using a special WØA callsign. The town of White Rock was established in 1884 and was once a thriving farming community with a peak population of 600 people; with 7 grain elevators, 3 hotels, 4 saloons, 2 banks, a large department store, 2 drug stores, 2 churches, a 12 grade school, railroad depot, post office as well as other mercantile establishments. White Rock is the most northeastern community in SD and the tri-state point where SD, ND & MN meet is 1 mile north. The current population is 2! Very few structures remain in the old town.

We're adding PSK to the mix this year, given that it is August, and it's an expedition as we have to bring everything along including food, water, power, and well - you get the idea, Therefore, we have an excellent opportunity for an August PSK Expedition! 

While our primary stations will be in the town of White Rock, we expect conditions will allow us to have a secondary SSB station at times at the SD/ND/MN tri-state marker. SSB will be our primary mode, but PSK31 and FT8 digital modes may also be used. While we will have a few people camping in White Rock that may operate some during the evening, this is primarily going to be a daytime operation with intention to be up and running by 1400 UTC on Saturday 8/28 and Sunday 8/29. The PSK station in White Rock will be established on 20m and will likely be kept busy enough to stay there most of the day. We encourage anyone who works us, to spot us on the cluster, as we won’t be self spotting and the more folks we work, the happier we will be.

Given the limited access and space at the Tri State Marker - it's at the end of a minimally maintained farm road surrounded by farm fields (no trees) and a drainage ditch, it will not be practical to establish a PSK operation at the intersection of the 3 states alongside the Phone station. White Rock is in grid square EN15rw. There is a possibility of activating EN15 on 6M on Saturday.

Suggested Frequencies: standard PSK frequencies on 40 - 20 - 15. Phone will be at or around 3.860, 7.260, 14.260, 21.360 MHz (Tune +/– 10 kHz if QRM)

An electronic QSL certificate will be available a few weeks following the Special Event. For info on requesting the e-mailed PDF certificate, see the W0JH listing at qrz.com. QSOs will also be confirmed via LoTW.  

I will be there, roughing it in a tent, and running PSK on Saturday the 28th.

--


Joe KC0OIO
#1601


Rick - N7WE
 

Fantastic Joe!  An APE and EN15 which is a grid I need but had given up hope of ever working it.  Thanks so much and I will definitely be on looking for you guys.  Have fun!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602


Jim K5SP
 

Added to Planned Ape web page, please verify the entry.

73

Jim K5SP

On 8/10/2021 11:15 AM, Joe KC0OIO wrote:
The Stillwater Amateur Radio Assn (SARA) WØJH {#1905] will be returning for the seventh time to operate from the ghost town of White Rock, SD. We first ran this event 22 years ago in 1999 using a special WØA callsign. The town of White Rock was established in 1884 and was once a thriving farming community with a peak population of 600 people; with 7 grain elevators, 3 hotels, 4 saloons, 2 banks, a large department store, 2 drug stores, 2 churches, a 12 grade school, railroad depot, post office as well as other mercantile establishments. White Rock is the most northeastern community in SD and the tri-state point where SD, ND & MN meet is 1 mile north. The current population is 2! Very few structures remain in the old town.

We're adding PSK to the mix this year, given that it is August, and it's an expedition as we have to bring everything along including food, water, power, and well - you get the idea, Therefore, we have an excellent opportunity for an August PSK Expedition! 

While our primary stations will be in the town of White Rock, we expect conditions will allow us to have a secondary SSB station at times at the SD/ND/MN tri-state marker. SSB will be our primary mode, but PSK31 and FT8 digital modes may also be used. While we will have a few people camping in White Rock that may operate some during the evening, this is primarily going to be a daytime operation with intention to be up and running by 1400 UTC on Saturday 8/28 and Sunday 8/29. The PSK station in White Rock will be established on 20m and will likely be kept busy enough to stay there most of the day. We encourage anyone who works us, to spot us on the cluster, as we won’t be self spotting and the more folks we work, the happier we will be.

Given the limited access and space at the Tri State Marker - it's at the end of a minimally maintained farm road surrounded by farm fields (no trees) and a drainage ditch, it will not be practical to establish a PSK operation at the intersection of the 3 states alongside the Phone station. White Rock is in grid square EN15rw. There is a possibility of activating EN15 on 6M on Saturday.

Suggested Frequencies: standard PSK frequencies on 40 - 20 - 15. Phone will be at or around 3.860, 7.260, 14.260, 21.360 MHz (Tune +/– 10 kHz if QRM)

An electronic QSL certificate will be available a few weeks following the Special Event. For info on requesting the e-mailed PDF certificate, see the W0JH listing at qrz.com. QSOs will also be confirmed via LoTW.  

I will be there, roughing it in a tent, and running PSK on Saturday the 28th.

--


Joe KC0OIO
#1601

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Executive Director/Member Services Director


DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381
 

Thanks Jim
Dave KB3RAN 

--
Dave H KB3RAN 1692/381


Joe KC0OIO
 

Good Morning!

All packed and loaded for the trip to White Rock, SD. The forecast is iffy for Saturday, 60% of thunderstorms. We're still planning to do the APE activation as weather permits. Hope to catch many of you from EN15!


--


Joe KC0OIO
#1601


Rick - N7WE
 

Good luck and enjoy Joe!  I will definitely be looking for you on the waterfall. 

Rick - N7WE

On 8/27/2021 7:53 AM, Joe KC0OIO wrote:
Good Morning!

All packed and loaded for the trip to White Rock, SD. The forecast is iffy for Saturday, 60% of thunderstorms. We're still planning to do the APE activation as weather permits. Hope to catch many of you from EN15!


--


Joe KC0OIO
#1601

--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602


 

Joe,

 EN15 is a grid I need so will definitely be looking for you.

John
KC3FL


Joe KC0OIO
 

Thunderstorms in the area this morning. Activation will be delayed.
--


Joe KC0OIO
#1601


Joe KC0OIO
 

No go for digital station today. Power lines & poles down across planned location following this morning's storm. Maybe tomorrow. Sorry bout that folks.
--


Joe KC0OIO
#1601


Rick - N7WE
 

Roger that Joe.  Thanks for the update.  Sorry for your difficulties.  Stay safe!  I'll be looking for you tomorrow.  73,
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602


Joe KC0OIO
 

It's been said that no plan survives when you engage the enemy... the enemy was the weather. We had to spend this morning drying gear, tearing down and packing up. We had a small group out there this time and the club's goal was to work SSB from the ghost town and out at the 3 state intersection, not an easy task when you had to a keep a weather eye on the horizon. 

We will try again in a couple of years. Sorry folks.
--


Joe KC0OIO
#1601


Rick - N7WE
 

Thanks for the try Joe.  Sorry it didn't come together for you guys.  I'll look for you the next time you have a go at EN15.  73

Rick - N7WE

On 8/29/2021 9:28 PM, Joe KC0OIO wrote:
It's been said that no plan survives when you engage the enemy... the enemy was the weather. We had to spend this morning drying gear, tearing down and packing up. We had a small group out there this time and the club's goal was to work SSB from the ghost town and out at the 3 state intersection, not an easy task when you had to a keep a weather eye on the horizon. 

We will try again in a couple of years. Sorry folks.
--


Joe KC0OIO
#1601

--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602