APE Contest #APE

Anyone ard for the APE contest? Been checking but nothing so far on 20
--
Dave NU4N #1657 73's

JoAnn Donaldson

I have him activating on the 4th of August, 2021.

JoAnn
AB8YZ

On Sunday, August 1, 2021, 10:27:06 AM CDT, Dave Tucker Nu4N <dwtucker19@...> wrote:

Anyone ard for the APE contest? Been checking but nothing so far on 20
--
Dave NU4N #1657 73's

What about KK6KMU, W9SMR and N7WE? I am looking for the stations.
--
Dave NU4N #1657 73's

Jerry N9AVY

Dave:

Didn't they post schedules for operations ?

Jerry  N9AVY   #454

On Sunday, August 1, 2021, 01:45:44 PM CDT, Dave Tucker Nu4N <dwtucker19@...> wrote:

--
Dave NU4N #1657 73's

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

All,

Just as a reminder of my APE

Date: August 4

Time: 1900-2400 UTC

QTH: San Clemente State Beach, CA

POTA Number: K-3554

Band: 20 Meter

My Callsign: KK6KMU

My setup will be.

Rig: IC-7200

Antenna: 20 Meter Hamstick

Battery: 30 Amp Hr Bioenno

Solar Panel: 100 Watt Bioenno

Dell Laptop using FLDIGI

This will also be a Parks on the Air activation.  Thanks for your help

Bob
KK6KMU

Hi Dave...
It's not a contest. It's a month long operating activity.
Members go out and operate portable at their convenience and mostly it's just as their time allows.
There's no scoring or turning your logs in for a "score", although maybe some thought could be given
to it by club management.
See this:
Details?...Just ask, and pay special attention to the replies from seasoned, experienced APE activators.
There's a lot of work involved and time consumed. Sometimes it's not possible to sit down and say on what exact days or exact dates it will happen as most of my APE planning is just a few days ahead of my actual activation .
I'm putting together a PowerPoint presentation on my APE station this year. 
Again, time is a precious asset.
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

-----Original Message-----
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Aug 1, 2021 11:45 am
Subject: Re: [070Club] APE Contest #APE

--
Dave NU4N #1657 73's

Rick - N7WE

Don't know how I got included as a possible APE this year.  My portable days are mostly over and done.  But I haven't said "never again."  Hope springs eternal in old fools like me. 

But I plan to be on air for the Endorsement Daze #5 and the WARC-CRAWL, August 21 and 22.  I'll have to operate from my home shack, so no Chimp Chase for me this time around.  But if you can get portable, it only takes 5 Qs to get the Chimp Chase Atta-Boy!  Go for it!

--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Jim K5SP

Dave, the schedule is on the website, on the planned APE page.
The earliest scheduled APE is KK6KMU, 4 AUG, 1900-2400z. 20m.

That is the only one that has not been updated, all others are correct as shown 

On Sun, Aug 1, 2021 at 1:45 PM, Dave Tucker Nu4N
<dwtucker19@...> wrote:
--
Dave NU4N #1657 73's

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Executive Director/Member Services Director

I worked Dave, KB3RAN/1 last night and he was portable in Maine.  Looks like he's the first APE station to activate so keep an eye out for him.

John
KC3FL

DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381

It is August.  I am operating portable.  I am on an expedition. But this is not my APE yet.  Hope you all will continue to talk to me as I work my way through Maine up to West Quoddy Head Lighthouse.  I've operated 2 days in August from 3 places and worked 5 stations so far.  I plan to get on the air daily in the afternoon or early evening after my travels for the day are done.  Hope to work every day up to the APE dates.  Then I have to boogey home after the 23rd when I get my 366.

I'm looking for APE's and 366er's.  Get on the air and I'll talk to you.  

Dave
KB3RAN
APE Manager

--
Dave H KB3RAN 1692/381

Chuck M

Enjoy Maine and eat some extra lobsters for us.  We were up there in18 and 19, skipped 20, and bought a house in Ohio for this year.  So no trip up there for us at present.  Maybe next year.

73s
Chuck
KD9DVB

On Monday, August 2, 2021, 7:50:43 PM EDT, DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381 via groups.io <davehardy0101@...> wrote:

It is August.  I am operating portable.  I am on an expedition. But this is not my APE yet.  Hope you all will continue to talk to me as I work my way through Maine up to West Quoddy Head Lighthouse.  I've operated 2 days in August from 3 places and worked 5 stations so far.  I plan to get on the air daily in the afternoon or early evening after my travels for the day are done.  Hope to work every day up to the APE dates.  Then I have to boogey home after the 23rd when I get my 366.

Dave
KB3RAN
APE Manager

--
Dave H KB3RAN 1692/381

Jim K5SP

Will be in Maine this weekend, but no radio gear.  Flying in to Bangor, visiting Hartland.

People we are visiting said that lobster prices are outrageous.  15.99 a pound for lobsters they could get for 6.00 a pound last year. 

Jim K5SP

On 8/3/2021 9:49 AM, Chuck M via groups.io wrote:
Enjoy Maine and eat some extra lobsters for us.  We were up there in18 and 19, skipped 20, and bought a house in Ohio for this year.  So no trip up there for us at present.  Maybe next year.

73s
Chuck
KD9DVB

On Monday, August 2, 2021, 7:50:43 PM EDT, DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381 via groups.io <davehardy0101@...> wrote:

Dave
KB3RAN
APE Manager

--
Dave H KB3RAN 1692/381

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Jerry N9AVY

When I was in Maine back in 1970s Lobsta was about $5 a lbs.  Lobsta used to be poor peoples food back in the day until the noveau riche decided it was good and drove the prices up.   Actually, Maine fisheries have limited the lobsta catch and that is why prices have gone up so Maine lobstermen can make a decent living.  

Jerry  n9avy

On Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 01:28:37 PM CDT, Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:

Will be in Maine this weekend, but no radio gear.  Flying in to Bangor, visiting Hartland.

People we are visiting said that lobster prices are outrageous.  15.99 a pound for lobsters they could get for 6.00 a pound last year. 

Jim K5SP

73s
Chuck
KD9DVB

Dave
KB3RAN
APE Manager

--
Dave H KB3RAN 1692/381

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Chuck M

Had not known the prices had gone up so much.  We were paying $7 per pound for soft shells in 2019 fresh off the boat.  Oh well.

Re  being poor peoples' food.  My understanding they used to be fed to prisoners because they were cheap.  Of course no melted butter and such for them.

73s
KD9DVB

On Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 2:43:00 PM EDT, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

When I was in Maine back in 1970s Lobsta was about $5 a lbs.  Lobsta used to be poor peoples food back in the day until the noveau riche decided it was good and drove the prices up.   Actually, Maine fisheries have limited the lobsta catch and that is why prices have gone up so Maine lobstermen can make a decent living.  

Jerry  n9avy

Jim K5SP

73s
Chuck
KD9DVB

Dave
KB3RAN
APE Manager

--
Dave H KB3RAN 1692/381

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Jerry N9AVY

Wouldn't doubt that lobster was fed to prisoners way back when.  Wealthy folks looked down upon lobster as "poor people's food".

In Wisconsin, it illegal to feed prisoners margarine/oleo and at one time anything that resembled butter, but wasn't, was against the law.  My parents used to smuggle margarine into Wisconsin for our relatives up there.  Emoji

Am sure that there are still laws on the books in other states where certain things are illegal that we would laugh at today. 

Jerry  n9avy

On Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 03:12:06 PM CDT, Chuck M via groups.io <cam51mail@...> wrote:

Had not known the prices had gone up so much.  We were paying $7 per pound for soft shells in 2019 fresh off the boat.  Oh well.

Re  being poor peoples' food.  My understanding they used to be fed to prisoners because they were cheap.  Of course no melted butter and such for them.

73s
KD9DVB

On Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 2:43:00 PM EDT, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

Jerry  n9avy

Jim K5SP

73s
Chuck
KD9DVB

Dave
KB3RAN
APE Manager

--
Dave H KB3RAN 1692/381

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381

We got boiled lobster for $9 a pound in Harpswell last week.  Had to pay for the sides extra but worth it.

Dave KB3RAN 

--
Dave H KB3RAN 1692/381