Antenna TESTING AND UPCOMING tdw


 

I've replaced some feedlines, and I'm doing some testing, looking for weak components.
In particular I'm testing the lower frequencies, 40 and 80 meters.
If anyone wants to do likewise, maybe we can do some skeds?
I'm available most evenings from greyline on.
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76 


Don - KM4UDX
 

Milt, I can do tonight at 10:00pm ET if that works.
Text me at 571-225-6180 if you want to try it out.
--
Don, km4udx, uBITX, and other obscure acronyms go here...


Jim K5SP
 

tell me time and place and I will be there

73

Jim K5SP

On 5/12/2021 11:31 PM, N6MG - Milt. via groups.io wrote:
I've replaced some feedlines, and I'm doing some testing, looking for weak components.
In particular I'm testing the lower frequencies, 40 and 80 meters.
If anyone wants to do likewise, maybe we can do some skeds?
I'm available most evenings from greyline on.
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76 

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Executive Director/Member Services Director


 

0200 Zulu tonight. 
10 pm Eastern
9 pm Central
8 pm Mountain
7 pm Pacific
3.581.5 MHz.

Milt.
N6MG
070-650 


-----Original Message-----
From: Jim K5SP <jinnis@...>
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Thu, May 13, 2021 7:18 am
Subject: Re: [070Club] Antenna TESTING AND UPCOMING tdw

tell me time and place and I will be there
73
Jim K5SP
On 5/12/2021 11:31 PM, N6MG - Milt. via groups.io wrote:
I've replaced some feedlines, and I'm doing some testing, looking for weak components.
In particular I'm testing the lower frequencies, 40 and 80 meters.
If anyone wants to do likewise, maybe we can do some skeds?
I'm available most evenings from greyline on.
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76 

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Executive Director/Member Services Director


Rick - N7WE
 

Milt-
I think that is the freq and time for W1AW Slow Code Practice tonight.  With their Alpha 87A amp, they pretty much take over the middle of the 3.580 to 3.582 slot here on the east coast.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602


 

Thanks for the info Rick.
It may be more of an issue for those in the East.
We may just have to move up above 3.582 or to wherever it's clean.
Milt.


-----Original Message-----
From: Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...>
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Thu, May 13, 2021 10:47 am
Subject: Re: [070Club] Antenna TESTING AND UPCOMING tdw

Milt-
I think that is the freq and time for W1AW Slow Code Practice tonight.  With their Alpha 87A amp, they pretty much take over the middle of the 3.580 to 3.582 slot here on the east coast.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602


Jim K5SP
 

Yeah, it will blow us away.  W1AW is always there with code practice and very strong here in north Texas.

Jim K5SP

On 5/13/2021 12:52 PM, N6MG - Milt. via groups.io wrote:
Thanks for the info Rick.
It may be more of an issue for those in the East.
We may just have to move up above 3.582 or to wherever it's clean.
Milt.


-----Original Message-----
From: Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...>
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Thu, May 13, 2021 10:47 am
Subject: Re: [070Club] Antenna TESTING AND UPCOMING tdw

Milt-
I think that is the freq and time for W1AW Slow Code Practice tonight.  With their Alpha 87A amp, they pretty much take over the middle of the 3.580 to 3.582 slot here on the east coast.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Executive Director/Member Services Director


 

Suggestions pls?
Milt.


-----Original Message-----
From: Jim K5SP <jinnis@...>
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Thu, May 13, 2021 11:06 am
Subject: Re: [070Club] Antenna TESTING AND UPCOMING tdw

Yeah, it will blow us away.  W1AW is always there with code practice and very strong here in north Texas.
Jim K5SP
On 5/13/2021 12:52 PM, N6MG - Milt. via groups.io wrote:
Thanks for the info Rick.
It may be more of an issue for those in the East.
We may just have to move up above 3.582 or to wherever it's clean.
Milt.


-----Original Message-----
From: Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...>
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Thu, May 13, 2021 10:47 am
Subject: Re: [070Club] Antenna TESTING AND UPCOMING tdw

Milt-
I think that is the freq and time for W1AW Slow Code Practice tonight.  With their Alpha 87A amp, they pretty much take over the middle of the 3.580 to 3.582 slot here on the east coast.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Executive Director/Member Services Director


Rick - N7WE
 

14 years after full "no-code" licensing and with all the online code practice (including ARRL's contribution) and things like CW Academy, I have to wonder how many people are regularly using W1AW code broadcasts.  It sure does screw up 80m PSK in the evenings here - Monday thru Friday.  

Milt, they don't broadcast on Sat or Sun, so that would be the best evenings to test 80m to the east.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602


Jerry N9AVY
 

Rick:

Actually it's been more like 20 years of no-code.  Took my Extra in 2000 and the code had been dropped ... not sure what month it was.    There are still people out there trying to learn or upgrade their CW skills. Code not necessarily as popular as it once was, but still has a following. Groups like CWOPS and others promote CW ad I believe that's a good thing . Operated a lot of CW over the years and have found that many CW operators are better behaved than folks on SSB.

Jerry  n9avy

On Thursday, May 13, 2021, 03:58:16 PM CDT, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:


14 years after full "no-code" licensing and with all the online code practice (including ARRL's contribution) and things like CW Academy, I have to wonder how many people are regularly using W1AW code broadcasts.  It sure does screw up 80m PSK in the evenings here - Monday thru Friday.  

Milt, they don't broadcast on Sat or Sun, so that would be the best evenings to test 80m to the east.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602


Eric KG6MZS
 

Really?  I took my General in 2004 and still had to pass the code requirement.  Perhaps not for Extra.  Admittedly I was one of the last Code Generals.

73 Eric KG6MZS

On 5/13/21 2:13 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Took my Extra in 2000 and the code had been dropped


K8TOM
 

2006 General for me and code test was required.

Tom 
K8TOM
815


Bill Williams
 

I passed element 2 (Technician) and element 3 (General) on 2/11/2002 and was awarded the Technician license.  I passed element 1 (5 wpm code) on 3-1-2002 and got the General license.  It is all right there on my CSCE forms.  I thought everyone kept them, we were told to as proof of examination and I still tell people to keep them when I am on a VE team.

73,
Bill
AG4QX
0398

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 6:32 PM K8TOM <tsingle@...> wrote:
2006 General for me and code test was required.

Tom 
K8TOM
815


Jerry N9AVY
 

Unless they gave me credit for 13 wpm when I was an Advanced in 1979.   Hmmmm....

Jerry  n9avy

On Thursday, May 13, 2021, 05:27:48 PM CDT, Eric KG6MZS <contact@...> wrote:



Really?  I took my General in 2004 and still had to pass the code
requirement.  Perhaps not for Extra.  Admittedly I was one of the last
Code Generals.

73 Eric KG6MZS

On 5/13/21 2:13 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
> Took my Extra in 2000 and the code had been dropped






Ron Bosch
 

Tom,
Until 2003/2004 you needed to pass Element 1 to get general, if you had an NC Tech licence and passed Element 1, but not element 3,  you were called Tech Plus.  After July 2003, WRC dropped all code requirements for Amateur radio licenses, and the US soon followed.  After April 2000, no more advanced licenses were issued, but any advanced was grandfathered.  Between 1992/1993 and 2003/2004 the only code requirement was element 1 (5 WPM).

Ron
KE4DRF


On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 5:49 PM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Unless they gave me credit for 13 wpm when I was an Advanced in 1979.   Hmmmm....

Jerry  n9avy

On Thursday, May 13, 2021, 05:27:48 PM CDT, Eric KG6MZS <contact@...> wrote:



Really?  I took my General in 2004 and still had to pass the code
requirement.  Perhaps not for Extra.  Admittedly I was one of the last
Code Generals.

73 Eric KG6MZS

On 5/13/21 2:13 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
> Took my Extra in 2000 and the code had been dropped






Stephen Melachrinos
 


Regarding code testing...

- All amateur licenses required code tests prior to 1991. Code speed was dependent on license class--5 wpm for Novice and Tech, 13 wpm for General and Advanced, and 20 wpm for Extra. (There were different rules prior to 1951, but most of us weren't licensed then.)

- Starting in 1991, a no-code Tech license was available, restricted to 50 MHz and above because international rules required Morse proficiency for HF privileges. Techs who had passed the 5 wpm code test were (eventually) re-classified as Technician Plus.

- On 15 April 2000, the massive change known as License Restructuring went into effect. Part of this was declaring that no new Novice or Advanced Licenses would be issued (though renewals could continue), but perhaps more significant was the elimination of the 13 wpm and 20 wpm code tests. So all remaining license classes that required code (Tech Plus, Advanced, or Extra) only required 5 wpm.

- In 2007, all code tests were eliminated. 

References:

http://ac6v.com/history.php

http://www.arrl.org/recent-fcc-actions

Steve
W3HF


K8TOM
 

OK, since I took my Extra soon after my General in 2006, I've probably conflated the two.

My code test was for 5 wpm and must have been for the Extra.  I know for sure that I had to take it and that it was eliminated soon afterwards!

Thanks for the clarification, Steve.

Tom
K8TOM
815


Stephen Melachrinos
 

More info, since folks started talking about the test elements:

From 1951 to 1987, test elements were as follows:

Element 1 was the code test. 1A was 5 wpm, 1B was 13 wpm, and 1C was 20 wpm
Element 2 was the Novice written
Element 3 was the General written
Element 4A was Advanced written
Element 4B was Extra written

A Novice license required 1A and 2. A Tech license required 1A, 2 and 3. A General required 1B, 2 and 3. Advanced required 1B, 2, 3, and 4A. And Extra required 1C, 2, 3, 4A and 4B.

In 1987, the General written (element 3) was split into two pieces. I think they were called elements 3A and 3B.

When License Restructuring was implemented in 2000, the written elements were renumbered. The contents of 2 and 3A were combined into a new Element 2 for Technician. 3B became the new Element 3 (General). And 4A and 4B were combined into the new Element 4 (Extra).

References:

(various license manuals--I have about 50 of them)

Steve
W3HF

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...>
To: main@070Club.groups.io <main@070Club.groups.io>
Sent: Thu, May 13, 2021 7:41 pm
Subject: Re: [070Club] Antenna TESTING AND UPCOMING tdw


Regarding code testing...

- All amateur licenses required code tests prior to 1991. Code speed was dependent on license class--5 wpm for Novice and Tech, 13 wpm for General and Advanced, and 20 wpm for Extra. (There were different rules prior to 1951, but most of us weren't licensed then.)

- Starting in 1991, a no-code Tech license was available, restricted to 50 MHz and above because international rules required Morse proficiency for HF privileges. Techs who had passed the 5 wpm code test were (eventually) re-classified as Technician Plus.

- On 15 April 2000, the massive change known as License Restructuring went into effect. Part of this was declaring that no new Novice or Advanced Licenses would be issued (though renewals could continue), but perhaps more significant was the elimination of the 13 wpm and 20 wpm code tests. So all remaining license classes that required code (Tech Plus, Advanced, or Extra) only required 5 wpm.

- In 2007, all code tests were eliminated. 

References:

http://ac6v.com/history.php

http://www.arrl.org/recent-fcc-actions

Steve
W3HF


Jerry N9AVY
 

Searched for that info but couldn't seem to find it.  Thanks Steve !

I recall when I passed Extra without code as at that time I had 13 wpm with the General/Advanced.  Recall at the time that some were calling it "the welfare Extra" license Emoji

I do recall being on cloud 9 because I hadn't studied for Extra before going to VEC. Did check my FCC data but they don't have complete records of what was passed and when.

Jerry  n9avy

On Thursday, May 13, 2021, 06:41:15 PM CDT, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...> wrote:





Regarding code testing...

- All amateur licenses required code tests prior to 1991. Code speed was dependent on license class--5 wpm for Novice and Tech, 13 wpm for General and Advanced, and 20 wpm for Extra. (There were different rules prior to 1951, but most of us weren't licensed then.)

- Starting in 1991, a no-code Tech license was available, restricted to 50 MHz and above because international rules required Morse proficiency for HF privileges. Techs who had passed the 5 wpm code test were (eventually) re-classified as Technician Plus.

- On 15 April 2000, the massive change known as License Restructuring went into effect. Part of this was declaring that no new Novice or Advanced Licenses would be issued (though renewals could continue), but perhaps more significant was the elimination of the 13 wpm and 20 wpm code tests. So all remaining license classes that required code (Tech Plus, Advanced, or Extra) only required 5 wpm.

- In 2007, all code tests were eliminated. 

References:

http://ac6v.com/history.php

http://www.arrl.org/recent-fcc-actions

Steve
W3HF


Jim K5SP
 

Got my extra March 1999 had the 20 wpm code test.

Jim K5SP 

On May 13, 2021 9:06 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Searched for that info but couldn't seem to find it.  Thanks Steve !

I recall when I passed Extra without code as at that time I had 13 wpm with the General/Advanced.  Recall at the time that some were calling it "the welfare Extra" license Emoji

I do recall being on cloud 9 because I hadn't studied for Extra before going to VEC. Did check my FCC data but they don't have complete records of what was passed and when.

Jerry  n9avy

On Thursday, May 13, 2021, 06:41:15 PM CDT, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...> wrote:





Regarding code testing...

- All amateur licenses required code tests prior to 1991. Code speed was dependent on license class--5 wpm for Novice and Tech, 13 wpm for General and Advanced, and 20 wpm for Extra. (There were different rules prior to 1951, but most of us weren't licensed then.)

- Starting in 1991, a no-code Tech license was available, restricted to 50 MHz and above because international rules required Morse proficiency for HF privileges. Techs who had passed the 5 wpm code test were (eventually) re-classified as Technician Plus.

- On 15 April 2000, the massive change known as License Restructuring went into effect. Part of this was declaring that no new Novice or Advanced Licenses would be issued (though renewals could continue), but perhaps more significant was the elimination of the 13 wpm and 20 wpm code tests. So all remaining license classes that required code (Tech Plus, Advanced, or Extra) only required 5 wpm.

- In 2007, all code tests were eliminated. 

References:

http://ac6v.com/history.php

http://www.arrl.org/recent-fcc-actions

Steve
W3HF


--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Executive Director/Member Services Director