Topics

Antarctica ??

John Hendry KG5OIB

I was looking at my 070 Awards Progress, and saw "Antarctica".    Is anyone in that area running PSK?     I have never seen a call from there since I've been doing PSK.... kinda like those elusive calls from SD, AK and Maine!  

And does anyone ever get PSK from Australia and NZ?  

73   John
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

de  KG5OIB

John Hendry

Decatur, Wise County, Texas

LOC:  EM13eg

JEFF WALSH

John:
I worked Antarctica years ago in PSK31 but it has been years since I copied anything from Antarctica in any mode.  
  73s
Jeff 
W3WMU 

On Jul 17, 2020, at 12:36 PM, John Hendry KG5OIB <archer@...> wrote:

I was looking at my 070 Awards Progress, and saw "Antarctica".    Is anyone in that area running PSK?     I have never seen a call from there since I've been doing PSK.... kinda like those elusive calls from SD, AK and Maine!  

73   John
--

de  KG5OIB

John Hendry

Eric KG6MZS

John,

I think I remember seeing a station on PSK from Antarctica, but not being able to work it.  I have a SSB contact in my log, but the OP never QSL'ed. :(

There is a station, DP0GVN that tantalizingly listens on FT8 on a bunch of bands and reports to PSK Reporter, but never keys down.

Eric

KG6MZS

PS; thanks for the stickers PODX 070 Club!

On 7/17/20 10:36 AM, John Hendry KG5OIB wrote:
I was looking at my 070 Awards Progress, and saw "Antarctica". Is anyone in that area running PSK?

Rick - N7WE

John-
I've never seen Antarctica on PSK31 but others have.  Guess I'm just not lucky on that.  I've worked both New Zealand and Austrailia PSK31 on 10m, 20m, and 40m.  That said, last ZL was in 2016 and last VK was 2017.  I still need a VK1 station to complete Worked All OZ.  Did work a VK1 using JT9, (also in 2017) but that didn't count.  So I'm waiting on sunspots - hi hi!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

David Westbrook

There's a "Database Statistics" link on the check site  http://hamclubs.info/070-checker/    that will give you data for these types of questions -- it will list out Q's by date for the commonly sought states/entities/grids/etc for endorsements.

e.g. look up AK, SD, ME on there, and you'll see who other members have worked recently -- and all 3 of those states are recently active... So you can try and email those calls for a sched.

Can see Antarctica on there, and that no one in the club has uploaded a QSO with AN newer than 2017. 

73!
--david
K2DW

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 1:36 PM John Hendry KG5OIB <archer@...> wrote:

73   John
--

de  KG5OIB

John Hendry

Mike Besemer - WM4B #348 <mwbesemer@...>

I don't know if anyone down there is still running psk31, but I get regular spot reports on WSPR from DP0GVN on 40 meters. 

Maybe someone can look him up and see if he's able to work PSK.

Mike
WM4B

On Jul 17, 2020 2:19 PM, JEFF WALSH <jeffwalsh1644@...> wrote:
John:

I worked Antarctica years ago in PSK31 but it has been years since I copied anything from Antarctica in any mode.
73s
Jeff
W3WMU

I was looking at my 070 Awards Progress, and saw "Antarctica". Is anyone in that area running PSK? I have never seen a call from there since I've been doing PSK.... kinda like those elusive calls from SD, AK and Maine!

73 John
--

de KG5OIB

John Hendry

LOC: EM13eg

Bill Williams

I also worked Antarctica years ago, a Ukraine station on Galindez Island .  I used to regularly work Australia and NZ but my last contact was in 2014.  Hopefully starting in a few years the solar cycle will allow us to work them again,

Bill
AG4QX

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 2:20 PM JEFF WALSH <jeffwalsh1644@...> wrote:
John:
  73s
Jeff 
W3WMU 

73   John
--

de  KG5OIB

John Hendry

Jerry N9AVY

Nice list, but I doubt the accuracy because it doesn't list the contact I made with Maine earlier this year.

Jerry N9AVY

On Friday, July 17, 2020, 01:44:49 PM CDT, David Westbrook <dwestbrook@...> wrote:

There's a "Database Statistics" link on the check site  http://hamclubs.info/070-checker/    that will give you data for these types of questions -- it will list out Q's by date for the commonly sought states/entities/grids/etc for endorsements.

e.g. look up AK, SD, ME on there, and you'll see who other members have worked recently -- and all 3 of those states are recently active... So you can try and email those calls for a sched.

Can see Antarctica on there, and that no one in the club has uploaded a QSO with AN newer than 2017. 

73!
--david
K2DW

73   John
--

de  KG5OIB

John Hendry

Jerry N9AVY

KC1MEI & W1DEY both in May 2020 .

jerry

On Friday, July 17, 2020, 01:53:06 PM CDT, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

Nice list, but I doubt the accuracy because it doesn't list the contact I made with Maine earlier this year.

Jerry N9AVY
On Friday, July 17, 2020, 01:44:49 PM CDT, David Westbrook <dwestbrook@...> wrote:

73!
--david
K2DW

73   John
--

de  KG5OIB

John Hendry

David Westbrook

Jerry, your KC1MEI & W1DEY contacts are listed right there where they're supposed to be ....   

So yes, it IS a nice AND ACCURATE list, if i don't say so myself! ;)
  (of course, it's only as accurate as the uploaded data ... e.g. qso in year 2208,  or KC4TIE in state KY, Cont=AN   are probably not right).

Been a full 3 years since it's been touched, too, and has automatically kept that stats page updated weekly with zero maintenance.

73!
--david
K2DW

image.png

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 2:53 PM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

Jerry N9AVY

73!
--david
K2DW

73   John
--

de  KG5OIB

John Hendry

Eric KG6MZS

On 7/17/20 11:47 AM, Mike Besemer - WM4B #348 wrote:

Mike, AFAICT DP0GVN doesn't work anything, just monitors.  Check out PSK Reporter and DP0GVN "sent by" signals.  Nada.

73 Eric, KG6MZS

1470 <boat.anchor@...>

Last contact with 8J1RL on 24MAY2020 FT8
Last Contact with VK0TH on 14DEC2011 PSK31
Total AN contacts 13
Barry
va7gem

1470 <boat.anchor@...>

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 11:47 AM, Mike Besemer - WM4B #348 wrote:
I don't know if anyone down there is still running psk31, but I get regular spot reports on WSPR from DP0GVN on 40 meters. 

Mike
WM4B
I have only wrkd him on FT8
Barry

Geary McDowell

I have those elusive  states and Australia on PSK.   I saw Antarctica a couple or three yrs ago, but couldn’t get a response.
Geary, KE5IRK

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 12:36 PM John Hendry KG5OIB <archer@...> wrote:

73   John
--

de  KG5OIB

John Hendry

--
When all else fails, Amateur Radio works.

Stephen Melachrinos

I've also had contacts with both of them, as well as 7 contacts with the Ukrainian stations EM1HO, EM1U and EM1KCC, and one with HF0POL. 

But the Ukrainians were in 2001-2004, HF0POL in 2002, the VK0 in 2011, and 8J1 in 2012. Nothing since.

Steve
W3HF

-----Original Message-----
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Jul 17, 2020 6:16 pm
Subject: Re: [070Club] Antarctica ??

Last contact with 8J1RL on 24MAY2020 FT8
Last Contact with VK0TH on 14DEC2011 PSK31
Total AN contacts 13
Barry
va7gem

Scotty W7PSK

I dont think they even have a ham radio station at the South Pole any more.  I still need Hole 13, and no ZL7 operation seems to be using PSK either.

On 7/17/2020 10:36, John Hendry KG5OIB wrote:

73   John
--

de  KG5OIB

John Hendry

--
Scotty W7PSK
Everett, Washington
070 #138

Jerry N9AVY

Went through my logs last night and found I've worked a pile of Antarctica stations , but on CW, RTTY and SSB. Not a bloomin one on PSK. There are several prefixes not just the KC4AAA-AAZ,; worked 4K1B (Russian base) and R1ANT. THe are prefixes like HL8, DT8, CE9, DP, , etc. So it may be possible to have worked Anartica without knowing.

Jerry N9AVY

On Monday, July 20, 2020, 08:36:26 AM CDT, Scotty W7PSK <w7psk@...> wrote:

I dont think they even have a ham radio station at the South Pole any more.  I still need Hole 13, and no ZL7 operation seems to be using PSK either.

73   John
--

de  KG5OIB

John Hendry

--
Scotty W7PSK
Everett, Washington
070 #138

Scotty W7PSK

Jerry,

the only one that counts for Hole 13 is KC4AAA ... I guess there are several other Antarctic stations.  just rarely see them. I do have a few including R1ANT on PSK31.

I just dont have the "Correct" one HI

Scotty W7PSK

On 7/20/2020 07:11, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Went through my logs last night and found I've worked a pile of Antarctica stations , but on CW, RTTY and SSB. Not a bloomin one on PSK. There are several prefixes not just the KC4AAA-AAZ,; worked 4K1B (Russian base) and R1ANT. THe are prefixes like HL8, DT8, CE9, DP, , etc. So it may be possible to have worked Anartica without knowing.

Jerry N9AVY
On Monday, July 20, 2020, 08:36:26 AM CDT, Scotty W7PSK <w7psk@...> wrote:

73   John
--

de  KG5OIB

John Hendry

--
Scotty W7PSK
Everett, Washington
070 #138