ALC Setup for ICOM 718

N9JCA Chris

Is anyone running an ICOM 718
MY signal is very HOT and I can't find the ALC Setup
I'm only doing 20 W on output but very red between the RailRoad
I know it was doing this in the TDW Contest that's why I had to shut down
Any Help would be appreciated Thanks
N9JCA Chris PODXS 797
73

Leland Sly

The amount of signal distortion and ALC deflection you get is determined by the speaker volume on your computer.  Turn the speaker volume down and watch the ALC deflection get less and less.  I adjust the speaker volume so I get no ALC deflection at all on the meter on the radio.  Once you are at that point your signal will be clean and have no distortion.

73

Lee N5SLY

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 1:25 PM N9JCA Chris <n9jca.chris@...> wrote:
Is anyone running an ICOM 718
MY signal is very HOT and I can't find the ALC Setup
I'm only doing 20 W on output but very red between the RailRoad
I know it was doing this in the TDW Contest that's why I had to shut down
Any Help would be appreciated  Thanks
N9JCA Chris PODXS 797
73

Mike / KC7MAW

I have an ICOM 718, not that it really matters all that much in this case.   I think you just need to turn down your Audio Drive.  If you are not running a separate sound card device like a Signalink, then things are narrowed down to just one windows audio level setting for your internal soundcard.

Just for fun, I bet if you increased your power out on the ICOM 718,  your ALC levels will also go down, but then you're transmitting at greater power.......

It's like a See Saw effect.

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

Also be aware that you audio in level setting may/will be different on different bands.  I watch my power out meter to make sure I'm actually getting out.  Also if you have a separate device between your rig and computer you may have an adjustment to control you audio in level.  This way you can leave your computer audio level at a set level.

Bob
KK6KMU

You need to drop the mic gain til you show Zero ALC.  Your mic gain is buried in a menu setting but if you're using Fldigi you can adjust the drive from the screen.  Down at the lower right of the screen there is a number between two sets of arrows, defaults at -3.0.  That is a TX attenuator.  Making that number more negative has the same affect as dropping the mic gain.  Using that method is handy because when you go from SSB to PSK Fldigi will adjust your drive.  Since HRD came from a copy of Fldigi it might have a similar feature like that.  When you hit Zero ALC your power out will drop abt 5 to 10%.

John
KC3FL

Lot's of our guys know a lot more.
But, the obvious:
Processor/Compressor on?
Mic gain?
What else?
Regardless of the radio, it's pretty much the same for all x-mitters.
At 20 watts, that shouldn't be a factor...but nothing is absolute.
Milt.
N6MG
070-650

MY signal is very HOT and I can't find the ALC Setup
I'm only doing 20 W on output but very red between the RailRoad
I know it was doing this in the TDW Contest that's why I had to shut down
Any Help would be appreciated  Thanks
N9JCA Chris PODXS 797
73

KN4ZXG

Push the set button on the IC718 to toggle the SWR, PO, ALC meters until you get to ALC.  If you've messed around with your audio levels on your soundcard, you can still tweak it more in the software, for instance, if you're using fldigi, there's tx attenuation in bottom, close to right hand side.  Keep scrolling it down and keep an eye on your ALC on the 718 until it's gone or just about gone.

I have a signalink and I've found I don't fiddle around with the TX/RX levels on it as often as messing with the TX levels in the software.

N9JCA Chris

OK All
Seems like I had the Waterfall setting to HIGH (-25)
changed it to -10 and it works. Thanks for all the suggestions
I knew it had to be something simple ( KISS theory )
N9JCA Chris PODXS 797
73

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 1:25 PM N9JCA Chris <n9jca.chris@outlook.com <mailto:n9jca.chris@outlook.com>> wrote:
Is anyone running an ICOM 718
MY signal is very HOT and I can't find the ALC Setup
I'm only doing 20 W on output but very red between the RailRoad
I know it was doing this in the TDW Contest that's why I had to shut
down
Any Help would be appreciated  Thanks
N9JCA Chris PODXS 797
73

N9JCA Chris

TO All
Now that I have this Problem solved
Is there anyone available to to a signal report on 40M
Just need to know if I'm transmitting OK
I'll be Monitoring freq for the next hour or 2
N9JCA Chris PODXS 797

On 6/13/21 8:07 PM, N9JCA Chris wrote:
[...]

Chris,

That is your receive side.  I normally set my FLDIGI waterfall receive gain to about -22 and then adjust you computer soundcard mic level to where you just see red than back off on the level a little.
I always get this messed up so here goes.

Receive level is controlled by your soundcard mic level
Transmit audio level is controlled you your soundcard speaker level.

AGC Automatic Gain Control I set to fast for digital modes AGC Protects your front end I believe.  Receive side

ALC Automictic Level Control attempts to control the audio input to you transmitter.  If ALC levels are too high you stand the chance to put your transmitter amplifier into the non linear region to cause noise ( harmonic noise) being transmitted.

Bob
KK6KMU