East, West, and in between on 160m

Rick - N7WE

Can someone help me understand what is going on with 160m and the group?  Seems like up and down the east coast we can make contacts.  Jim - K5SP - just north of Dallas Texas isn't having much luck and neither is Barry - VA7GEM - in North Vacouver BC.  I've worked John - KE4JB in NY - 1055 miles from my QTH, but haven't seen Jim - 963 miles from me.  I can understand not seeing Barry - that is 2587 miles.

So what is it?  Differences in the number of people on the band in different areas?  Is prop different N/S and E/W on 160?  Just differences in antennas?  Radiation patterns?  Differences in Tx power?  Maybe time of day?  The band does open and close based on sunset and sunrise.  I'm stumped.

The next time I rig the 6BTV for 160m I'm going to rotate the direction of the wire I use to top load it 90% and see if that makes a difference.  If I better understood how to use EZNEC maybe I could model the radiation pattern, but that is way beyond me.  I can do a simple dipole model, but when you get to trapped vertical with ground radials, with capacitive top loading, I'm completely over my head.

All opinions and thought are welcome.

And I am curious about it also. The other evening I could see 4-5 stations, with great copy on KX4WB and some copy on the others.  But the only one that I could QSO with was KX4WB, nobody else would respond. It seems that in my location, since I can see/hear some of the east coast stations, I should also be able to see Barry, but no luck there.

Can we get some midwest stations on?

Jim K5SP

On 2/1/2018 7:11 AM, Rick - N7WE wrote:
[...]

Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Rick - N7WE

Jim-

You may have said earlier and I missed it, but what are you using for an antenna on 160?  If it is a wire, how is it oriented?  How much power are you using?

Rick - N7WE

On 2/1/2018 08:34, Jim K5SP wrote:

And I am curious about it also. The other evening I could see 4-5 stations, with great copy on KX4WB and some copy on the others.  But the only one that I could QSO with was KX4WB, nobody else would respond. It seems that in my location, since I can see/hear some of the east coast stations, I should also be able to see Barry, but no luck there.

Can we get some midwest stations on?

*Rick - N7WE*
*070 - #1602*

Jerry N9AVY

Rick:

Not trying to be a wise cracker, but I think the answer to all your questions is YES.

Propagation has a lot to do with it, but so does the antenna, power out, soil conductivity, time of day/night, etc. A vertical is not the ideal receiving antenna as they tend to pick up more noise. That's wht you hear a lot about beverage antennas in 160m discussions... and sometimes magnetic loops.  Both are receive ONLY antennas and will give you better signal to noise ratios. Beverage antennas can be around 5 ft off the ground or lower and run along a fence posts; the longer , the better and they are terminated at the far end with a 600 ohm resistor. There's a lot of info on the net about these.  I have a little box that is basically a loading coil that attaches to a wire; used it a few years back and it seemed to work.  A friend I got it from lived near some woods and would run a wire a couple hundred feet out into woods or a farm field in the Winter, but had to get it out of farm field before Spring planting.
Jerry  N9AVY

[...]

Jerry-

No worry Jerry, I think you qualify as "wise," but you've got to be from a long line of native born in Florida to be a "cracker" - hi hi.  Google "florida cracker."

If I'm understanding right, Jim can hear but can't be heard.  Barry can't hear.  The beverage would certainly help with hearing, but how do you deal with not being heard?  When I was using the inverted L, I could hear a bunch but no one could hear me.  The top loaded vertical solved the problem.  So was that a difference in radiation pattern, just antenna efficiency, or what?  Sure would like to help Jim, Barry and others get some 160 contacts before the season ends.

Rick - N7WE

On 2/1/2018 09:29, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Rick:

Not trying to be a wise cracker, but I think the answer to all your questions is YES.

Think it might be a combination of all those factors plus a bit of "luck".

Had a bit of luck with my 160m Alpha-Delta DX-A homebrew dual sloper on 160 and managed to work a station in Iowa running 5 watts in July one year, but then I replaced it with a "real"  DX-A  and things were never the same' in that I couldn't load up on 160m . With temp currently at 16 F  it now looks like a Spring/Summer project.

I'd suggest y'all keep trying 160 because I suspect some days on that band are hotter than others.

Jerry n9avy

No worry Jerry, I think you qualify as "wise," but you've got to be from a long line of native born in Florida to be a "cracker" - hi hi.  Google "florida cracker."
If I'm understanding right, Jim can hear but can't be heard.  Barry can't hear.  The beverage would certainly help with hearing, but how do you deal with not being heard?  When I was using the inverted L, I could hear a bunch but no one could hear me.  The top loaded vertical solved the problem.  So was that a difference in radiation pattern, just antenna efficiency, or what?  Sure would like to help Jim, Barry and others get some 160 contacts before the season ends.
Rick - N7WE

On 2/1/2018 09:29, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Rick:

Not trying to be a wise cracker, but I think the answer to all your questions is YES.

Brian (N2MLP)

HAVE TO AGREE

Its hit or miss

No worry Jerry, I think you qualify as "wise," but you've got to be from a long line of native born in Florida to be a "cracker" - hi hi.  Google "florida cracker."

If I'm understanding right, Jim can hear but can't be heard.  Barry can't hear.  The beverage would certainly help with hearing, but how do you deal with not being heard?  When I was using the inverted L, I could hear a bunch but no one could hear me.  The top loaded vertical solved the problem.  So was that a difference in radiation pattern, just antenna efficiency, or what?  Sure would like to help Jim, Barry and others get some 160 contacts before the season ends.

Rick - N7WE

On 2/1/2018 09:29, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

Rick:

Not trying to be a wise cracker, but I think the answer to all your questions is YES.

B C <k9wis@...>

I would like to hear how you are top loading that vertical for 160M...I am using a Cushcraft AP8A..and can almost get it to tune on 160..well, get the swr down to 2:1 anyway..but who knows what the R and X are..It could be a worm warmer on that band.
Brian K9WIS

--
*Rick - N7WE*
*070 - #1602*

Richard Rohrer

Like Rick, I find the propagation better N/S than E/W. Worked N2MLP in PA last night. Saw a couple of faint traces, but could not get any decode from them. Only heard a couple of CW signals and no SSB last night.

73
Dick - KC3EF

[...]

Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...>

Rick - that's a bit of surprising news with your inverted L, as verticals dominate on top band from what I hear. For transmitting I mean... the beverages and other "different" antennas are supposed to be the key to hearing well on 160. I can't do a beverage as I don't have several hundred feet to run wires off the ground, so an active antenna or mag-loop will probably be my receiving solution when I put up my inverted L later this year (hopefully!)

What configuration was it?

How high did it go before the wire turned horizontal?

How many radials did you have?

I understand that the radial field under an inverted L is more important than on a trapped vertical, and I can tell you from personal experience that it is VERY important on a trapped vertical!

Inquiring minds wanna know....

73

Matt
AK4MK

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 9:51 AM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

[...]

Randy True

I'm using a simple 160M dipole at about 25" an I have had good luck on 160. But again, most contacts have been East coast lataly.

Randy W4RTT

No worry Jerry, I think you qualify as "wise," but you've got to be from a long line of native born in Florida to be a "cracker" - hi hi.  Google "florida cracker."
If I'm understanding right, Jim can hear but can't be heard.  Barry can't hear.  The beverage would certainly help with hearing, but how do you deal with not being heard?  When I was using the inverted L, I could hear a bunch but no one could hear me.  The top loaded vertical solved the problem.  So was that a difference in radiation pattern, just antenna efficiency, or what?  Sure would like to help Jim, Barry and others get some 160 contacts before the season ends.
Rick - N7WE

On 2/1/2018 09:29, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Rick:

Not trying to be a wise cracker, but I think the answer to all your questions is YES.

Using an end-fed wire. Oriented kind of NW-SE. And running about 50 watts.  Crank it up to 80 watts at times on this band, but any higher start getting ALC.  SWR is about 1.4 on the wire.

My contact the other evening was with KX4WB who is in TN, so think I am getting out East.

Have a Gap Titan DX vertical, but it doesn't want to load on 160, even using an external tuner instead of the rigs internal tuner.

On the top band, I am starting to feel like Barry does on all bands.  hihi

Jim K5SP

On 2/1/2018 8:10 AM, Rick - N7WE wrote:
Jim-

You may have said earlier and I missed it, but what are you using for an antenna on 160?  If it is a wire, how is it oriented?  How much power are you using?

Rick - N7WE

On 2/1/2018 08:34, Jim K5SP wrote:

And I am curious about it also. The other evening I could see 4-5 stations, with great copy on KX4WB and some copy on the others.  But the only one that I could QSO with was KX4WB, nobody else would respond. It seems that in my location, since I can see/hear some of the east coast stations, I should also be able to see Barry, but no luck there.

Can we get some midwest stations on?

Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Arthur Peters

I've been watching this with some interest, as I have the "Top Band disease" and conclude  a number of things:

1) 160 is not fair, propagation can be one way (I hear you, you do not hear me...)
2) Grayline is really fun and unpredictable....
3) Antenna's are important and can be impacted by environment (what's around) to a greater distance than higher frequency bands
4) Rig can make a big difference, I used the same antenna, same QTH with my iCom746 Pro and my Elecraft KX3, I heard way more on the Elecraft than the iCom
the next year I traded my iCom for an Elecraft K3s and noticed a similar, though not quite as stark an improvement for the K3s over the KX3.

Lots of variables, part of the fun of amateur radio operations (and 160 in particular)

73 es God Bless,

Art / K0ACP

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 10:39 AM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
[...]

Hey, Jim - what sort of counterpoise are you using on your end-fed wire?  How high is it? How long is it?

Inquiring minds wanna know more!

73

Matt
AK4MK

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 1:11 PM, Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:
[...]

JEFF WALSH

Hello all ..... I am using a homebrew fan dipole 5 bander 10m,15/40m,20m,40m and 80m. It is center fed at 25' with a coax choke running South to North. I also have a dedicated full length 160m dipole also running South to North. Now the kicker is that I can load all bands including 160m on my multi-band fan dipole at 1.2 to 1. or better using a MFJ 993B auto tuner. On the dedicated 160m dipole I really have a hard time getting it down to a acceptable match. I figure that is because of it is also up at abt 25' and too close to the ground.

My father{SK} was a ham for about 70 years and always said you can get a good match but the real question how efficient is the antenna ?

That's the setup here but I am lucky and live in the country on 10 acres with no restrictions of any kind. I previously lived in zero tolorance deed restricted subdivision in FL. I have a lot sympathy for those that live under such conditions having been there myself.

The above information comes from technically challanged ham.

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Joseph Molon <ljl2002@...>

Dick,

I observed, over the past 8 months or so, that generally N/S is working much better than E/W from here on the east side.  Used to be a slam dunk to the Euros.  All you had to decide is to whom to talk to.  Now it is much more scarce here and probably near impossible for mid and west side.  It is the same if you are trying to work stations in W6 or 7 land from here.  Barry and I made real efforts this year to link up without success.  After June I never even saw his signal when I know he was on because I saw all the stations that were talking with him. Low solar numbers are just not getting it done. There has been a slight improvement over the last month but it is nowhere near what it used to be.  I'm hoping that the ionosphere gods will again orient the electrons in a E/W pattern before we hit the bottom of this cycle.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

---- Rick - N7WE wrote:
[...]

I decided to look in my logbook to see how long it's been since Barry and I worked. It's a 2265mi trip from Hamilton, GA to North Vancouver, BC.

I got him twice last year on 20m with his VB7150 call.

We didn't work in 2016.

In 2015, we worked on 20m and 12m.

In 2014, we worked on 10m, 15m, 17m, 20m, and 30m.

My, how times have changed!  Hopefully we'll start swinging upward on the sunspot cycle in just a couple years so that things can improve.

Hang in there, Barry!

73

Matt
AK4MK
Inline image 1Inline image 2

---- Rick - N7WE  wrote:
[...]

No counter poise.  Am using the 88 foot QSO-King by NU0R.  It's up about 30 foot. Has a line isolator in the feed coax.

Jim

On 2/1/2018 12:34 PM, Matthew King - AK4MK wrote:
[...]

William B

I am using an inverted L on 160. Yesterday was my anniversary so I didn't get to make any contacts.  I will be around this evening, (I hope) if anybody else needs 160 meter contacts.

William
KX4WB

[...]

Mike Besemer - WM4B #348 <mwbesemer@...>

Yep.   I see it not only on 160, but pretty much on all the bands.  Old Sol must be playing tricks with us.

Mike
WM4B