From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of Rick - N7WE
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2018 3:30 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: [070Club] Another go at 160m tonight

OK, a different approach to an antenna now operational.  I'll be on 1.807 near 0100 UTC calling CQ.  Prop from last night was reported as good from then until it started to fall off about 1200 UTC.  And no contest showing on WA7BNM's contest calendar. This antenna setup shows 3.1:1 SWR and tunes to 1.1:1 with my internal tuner.  It remains to be seen if it can hear and speak.  Any help greatly appreciated!

Richard Rohrer

Hi Rick,

I will listen also from Gainesville.

73

Dick – KC3EF

OK, a different approach to an antenna now operational.  I'll be on 1.807 near 0100 UTC calling CQ.  Prop from last night was reported as good from then until it started to fall off about 1200 UTC.  And no contest showing on WA7BNM's contest calendar. This antenna setup shows 3.1:1 SWR and tunes to 1.1:1 with my internal tuner.  It remains to be seen if it can hear and speak.  Any help greatly appreciated!

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

I’ll keep a lookout for you in Middle GA.

Mike

WM4B

BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Monday, January 29, 2018 2:29 PM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

OK, a different approach to an antenna now operational.  I'll be on 1.807 near 0100 UTC calling CQ.  Prop from last night was reported as good from then until it started to fall off about 1200 UTC.  And no contest showing on WA7BNM's contest calendar. This antenna setup shows 3.1:1 SWR and tunes to 1.1:1 with my internal tuner.  It remains to be seen if it can hear and speak.  Any help greatly appreciated!

see Randy at about 1808.1 but guess he cannot hear me.
Made one tonight with KX4WB, he is strong into north Texas, and solid copy on him.

Must not be my night.
--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

JEFF WALSH

Rick .... ur antenna setup doing fb here in MS ....good copy last 10 minutes

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Monday, January 29, 2018 2:29 PM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

OK, a different approach to an antenna now operational.  I'll be on 1.807 near 0100 UTC calling CQ.  Prop from last night was reported as good from then until it started to fall off about 1200 UTC.  And no contest showing on WA7BNM's contest calendar. This antenna setup shows 3.1:1 SWR and tunes to 1.1:1 with my internal tuner.  It remains to be seen if it can hear and speak.  Any help greatly appreciated!

Randy True

Well, I made out with 6 contacts.

N2MLP

N7WE

KC3EF

W3WMU

WM4B

KX4WB

Randy W4RTT

Rick .... ur antenna setup doing fb here in MS ....good copy last 10 minutes

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Monday, January 29, 2018 2:29 PM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

OK, a different approach to an antenna now operational.  I'll be on 1.807 near 0100 UTC calling CQ.  Prop from last night was reported as good from then until it started to fall off about 1200 UTC.  And no contest showing on WA7BNM's contest calendar. This antenna setup shows 3.1:1 SWR and tunes to 1.1:1 with my internal tuner.  It remains to be seen if it can hear and speak.  Any help greatly appreciated!

Well now that was just plain fun!  Many thanks to all who came out.  I did manage to complete my top band endorsement.  Whew!  It sure is a lot easier when the antenna can hear and speak.  What I did was run a wire off the 80m resonator on the top of the Hustler 6BTV to add top load capacitance.  Saw it on the internet.  Ended up with the wire being about 19' 6" long and that got things to where the internal tuner on the K3 handled it with no problems...and no auto backing down the power.  Not an effecient set up, and I loose 80m with this configuration, but it got the job done.  Thanks for all the reports guys.

Jim, I never saw you.  But I think I worked everyone I could hear.  It was mostly N&S - NY, PA, NC, GA, KY, TN, and MS.  Thanks again to you all!

JEFF WALSH

congrats Rick on ur Top Band 20 .... u earned it !!

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Monday, January 29, 2018 8:11 PM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

Well now that was just plain fun!  Many thanks to all who came out.  I did manage to complete my top band endorsement.  Whew!  It sure is a lot easier when the antenna can hear and speak.  What I did was run a wire off the 80m resonator on the top of the Hustler 6BTV to add top load capacitance.  Saw it on the internet.  Ended up with the wire being about 19' 6" long and that got things to where the internal tuner on the K3 handled it with no problems...and no auto backing down the power.  Not an effecient set up, and I loose 80m with this configuration, but it got the job done.  Thanks for all the reports guys.

Jim, I never saw you.  But I think I worked everyone I could hear.  It was mostly N&S - NY, PA, NC, GA, KY, TN, and MS.  Thanks again to you all!

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

Congrats, Rick!

My path was also N-S, but managed to get 6 new calls in the log. Got a long way to go, but this sure helped. Glad to see so many guys come out.

73,

Mike
WM4B

Well now that was just plain fun! Many thanks to all who came out. I did manage to complete my top band endorsement. Whew! It sure is a lot easier when the antenna can hear and speak. What I did was run a wire off the 80m resonator on the top of the Hustler 6BTV to add top load capacitance. Saw it on the internet. Ended up with the wire being about 19' 6" long and that got things to where the internal tuner on the K3 handled it with no problems...and no auto backing down the power. Not an effecient set up, and I loose 80m with this configuration, but it got the job done. Thanks for all the reports guys.

Jim, I never saw you. But I think I worked everyone I could hear. It was mostly N&S - NY, PA, NC, GA, KY, TN, and MS. Thanks again to you all!

Richard Rohrer

Nice time on 160 last night.  I worked W4RTT, K4ARE, KX4WB, and WM4B which increased my state count to 5 states on 160.  I did not manage to work Rick, N7WE, although I think I saw him on the waterfall briefly.  I thought that since our QTH are fairly close I would get him on ground wave, but no luck.

Rick, what website suggested the mod to the 6BTV, as I have one also?

73

Dick – KC3EF

070 - 747