Another go at 160m tonight

Rick - N7WE

OK, a different approach to an antenna now operational.  I'll be on 1.807 near 0100 UTC calling CQ.  Prop from last night was reported as good from then until it started to fall off about 1200 UTC.  And no contest showing on WA7BNM's contest calendar. This antenna setup shows 3.1:1 SWR and tunes to 1.1:1 with my internal tuner.  It remains to be seen if it can hear and speak.  Any help greatly appreciated!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Brian (N2MLP)

Will look for you

From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of Rick - N7WE
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2018 3:30 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: [070Club] Another go at 160m tonight

OK, a different approach to an antenna now operational.  I'll be on 1.807 near 0100 UTC calling CQ.  Prop from last night was reported as good from then until it started to fall off about 1200 UTC.  And no contest showing on WA7BNM's contest calendar. This antenna setup shows 3.1:1 SWR and tunes to 1.1:1 with my internal tuner.  It remains to be seen if it can hear and speak.  Any help greatly appreciated!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Richard Rohrer

Hi Rick,

I will listen also from Gainesville.

Dick – KC3EF

--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

I’ll keep a lookout for you in Middle GA.

Mike

WM4B

--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Jim K5SP

I will also listen from Gainesville.  (Texas that is).

May not transmit, could not get either antenna to properly load Saturday evening, and if same result this evening will just listen and report on this forum anything I see/hear/copy.

Jim K5SP

On 1/29/2018 3:25 PM, Richard Rohrer wrote:

Hi Rick,

I will listen also from Gainesville.

Dick – KC3EF

--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Just work KX4WB – the band is open!

Mike
WM4B

OK, a different approach to an antenna now operational. I'll be on 1.807 near 0100 UTC calling CQ. Prop from last night was reported as good from then until it started to fall off about 1200 UTC. And no contest showing on WA7BNM's contest calendar. This antenna setup shows 3.1:1 SWR and tunes to 1.1:1 with my internal tuner. It remains to be seen if it can hear and speak. Any help greatly appreciated!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Jim K5SP

See KX4WB and W4RTT but guess they cannot hear me. 
--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Jim K5SP

Have been calling CQ for the last 20 minutes or so, so far no takers.

However, I have seen KC3EF, W3WMU, W4RTT, KX4WB in the waterfall with fair copy, and some others with no copy. 

Is anyone out there seeing my puny signal?
--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Randy True

Where are u on the water fall?

Randy W4RTT

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> on behalf of Jim K5SP <jinnis@...>
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2018 8:20 PM
Subject: Re: [070Club] Another go at 160m tonight

Have been calling CQ for the last 20 minutes or so, so far no takers.

However, I have seen KC3EF, W3WMU, W4RTT, KX4WB in the waterfall with fair copy, and some others with no copy. 

Is anyone out there seeing my puny signal?
--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Jim K5SP

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

JEFF WALSH

Rick ... hopefully u are closing in on #20 .....

Jim ..... been looking for u but not seeing anything ...

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Monday, January 29, 2018 2:29 PM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Jim K5SP

see Randy at about 1808.1 but guess he cannot hear me.
Made one tonight with KX4WB, he is strong into north Texas, and solid copy on him.

Must not be my night.
--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

JEFF WALSH

Rick .... ur antenna setup doing fb here in MS ....good copy last 10 minutes  

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Randy True

Well, I made out with 6 contacts.

N2MLP

N7WE

KC3EF

W3WMU

WM4B

KX4WB

Randy W4RTT

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> on behalf of JEFF WALSH <jeffwalsh1644@...>
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2018 8:39 PM

Rick .... ur antenna setup doing fb here in MS ....good copy last 10 minutes  

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Rick - N7WE

Well now that was just plain fun!  Many thanks to all who came out.  I did manage to complete my top band endorsement.  Whew!  It sure is a lot easier when the antenna can hear and speak.  What I did was run a wire off the 80m resonator on the top of the Hustler 6BTV to add top load capacitance.  Saw it on the internet.  Ended up with the wire being about 19' 6" long and that got things to where the internal tuner on the K3 handled it with no problems...and no auto backing down the power.  Not an effecient set up, and I loose 80m with this configuration, but it got the job done.  Thanks for all the reports guys.  

Jim, I never saw you.  But I think I worked everyone I could hear.  It was mostly N&S - NY, PA, NC, GA, KY, TN, and MS.  Thanks again to you all!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

JEFF WALSH

congrats Rick on ur Top Band 20 .... u earned it !!

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Monday, January 29, 2018 8:11 PM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

Well now that was just plain fun!  Many thanks to all who came out.  I did manage to complete my top band endorsement.  Whew!  It sure is a lot easier when the antenna can hear and speak.  What I did was run a wire off the 80m resonator on the top of the Hustler 6BTV to add top load capacitance.  Saw it on the internet.  Ended up with the wire being about 19' 6" long and that got things to where the internal tuner on the K3 handled it with no problems...and no auto backing down the power.  Not an effecient set up, and I loose 80m with this configuration, but it got the job done.  Thanks for all the reports guys.  

Jim, I never saw you.  But I think I worked everyone I could hear.  It was mostly N&S - NY, PA, NC, GA, KY, TN, and MS.  Thanks again to you all!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Congrats, Rick!

My path was also N-S, but managed to get 6 new calls in the log. Got a long way to go, but this sure helped. Glad to see so many guys come out.

Mike
WM4B

Sent: Monday, January 29, 2018 9:11 PM

Well now that was just plain fun! Many thanks to all who came out. I did manage to complete my top band endorsement. Whew! It sure is a lot easier when the antenna can hear and speak. What I did was run a wire off the 80m resonator on the top of the Hustler 6BTV to add top load capacitance. Saw it on the internet. Ended up with the wire being about 19' 6" long and that got things to where the internal tuner on the K3 handled it with no problems...and no auto backing down the power. Not an effecient set up, and I loose 80m with this configuration, but it got the job done. Thanks for all the reports guys.

Jim, I never saw you. But I think I worked everyone I could hear. It was mostly N&S - NY, PA, NC, GA, KY, TN, and MS. Thanks again to you all!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Richard Rohrer

Nice time on 160 last night.  I worked W4RTT, K4ARE, KX4WB, and WM4B which increased my state count to 5 states on 160.  I did not manage to work Rick, N7WE, although I think I saw him on the waterfall briefly.  I thought that since our QTH are fairly close I would get him on ground wave, but no luck. 

Rick, what website suggested the mod to the 6BTV, as I have one also?

Dick – KC3EF

070 - 747

--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Rick - N7WE

Dick I saw you briefly but couldn't get you long enough to work you.  Sorry, would have liked to pay you back for the grids on your trip!  The website I used was https://k5acl.wordpress.com/2017/02/08/adding-160-meters-to-a-hustler-6btv/  I used the same basic approach with the wire running horizontally toward the peak of my roof.  I started out with a wire length of 24 feet.  I could only work off the auto tuner in the K3 for trimming as the MFJ259B chose not to work on 160m - to much local RF and I don't have their adjustable filter.  And my Daiwa CN-801 just isn't accurate enough.    I ended up at 19' 6" which got me to about a 3:1 on the antenna itself, and the K3 internal tuner brought it to 1.1:1. Lots of hoisting it up and letting it down.  But last night made it worth the effort!  Good  luck if you have a go at it. 

One other note:  I did drop one of the 3/32 allen head setscrews in the grass when I was changing out the whip for the wire.  Didn't even bother to look for it.  Just made a hardware store run this morning for a replacement.  Bought several hi hi!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Anyone going to play tonight?  I'd love to catch a few new calls tonight.  I know there were a couple on last night I didn't get to work.

Mike
WM4B

On Jan 30, 2018 12:48 PM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:
Dick I saw you briefly but couldn't get you long enough to work you. Sorry, would have liked to pay you back for the grids on your trip! The website I used was https://k5acl.wordpress.com/2017/02/08/adding-160-meters-to-a-hustler-6btv/ I used the same basic approach with the wire running horizontally toward the peak of my roof. I started out with a wire length of 24 feet. I could only work off the auto tuner in the K3 for trimming as the MFJ259B chose not to work on 160m - to much local RF and I don't have their adjustable filter. And my Daiwa CN-801 just isn't accurate enough. I ended up at 19' 6" which got me to about a 3:1 on the antenna itself, and the K3 internal tuner brought it to 1.1:1. Lots of hoisting it up and letting it down. But last night made it worth the effort! Good luck if you have a go at it.

One other note: I did drop one of the 3/32 allen head setscrews in the grass when I was changing out the whip for the wire. Didn't even bother to look for it. Just made a hardware store run this morning for a replacement. Bought several hi hi!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602