Winter Field Day

Jerry N9AVY

Okay ...   so I got hooked into this event last night around 0200 UTC on 80m. I was going to stay out of it, but no other bands were open.  Haven't that much activity on 80m in a long time. Hung around until 0645 UTC and it was still going, but activity was starting to dwindle.  Heard  AK4MK and KK4HEG .

That was a lot of activity on 80m PSK  which begs the question, why isn't 80m is use more ?  This would be great if 80 was open because a lot more members could work on their 366. When I worked on mine I operated a lot of 80m.

(  On a footnote I noticed in the WFD rules that it was specifically stated "No FT-8 Allowed" !)

Heard on 80m last night were just about all the states except for AK & HI , but I saw someone working a KL7 who may have been in AK or stateside.

Think that 070 members should explore more 80m contacts before spring arrives.  Also worked a station in PA  who wanted to work 160m , but was chased off by the contest and told him there was a group of PODXS members looking to operate 160 and he should look for them next weekend. .  Next weekend may be good for 160m, keep your fingers crossed.

That's my report from Illinois, land of taxes and the best politicians money can buy !

n9avy

Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...>

Winter Field Day was a great lot of fun here for W4CVY (Columbus, GA Amateur Radio Club) this year!

We did quite a bit of PSK operation, lots of CW, lots of SSB, and even managed to get a 160m antenna up across the rifle range at the blackpowder facility we were graciously granted access to for our event.

With my whole hear, I'd recommend that y'all get your various clubs to look into it for next year. Last year it had a few hundred people involved after nearly dying out the year before, but a new group of guys have grabbed the bull by the horns and rousted up several thousand people this year. It should be larger still next year!  It was GREAT fun!

Y'all study on it - check out the facebook page for "Winter Field Day".

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 12:38 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
[...]

Geary McDowell

I am not one to contest really.  I try to participate in Field Day in the summer in our 100-115 degree heat (116 was our high record a few years ago and the AC in the two EM trailers were not working), but I have been playing with this FT8 stuff.  Nice quick and dirty for contest stuff.  I do little voice due to major hearing issues.  I really like PSK so one may have a conversation if they wish or if contesting it can be quick too.  I was encouraged to participate in WFD this year and tried it.  I ended up with ONE QSO on simplex from the guy who encouraged me to try it this year. From the opening bell until about midnight I saw four stations and they faded in and out so badly I never saw one complete a full PSK QSO.  I tried to log a 4O ORG station, but Scott's software rejected it.  I have done a ton of QSOs on 80 and 30 this month, hardly had any luck in the past, all but 40 of my 750 or so QSO have been FT8.  I prefer PSK but sure seem to have a lot of trouble decoding it here.  Yet for the PSKFEST it was great.  Time to spread some PSK around on the bands.
Geary, KE5IRK

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 11:38 AM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
[...]

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

I agree... 80 has been very good for me when I can find someone there to work.

Mike

WM4B

On January 28, 2018 at 12:38 PM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

[...]

Randy True

I'm usually up around 6am and I start on 160 and move up as the morning goes and  get little on n160 or 80.

I don't know. I's nice and quiet and the stations that do turn up are easy to work.

Randy W4RTT

[...]

Joseph Molon <ljl2002@...>

Jerry,
No FT8.  That's why there was so much PSK31.  Loved it.  I wasn't going to get in but there were so many stations on 40m I couldn't resist.  Too bad it wasn't like that all the time.  You would be able to do WTW in a week.  I checked 20m but only made a few Q's.  The real action was on 40m the whole time.  Just like the old days.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 12:38 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

[...]

Matt,
U R right.  It was fun.  I never entered WFD before but the sheer number of hams on 40m changed my mind quick.  This year I was 1H CT because I am still putting together my mobile setup so next time I may be freezing the buttocks off up here in CT.  I really envied those hams that were in FL or AZ and outside.  I have the utmost respect for those who were outside up in the frozen north country.  Polar Bear Club for sure.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 12:47 PM, Matthew King - AK4MK wrote:

[...]

Paul Milward <nu4c@...>

Joe,
you may freeze in CT. But the end of June ain't pleasant for outdoor OPs in either FL or AZ. Been there, done that.
Paul
NU4C #824

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

[...]

Jim K5SP

Geary, what is your setup?

Worked a little 80 from here Friday eve, was unable to be on ladt night. Condx here due to qrm/qrn were not the best.

Anything I can do to help, let me know.

73
JIM K5SP

[...]

Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Joseph Molon <ljl2002@...>

Paul,
Ya got a point there Paul.  I guess there is enough FD to go around.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482