Who’ll let the Chimps out?

stan W9SMR

Endorsement Daze #6 is just a few days away, but do we have any CHIMPS preparing to launch into the field?

I have heard a rumor that Rick, N7WE; Eric, KG6MZS and Dave, KB3RAN are headed out!

Check the details on our Homepage at 070 Homepage

And remember, this is also a chance to get started on those WARC Endorsements!

Post your plans on the Reflector!

73,
Stan

W9SMR - 070  #1611

PODXS 070 - PR Director

PR@...

Cliff Clark

I'm planning to go to a POTA park on Saturday.  I'll be on 30/17/12 PSK31.

I'm not sure which park yet, and exactly when though.

I'll post a message to the group when I'm on the air.

--
Cliff AG7CC 070-2893

stan W9SMR

Cliff, AG7CC - We'll be looking for you.

Let us know the details!

73,
Stan

[X][cid:attach_0_16EDE8F90DE3FA02_18298@groups.io]

Check the details on our Homepage at 070 Homepage<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.podxs070.com%2F&data=05%7C01%7C%7Cceb176ca692742bb357c08da32effcad%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637878303559083119%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=Ot7iXRSaKIwRU8ZI%2Bk0SrLTEYsXPKlyLlU0ReGiNEyA%3D&reserved=0>

PR@...<mailto:PR@...>

--
Cliff AG7CC 070-2893

Darin - NY7H

Did someone say Chimps?

No park this year but I will be operating on my terrace.  I'll be using the IC-7100 and Super Antenna.  I'm going to try and run 2 batteries in parallel to provide power.  I blew a fuse last year so hopefully the new configuration will provide better results.  I've got commercial power up there if needed.  Here's a couple of pics.
More testing the setup tomorrow.

I'll be on the air with a new callsign NY7H.

Darin
NY7H

Barry VA7GEM

Do we have a list of Chimps put together so we know who to watch for?

Eric Dallmann

I'll be at a park at some point during the Endorsement Daze, provided the weather cooperates.  It's supposed to storm tomorrow afternoon through Sunday, but I'm sure I can slip something in.  I probably won't know until just before I go out, though.  I'll post here and on the POTA app before I start.

I'll be using the club call N9ANA for the activation (PODXS #488/LONP #226).  That call hasn't seen a lot of PSK31 activity lately, so newer members can pick up a contact toward their own LONP totals.

Eric/K9VIC

On Wednesday, May 11, 2022, 03:18:48 PM CDT, Barry VA7GEM via groups.io <boat.anchor@...> wrote:

Do we have a list of Chimps put together so we know who to watch for?

stan W9SMR

Barry,

There is no official list of Chimps. Participation may be spur of the moment.

Best advice is to keep an eye on the reflectors and jot down some notes to get a bead on those Chimps!

Good luck chasing down the Chimps.

73,
Stan
W9SMR

Do we have a list of Chimps put together so we know who to watch for?

Eric KG6MZS

I plan on being on Mount Pinos, Frazier Mountain and possible Cerro Noroeste this coming weekend as a shake down for my gridpedition the following weekend.

I'll let you all know how this progresses.

73 Eric KG6MZS

On 5/11/22 6:10 PM, stan W9SMR wrote:
Barry,

There is no official list of Chimps. Participation may be spur of the moment.

Best advice is to keep an eye on the reflectors and jot down some notes to get a bead on those Chimps!

Good luck chasing down the Chimps.

73,
Stan
W9SMR

Rick - N7WE

Yup.....Stan is right.  One of the beauties of Chimp is that you can just take off for the local park or your back deck on the spur of the moment!  Commercial power is permitted and the really only tough part is you have to use a temporary or portable antenna and be out of your normal ham shack.

The downside is that you are a "possible Chimp" until you are on air!  Those that have done portable or mobile ops know that things go wrong at the most inconvenient times.  Then too there is the weather.  So you are never a Chimp until you are!

That said, here are my notes about some who have indicated they are going to give it a try.

              Possible Chimps for Daze #6

KG6MZS – Eric – Will also be SOTA
N9ANA – Club call – rare 070 # for LONP -  Op Eric –  K9VIC
NY7H – Darin – New call – formerly KO4EJD
AG7CC – Cliff – fairly new member - of recent DN25 Idaho activation fame!
KB3RAN – Dave – planning solar and lithium battery power
N7WE - Rick - nothing special - just working from the lanai

And don't forget the WARC-CRAWL.  The propagation forecast looks promising for the weekend.  It has been a long dry spell since we could reliably work on 12, 17, and 30.  As a reminder - 12m - 24.290 MHz, 17m - 18.097 MHz, and 30m - 10.140MHz.  If my temp antenna will tune them, I'll be a CRAWLING CHIMP!

Hope I make it.  I'll be calling CQ CQ de N7WE Chimp.  Even if you can't be a Chimp this time around, chase them!  And if you can - CRAWL!

Eric Dallmann

I think there was a transposed number in the 12-meter frequency given earlier.  It should have been 24.920 MHz instead of 24.290 MHz.

Eric/K9VIC

On Thursday, May 12, 2022, 06:08:07 AM CDT, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

[...]

Right you are!  Never message before the morning coffee!  Thanks for catching that Eric.  73,

On 5/12/2022 8:48 AM, Eric Dallmann wrote:

I think there was a transposed number in the 12-meter frequency given earlier.  It should have been 24.920 MHz instead of 24.290 MHz.

Eric/K9VIC
On Thursday, May 12, 2022, 06:08:07 AM CDT, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

KI4WVW

I'm going to try to be a chimp. I've got a linked dipole that I usually run as an inverted-v with my FT-818nd. However depending on band conditions I might have to switch to my  FT-891. I'll bring my tuner along so I can probably do most bands as long as they'll tune up ok.

Thanks for the WARC frequencies, I've been a little confused about what they actually are.

Jonathan
KI4WVW

Rick - N7WE

I'll be looking for you Jonathan!  Added you to my possibles list.  We haven't worked yet and I'd like to add you to my LONP total!  73,

Darin - NY7H

Sitrep #2: Daze #6 Chimp Operating Location Yuma AZ

Preparation continues.  Washed off the terrace.  No doubt it'll be dirty by tomorrow but at least I can say I washed it all down.  And if it gets to hot there's always the pool.

Final test of batteries started off bad.  Power was not flowing across the parallel cables.  Had to get out voltmeter and start troubleshooting.  Fixed the connections and power was good.  Connected the radio and no joy.  Grabbed the switching power supply and connected it.  Still nothing.  Now I was hoping my radio wasn't dead.  Time to recheck connections.  It's the small things that get  you.  The head unit was connected to the wrong interface.  Put the cable in the correct one and the radio was operational.
Batteries - Check
Radio - Check
Sunshine - Check
All systems a go.

WX Report:
13 May High 96
14 May High 103
15 May High 103

I hope I can get the table umbrella stable to provide some shade.  I tried this morning and the wind just kept grabbing it.

Plan for tomorrow:
Antenna set up in the morning
Equipment staging early afternoon
Operation commence Daze #6 Operating Location Yuma apprx 0200UTC (family engagement first)

Things are looking good for Daze #6 Chimp Operating Location Yuma.

73
Darin
NY7H

Buz Johnson

Well, after thinking about it, my only problem would be enough coax to put up an antenna.  I found 50’ in my shop an that is just enough to operate from my screened porch.  It only took about an hour to get the antenna up.  I had an unused lanyard and pulley already in a pine tree that made it easy.  The antenna is a 80 meter Windom that I took down and replaced with a Carolina 80 Windom.  The antenna is 30’ in the center and about 10’ on each end broad side East and West.  We’ll set my TS440AT, SignaLink, and MFJ 969 tuner up tomorrow and test it out.  So I’ll be in the chase!
de, WA5AMM

Darin - NY7H

Sitrep #3: Daze #6 Chimp Operating Location Yuma AZ
Time: 1100L Temp 90 Clear skies

Equipment:
ICOM IC-7100
MFJ-929 Tuner
Super Antenna
Power Radio: 2 x 12v 23Ah Dakota Lithiums (Parallel)

Final preparations complete.
- Commercial power for computer/station backup .. Check
- Antenna installation complete .. Check
- Station setup complete .. Check
- Station battery power check .. Check
- 2000W inverter connected to batteries with jumper cables ..Check

It's getting a little warm up there on the roof.  It's going to be interesting operating so close to the solar farm.  The table is providing some good shade so I put the equipment under there.  I didn't want to haul it down and back up later this evening.  I'll check on it in a little while.  Just the short time to power on and take those pictures the sun heated up the equipment so it was hot to the touch.
I was typing this and thought, "why not try to power computer from the batteries too."  Just came down from upstairs testing inverter connected to batteries using jumper cables.  It powered on.  Hmmmm this might actually work.

That's all for now from Daze #6 Chimp Operating Location Yuma AZ.  Chimp out.

73
Darin
NY7h

Darin - NY7H

Sitrep #4: Daze #6 Chimp Operating Location Yuma AZ
Time: 0655L 1355UTC Temp 65 Clear skies

1 qso last night...2 qso this morning.
Had to move antenna last night.  It's downstairs so to change bands I've got to go downstairs now.

A few pics:  Sunset from last night, operating under the moon.  And shots from this morning.

The vultures are eagerly awaiting breakfast.

73
Darin
NY7H

Darin - NY7H

Sitrep #4: Daze #6 Chimp Operating Location Yuma AZ
Time: 1004L 1704 UTC Temp 92 Clear skies

Successful Chimp outing for me.  My test of running the complete station on battery power worked.  Bob K4VBM was my first contact in this configuration.  He also helped me work 12M and 17M earlier this morning.

Relocated antenna this morning and got 2 qsos.  Still to close to the house.  Relocating station from roof to porch.  Advantage more shade and pushed antenna away from house.
Seemed to helped.  Picked up 9 more contacts.
On my third move on the porch.  The sun kept chasing me.  I was hiding behind the pillar for awhile.  Now I'm further under the porch with overhead fans on.  It ain't pretty but it's working.

Chimp on station and calling on 20M

73
Darin
NY7H

Bob KC9UR

Hi All,
The KC9UR patio portable CHIMP is finally on the air.  I'm currently calling CQ Chimp on 20m (14.072), but I can move to any band from 40m - 10m to accommodate any WARC Crawlers.

Bob, KC9UR

Bob KC9UR

Didn't see a single trace on 20m, so I'm moving to 30m.

Bob, KC9UR