FT8 Z22O operation on 14.070

David Godden

Greetings Fellow afectionados of PSK

In case you have not noticed all the FT8 crap on 14.070, this is due to a DX station Z22O parking there.

Really what has the world come to with encroachment of FT8 onto PSK main frequencies.

DL7BO and DJ6TF will be active as Z22O and Z21A from Zimbabwe, 3 - 20 February 2022.

https://dxnews.com/z22o-z21a/

But why are they on 14.070 FT8 running a pileup. AS a PSK organization we MUST notify these people to find a different

Frequency for their DX-pedition to Zimbabwe. I suggest we all get on 20 meters and get in there and make QSOs
use it or loose it is the name of the game here folks.

OK end of rant. Ye All have a nice day

73 de KK6M

David “Roy” Godden

PODXS 070-2883

N9JCA Chris

I left a message on their website
asking them to reconsider their operations on 14.070
Maybe if they get enough feed back they'll move back to 14.074
where FT8 operations exist

Chris N9JCA PODXS #797 LONP #165

73

https://dxnews.com/z22o-z21a/ <https://dxnews.com/z22o-z21a/>
But why are they on 14.070 FT8 running a pileup. AS a PSK organization we MUST notify these people to find a different
Frequency for their DX-pedition to Zimbabwe. I suggest we all get on 20 meters and get in there and make QSOs
use it or loose it is the name of the game here folks.
OK end of rant. Ye All have a nice day
73 de KK6M
David “Roy” Godden
PODXS 070-2883

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

Thanks Chris.  I left a polite message myself.

Bob
KK6KMU

rrex lehman

And they were at 7.070 last night on top of the PSK31 stations. They should have gone up to 7.080.
Definitely need better coordination. Thanks for leaving a message on their DX web site.
Rex
WB8TDG

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 4:57 PM Bob Motyl KK6KMU <bobmotyl@...> wrote:
Thanks Chris.  I left a polite message myself.

Bob
KK6KMU

Gent's, into perspective, it's a DXPedition.
The DX station is within the appropriate x-mitting area.
He's listening up. That's the signals that we see.
It ain't forever and will come to pass.
And there's the other side of the coin...
I'm wondering what the world of RTTY thought of us when we started camping out on
3.580, 7.070, 14.070, 21.070, etc ?
It would be nice to see their pilot station pass your emails on the the Z22O operators, but
right now, they're in the business of putting as many contacts in their log as possible.
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

And they were at 7.070 last night on top of the PSK31 stations. They should have gone up to 7.080.
Definitely need better coordination. Thanks for leaving a message on their DX web site.
Rex
WB8TDG

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 4:57 PM Bob Motyl KK6KMU <bobmotyl@...> wrote:
Thanks Chris.  I left a polite message myself.

Bob
KK6KMU

John Kirby

TTU !   Milt   (Two Thumbs  Up)
72 73
John
N3AAZ
070-1337 / LONP-0349

Mike W4BZM <behrcave@...>

Edited

As humans, we tend to view situations from within our own frame of reference — which, for US operators, is ITU Region 2.

Part of the problem is the disagreement in Band Plans between the ITU Regions.  The DXpedition is operating in Africa, which is ITU Region 1.  If you look at the ITU Region 1 band plan (https://www.iaru-r1.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/hf_r1_bandplan.pdf), you’ll see that:

  • 7.060 — 7.100 MHz is for all modes, with “SSB contest preferred”  for that entire band segment and a 7.070 “center of activity” for digital VOiCE.
  • 14.070 — 14.089 MHz for “narrow-band digital modes” with no specification of which modes where.
  • 14.090 — 14.100 MHz as “priority for DXpeditions”
So yes, it would be great if their 20 meter FT8 ops were on 14.090, but they’re also perfectly legal where they are operating.

Like others on this post, I have sent them a message on their web site to please consider moving their operating frequencies.  Don’t know if anyone will read it and take action.

One thing that is NOT legal is malicious interference.  I may have witnessed that last night as someone laid a strong CW signal on the “fox” frequency for over a minute.  Obviously not tuning.  But rather than forcing the station to move, it just made the “hound” stations continue to send out their CQ signals longer.  Counterproductive.

So even though we might like to have exclusive access to the 070 frequencies for PSK-31, that’s not how amateur radio operates.  And the DXpedition will be over in two days, anyway.  This is not a “takeover of our frequencies”.  So I agree with Milt, let’s be grown-ups and treat this like any other QRM.

(Standing by for blasts….)

Mike  W4BZM

Ken N6PCD <n6pcd1@...>

Well said, Milt! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
--
All the best,
Ken N6PCD

KN4ZXG

Agree with Milt.  It's also a good opportunity to get Zimbabwe in the log.  Most of the digital modes I have in the logs, other than FT8, usually come from seeing them while parked on one of the 070s anyway.