JAMBOREE ON THE AIR - JOTA

stan W9SMR

 For your participation in the JAMBOREE ON THE AIR - JOTA
on
October 15 - 17, 2021,

PODXS 070 Club offers JOTA Participation and Enabler Stickers.

Few people realize that JOTA is the largest Scouting event in the world. Each year more than 1.3 Million Scouts and Guides "get together" over the airwaves for the annual Jamboree-on-the-Air (JOTA).

For an overview of the 64th annual event, see: Jamboree On The Air - JOTA.

Always held on the third weekend in October, this year it will run from Friday October 15 thru Sunday October 17. There are no official hours of operation.

Keep in mind this is not a contest for the most contacts, but an opportunity to meet and encourage those millions of potential new PODXS 070 members!

There will be two different JOTA Stickers offered to 070 members.

1)  JOTA Participant for those who get on air and make a contact with a JOTA station.

2) JOTA Enabler for those who, working with a troop, set up a station, oversee operation, and "enable" PSK31 JOTA contacts for Scouts in any way.

A JOTA Enabler may also claim JOTA Participant if they make a PSK31 contact with another JOTA station.

For an excellent example of a JOTA enabler, just check out the QRZ.COM page for Mike, KE0GHU, 070 member #2415.

We will use the honor system - just like the Field Day Sticker - to determine eligibility for both endorsements as it greatly simplifies the process of awarding stickers.  If you say you participated, you participated! Please DO NOT send or attach your log.

So, answer or call “CQ JOTA” and settle back to meet a Boy Scout, perhaps a 070 member some day!

After the event and before October 31st, send your email to:  robinstan@...

On the Subject Line, state “JOTA Sticker”.
In the body state the following:
1) Your Call and Member number
2) The number of completed JOTA contacts
3) State your role if claiming to be a JOTA Enabler

I will compile the complete list of the Participants and Enablers and post that on the 070 Email Reflector.
You will be added to the next Sticker mailing list.

73,
Stan
W9SMR - 070  #1611
PODXS 070 - PR Director

Steve WB3LGC

Stan,

Thank You.

I have been "doing" JOTA for a number of years at our local Boy Scout Reservation.  It is always fun no matter how many participants we have.  It is nice you are providing an incentive as when I have tried PSK31, there were very few takers.

I am not sure what we will have for stations this year.  I will NOW try to have PSK31 capability, too.

I will be at Camp Rodney in North East, MD.  I am a Campmaster along with our group who run the camp for four of the "winter" weekends.  I make sure JOTA is one of our weekends.  We also run the rifle range as an activity as everyone is NRA trained/certified (except me, another story).

I have attached our JOTA flyer as it has links that may be useful.  The YouTube video "21 century Hobby" is a UK Radio Club promo aimed at YOUTH, very good.

73, steve WB3LGC   JOTA as KB3NCC

On 9/28/21 10:05 PM, stan W9SMR wrote:
For your participation in the JAMBOREE ON THE AIR - JOTA

Rick - N7WE

Steve -

I plan to be active on and off all of the JOTA weekend on PSK31.  I will DEFINITELY look for KB3NCC.  If you can, self spot here and the main 070 groups.io when you are on.  Good luck, have fun, and thanks for your contributions to Scouting!