Which FLdigi version for a macMini running Mojave

Ken S. N9KJU

Greetings friends,

My name is Ken, Callsign N9KJU, PODXS 070 #2862. I was originally licensed as a Tech+ back in 1990 and active for many years. But like many, I took some time for other activities including two kids. After being off the air for 16 years, I get back on the air in 2018, earned my General Class license in Dec 2018, bought a new HF station. And I have been trying new things and improving my old skills since then. Those two kids are grown and my wife and I are looking forward to me retiring in the next 2-3 years.

I recently discovered and joined your group. In order to qualify for joining, I had to have 50+ PSK31 contacts logged. I have had 61 PSK31 contacts between Jan-Mar 2019. Ever since I put this new station on the air, I have used a macMini as the computer behind it all. I use RUMlogNG for logging and rig control. And obviously, I had FLdigi working those two years ago. I have also logged 419 RTTY contacts (mostly in contests) between Jan 2019 and July 2020 using FLdigi.

So I have been trying for a few months to get back into RTTY and now PSK31. But I have had little to no luck at either. When I run FLdigi and try to read the PSK31 contacts out there, the FLdigi software crashes at seemingly random times, often with my hands nowhere near the keyboard or the radio. I've been through the config of RUMlogNG, FLdigi, and my IC-7300.

So finally I get to my question. what would be the latest version of FLdigi that I should be able to use with my: macMini (Late 2012) with 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 running MacOS Mojave (Version 10.14.6), Icom IC-7300 running the latest 1.4 Firmware, and RUMlogNG Version 5.6.2 (492). I currently have FLdigi 4.1.18 installed. I recently tried v4.1.19 and then tried the brand new 4.1.20. Both of those seemed less stable. I have now gone back to 4.1.18 to try and work all this out. Maybe I need to go back further?

When I last made PSK31 contacts, I was using the same hardware as I have today, But I was on the 1.3 Icom firmware, I think I was on High Siera OS and I'm not sure which earlier version of FLdigi. My problem may still be something in the configuration of any of these. But it seemed wise to ask around here if anyone can suggest a workable version of FLdigi to go with my Mojave on the macMini.

I have made two attempts to answer PSK31 CQ calls. I both cases, FLdigi crashed during the early part of the QSO. I'm not going to try answering CQ calls until I can get my mix of software running stably.

I appreciate any help that anyone can offer,

73 de N9KJU, Ken S. n9kju@... https://www.qrz.com/db/N9KJU https://groups.io/g/070Club/profile/@n9kju 070 #2862, 10-10 #67438, NAQCC #9906, SKCC #19964T

Jim K5SP

Welcome Aboard Ken!

I am positive there will be someone on the reflector that can help you, and I will admit that I cannot.   I tried fldigi once, could get it to work fine on receive, but, could never get it to key my TS-570D.  Even on the fldigi sites, no one was any help, so I gave up on it.  Use Mixw3, and have for 20+ years.  Not using MixW4, because they want more money, and it is full of bugs.   Also not a mac user, so no help there.

If you don't get a response from our membership let me know and I will see if I can find someone to assist.

Jim K5SP

On 8/15/2021 2:19 AM, Ken S. N9KJU wrote:

Greetings friends,

My name is Ken, Callsign N9KJU, PODXS 070 #2862. I was originally licensed as a Tech+ back in 1990 and active for many years. But like many, I took some time for other activities including two kids. After being off the air for 16 years, I get back on the air in 2018, earned my General Class license in Dec 2018, bought a new HF station. And I have been trying new things and improving my old skills since then. Those two kids are grown and my wife and I are looking forward to me retiring in the next 2-3 years.

I recently discovered and joined your group. In order to qualify for joining, I had to have 50+ PSK31 contacts logged. I have had 61 PSK31 contacts between Jan-Mar 2019. Ever since I put this new station on the air, I have used a macMini as the computer behind it all. I use RUMlogNG for logging and rig control. And obviously, I had FLdigi working those two years ago. I have also logged 419 RTTY contacts (mostly in contests) between Jan 2019 and July 2020 using FLdigi.

So I have been trying for a few months to get back into RTTY and now PSK31. But I have had little to no luck at either. When I run FLdigi and try to read the PSK31 contacts out there, the FLdigi software crashes at seemingly random times, often with my hands nowhere near the keyboard or the radio. I've been through the config of RUMlogNG, FLdigi, and my IC-7300.

So finally I get to my question. what would be the latest version of FLdigi that I should be able to use with my: macMini (Late 2012) with 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 running MacOS Mojave (Version 10.14.6), Icom IC-7300 running the latest 1.4 Firmware, and RUMlogNG Version 5.6.2 (492). I currently have FLdigi 4.1.18 installed. I recently tried v4.1.19 and then tried the brand new 4.1.20. Both of those seemed less stable. I have now gone back to 4.1.18 to try and work all this out. Maybe I need to go back further?

When I last made PSK31 contacts, I was using the same hardware as I have today, But I was on the 1.3 Icom firmware, I think I was on High Siera OS and I'm not sure which earlier version of FLdigi. My problem may still be something in the configuration of any of these. But it seemed wise to ask around here if anyone can suggest a workable version of FLdigi to go with my Mojave on the macMini.

I have made two attempts to answer PSK31 CQ calls. I both cases, FLdigi crashed during the early part of the QSO. I'm not going to try answering CQ calls until I can get my mix of software running stably.

I appreciate any help that anyone can offer,

73 de N9KJU, Ken S. n9kju@... https://www.qrz.com/db/N9KJU https://groups.io/g/070Club/profile/@n9kju 070 #2862, 10-10 #67438, NAQCC #9906, SKCC #19964T

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Executive Director/Member Services Director

John Hendry KG5OIB

Hi, Ken,

Well, I'm not using a mac mini, but I do use an older Macbook on occasion running High Sierra.   I used the latest version of FLDigi, but I also used FLRig.   It seemed to be the best way to go.  
You might check with the Linuxham group here on groups.io.     A lot of Mac users post on that page.

Good luck and welcome back!!

John
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

de  KG5OIB

John Hendry

Decatur, Wise County, Texas

LOC:  EM13eg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK - PODXS 070 # 2645

Ken,

i run Fldigi on Mojave successfully. Unfortunately (at least for you) I am away from my shack for a week. If you want to wait a week, I can work with you to get this going. 

de Karl Heinz - K5KHK 

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

Ken,

Welcome to our group.  Hope to meet you on the waterfall.
I am  a windows user so I'm useless when it comes to Mac.  If I were you I would email Dave W1HKJ with your specific question.  There is a WinFLDIGI group and you may try that also.  If you post your question you may get a few, read the manual answers. 

I have used FLDIGI for 5 years now.  I think it is a very good piece of software and is constantly being updated.  I must admit it was a struggle for me to configure.  The areas I had issues with were rig control and setting of the audio levels.  Over the years I have tried most of the rig control options and have settled on FLRIG.  Still learning myself.  To be honest I wasn't aware that FLDIGI worked on Mac.  

One last comment.  I was trying to get FLDIGI to work on my laptop for portable use.  It kept crashing or locking up apparently for no reason.  I finally realized the RF was interfering with the computer and causing the issue.  Reducing power and using a toroid ferrite on the antenna coax solved the problem.  Not saying that is your issue but you never know.

Bob
KK6KMU 

Ken,
If I may add from 1st hand experience, toroid's on the power cord to the laptop, and toroid's on the USB cable going from your IC-7300 to the laptop solved the "locking up" problem for me.
Personally, I prefer the little bit larger snap on toroid's so I can loop 1 or more turns of the cable thru them.
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

-----Original Message-----
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Aug 15, 2021 8:58 am
Subject: Re: [070Club] Which FLdigi version for a macMini running Mojave

Ken,

I am  a windows user so I'm useless when it comes to Mac.  If I were you I would email Dave W1HKJ with your specific question.  There is a WinFLDIGI group and you may try that also.  If you post your question you may get a few, read the manual answers. 

I have used FLDIGI for 5 years now.  I think it is a very good piece of software and is constantly being updated.  I must admit it was a struggle for me to configure.  The areas I had issues with were rig control and setting of the audio levels.  Over the years I have tried most of the rig control options and have settled on FLRIG.  Still learning myself.  To be honest I wasn't aware that FLDIGI worked on Mac.  

One last comment.  I was trying to get FLDIGI to work on my laptop for portable use.  It kept crashing or locking up apparently for no reason.  I finally realized the RF was interfering with the computer and causing the issue.  Reducing power and using a toroid ferrite on the antenna coax solved the problem.  Not saying that is your issue but you never know.

Bob
KK6KMU 

Jerry N9AVY

Backing up Milt's comments...   years ago I had RFI problems which would shut down computers every time.  Adding those snap on chokes cured all those problems.  The went on almost every cable attached to computer.  

So those snap on chokes may solve your problems.

Jerry  n9avy #454 

On Sunday, August 15, 2021, 11:30:16 AM CDT, N6MG - Milt. via groups.io <n6mg@...> wrote:

Ken,
If I may add from 1st hand experience, toroid's on the power cord to the laptop, and toroid's on the USB cable going from your IC-7300 to the laptop solved the "locking up" problem for me.
Personally, I prefer the little bit larger snap on toroid's so I can loop 1 or more turns of the cable thru them.
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

Ken,

Bob
KK6KMU 

Ken S. N9KJU

Thank you all for your kind words, good advice and encouragement.

I did a good bit of tweaking of the audio levels and such on the
IC-7300. I added chokes on several USB and power cables (as
suggested). And I will likely check out the Linuxham group reflector.
And I just had a successful PSK31 QSO with Bill KB6LFM/MM at his
POTA/IOTA expedition.

I'm not ready to say my issue is fixed yet, But I think I'm ready to
try more without awaiting crashes. I need the practice and my macros
need some tweaking. It was awkward mixing Macto texts and live ying on
the keyboard. I'll get there.

Thanks again.

73 de N9KJU, Ken S. <n9kju@arrl.net>
https://www.qrz.com/db/N9KJU
https://groups.io/g/070Club/profile/@n9kju
070 #2862, 10-10 #67438, NAQCC #9906, SKCC #19964T

On Sun, Aug 15, 2021 at 12:14 PM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Backing up Milt's comments... years ago I had RFI problems which would shut down computers every time. Adding those snap on chokes cured all those problems. The went on almost every cable attached to computer.

So those snap on chokes may solve your problems.

Jerry n9avy #454

On Sunday, August 15, 2021, 11:30:16 AM CDT, N6MG - Milt. via groups.io <n6mg=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Ken,
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

Ken,

Welcome to our group. Hope to meet you on the waterfall.
I am a windows user so I'm useless when it comes to Mac. If I were you I would email Dave W1HKJ with your specific question. There is a WinFLDIGI group and you may try that also. If you post your question you may get a few, read the manual answers.

I have used FLDIGI for 5 years now. I think it is a very good piece of software and is constantly being updated. I must admit it was a struggle for me to configure. The areas I had issues with were rig control and setting of the audio levels. Over the years I have tried most of the rig control options and have settled on FLRIG. Still learning myself. To be honest I wasn't aware that FLDIGI worked on Mac.

One last comment. I was trying to get FLDIGI to work on my laptop for portable use. It kept crashing or locking up apparently for no reason. I finally realized the RF was interfering with the computer and causing the issue. Reducing power and using a toroid ferrite on the antenna coax solved the problem. Not saying that is your issue but you never know.

Bob
KK6KMU

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

Ken good to hear.  The longer you use the software the more you make it your own.  I started out only using macros but quickly got the hang of mixing macros and typing.  You will start a QSO with someone a next thing you know you just had a 45 min conversion with someone.

A little tip.  You can fill the macro buffer without using the TX command.  This way you can type in the buffer (the blue window) while you are receiving.  You can use both macros and typing.  When you are ready to transmit hit the T/R macro to start transmitting what is in the buffer.  You can return to the receive mode either by having a RX command in the buffer window or hit the T/R macro again.  Whatever works for you.  If you have any questions feel free to email me.  My email address on QRZ is good.

Best to you and your family.,
Bob
KK6KMU