Most Wanted Grids

Jerry N9AVY

Rick and all ...

Whomever goes to DL88 should get the PODXS 070 Hero Medal !   From what you described it sounds like you might want to travel there in a tank !   Emoji

Jerry  n9avy

On Saturday, April 10, 2021, 01:24:09 PM CDT, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

Yup John - the only way.  And it will be a brave soul indeed.
It is in Big Bend National Park and we had a look at the "road" when we were in the Park in 2016 on the Farewell Tour.  DL88 is a very short, narrow strip right along the Rio Grande, and down a two-track that has a sign that says "High Clearance 4-wheel Drive Venicles ONLY".  We have a Honda CRV, but one look down the "road" and I wasn't going there - sign or no sign.  I've tried many times to talk Dick KC3EF into activating it on one of their trips but Kathy just won't go for it - Hi Hi!  She is obviously very smart!  There is no potable water, just "primative campsites" per the National Parks.  But one would need to be careful after dark that that Mesquite bush (primative campsite facilities!) is not a Cholla or a Prickly Pear!  I really doubt I'll get to work a station from DL88 before I die.  But it would make an outstanding adventure for some brave souls!

[...]

Darin - KO4EJD

I've been thinking of going to DM31 before it gets too hot.
QRZ shows 2 hams in the grid, XE and W7 is a snowbird.
I'd do a POTA for Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument and maybe Cabeza Prieta Wildlife refuge.

Darin
KO4EJD

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021, 10:28 AM John - KC3FL via groups.io <kc3fl=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I just did a search by grid on QRZ and there are no hams in DL88, US and XE so looks like the only way to get it is to have someone activate it.

John
KC3FL

I just did a search by grid on QRZ and there are no hams in DL88, US and XE so looks like the only way to get it is to have someone activate it.

John
KC3FL

Jerry N9AVY

No one knows better than me just how messed up the checker is.  Have to deal with it daily, but I plod forward every day trying to decipher the messages.  Many are rehashes of previous days/months postings.  Jim told me I need to have a list ready for March and I believe I'll have it on or before that date.

The Most Wanted list is a great tool for planning grid activations. Wish that my health would allow me to get out to nearby states to activate some grids.

Jerry  n9avy

On Saturday, April 10, 2021, 11:13:29 AM CDT, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

Roger that Jerry.  The map is NOT an accurate reflection of the current exact counts.  There are a couple of reasons.  First, this was as of 7/2020 so anything after that won't show up.  Second, Steve extracted the original data from the Endorsement Checker and we all know of the troubles it has been having for some time now.  The Checker just isn't 100% reliable.  The map is for an aid in planning only.  Even though you have worked DN65 (and the red cell is DL88 - not DL86), I'm pretty sure no one has worked DL88 from TX - from XE, possibly. I don't think there haven't been enough people work any of the colored grids to move them off the "most wanted" list.  Down the list?  Yeah, sure.  But "off the list" - not likely.  So I think it can still be a handy planning tool.

Roger that Jerry.  The map is NOT an accurate reflection of the current exact counts.  There are a couple of reasons.  First, this was as of 7/2020 so anything after that won't show up.  Second, Steve extracted the original data from the Endorsement Checker and we all know of the troubles it has been having for some time now.  The Checker just isn't 100% reliable.  The map is for an aid in planning only.  Even though you have worked DN65 (and the red cell is DL88 - not DL86), I'm pretty sure no one has worked DL88 from TX - from XE, possibly. I don't think there haven't been enough people work any of the colored grids to move them off the "most wanted" list.  Down the list?  Yeah, sure.  But "off the list" - not likely.  So I think it can still be a handy planning tool.

FYI:

Just found 2 in the Never Worked category that I've worked - DN65 & DL86  according to most wanted chart.

Jerry  n9avy

As a help to those planning APEs or Grid-peditions this year, I have created a Most Wanted Grids Map and posted it to the files section of the group.  It is based on the original map created by Bob - KK6KMU and the data extracted 7/2020 from the Endorsement Checker by Steve - W3HF.  (Thanks guys!)  It is color coded to hopefully make things easier.  Being pretty much tied to central Florida anymore, I'd like to encourage everyone who can to get out there and activate some of these grids.  I sure could use them in my log and it is lots and lots of fun...as those who have done APEs and grid-peditions will tell you!  Even if you can't get to one of the "most wanted" you will get plenty of action from any APE or grid-pedition anywhere!  99% Guarenteed!