160m

Jerry N9AVY

Don:

Just tried xmiting on 160m, but am only getting out a watt or so  Emoji  ugh !  Looks like I have some work ahead.   Tree in front yard where one end of sloper is attached grew over the years and and is now about 25 ft. up, but it needs to be at least 1/2 that.

Another alternative is to change out vertical in back yard (HF-6V) and replace it with a 43 ft. vertical I acquired a couple years ago, but that will require changing out pipe in ground for a 2 inch diameter one.  Soil here is most clay (like concrete) and rocks ,,, McHenry county is where a lot of gravel & sand comes from for construction projects in area.

Looks like back to drawing board !

Jerry  n9avy

On Wednesday, March 17, 2021, 03:41:44 PM CDT, Don - KM4UDX <dontay155@...> wrote:

Jerry, if you want to try 160m, text me on my phone 571-225-6180 a time/place. Worth a shot. My SWR at 1807 is actually less than 13 -- which is my normal levels on my random horizontal loop thing.
I'm calling cq now for what it is worth.
--
Don, km4udx, uBITX, and other obscure acronyms go here...

Jerry N9AVY

 SWR is 13 !!!!   That's bad and will cause overheating of finals.  SWR should be 2.1:1 at the most.  Mine typically stays around 1.5 or less.  Hope you're just reading your meter wrong.

Can we try this evening ???

Jerry  n9avy

On Wednesday, March 17, 2021, 03:41:44 PM CDT, Don - KM4UDX <dontay155@...> wrote:

Jerry, if you want to try 160m, text me on my phone 571-225-6180 a time/place. Worth a shot. My SWR at 1807 is actually less than 13 -- which is my normal levels on my random horizontal loop thing.
I'm calling cq now for what it is worth.
--
Don, km4udx, uBITX, and other obscure acronyms go here...

Don - KM4UDX

Jerry, if you want to try 160m, text me on my phone 571-225-6180 a time/place. Worth a shot. My SWR at 1807 is actually less than 13 -- which is my normal levels on my random horizontal loop thing.
I'm calling cq now for what it is worth.
--
Don, km4udx, uBITX, and other obscure acronyms go here...

Jerry N9AVY

After all the antenna troubles I've had this Winter, think luck has changed.  Was messing around with tuning up on 80m and it was a snap; so I went to 1807 and tried to tune up there and it worked like magic !   Called CQ  a couple times, but no takers.

Pretty good week so far worked some DX on 20m, a new LONP or 2 and a bunch of stateside stations. Even good old LoTW is mysteriously working from N3FJP.  Wow !  Guess I'm ready for St. Pat's contest  !!!

BTW, heard an HS (Thailand)  station on 20m PSK this morning, he had decent signal, but think he had lots of QRM cause he never answered.

Jerry   n9avy