73 all,

Mike

WM4B

Mike - the prop forecast looks tough for around 1800 today.  But post what band you'll be on and I'll look for you!  168 is DOABLE and you can make it.  Last weekend Fr. Richard got an unusually heavy snow storm that cancelled his Sunday services. He says he'd have never made it otherwise!  You never know what happens next!  Hang in there and just be ready when the opportunities come.

Mike:

You hit the nail on the head !  The 24/7  is difficult at best to do without help from other members and running skeds.  A have a long list of those who helped me get there and in particular one member in KS who was there several of those wee late hours.

There were also some "night owls" who were not members and it was interesting to find out there are others who are on regularly in those hours when everyone should be in bed.

Jerry  n9avy

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

Rick,

I’m definitely game for 168, but in order to keep and  maintain peace in the household, I’ve got to watch my P’s and Q’!  When the XYL goes out of town I’ll probably try some late-night stuff, but those days are few and far between.  ;>)

As for 1800 today, I’ll have a look at 40 first (since that’s where the rig is now) and if it’s flat I’ll move to 20.  Hoping I’ll just look and see someone CQing!

73,

Mike

WM4B

Mike - the prop forecast looks tough for around 1800 today.  But post what band you'll be on and I'll look for you!  168 is DOABLE and you can make it.  Last weekend Fr. Richard got an unusually heavy snow storm that cancelled his Sunday services. He says he'd have never made it otherwise!  You never know what happens next!  Hang in there and just be ready when the opportunities come.

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

Copy… we’ll give it a try.  There are a lot of traces on 20, so hopefully I can hook up with someone.

My inverted L is a cloudwarmer, so you never know.

Mike

WM4B

Mike - the prop forecast looks tough for around 1800 today.  But post what band you'll be on and I'll look for you!  168 is DOABLE and you can make it.  Last weekend Fr. Richard got an unusually heavy snow storm that cancelled his Sunday services. He says he'd have never made it otherwise!  You never know what happens next!  Hang in there and just be ready when the opportunities come.

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

Rick,

I caught KC3GSV calling CQ right at 1800. Tnx for waiting around for me, but Charlie made it easy for me!

73 and tnx again,

Mike
WM4B

Mike - the prop forecast looks tough for around 1800 today. But post what band you'll be on and I'll look for you! 168 is DOABLE and you can make it. Last weekend Fr. Richard got an unusually heavy snow storm that cancelled his Sunday services. He says he'd have never made it otherwise! You never know what happens next! Hang in there and just be ready when the opportunities come.

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

Timing is everything! Now for the hard slots.

Mike
WM4B

Mike - the prop forecast looks tough for around 1800 today. But post what band you'll be on and I'll look for you! 168 is DOABLE and you can make it. Last weekend Fr. Richard got an unusually heavy snow storm that cancelled his Sunday services. He says he'd have never made it otherwise! You never know what happens next! Hang in there and just be ready when the opportunities come.

B C <k9wis@...>

I just checked my status and see that 08:00 - 12:00 Z for each day is a blank slate..with some weird one that should be easy like 01:00 on friday and saturday and 19:00 on Tuesday..guess I'll have to systmeatically start knocking these down..we should start a net that meets at the top of each hour..sort of like time sentinels hi hi
Brian K9WIS

Joseph Molon <ljl2002@...>

Keep Chuggin on Mike!
CUL
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 08:45 AM, Mike Besemer wrote:

Woke up early today (for a Sunday) and figured I’d try to fill my 1200z Clock square.   Managed two partial QSO’s, but could not complete the exchange.

Gave it one last try and at 12:59:13z, Joe – KA1PPV answered my CQ.  I have a couple other squares filled in the last few minutes of the hour, but really figured I’d missed out today.  Thanks, Joe!

I’ll never make 168… I think 133 will be about the limit, but I’d have never made it this far without the help of some great 070 Club members.  This really is a great organization!

Hopefully at around 1800z today I can complete the 120, then at 1300z on Wednesday I can finish my last ‘daylight’ clock square.  The rest will be nothing be gravy!

73 all,

Mike

WM4B

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

Don’t forget, when we shift back to DST, the local time will shift to the left relative to zulu time. That makes some squares easier and some harder; good to plan accordingly.

Mike
WM4B

I just checked my status and see that 08:00 - 12:00 Z for each day is a blank slate..with some weird one that should be easy like 01:00 on friday and saturday and 19:00 on Tuesday..guess I'll have to systmeatically start knocking these down..we should start a net that meets at the top of each hour..sort of like time sentinels hi hi Brian K9WIS

Jerry N9AVY

Brian:

had solid copy on you last on 40m while you worked WB5PJZ.    If I can stay awake you can knock of more time slots.

Jerry  n9avy

I just checked my status and see that 08:00 - 12:00 Z for each day is a blank slate..with some weird one that should be easy like 01:00 on friday and saturday and 19:00 on Tuesday..guess I'll have to systmeatically start knocking these down..we should start a net that meets at the top of each hour..sort of like time sentinels  hi hi
Brian K9WIS

David, K9DWR

The strategy I used for the late hours was to plan for catnaps. wake up, make a contact or two (preferably just before and just after the top of the hour), then take another nap. I found that a lot easier than trying to do them while staying up in long blocks.

Good luck!

David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

On Jan 14, 2018, at 14:49, Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@cox.net> wrote:

Don’t forget, when we shift back to DST, the local time will shift to the left relative to zulu time. That makes some squares easier and some harder; good to plan accordingly.

Mike
WM4B

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

I'm wondering how the bands are at those hours. I'd hate to stay up/wake up only to be greeted by nothingness. Seems like not too many folks are on 80 meters (a shame I think... 80 was good for me at PSKFest), so I'm guessing 40 meters is the band of choice.

Mike
WM4B

#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

On Jan 14, 2018, at 14:49, Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@cox.net> wrote:

Don’t forget, when we shift back to DST, the local time will shift to the left relative to zulu time. That makes some squares easier and some harder; good to plan accordingly.

Mike
WM4B

David, K9DWR

I did most of mine on 40m, but that’s just what my setup is limited to. I’ve managed to squeak out a handful on 80, but the rig forces that to QRP so YMMV.

On Jan 14, 2018, at 16:33, Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@cox.net> wrote:

I'm wondering how the bands are at those hours. I'd hate to stay up/wake up only to be greeted by nothingness. Seems like not too many folks are on 80 meters (a shame I think... 80 was good for me at PSKFest), so I'm guessing 40 meters is the band of choice.

Mike
WM4B

Jerry N9AVY

As we move into poorer propagation on the bands, we just have to take what we can get.  Bands like 40/80m will pobably be the best producers of contacts. There's the old saying that the bands are always open to somewhere, but whether or not that's true is questionable.  However, you;ll never know until you try.

When working on 24/7 times slots there were many times when there were no contacts in the 0600-1200 hours.  Be persistent and keep plugging away at it !  If this were an easy endorsement there would be more working at it.  Become an "owl on the branch".

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

> On Jan 14, 2018, at 14:49, Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...> wrote:
>
> Don’t forget, when we shift back to DST, the local time will shift to the left relative to zulu time.  That makes some squares easier and some harder; good to plan accordingly.
>
> Mike
> WM4B

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

I agree that the bands are always open somewhere – to some extent. PSKFest and Field Day prove that.

Mike
WM4B