Antennas

Jerry N9AVY

FYI

If anyone took their brand new aluminium antenna out of the box and just stuck it all together,  you need to put conductive grease between all sections.  This paste goes by a variety of names and is sold at Home Depot. Lowe's, Maenard's , most electrical supply house and even hardware stores.

This grease probably should be replaced after lots of years in use as there may be oxidation in the joints.  That why antennas sometimes require a bit of TLC. Water gets in a lot of places where it seems impossible. Be sure to use conductive grease liberally .  It's okay it a big glob of it comes out at joint. Just wipe it off.

Have had an antenna with oxidation problems in past. Changing grease corrected problem.

Jerry

Brian (N2MLP)

Will a jiffy lube   do the service??

From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jerry N9AVY
Sent: Sunday, January 7, 2018 12:07 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: [070Club] Antennas

FYI

If anyone took their brand new aluminium antenna out of the box and just stuck it all together,  you need to put conductive grease between all sections.  This paste goes by a variety of names and is sold at Home Depot. Lowe's, Maenard's , most electrical supply house and even hardware stores.

This grease probably should be replaced after lots of years in use as there may be oxidation in the joints.  That why antennas sometimes require a bit of TLC. Water gets in a lot of places where it seems impossible. Be sure to use conductive grease liberally .  It's okay it a big glob of it comes out at joint. Just wipe it off.

Have had an antenna with oxidation problems in past. Changing grease corrected problem.

Jerry

Jerry N9AVY

Try it and write a review !

Sent: Sunday, January 7, 2018 11:08 AM
Subject: Re: [070Club] Antennas

Will a jiffy lube   do the service??

Sent: Sunday, January 7, 2018 12:07 PM
Subject: [070Club] Antennas

FYI

Jerry

B C <k9wis@...>

Hmmm..thats good advice Jerry..sometime last fall somethign failed in my 30M trap on my vertical and I lost 40 and 80..works great up to 30M..I thought the trap opened up but inspected the coils and the screws holding it toghter..but never thought of actually checking the joints where the sections slip together..hmm and its supposed to get all the way up to 25 today...sounds like antenna project weather..
Brian K9WIS

Jerry N9AVY

You might rub a bratwurst on the antenna... maybe a little sauerkraut and wash it off with Miller Lite.  
Jerry

Sent: Sunday, January 7, 2018 11:14 AM

Hmmm..thats good advice Jerry..sometime last fall somethign failed in my 30M trap on my vertical and I lost 40 and 80..works great up to 30M..I thought the trap opened up but inspected the coils and the screws holding it toghter..but never thought of actually checking the joints where the sections slip together..hmm and its supposed to get all the way up to 25 today...sounds like antenna project weather..
Brian K9WIS

Rick - N7WE

Miller Lite?  Miller Lite????  Years ago when my work took me Road America Raceway I learned that Rhinelander is the only appropriate lubricant/solvent.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

I was just reading the instructions for my Gap Titan and they actually recommend against the use of any such grease.

I remember building my Butternut beam and having to use that nasty copper Butter-it's-Not grease they provide. Naturally, I got more of it on me than I did on the antenna.

Mike
WM4B

On Jan 7, 2018 12:06 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
FYI

If anyone took their brand new aluminium antenna out of the box and just stuck it all together, you need to put conductive grease between all sections. This paste goes by a variety of names and is sold at Home Depot. Lowe's, Maenard's , most electrical supply house and even hardware stores.

This grease probably should be replaced after lots of years in use as there may be oxidation in the joints. That why antennas sometimes require a bit of TLC. Water gets in a lot of places where it seems impossible. Be sure to use conductive grease liberally . It's okay it a big glob of it comes out at joint. Just wipe it off.

Jerry

Jerry N9AVY

Mike;

You can do that but I think it might be a mistake unless you join sections with self-tapping screws.  Oxidation can and will happen. Have taken apart many aluminum antennas and have found oxidation on joints.  A bit of cleaning and an application of No-Ox grease made them work like new.  Had a HYGain 4BTX which at the base there is aluminum  joined to steel... took it apart and it was "rust city" !  Hope they changed design.
Jerry

Sent: Sunday, January 7, 2018 1:05 PM

I was just reading the instructions for my Gap Titan and they actually recommend against the use of any such grease.

I remember building my Butternut beam and having to use that nasty copper Butter-it's-Not grease they provide. Naturally, I got more of it on me than I did on the antenna.

Mike
WM4B

FYI

If anyone took their brand new aluminium antenna out of the box and just stuck it all together, you need to put conductive grease between all sections. This paste goes by a variety of names and is sold at Home Depot. Lowe's, Maenard's , most electrical supply house and even hardware stores.

This grease probably should be replaced after lots of years in use as there may be oxidation in the joints. That why antennas sometimes require a bit of TLC. Water gets in a lot of places where it seems impossible. Be sure to use conductive grease liberally . It's okay it a big glob of it comes out at joint. Just wipe it off.

Jerry

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

I absolutely agree with you. I’m surprised they don’t recommend it… more so that they recommend a dry joint.

Mike
WM4B

Sent: Sunday, January 7, 2018 2:54 PM

Mike;

You can do that but I think it might be a mistake unless you join sections with self-tapping screws. Oxidation can and will happen. Have taken apart many aluminum antennas and have found oxidation on joints. A bit of cleaning and an application of No-Ox grease made them work like new. Had a HYGain 4BTX which at the base there is aluminum joined to steel... took it apart and it was "rust city" ! Hope they changed design.
Jerry

Mike
WM4B

On Jan 7, 2018 12:06 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
FYI

Jerry

JEFF WALSH

I use a product called anti-sieze marketed under several brands ...... been using it for almost 50 years ....started using in my automotive repair days .....it's comes in bottle within brush on the cap ....this stuff maintains its viscosity in hot or cold wx .... doesn't dry out ..... available in auto parts stores .....

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 3:07 PM, Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...> wrote:

I absolutely agree with you.  I’m surprised they don’t recommend it… more so that they recommend a dry joint.

Mike
WM4B

Mike;

You can do that but I think it might be a mistake unless you join sections with self-tapping screws.  Oxidation can and will happen. Have taken apart many aluminum antennas and have found oxidation on joints.  A bit of cleaning and an application of No-Ox grease made them work like new.  Had a HYGain 4BTX which at the base there is aluminum  joined to steel... took it apart and it was "rust city" !  Hope they changed design.
Jerry

Mike
WM4B

FYI

Jerry

Jerry N9AVY

Jeff:

Stuff I use has copper flakes in it and is used to prevent oxidation of aluminum wires in electrical circuits from causing fires, etc.   It's marketed under a variety  of names like Penetrox by companies like Ideal, GC (are they still around?).

Jerry  N9AVY

Sent: Sunday, January 7, 2018 4:36 PM

I use a product called anti-sieze marketed under several brands ...... been using it for almost 50 years ....started using in my automotive repair days .....it's comes in bottle within brush on the cap ....this stuff maintains its viscosity in hot or cold wx .... doesn't dry out ..... available in auto parts stores .....

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

I absolutely agree with you.  I’m surprised they don’t recommend it… more so that they recommend a dry joint.

Mike
WM4B

Mike;

Jerry

Mike
WM4B

FYI

Jerry

JEFF WALSH

Jerry ... ur absolutly right ....has pulverized copper in it ,,,,, I believe the original patent expired years ago so it now available by under several brand names ..... great stuff if u live near salt water..... when i lived in FL I put a wipe on any part when working on my boat that was used only in salt water ... still use it and swear by it here MS

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 4:59 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

Jeff:

Stuff I use has copper flakes in it and is used to prevent oxidation of aluminum wires in electrical circuits from causing fires, etc.   It's marketed under a variety  of names like Penetrox by companies like Ideal, GC (are they still around?).

Jerry  N9AVY

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

Mike
WM4B

Mike;

Jerry

Mike
WM4B

FYI

Jerry

Jerry N9AVY

Up here in frozen North, some of us put a few turns of electrical tape at every joint because ice/water can migrate into cracks and cause damage.

Jerry n9avy

Sent: Sunday, January 7, 2018 5:10 PM

Jerry ... ur absolutly right ....has pulverized copper in it ,,,,, I believe the original patent expired years ago so it now available by under several brand names ..... great stuff if u live near salt water..... when i lived in FL I put a wipe on any part when working on my boat that was used only in salt water ... still use it and swear by it here MS

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 4:59 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

Jeff:

Jerry  N9AVY

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

Mike
WM4B

Mike;

Jerry

Mike
WM4B

FYI

Jerry

B C <k9wis@...>

Is penetrox different than no-ox...the stuff I have is like a black goo..in a tube.

Brian K9WIS

Jerry N9AVY

My mix up (old age , I guess) .  The black goo in the tube is right stuff.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent: Sunday, January 7, 2018 8:41 PM

Is penetrox different than no-ox...the stuff I have is like a black goo..in a tube.

Brian K9WIS