From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jerry N9AVY
Sent: Sunday, January 7, 2018 12:07 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: [070Club] Antennas

FYI

If anyone took their brand new aluminium antenna out of the box and just stuck it all together,  you need to put conductive grease between all sections.  This paste goes by a variety of names and is sold at Home Depot. Lowe's, Maenard's , most electrical supply house and even hardware stores.

This grease probably should be replaced after lots of years in use as there may be oxidation in the joints.  That why antennas sometimes require a bit of TLC. Water gets in a lot of places where it seems impossible. Be sure to use conductive grease liberally .  It's okay it a big glob of it comes out at joint. Just wipe it off.

Have had an antenna with oxidation problems in past. Changing grease corrected problem.

Jerry

Jerry N9AVY

Try it and write a review !

If anyone took their brand new aluminium antenna out of the box and just stuck it all together,  you need to put conductive grease between all sections.  This paste goes by a variety of names and is sold at Home Depot. Lowe's, Maenard's , most electrical supply house and even hardware stores.

This grease probably should be replaced after lots of years in use as there may be oxidation in the joints.  That why antennas sometimes require a bit of TLC. Water gets in a lot of places where it seems impossible. Be sure to use conductive grease liberally .  It's okay it a big glob of it comes out at joint. Just wipe it off.

Have had an antenna with oxidation problems in past. Changing grease corrected problem.

Jerry

B C <k9wis@...>

Hmmm..thats good advice Jerry..sometime last fall somethign failed in my 30M trap on my vertical and I lost 40 and 80..works great up to 30M..I thought the trap opened up but inspected the coils and the screws holding it toghter..but never thought of actually checking the joints where the sections slip together..hmm and its supposed to get all the way up to 25 today...sounds like antenna project weather..
Brian K9WIS

Jerry N9AVY

You might rub a bratwurst on the antenna... maybe a little sauerkraut and wash it off with Miller Lite.
Jerry

BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 3:07 PM, Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...> wrote:

[...]

Jeff:

Stuff I use has copper flakes in it and is used to prevent oxidation of aluminum wires in electrical circuits from causing fires, etc.   It's marketed under a variety  of names like Penetrox by companies like Ideal, GC (are they still around?).

Jerry  N9AVY

[...]

Jerry ... ur absolutly right ....has pulverized copper in it ,,,,, I believe the original patent expired years ago so it now available by under several brand names ..... great stuff if u live near salt water..... when i lived in FL I put a wipe on any part when working on my boat that was used only in salt water ... still use it and swear by it here MS

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 4:59 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

[...]

Up here in frozen North, some of us put a few turns of electrical tape at every joint because ice/water can migrate into cracks and cause damage.

Jerry n9avy

[...]

Is penetrox different than no-ox...the stuff I have is like a black goo..in a tube.

Brian K9WIS

Jerry N9AVY

My mix up (old age , I guess) .  The black goo in the tube is right stuff.

Jerry  n9avy