Topics

LoTW vs. Eqsl

Jerry N9AVY

Thought it was an interesting stat that since electronic logging going back to 1979,  there are 30.651 confirmations on LoTW  while on Eqsl there are only 13923.   Quite a difference.  If I ever get LoTW working again there will be a couple more confirmations.

While LoTW has a lot of DX contacts, very few DXpeditions (rare) actually use Eqsl.  Haven't checked Clublog, yet.  Mostly Eqsl seems to be used by digital hams (IMO).  Lots of ordinary DX and such.

Noticed that Eqsl changed their page... not sure if I like it or not.  Am from the " if it's not broke don't fix it school of thought".

Jerry

Don - KM4UDX

When the level of guilt exceeds the amount of inertia, my laziness get put on the back seat and with much moaning and groaning I post my log updates.  First LoTW, then eQSL then QRZ.

With zero interest in "confirmed QSOs" in any platform, my motivation is 100% purely civic. Other hams appreciate my updates.  So I do it all for you.
--
Don, km4udx

Rick - N7WE

On behalf of lots of hams out there "Thank you Don."  That's in the true Ham Spirit.  I too am not really concerned with confirmations anymore but regularly upload to the three biggies plus HamClubLog periodically.  But LoTW confirmations were important to me when I was chasing ARRL DXCC - Digital.  My disappointment was at that time it was only "all digital modes" - even though I did it PSK31.  Don't know if that has changed.  But that was back when sunspots were in season and FT-8 didn't exist!

Eric KG6MZS

Who was it that said that the QSL is the final courtesy of the QSO?

As a graphic designer I've always found eQSL to be kind of a mess.  I think Clublog and LoTW have far better GUIs.

I honor them all... eventually ;-)

Another country heard from,

73

Eric

KG6MZS

Jerry N9AVY

Don:

To each his own.  Am sure many hams around the world appreciate your efforts.  I used to be very lax about sending out confirmations by card, LoTW and Eqsl; somewhere in early 2000 I became aware of the fact that there were others out there expecting QSLs so I took up the cause.  Also 16 years of working for the ARRL Incoming QSL Bureau made me appreciate QSLing more.

The bureau cards dwindled off sometime around 2010 and I retired a few years later. I processed thousands of cards and had fun doing it.

Nowadays I mostly QSL via LoTW, Eqsl and those few rare bureau cards.  Of course, I was chasing DXCC (confirmed) and made it to 337 DXCC with the last 3 looking to slim if ever.

All my QSL cards received over the years are in shoe boxes on closet shelf. Spent a lot of $$$ on QSLing over the years. At one time I figured sending for cards overseas was around $5 per card with return postage , if they ever came back.

Now I mostly have fun just working stations.

73, Jerry  n9avy

On Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 10:24:35 AM CST, Don - KM4UDX <dontay155@...> wrote:

When the level of guilt exceeds the amount of inertia, my laziness get put on the back seat and with much moaning and groaning I post my log updates.  First LoTW, then eQSL then QRZ.

With zero interest in "confirmed QSOs" in any platform, my motivation is 100% purely civic. Other hams appreciate my updates.  So I do it all for you.
--
Don, km4udx

Jerry N9AVY

Eric:

Have you seen Eqsl's new format ?  Why fix things when they aren't broke ?

Graphic Designer, huh ?  I dabbled with that when I wrote newsletters & a magazine, but that was when everything was glue sticks & Exacto knives. So glad everything got computerized.

Jerry

On 1/6/21 9:54 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

Eric:

Have you seen Eqsl's new format ?

I just took a look at your urging.  It looks like a modest improvement to me.  However, to paraphrase Churchill, they had much to be modest about ;-)

I also learned my trade in the photo/mechanical world with technical pens, airbrushes and, yes, Xacto® blades.  I don't miss having to start over at 3am because I spilled my airbursh on the sky background I was working on.  Command Z is a blessing.  However desktop publishing did produce an abundance of "ransom note" graphics from nascent designers who figured if two fonts are good, twenty fonts are 10x as good.

Another country heard from,

73

Eric

KG6MZS

Ken Campbell <n6pcd1@...>

For what it’s worth, I upload to LoTW after every radio session. Who knows, someone may really need that ultra-rare six land call, even if it is coming from Zero Land...

As to EQSL, I simply never saw the point in it.
--
All the best,
Ken N6PCD/0

Jerry N9AVY

Used to upload after every session, but my LoTW got screwed up on computer when I upgraded from WIN XP to WIN7 and now updates are infrequent.

Eqsl for me really has little value because I don't go after their awards.  I only use it to see what stations I work don't use LoTW (there are a few).

Jerry

On Thursday, January 7, 2021, 08:21:37 AM CST, Ken Campbell <n6pcd1@...> wrote:

For what it’s worth, I upload to LoTW after every radio session. Who knows, someone may really need that ultra-rare six land call, even if it is coming from Zero Land...

As to EQSL, I simply never saw the point in it.
--
All the best,
Ken N6PCD/0
070 #801
LONP #187

Barry VA7GEM

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 06:21 AM, Ken Campbell wrote:
N6PCD/0
Ken
I for one am still in need of that callsign in my log.
I do have the old one missing the /0 so searching for you.
Happy New Year
Barry

Ken Campbell <n6pcd1@...>

Barry,

I added the /0 to my call because we moved to Missouri last summer. Don’t know if that makes a difference, but I will keep an eye out for you!
--
All the best,
Ken N6PCD/0

Barry VA7GEM

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 08:09 AM, Ken Campbell wrote:
Barry,

I added the /0 to my call because we moved to Missouri last summer. Don’t know if that makes a difference, but I will keep an eye out for you!
--
All the best,
Ken N6PCD/0
070 #801
LONP #187
Ken
I was trying to say I logged ur old locn and am looking to get the coveted new locn.
HNY
Barry