Antennas for 160m

Jerry N9AVY

The setup that many use is a vertical on 160m with a beverage antenna for receive.

The beverage antenna doesn't have to be very high... just run it along a fence or even lower. A friend's lot borders on on a forest preserve area and in Winter he'd run his beverage antenna out there, but had to take it down when weather turned nice and people went tramping about.

With a beverage, the longer the better.  One thing is that the far end needs to be terminated with a 600 Ohm resistor... K9DX had several Beverage antenna, but he was out in farmland and there was a bit of lightning activity at times which blew some resistors; so he made the resistors plugable.

There is also the option of using a magnetic loop. I built one a few years ago and it's still in garage.  It's a 4 ft. box loop , but never got any further because I didn't have a transmit antenna.  Magnetic loops worked quite well for me back in my SWL days when I'd DX on the AM broadcast band. Had a 2 ft. loop which enabled me to null out local 50KW WGN and hear the Cuban station underneath it. Was about 6 miles from WGN transmitter site.

A mag loop can be homebrewed way cheaper than commercial models sold on net. Using wood dowels and hookup wire, probably less than $50 as opposed to commercial model which go for around $500. The antenna can be placed anywhere you have room for it and can be rotated for best reception (armstrong method).

Many radios have the capability of using a receive only antenna... the FT-1000MP has a front panel AB/RX switch for that reason.Am sure others do as well.

Antennas for 160m depend on what you have room for installing. Length of a 1/2 wave dipole is like 260 ft. ... the closer you get to that length the better.  There are many articles on the net for 160m antennas.

Jerry  n9avy

On Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 09:35:29 AM CST, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

Please add me in too John.  I had a very, very poor temp setup that I can no longer setup and take down.  Sure would like to get something up for 160 that WORKS and I could leave up!  Thanks!

My beverage is short at only 150 ft and it works great on 160 and 80.  I've even used it on 40 and 30 mtrs.  I used something like a 470 ohm terminating resistor but I got tired of changing out the burnt out terminating resistor caused by static discharge so I went to the 5 watt metal oxide ones and the present one has been in use for a year.  Guaranteed to bring out weak 160 mtr signals out of the noise.  I can only imagine how a 3 or 4 hundred ft. long beverage would work.  The 1000MP makes it very easy.

John
KC3FL

Jerry N9AVY

Wish that K9DX's remote site was still running.   It had 9   `110 Ft. verticals in a circle (like a 4 square) with a doghouse in middle for tuning.  Then there were all the Beverages.  Visited there a couple of times.  Wonder have been a great site for 070 contests !

As I stated John mounted terminating resistors on fuse holders so the could be plugged in fast when lightning struck. It was a 35 mile trip from his home to the 80 acre site. He had power company out there every time he found noisy power lines and even told them exactly where it was. Now power company no longer comes out for RFI complaints.

A couple years ago I acquired one of those 43 ft. verticals, but never got it mounted because I needed to pull out old vertical and hunk of pipe it mounted on ... original pipe is 1 1/2 inch aluminum, but new vertical needs 2 inch pipe. Stroke in 2019 cut that and other projects short.

With a Beverage it's been said that you can run them around corners to get more length.  Don't know how that works...

Jerry  n9avy

On Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 10:31:11 AM CST, John - KC3FL via groups.io <kc3fl@...> wrote:

My beverage is short at only 150 ft and it works great on 160 and 80.  I've even used it on 40 and 30 mtrs.  I used something like a 470 ohm terminating resistor but I got tired of changing out the burnt out terminating resistor caused by static discharge so I went to the 5 watt metal oxide ones and the present one has been in use for a year.  Guaranteed to bring out weak 160 mtr signals out of the noise.  I can only imagine how a 3 or 4 hundred ft. long beverage would work.  The 1000MP makes it very easy.

John
KC3FL

Jerry, Lot's of information on 160m antenna's.
What do you run on 160m?
Me? I just "force feed" my 80m vertical. When the roll-back circuits kick in, I can still easily make Q's with Fred, W0PE, in Yorba Linda, Ca., about 5 miles away, as the crow flies.
Milt.
070-650

[...]

160m antenna here is an Alpha-Delta DX-A which worked pretty well until I raised one end into tree and tree grew.  It messed up the angle and now is non-resonant on 160m.  Just need to get at tree and lower the height, but dang rope had tree grow around it and doesn't move.

Might get at it b4 the snow flies ...

Jerry  n9avy

On Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 12:26:15 PM CST, N6MG - Milt. via groups.io <n6mg@...> wrote:

[...]

F.R. Ashley

Hi all,

I just use a very simple inverted-L and it does pretty good.   It runs
vertical for about 65 feet and then horizontal the rest of the length
over to another tree.   I only have two 1/8th wave radials.   I manged
to earn 160 meter WAS with it and now have about 40 countries.

73 Buddy WB4M

Barry VA7GEM

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 10:30 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

160m antenna here is an Alpha-Delta DX-A which worked pretty well until I raised one end into tree and tree grew.  It messed up the angle and now is non-resonant on 160m.  Just need to get at tree and lower the height, but dang rope had tree grow around it and doesn't move.

Might get at it b4 the snow flies ...

Jerry  n9avy

Jerry
Easiest way to lower the height is with a chainsaw.
Bonus is wood for the winter.
Hope to see you on the doubleheader
Barry

Jerry N9AVY

Barry:

Thought about taking out a chunk of the tree just below the antenna and then gluing it back together, but problem was how to hold up top of tree while sawing of a few feet.

Jerry

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 06:42 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

Barry:

Thought about taking out a chunk of the tree just below the antenna and then gluing it back together, but problem was how to hold up top of tree while sawing of a few feet.

Jerry

On Thursday, December 3, 2020, 08:28:02 AM CST, Barry VA7GEM via groups.io <boat.anchor@...> wrote:

Jerry
Easiest way to lower the height is with a chainsaw.
Bonus is wood for the winter.
Hope to see you on the doubleheader
Barry
Jerry
I reckoned you would just take a few feet out of the bottom.
Old guys should stay off of ladders. My XYL gave mine
to the neighbor.
See you on the Double Header
Barry

Jerry N9AVY

Drs. orders - NO Ladders !

Jerry

On Thursday, December 3, 2020, 06:04:27 PM CST, Barry VA7GEM via groups.io <boat.anchor@...> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 06:42 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

Barry:

Thought about taking out a chunk of the tree just below the antenna and then gluing it back together, but problem was how to hold up top of tree while sawing of a few feet.

Jerry

On Thursday, December 3, 2020, 08:28:02 AM CST, Barry VA7GEM via groups.io <boat.anchor@...> wrote:

Jerry
Easiest way to lower the height is with a chainsaw.
Bonus is wood for the winter.
Hope to see you on the doubleheader
Barry
Jerry
I reckoned you would just take a few feet out of the bottom.
Old guys should stay off of ladders. My XYL gave mine
to the neighbor.
See you on the Double Header
Barry

Well, Jerry, I can hardly understand that Dr's order...I mean from someone that built a bookcase/console for his radio and it collapsed, what could possibly go wrong?
On a serious note, I have to own up to falling off an extension ladder a few years ago. I had the ladder extended up to about 10' agl. I was at the top, leaning waaay out to the left, working on a tangled up American flag. Well, so much for the all-important "weights & balances" that I studied as a Naval Aviator.
The ladder flipped around dumping me in the rose bed below.
What I remember was things going to slow motion on my way down...I remember thinking,
"This is gonna hurt!"..."This is gonna hurt!"...
I landed on a coiled up 100' heavy duty hose. No pain! But, I bounced a few feet up in the air and landed on the brick knee wall around the roses and wound up with a broken rib and a bruised shoulder.
Land of the free, home of the brave? That American flag now fends for itself!
Anybody else have ladder stories?
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 06:42 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

Barry:

Thought about taking out a chunk of the tree just below the antenna and then gluing it back together, but problem was how to hold up top of tree while sawing of a few feet.

Jerry

On Thursday, December 3, 2020, 08:28:02 AM CST, Barry VA7GEM via groups.io <boat.anchor@...> wrote:

Jerry
Easiest way to lower the height is with a chainsaw.
Bonus is wood for the winter.
Hope to see you on the doubleheader
Barry
Jerry
I reckoned you would just take a few feet out of the bottom.
Old guys should stay off of ladders. My XYL gave mine
to the neighbor.
See you on the Double Header
Barry

Leland Sly

I fall down just standing on the floor these days...hi hi.  I have a son that is over 6' tall and when a light bulb needs changing he's the guy I ask.

73

Lee N5SLY

On Thursday, December 3, 2020, 08:28:02 AM CST, Barry VA7GEM via groups.io <boat.anchor=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:

Jerry
Easiest way to lower the height is with a chainsaw.
Bonus is wood for the winter.
Hope to see you on the doubleheader
Barry
Jerry
I reckoned you would just take a few feet out of the bottom.
Old guys should stay off of ladders. My XYL gave mine
to the neighbor.
See you on the Double Header
Barry

Jerry N9AVY

My job as owner/installer of a small alarm company with many commercial installs was a lot of fun.  However, I fell off ladders 4 times  (was hoping for a 5th time and that would have made me an ace - not sure about spelling.).

First time was a few years back when I was on a 4 ft. step and had been working about 16 hours that day. Was tired in both body & mind thought I counted steps coming down, but miscounted and fell backwards onto concrete floor. Ouch.

Another time I was on a 7 ft ladder and again miscounted steps on way down and not only landed on concrete floor, but also against shelving in moving & storage warehouse.

A couple other falls which I can't recall, but pretty much same story with being exhausted, not counting my steps and ending up on concrete floor - splat ! They were painful experiences.

After a stroke in 2019 my balance was terrible and Dr. said no more ladder climbing... although I did try it once and was pretty shaky. In the course of job over the years I've been up on 24 ft. ladders and scissors lifts working in ceilings.  Probably the stupidest thing I did was up on the roof of Chicago's Civic Center which was 780 odd feet above the street; I walked to edge look over where there was no railing, just a 2 inch rail for window washers.  It was February and fortunately there was no wind (that Chicago is famous for) that day.  Still question why I did that.

Did some other interesting stuff like trained to work in chemical plants where I would have had to climb into large storage tanks. They would tie a rope to my harness and like an idiot I asked what that was for ?  Was told that it was to save the 2 guys who went in after me if I died there.

Loads of fun !

Jerry   n9avy

On Thursday, December 3, 2020, 09:22:18 PM CST, N6MG - Milt. via groups.io <n6mg@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard Rohrer

Milt & Jerry,

Interesting stories.  I have never fallen off a ladder, but have my own story.  I needed to working on a roof mounted antenna so I got out my 15ft extension ladder and put it up.  Started climbing and got to about 3 1/2 feet off the ground and the top section slid down and stopped on my foot, trapping it.  Apparently the latches had not caught.  So there I was 3 1/2 feet off the ground stuck and trying to figure out how long it would take the xyl to wonder what happened to me.  Should I try to fall over backwards with the ladder on top of me and how much damage would I suffer, being over 70.  I finally managed to get my foot out of the shoe, with some effort and was free.  The xyl thought I was "stupid" for not making sure the upper section of the ladder was securely latched.  I do now, every time I use a ladder.  She still lets me get on the roof, but I think those days are numbered.

I have also had the same problem as Jerry with trees growing over support ropes.  I now use steel cables with pieces of flexible conduit over them to go over the tree limbs.  I have a pulley on the cable with the host rope for the antenna.  I found that if the steel cable gets stuck, a hand winch will break it loose.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Scotty W7PSK

Milt what did you fly as a Nasal Aviator :).

I have near 7000 hrs as a Naval Air Crewman.  Started on EC-121Ms then EA-3Bs.  On to EP-3Es as an Airborne Electronic Warfare Operator.  UC-12B (Beech King Air 200) as loadmaster/Crewchief and then P-3C Flight Engineer.

On the related subject, I "HAD" a G5RV that had in a 50Ft Hemlock in the front yard.  About 40ft down the tree, the rest went to the back yard to a 10ft post in the back corner.  I say Had because the tree was a double trunk we had to have removed because a crack developed in it.  So now Im sans anything for 40 and below.

Scotty W7PSK

--
Scotty W7PSK
Everett, Washington

Jerry N9AVY

Dick:

Had one of those ladders you mentioned. After a couple mishaps with it not locking in, sold it at a garage sale. They were cheaply constructed imitations of Little Giant ladders.  You were lucky to have escaped without major damaged to your foot !

Jerry

On Friday, December 4, 2020, 04:36:06 PM CST, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

[...]

My boss was a naval aviator.. he was the guy who jumped out of the plane to helped downed aviators in the drink.

Jerry

On Friday, December 4, 2020, 05:13:01 PM CST, Scotty W7PSK <w7psk@...> wrote:

[...]

Ahh he was a SAR Naval Air Crewman on a Helo.  Just a minor thing Jerry,  Naval Aviator are Pilots, People who work are Naval Air Crewman. :P :) :) :)

NFOs, thats another story :) :) :)

On 12/4/2020 15:40, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
[...]

My mistake .  He later transferred to hauling cargo in and out of Nam.

On Friday, December 4, 2020, 07:23:01 PM CST, Scotty W7PSK <w7psk@...> wrote:

[...]

I flew the F-4H & J. The H was basically a D model, with A model engines. The A model engines were incredible.
Very few weapons, but lot's of camera's, etc. VF-92 from Jan 69 & VF-143  to Feb 72.
You sure have more time in Nomex than I do! Ha! That Prowler is a huge airplane! The Orion?...you just sort of aim them, huh? That P-C3 is another big boy.
It's all history now, and at the age of 75, I don't let my mind go there too often.
Anyway, now if I can just locate and correct a problem I'm having with my MixW's 'icon.cfg' file, my afternoon will be a success!
Milt
N6MG