Words of wisdom

Jerry N9AVY

Just heard this one on 20m PSK ...      " ... locals have never driven on this stuff before and there are accidents all over ..."

Obviously referring to snow and ice... been there saw that years ago.  People in those climates tend to drive on "Bald Eagles" and have never driven on slick surfaces before.  When I got my drivers license there was a shopping center nearby which had a clear iced over parking lot; so took my vehicle (2 WD)  out a did donuts with every intention of losing control, but I quickly learned how to make a recovery from skids and spins.  Later, driving in all kids of weather it paid off; especially on "black ice".

Maybe someone could open up an ice rink in the South for the same reasons and make a fortune charging $100+  an hour for the thrill of what we experience every Winter up North ?

Jerry  n9avy

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

Trust me... as a Georgia resident and former Michigander who learned to drive on ice and snow the same way you did, we do NOT want these people to even ATTEMPT to drive in those conditions.  They already have too much confidence and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Some of these folks are the first generation off a mule... bless their hearts!  :>)

Mike
WM4B

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 1:47 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

 Just heard this one on 20m PSK ...      " ... locals have never driven on this stuff before and there are accidents all over ..."

Obviously referring to snow and ice... been there saw that years ago.  People in those climates tend to drive on "Bald Eagles" and have never driven on slick surfaces before.  When I got my drivers license there was a shopping center nearby which had a clear iced over parking lot; so took my vehicle (2 WD)  out a did donuts with every intention of losing control, but I quickly learned how to make a recovery from skids and spins.  Later, driving in all kids of weather it paid off; especially on "black ice".

Maybe someone could open up an ice rink in the South for the same reasons and make a fortune charging $100+  an hour for the thrill of what we experience every Winter up North ?  *=)) rolling on the floor

Jerry  n9avy

Ray Clements

Years ago, I flew into the Nashville airport just as snow was beginning to fall. It was late afternoon and the sun soon set. The pavement was still warm enough to melt the snow, but as soon as the sun set, the water froze into black ice. Tennessee has no state vehicle inspection, so many people tried to stretch the life of their tires. We only have an emissions inspection in Illinois, but only a fool begins winter without good tire tread up here.

Driving along Briley Pky in a rental car, I saw cars literally slide sideways off the road into ditches. Trucks jackknifed on I-40. Even though I knew how to drive under those conditions, it became apparent that the natives had no clue what they were doing. I took the next exit off the Pky and found a hotel room, even though my reservation for the evning was on the other side of town. The news reports the next day indicated there were 70 accidents per mile on the main roads around town. Unfortunately, one poor soul was killed when he slid off an Interstate ramp and down an embankment.

Thus, I have the greatest of sympathy for those who live in areas who have little or no snow removal equipment and who drive in snow and ice so seldom that they never develop that skill. If you live in such an area, stay home, stay safe, stay warm and play radio.

Ray N9RWC

Just heard this one on 20m PSK ...      " ... locals have never driven on this stuff before and there are accidents all over ..."

Obviously referring to snow and ice... been there saw that years ago.  People in those climates tend to drive on "Bald Eagles" and have never driven on slick surfaces before.  When I got my drivers license there was a shopping center nearby which had a clear iced over parking lot; so took my vehicle (2 WD)  out a did donuts with every intention of losing control, but I quickly learned how to make a recovery from skids and spins.  Later, driving in all kids of weather it paid off; especially on "black ice".

Maybe someone could open up an ice rink in the South for the same reasons and make a fortune charging $100+  an hour for the thrill of what we experience every Winter up North ?

Jerry  n9avy

Charles Odom, KI4VMK # 2542

We do that in the mud, its fun

73,

KI4VMK
# 2542
On Jan 4, 2018, at 12:47 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

[...]

Quotable quote.   :-)

From: "Jerry N9AVY" <n9avy@...>
To: 070Club@groups.io

Just heard this one on 20m PSK ...      " ... locals have never driven on this stuff before and there are accidents all over ..."

Obviously referring to snow and ice... been there saw that years ago.  People in those climates tend to drive on "Bald Eagles" and have never driven on slick surfaces before.  When I got my drivers license there was a shopping center nearby which had a clear iced over parking lot; so took my vehicle (2 WD)  out a did donuts with every intention of losing control, but I quickly learned how to make a recovery from skids and spins.  Later, driving in all kids of weather it paid off; especially on "black ice".

Maybe someone could open up an ice rink in the South for the same reasons and make a fortune charging $100+  an hour for the thrill of what we experience every Winter up North ?

Jerry  n9avy

Joseph Molon <ljl2002@...>

Jerry,
Ha Ha Ha.  I did the exact same thing while I was stationed in Germany.  We would wait until there was  a few inches of snow and we would head out on the tarmac (after getting clearance that no Chinooks were inbound) and began doing doughnuts and getting up to 20 mph and slamming on the brakes to see if we could control the car. (this was before anti-lock brakes)  Several of my buddies joined in and we began doing multi-360's.  What a blast.  There was never a chance of hitting anything because we had a huge tarmac.  The Germans watched and chalked it up to those crazy Americans.  They will do anything.
All this baffoonery paid off for me about two weeks later when I found myself in a real road situation in the snow.  Hit the brakes and safely controlled the car.  Could have ended very badly otherwise.  Still, it was a load of fun in the snow.  Kind of like a demo derby without the demo.
Ahhh... those were the days.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 01:47 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

[...]

We visited some friends up in Rochester several years ago and overnight they got a foot ++ of snow.  When we woke up in the morning and looked out and saw it they just shrugged it off.  "Just a dusting".  I guess it's all relative.

We got about a foot today but it was all powder so not a big deal.  As long as we continue to have power (heat) NBD.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482