How to calculate your Grid when operating Away From Home

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Many (perhaps all?) Garmin GPS receivers can display the Maidenhead Grid for your current location. I used mine to verify that I was, indeed, in CN98 for my recent Grid-pedition.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Jul 17, 2020, at 8:22 PM, John Gianotti <w9wy@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

There is a program in the Apple Store called HAM SQUARE that will do the
same.

-- 30
John W9WY

John Gianotti <w9wy@...>

There is a program in the Apple Store called HAM SQUARE that will do the
same.

-- 30
John W9WY

K7DWI Art

I use an App for my Android device called HamGPS.
It displays your Grid Square to 10 characters.
Not sure if I need that, but what the heck.
73 Art K7DWI CN82IK38EA

Mike W4BZM

If you have an Android phone with GPS, there is a simple app called Grid Square Locator that will provide you with your current grid square (all six characters), the names of adjacent squares, and your lat/long almost immediately. As I recall, it was free.

Mike W4BZM

GA - Bob - K4VBM

This is what I use to calculate my grid based on my current GPS coordinates provided by a USB GPS plugged into my laptop:

http://www.keplerian.com/software/WinGrid.exe

(Windows program)

"New Improved" WinGrid Ver5.2 (wingrid.exe)  This program calculates grid squares from latitudes and longitudes, the reverse, and calculates distances and headings from two sets of lat/long or grid squares. The program saves your home QTH information. Click on "DISTANCE" to convert from miles to kilometers. Version 5.2 calculates extended (8 character) grid squares. The software was extensively revised and cleaned up for this new version. Version 4.0 corrects for a minor error in heading calculation for opposite sides of the earth. Version 3.9 displays both forward and reverse headings. Version 3.8 corrects a minor error in the minutes value for the center of a grid square. Version 3.7 uses a much more accurate distance algorithm, accounting for the earth's polar flattening and equatorial bulge. Starting with Ver3.6 it is possible to switch between "DD MM SS" and "DD.ddddd" for latitude and longitude. L-click twice on the home or destination boxes to switch between "DD MM SS" and "DD.dddd" formats for each box. L-click twice on the main frame to change both home and destination windows at the same time. This version also saves the format and "miles" or "kilometers" for the range. On starting the program or "Recall Home" these will be reset. Starting with Ver3.5, the program begins with the cursor on the Destination Grid box. Enter a value and hit "ENTER". Distance and heading will be instantly calculated. The Ver3.4 upgrade corrects a minor problem with grid squares near 30 second "boundary lines" in Ver3.3.