Grid-pedition to CN98

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

All right, sports fans, I think I’m ready to take a swing at this.

The plan will be to head out to a small park in Granite Falls, WA which is just barely in the SW corner of CN98. I’ve never seen the park, never been to Granite Falls, but I have checked aerial imagery of the spot and it looks like there’s a modest parking lot that is clear of overhead trees, public toilets, and easy access. I’m even hoping for cell phone coverage.

Here’s what I need to know: what time of day do you all think is most promising? I was thinking 2100Z to perhaps 0100Z or perhaps even later if conditions are good. Suggestions on bands to try would be helpful as well, so I can be prepared with Tarheel settings.

Suggestions on days of the week folks would find most useful are also welcome.

And finally, if you’re chasing grids and there are grids in WA state you need, let me know. Looking at Steve’s list of grids it looks to me like CN96 might be worth a trip (it helps that Mt. Rainier NP lies in CN96, and it’s a beautiful spot).

But also there are a bunch of grids along the WA coast that seem like they might be worth a trip, although for PODXS070 purposes they are excluded because it’s only a wee sliver of land that lies within the grid. But I am intrepid and have spent a great deal of time photographing on the coast, and I think it should be possible to work from those grids. I’m thinking CN76, CN77, CN78 are all possibilities if I make a trip to the coast.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

Paul,

I've worked several west coast stations on 20 from Central Florida between 22:00 and 01:00 during the past week and have seen activity as late as 02:00.  Don't know if that helps but that's what I've seen.  I need CN98 so will be looking for you, also need DN08
John
KC3FL

Eric <radio@...>

Paul,

Any day of the week is good with me - as long as I have the heads up.

I have worked all grids in Washington in one mode or another, but I do not have LotW confirmation on CN76 or CN98.

As far as PODX 070 #s go, I’d need to check and get back to you.

Thanks for making this effort!

Another country heard from,

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

On Jun 18, 2020, at 6:50 AM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@butzi.net> wrote:

[...]

Rick - N7WE

Paul-
The only WA grid I still need is CN98.  So I will definitely be searching for your Grid-pedition!

For times, John - KC3FL nailed it for what works for us here in FL on 20m.  But, he has a much better antenna setup than my miserly HOA compatible vertical.  When we worked during your shakedown I have it as 2234 and your signal got MUCH stronger after that as you were working others.  So I'd generalize that 2200 to 0000 is best for me.  I don't know if 40m will be doable due to the SSB interference.  If they are on, it blanks 7.070 to 7.072.  With just the vertical, there is no way to null them out.  Sigh!   But they aren't always on.  After about 0000, 20m is usually pretty much closed for me, so 40m might be worth a try if we can't make it on 20m.  I'm retired so any day of the week works for me.

If you do Mt. Rainier, I'll be trying to work you even though I don't need the grid.  Are you thinking Sunrise Visitor Center?  That should be a great location for working to the east and south.

I'd love to do the Washington coast again...even if I didn't manage one Q!  I found working from the Washington and Oregon coast was tough to the east, as the Coast Range often made things difficult to impossible.  Japan, Hawaii, and some of the rarer ones in Oceania were fun though, as they are not easy from Florida.  But with the Franken-Tarheel it might be a different story.  Just pick your spots!  Topography matters.

Looking forward to your launch announcement and the after-action report when you are back home.  Good Luck and Great Fun to you!  73,

Eric <radio@...>

Rick,

This has been a major consideration for me in the planning stages of my grid expedition.  Google Earth has been pretty cool for finding eastern slopes and good eastern horizons.

Another country heard from,

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

On Jun 18, 2020, at 10:20 AM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

Just pick your spots!  Topography matters.

Rick - N7WE

RRR Eric.  What did we do before Google Earth?  Oh I remember, they were called USGS topo maps!  hi hi.  Life is lots easier these days.

On 6/18/2020 13:27, Eric wrote:
Rick,

This has been a major consideration for me in the planning stages of my grid expedition.  Google Earth has been pretty cool for finding eastern slopes and good eastern horizons.

Another country heard from,

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

On Jun 18, 2020, at 10:20 AM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

Just pick your spots!  Topography matters.

Eric <radio@...>

I have a mountain of USGS quads, some are pretty beat up.

I wonder how much money I’ve spent on topos, film processing any vinyl that is now unplayably scratched?  There is a reason retirement is not on the horizon. ;-)

Another country heard from,

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

On Jun 18, 2020, at 10:36 AM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

RRR Eric.  What did we do before Google Earth?  Oh I remember, they were called USGS topo maps!  hi hi.  Life is lots easier these days.

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

If you do Mt. Rainier, I'll be trying to work you even though I don't need the grid.  Are you thinking Sunrise Visitor Center?  That should be a great location for working to the east and south.

Yeah, I was thinking Sunrise.  It’s up high, Northeast of the bulk of the mountain, and there are some truly excellent trails for me to run on while I’m there.  Training time at 6400 feet would be nice.  Even just a one hour run would be wonderful.

I'd love to do the Washington coast again...even if I didn't manage one Q!  I found working from the Washington and Oregon coast was tough to the east, as the Coast Range often made things difficult to impossible.  Japan, Hawaii, and some of the rarer ones in Oceania were fun though, as they are not easy from Florida.  But with the Franken-Tarheel it might be a different story.  Just pick your spots!  Topography matters.

I think CN76, the southwest corner of the state, would be pretty easy.  I’d just drive the car onto the beach in Long  Beach, put up the antenna, and fire away.  The topography is excellent as you’re pretty much south of the Olympics and the Cascades are far away.

CN87 might be tricky.  But Copalis Beach is not far north of Long Beach and would probably do fine.  Or even Ocean Shores if you’re north of town.  The other option would be to be up north, near La Push.  I’d have to sort out things with the tribal authorities but I’ve worked with them to do photography there and found them accomodating.  That far north you’d want to be as far west as you can get so the takeoff angle over the Olympics is lower

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

Paul,

Sorry if I missed it but do you have a tentative schedule?  I'd like to look for  you.

Bob KK6KMU

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Right now I’m thinking Monday 6/22 starting at 2200Z and going for 3 hours more or less, longer if condx are good.

If someone needs/wants CN98 and that timing doesn’t work for you, let me know.  If needed I can make multiple trips.

On Jun 18, 2020, at 3:29 PM, Bob Motyl KK6KMU <bobmotyl@...> wrote:

Paul,

Sorry if I missed it but do you have a tentative schedule?  I'd like to look for  you.

Bob KK6KMU

Stephen Melachrinos

Paul -

I need CN98, my last one for WA. Unfortunately I'm on a business trip without radios, so I won't be available on Monday.

So please put me on your list for a later return trip. Thanks

Right now I’m thinking Monday 6/22 starting at 2200Z and going for 3 hours more or less, longer if condx are good.

If someone needs/wants CN98 and that timing doesn’t work for you, let me know.  If needed I can make multiple trips.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Jun 18, 2020, at 3:29 PM, Bob Motyl KK6KMU <bobmotyl@...> wrote:

Paul,

Sorry if I missed it but do you have a tentative schedule?  I'd like to look for  you.

Bob KK6KMU

James Wilson

Is CM95 a desired grid?  I will be there for two weeks able to work all bands in a very low noise environment.

73 k6wrj

On Jun 18, 2020, at 8:25 PM, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...> wrote:

Paul -

I need CN98, my last one for WA. Unfortunately I'm on a business trip without radios, so I won't be available on Monday.

So please put me on your list for a later return trip. Thanks

Right now I’m thinking Monday 6/22 starting at 2200Z and going for 3 hours more or less, longer if condx are good.

If someone needs/wants CN98 and that timing doesn’t work for you, let me know.  If needed I can make multiple trips.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Jun 18, 2020, at 3:29 PM, Bob Motyl KK6KMU <bobmotyl@...> wrote:

Paul,

Sorry if I missed it but do you have a tentative schedule?  I'd like to look for  you.

Bob KK6KMU

1470 <boat.anchor@...>

Paul
This Dxped is gr8 news. I am in need of CN96 & CN98.
Those time frames work for me any day but would only work for me on 20M
cheers
Barry
va7gem
BTW do you have a Rasppi image with all ham software that I could borrow a copy .
I am finding the raspian a bit daunting but would like to get the pi running with my
Softrock 40/30/20
TVM

1470 <boat.anchor@...>

Paul
CN76/77/78 are also needed at this stn.
cheers
barry
va7gem

Chuck M

Dave, W3DJS, just released his new HamPi 1.0 that includes Raspbian image and around 80 ham related programs.  Haven't had a chance to download and install yet.  Planning to this weekend.  I'll post a link later today unless someone else beats me.

Jason, KM4ACK, has released his new Build-a-Pi, V3.  Think this one requires having Raspbian image already on card.  See his YouTube channel for more info.

Chuck
KD9DVB

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 03:46 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) wrote:
Right now I’m thinking Monday 6/22 starting at 2200Z and going for 3 hours more or less, longer if condx are good.

If someone needs/wants CN98 and that timing doesn’t work for you, let me know.  If needed I can make multiple trips.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!
Paul
Are you still thinking or is this now set to happen.
TU
Barry

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

The plan is set.  I will go up to CN98 tomorrow.  Folks who can’t work tomorrow, do not despair, I will make another trip later this summer.

I plan to be on site by 6/22 2030Z and QRV by 2100Z - a little time to allow for a certain amount of futzing around, as I have not been to the planned site.  If I can arrange things perfectly I might be able to get there earlier but for now that’s the plan.

If the site doesn’t work out plan B is to just drive around until I find a place to set up.

Current plan is to wrap things up around 6/23 0130Z.

I will start on 20m.  Other bands as conditions permit.  I should be in cell coverage and I’ll be looking at pskreporter, etc. to try to judge what seems promising.

Barry, when I at home, I am lucky if I can see your signals on 20m, I think they just go right over my head.  Up in Granite Falls the distance will not be much more favorable, so we may need to get adaptable and creative to make it happen.  That will be fun, I am looking forward to that challenge!

On Jun 21, 2020, at 9:21 AM, 1470 via groups.io <boat.anchor@...> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 03:46 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) wrote:
Right now I’m thinking Monday 6/22 starting at 2200Z and going for 3 hours more or less, longer if condx are good.

If someone needs/wants CN98 and that timing doesn’t work for you, let me know.  If needed I can make multiple trips.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!
Paul
Are you still thinking or is this now set to happen.
TU
Barry

1470 <boat.anchor@...>

Paul
Is there any possiblity of 30M
That has been wrkg well in close recently.
Barry

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Yep.  We can do 30m for sure.