Operating portable and logging issues

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Before I take my show on the road I want to sort out a bunch of issues.

One of them is logging.

Suppose I drive from my home in CN97BQ to a little park in CN96ab, set =
up and start operating PSK31

Should I use my callsign (W7PFB) or do I add /P so I=E2=80=99m calling =
CQ W7PFB/P? Or something else I haven=E2=80=99t considered?

When I upload these to the various logging services, do I set up =
separate logs? How about LOTW, do I set up a separate certificate?

Finally, let=E2=80=99s suppose I now go to CN96 and operate.

Do I again operate as W7PFB/P? Do I again need to separate those log =
entries from the ones in CN98?

Oy. This is making my head hurt. Someone give me a hand here. I =
recall an 070 thread from long ago that dealt with this in detail but of =
course I cannot find it now. I apologize for not paying attention =
before.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

Jerry N9AVY

Seems like everyone who was giving out grids was signing with /p... N7WE/P, KF3EH/P , etc. Not sure if they made grid locations in QSLing. That is up to you, I guess. Do whatever is easiest.

Jerry n9avy

On Saturday, June 13, 2020, 01:34:12 PM CDT, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

[...]

I just look for the /P and see you're on the go.  As far as LOTW goes, my understanding is that if the grid you upload and the other stations upload don't agree there is no confirmation.  If that's the case, every time you change grids you would have to go into the Station Location in TQSL and change the grid.  Might want to drop a line to the LOTW help desk.  For us grid chasers, all we need is the new grid.  Will be looking for you.

Stephen Melachrinos

John (and Paul) -

Actually, the only things that have to match to get a LoTW confirmation are date/time/callsigns/band/mode. Once that match is made, you get credit for wherever the other station says he was and he gets credit for wherever you say you were. DXCC entities are defined solely by the certificate that is used for the upload, but secondary administrative subdivision (state, province, oblast, prefecture, etc), grid square, IOTA, are all defined by the station location. It doesn't matter where I think you are--it's what you put in your station location in TQSL.

So John is right--you have to partition your log by location, and then create a new station location in TQSL for each of those logs based on where you were. Make sure you match the log to the location when you upload, or you won't give the right credit to the other stations.