Operating portable and logging issues

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Before I take my show on the road I want to sort out a bunch of issues.

One of them is logging.

Suppose I drive from my home in CN97BQ to a little park in CN96ab, set =
up and start operating PSK31

Should I use my callsign (W7PFB) or do I add /P so I=E2=80=99m calling =
CQ W7PFB/P? Or something else I haven=E2=80=99t considered?

When I upload these to the various logging services, do I set up =
separate logs? How about LOTW, do I set up a separate certificate?

Finally, let=E2=80=99s suppose I now go to CN96 and operate.

Do I again operate as W7PFB/P? Do I again need to separate those log =
entries from the ones in CN98?

Oy. This is making my head hurt. Someone give me a hand here. I =
recall an 070 thread from long ago that dealt with this in detail but of =
course I cannot find it now. I apologize for not paying attention =
before.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

Jerry N9AVY

Seems like everyone who was giving out grids was signing with /p... N7WE/P, KF3EH/P , etc. Not sure if they made grid locations in QSLing. That is up to you, I guess. Do whatever is easiest.

Jerry n9avy

On Saturday, June 13, 2020, 01:34:12 PM CDT, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

Before I take my show on the road I want to sort out a bunch of issues.

One of them is logging.

Suppose I drive from my home in CN97BQ to a little park in CN96ab, set =
up and start operating PSK31

Should I use my callsign (W7PFB) or do I add /P so I=E2=80=99m calling =
CQ W7PFB/P?  Or something else I haven=E2=80=99t considered?

When I upload these to the various logging services, do I set up =
separate logs?  How about LOTW, do I set up a separate certificate?

Finally, let=E2=80=99s suppose I now go to CN96 and operate.

Do I again operate as W7PFB/P?  Do I again need to separate those log =
entries from the ones in CN98?

Oy.  This is making my head hurt.  Someone give me a hand here.  I =
recall an 070 thread from long ago that dealt with this in detail but of =
course I cannot find it now.  I apologize for not paying attention =
before.

-p W7PFB

I just look for the /P and see you're on the go.  As far as LOTW goes, my understanding is that if the grid you upload and the other stations upload don't agree there is no confirmation.  If that's the case, every time you change grids you would have to go into the Station Location in TQSL and change the grid.  Might want to drop a line to the LOTW help desk.  For us grid chasers, all we need is the new grid.  Will be looking for you.

Stephen Melachrinos

John (and Paul) -

Actually, the only things that have to match to get a LoTW confirmation are date/time/callsigns/band/mode. Once that match is made, you get credit for wherever the other station says he was and he gets credit for wherever you say you were. DXCC entities are defined solely by the certificate that is used for the upload, but secondary administrative subdivision (state, province, oblast, prefecture, etc), grid square, IOTA, are all defined by the station location. It doesn't matter where I think you are--it's what you put in your station location in TQSL. 

So John is right--you have to partition your log by location, and then create a new station location in TQSL for each of those logs based on where you were. Make sure you match the log to the location when you upload, or you won't give the right credit to the other stations.

Steve
W3HF

-----Original Message-----
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Jun 13, 2020 8:08 pm
Subject: Re: [070Club] Operating portable and logging issues

I just look for the /P and see you're on the go.  As far as LOTW goes, my understanding is that if the grid you upload and the other stations upload don't agree there is no confirmation.  If that's the case, every time you change grids you would have to go into the Station Location in TQSL and change the grid.  Might want to drop a line to the LOTW help desk.  For us grid chasers, all we need is the new grid.  Will be looking for you.

Richard Rohrer

Hi Paul,

Here is how I handle my mobile/portable operations.  I applied to Lotw for two additional certificates, one for KC3EF/M and one for KC3EF/P.  When I operate from a grid, I make sure to note in my log what grid I am in.  Sometimes being mobile that can be a challenge especially if you are in a small corner of the grid.  When I get ready to send the qso's to Lotw I create a adif for that grid and save it to my mobile log directory.  I create a Lotw station location for that grid.  If mobile I usually don't do counties unless in some place in the West where the counties are large.  I then up load  using my /M certificate.  I save the adifs based on the trip so if I have to go back and correct something I can.  I do basically the same for portable operations.  The only downside I have found is I have not been able to automatically load back from Lotw into my logging program, since the /M & /P certificates are sub-sets of my main certificate.  I usually go to the my Lotw account and manually select that the contact has been confirmed.  Usually not a problem since don't make hundreds of contacts.   After a bit I delete the station location unless its some place we go to frequently.  

This is fairly easy to do in Lotw, but eQsl is another matter.  It does not lend itself to setting up temp locations.  So I usually upload to my main account and put in the comments what grid I was in during the contact.  At one time eQsl was going to make this easier, but never seems to have  happened.  

My thoughts and this is what works for me.  Takes some time, but it is nice to be able to help fellow 070 members get some of the more rare grids. 

Dick - KC3EF

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Thanks!

-p W7PFB

On Jun 14, 2020, at 7:38 AM, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

Hi Paul,

Here is how I handle my mobile/portable operations.  I applied to Lotw for two additional certificates, one for KC3EF/M and one for KC3EF/P.  When I operate from a grid, I make sure to note in my log what grid I am in.  Sometimes being mobile that can be a challenge especially if you are in a small corner of the grid.  When I get ready to send the qso's to Lotw I create a adif for that grid and save it to my mobile log directory.  I create a Lotw station location for that grid.  If mobile I usually don't do counties unless in some place in the West where the counties are large.  I then up load  using my /M certificate.  I save the adifs based on the trip so if I have to go back and correct something I can.  I do basically the same for portable operations.  The only downside I have found is I have not been able to automatically load back from Lotw into my logging program, since the /M & /P certificates are sub-sets of my main certificate.  I usually go to the my Lotw account and manually select that the contact has been confirmed.  Usually not a problem since don't make hundreds of contacts.   After a bit I delete the station location unless its some place we go to frequently.  

This is fairly easy to do in Lotw, but eQsl is another matter.  It does not lend itself to setting up temp locations.  So I usually upload to my main account and put in the comments what grid I was in during the contact.  At one time eQsl was going to make this easier, but never seems to have  happened.  

My thoughts and this is what works for me.  Takes some time, but it is nice to be able to help fellow 070 members get some of the more rare grids. 

Dick - KC3EF

Rick - N7WE

Dick is right.  When portable or mobile, knowing precisely what grid and county you are in can be difficult - particularly out west. 

If cell phone service is available (it still isn't in lots of remote areas) and you have a GPS enabled phone, I found the app "Grid Square Locator by US1PM Boris" helpful.  But it doesn't show county.  For county I found "Where Am I? by Ejlta LLC" helpful.  But it doesn't give you grid square.  Both are android apps and available on Google Play Store.  Never found an app that gives you both county and grid square.  I don't know about Ipad apps, but assume there are equivalents.  

In areas without cell coverage, I used my mobile - a Kenwood TM-700D with a GPS puck and the APRS-Position function.  That provides the 6 character grid square.  County lookup had to wait until we were back in cell coverage. Even when we were in cell coverage, it was nice to be able to double check location using two sources.  
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602