ARRL

Jim K5SP

Let my membership in ARRL expire. Got and email today with a link to a survey about renewal.

Took this opportunity to vent my frustration with ARRL and their refusal to rein in Joe Taylor K1JT, and his roughshod behavior about taking over segments of the band that historically by gentlemens agreement have been used for PSK operations.  Pointed that they have done nothing to protect us, are bowing down to the almighty Joe Taylor and for that reason, myself, and many other PSK operators are not renewing or joining.

Doubt anything comes of it, but I feel a better.

Jim,  K5SP #483

David, K9DWR

* Jim K5SP <jinnis@swbell.net> [2020-06-11 17:19]:
Let my membership in ARRL expire. Got and email today with a link to a
survey about renewal.

Took this opportunity to vent my frustration with ARRL and their refusal to
rein in Joe Taylor K1JT, and his roughshod behavior about taking over
segments of the band that historically by gentlemens agreement have been
used for PSK operations.  Pointed that they have done nothing to protect us,
are bowing down to the almighty Joe Taylor and for that reason, myself, and
many other PSK operators are not renewing or joining.

Doubt anything comes of it, but I feel a better.
Yeah, it would be nice if they would be more proactive in managing this
kind of thing. The main reason I supported them was because they are
our main lobby entity in DC, but this kind of thing is really turning
into a mess that didn't need to happen. If I wasn't a life member, I'd
probably consider letting it lapse, too.

The question I have though, is "who is the alternative to support?"

--
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

Jerry N9AVY

No one.

* Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> [2020-06-11 17:19]:

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

Leland Sly

I really don't get involved or understand all the politics of all of this.  All I know is that when I got started in ham radio I did a lot of PSK.  Then in 2017, I think, FT8 came out and most of the PSK activity went away.  A lot of the SSB and CW activity also went away.  It all switched over to FT8.  Like or not that has to be the most popular mode of operating right now.

I also think that is one of the reasons why I have done so well in the contests recently is that I really like to make a lot of PSK contacts and the only chance I get is with the 070 Club contests.

Thanks for keeping them going.  Greatly appreciated.

73

Lee N5SLY

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

1470 <boat.anchor@...>

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 03:19 PM, Jim K5SP wrote:

Let my membership in ARRL expire. Got and email today with a link to a survey about renewal.

Took this opportunity to vent my frustration with ARRL and their refusal to rein in Joe Taylor K1JT

Doubt anything comes of it, but I feel a better.

Jim K5SP

Jim

I am running newest WSJT-X
Title line reads:
WSJT-X v2.2.1 by K1JT, G4WJS, and K9AN

I guess this is not solely Joe anymore.

Cheers
Barry

Ken N6PCD

Hi Lee,

I am in the same boat. I LOVE the PSK modes, and used to work it almost exclusively. As you said, along came the JT and FT modes, and PSK went almost dead. Why? Because hams abandoned PSK for the FT modes due n large part to the horrible condx on HF.

I’m hoping that as condx improve, more folks will return to PSK. Field Day is on short final, and his would be a great opportunity for us to employ PSK.

Personally, I think it was a fundamental mistake to allow the FT modes to be used for Field Day. Remember, Field Day is supposed to be first and foremost a disaster preparedness and traffic handling exercise, not a contest. The FT-4 and FT-8 are anything BUT traffic passing modes.

End of rant. 😉
--
All the best,
Ken N6PCD

K8TOM

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 08:23 AM, Ken Campbell wrote:
Field Day is supposed to be first and foremost a disaster preparedness and traffic handling exercise.

Well, yes.  But ARRL as a membership organization has additional goals not directly related to those stated.  I imagine they would tend to go with whatever get the "numbers" up.

Tom
K8TOM
815

James Wilson

I agree that ft8 is a very poor mode to exchange data. Js8call is well designed cross between psk and ft8 and justifiably useful in exchanging data but few people use it.

I think psk and other digital modes will rebound when band conditions improve.  Given the choice between very qsos and ft8 many have chosen ft8.

73 K6wrj

On Jun 13, 2020, at 8:55 AM, K8TOM <tsingle@...> wrote:

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 08:23 AM, Ken Campbell wrote:
Field Day is supposed to be first and foremost a disaster preparedness and traffic handling exercise.

Well, yes.  But ARRL as a membership organization has additional goals not directly related to those stated.  I imagine they would tend to go with whatever get the "numbers" up.

Tom
K8TOM

A while back ARRL boasted that U.S. Hams numbered around 620,000... yet the ARRL membership sits at around 152,000 from what I've been able to gather from email & forums. Let's not forget that there are still a lot of Life Members as well who pay zero into membership coffers. Does ARRL really represent all hams ???

Jerry

On Saturday, June 13, 2020, 10:55:51 AM CDT, K8TOM <tsingle@...> wrote:

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 08:23 AM, Ken Campbell wrote:
Field Day is supposed to be first and foremost a disaster preparedness and traffic handling exercise.

Well, yes.  But ARRL as a membership organization has additional goals not directly related to those stated.  I imagine they would tend to go with whatever get the "numbers" up.

Tom
K8TOM
815

Ray Clements

Jerry

You are absolutely correct that ARRL does not represent all hams.
From what I understand about ARRL membership data:

1. Most ARRL members are older hams, many whom have been hams for many years.
2. Most ARRL members have higher class licenses: General, Advanced, Extra.
3. Most ARRL members tend to be more active than non-members, especially on the HF bands and using CW and digital modes.

Those who are not ARRL members tend to be young Technician class operators with a shack on the belt connecting through VHF FM repeaters.
These operators have made neither the monetary nor time commitment to amateur radio that most ARRL members have done.

This information came from a presentation made by ARRL Director Kermit Carlson during a presentation to the McHenry County (Illinois) Wireless Association, a club to which we both belong.

One of the primary objectives of ARRL is to attract newcomers to amateur radio and to attract these younger Technicians to become more involved, including becoming members of ARRL. That is why we see such initiatives as expanding the spectrum available to Technicians.

N9RWC