From: main@070Club.groups.io [mailto:main@070Club.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jerry N9AVY
Sent: Sunday, June 07, 2020 13:23
To: 070 Club
Subject: [070Club] Eqsl confirmations ?

Wondering how many of us bother to check if stations who send Eqsls are really stations we've worked or do we just blindly go ahead and respond with our Eqsl.

Have had a few I've rejected over the past few months... mostly from Europe. One station claimed he worked me 25 April .. wasn't even on the air that day. Think there are some who "think" they worked a station, but in reality the heard what they "thought" was the station working them , but the station was in QSO with a different station.

Guess I'll be checking Eqsl now closer than ever. Still prefer LoTW because it's nearly impossible for that sort of thing to happen. LoTW has been down here since 22 Jan 2020, but am working at getting it up and running again. Had to get a new certificate.

jerry n9avy

Eric KG6MZS

Jerry,

I’ve never been a big fan of eQSL but I have been rethinking that.

I decided to upload my log for the first time in a long time and I got a few emails telling me about some problems with my log. Sometimes my internal clock doesn’t correct for UT when my computer boots up. I usually spot this and correct it, but not always. A few people where kind enough t to notify me of this error and I went back and corrected two dozen or so bad entrees. Thanks to them some other QSOs got verified on LoTW.

Thanks to eQSL!

Another country heard from,
73 de Eric, KG6MZS

On Jun 7, 2020, at 1:23 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Wondering how many of us bother to check if stations who send Eqsls are really stations we've worked or do we just blindly go ahead and respond with our Eqsl.

Have had a few I've rejected over the past few months... mostly from Europe. One station claimed he worked me 25 April .. wasn't even on the air that day. Think there are some who "think" they worked a station, but in reality the heard what they "thought" was the station working them , but the station was in QSO with a different station.

Guess I'll be checking Eqsl now closer than ever. Still prefer LoTW because it's nearly impossible for that sort of thing to happen. LoTW has been down here since 22 Jan 2020, but am working at getting it up and running again. Had to get a new certificate.

jerry n9avy

Jerry N9AVY

Paula:

Same here, but I always otify the sender of rejection. Seems fair so he doesn't keep bugging me...

Jerry

On Sunday, June 7, 2020, 03:28:31 PM CDT, Paula K7PAX #1739 via groups.io <hamette@...> wrote:

Jerry,

I upload to eQSL from my logbook so matching QSOs are automatically confirmed. When I receive  QSLs that are unconfirmed, I check my log to see if there is a mismatch of time, mode, band, etc. and either make corrections, or notify the other party that their submission may have an error. Sometimes they are just flat not in my log, and they are deleted. You can choose whether or not to notify the sender when you take these actions.

Paula K7PAX 1739

Wondering how many of us bother to check if stations who send Eqsls are really stations we've worked or do we just blindly go ahead and respond with our Eqsl.

Have had a few I've rejected over the past few months... mostly from Europe.  One station claimed he worked me 25 April .. wasn't even on the air that day.  Think there are some who "think" they worked a station, but in reality the heard what they "thought" was the station working them , but the station was in QSO with a different station.

Guess I'll be checking Eqsl now closer than ever.  Still prefer LoTW because it's nearly impossible for that sort of thing to happen.  LoTW has been down here since 22 Jan 2020, but am working at getting it up and running again.  Had to get a new certificate.

jerry  n9avy

Dan Morris - KZ3T

I check ALL of my eQSL’s to make sure they are in the log on the date, time, band, mode, etc in question and if not then they are rejected.

I’ve had a few where they got the band or the mode wrong and I would send them an email, not giving any information but letting them know that it was incorrect to double check their log and most of the time they come back with the correct info.

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On Jun 7, 2020, at 4:23 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

Wondering how many of us bother to check if stations who send Eqsls are really stations we've worked or do we just blindly go ahead and respond with our Eqsl.

Have had a few I've rejected over the past few months... mostly from Europe.  One station claimed he worked me 25 April .. wasn't even on the air that day.   Think there are some who "think" they worked a station, but in reality the heard what they "thought" was the station working them , but the station was in QSO with a different station.

Guess I'll be checking Eqsl now closer than ever.  Still prefer LoTW because it's nearly impossible for that sort of thing to happen.   LoTW has been down here since 22 Jan 2020, but am working at getting it up and running again.  Had to get a new certificate.

jerry  n9avy

Stephen Melachrinos

I do the same. I upload to eQSL the original log. That provides matches for most of the incoming. And that don't match get researched to see if it's my error or theirs. Most of the errors are simple "wrong band" or "wrong mode." A few are simple "not in log"; some of these are days when I wasn't on the air (maybe a busted call) or a station that didn't realize I was working someone else.

The ones that bug me (as I think Jerry has pointed out) are the folks who get a new callsign and then upload their WHOLE log under the new account. I can't tell if maybe they've configured their logging software incorrectly to result in this. Those always get a "you weren't <new callsign> at the time so I can't confirm this QSO" reply.

[...]

Let's not forget those "special event stations" who were worked under their special event call and Eqsl'd under their home calls which they were only required to give out once an hour. That really bugged me and I had a few "go rounds" with those guys.

Was almost tempted to work them under my DX Call sign - UF0OL ! ha-ha !

Jerry n9avy