Dupes?

Eric KG6MZS

Hi All,

I’ve almost always searched and pounced in contests. This time I decided to do some calling and it was a bit of an eye-opener.

When I was seeking out stations and answering their CQs, I could control the exchange a bit better.

I haven’t been telling the answering stations when we are a dupe. Should I be doing that? And now that I have a certain number of dupes, do I submit them or cull them out before submitting my log?

I have no idea which one the other station will submit.

TIA
73 de Eric, KG6MZS

PS;

A plea to answering stations: when the calling station asks you to repeat something, please do it more than once!

I have repeat macros ready for repeating the requested info multiple times.

ac2fa@...

My opinion - work the dupe and move on. Leave it in your log.

73,
Bob
AC2FA

 Sent from my iPad

On May 31, 2020, at 11:45, Eric KG6MZS <eric@hollywoodtitle.com> wrote:

Hi All,

I’ve almost always searched and pounced in contests. This time I decided to do some calling and it was a bit of an eye-opener.

When I was seeking out stations and answering their CQs, I could control the exchange a bit better.

I haven’t been telling the answering stations when we are a dupe. Should I be doing that? And now that I have a certain number of dupes, do I submit them or cull them out before submitting my log?

I have no idea which one the other station will submit.

TIA
73 de Eric, KG6MZS

PS;

A plea to answering stations: when the calling station asks you to repeat something, please do it more than once!

I have repeat macros ready for repeating the requested info multiple times.

N9JCA Chris Matthews <chris.n9jca@...>

Eric

It's real easy with ACLog ( if you are using it )

1) Make sure all the info is filled in on your contacts

2) Click on File or Edit  ( Top left )

Look for Clear Duplicates

Click on it

All you're dupes should now be gone

Chris N9JCA

73

On May 31, 2020, at 11:45, Eric KG6MZS <eric@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I’ve almost always searched and pounced in contests.  This time I decided to do some calling and it was a bit of an eye-opener.

When I was seeking out stations and answering their CQs, I could control the exchange a bit better.

I haven’t been telling the answering stations when we are a dupe.  Should I be doing that?  And now that I have a certain number of dupes, do I submit them or cull them out before submitting my log?

I have no idea which one the other station will submit.

TIA
73 de Eric, KG6MZS

PS;

A plea to answering stations: when the calling station asks you to repeat something, please do it more than once!

I have repeat macros ready for repeating the requested info multiple times.

Jerry N9AVY

It might be polite to tell them they're a DUPE so their logs don't get messed up. Have had several "dupes" this weekend probably because they don't have a dupe checker or don't bother to use it. MixW has one but one has to pay attention to use it... plus I have a somewhat natural retention of calls for a few hours (hah !).

Had a couple who just understand what a "dupe" was... it's a duplicate contact on the same band. However, under poor band conditions that message probably didn't get through. "Worked before" doesn't seem to work either and ignoring them sometimes won't make them go away.

Eric, glad you brought this subject up. Perhaps it will help a few ?

Jerry n9avy

On Sunday, May 31, 2020, 10:44:53 AM CDT, Eric KG6MZS <eric@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I’ve almost always searched and pounced in contests.  This time I decided to do some calling and it was a bit of an eye-opener.

When I was seeking out stations and answering their CQs, I could control the exchange a bit better.

I haven’t been telling the answering stations when we are a dupe.  Should I be doing that?  And now that I have a certain number of dupes, do I submit them or cull them out before submitting my log?

I have no idea which one the other station will submit.

TIA
73 de Eric, KG6MZS

PS;

A plea to answering stations: when the calling station asks you to repeat something, please do it more than once!

I have repeat macros ready for repeating the requested info multiple times.

Jerry N9AVY

It may slow down your "rate", but I guess that doesn't mean much in a PSK31 contest. Hah !

Jerry n9avy

On Sunday, May 31, 2020, 10:48:46 AM CDT, ac2fa via groups.io <ac2fa@...> wrote:

My opinion - work the dupe and move on. Leave it in your log.

73,
Bob
AC2FA

 Sent from my iPad

> On May 31, 2020, at 11:45, Eric KG6MZS <eric@...> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I’ve almost always searched and pounced in contests.  This time I decided to do some calling and it was a bit of an eye-opener.
>
> When I was seeking out stations and answering their CQs, I could control the exchange a bit better.
>
> I haven’t been telling the answering stations when we are a dupe.  Should I be doing that?  And now that I have a certain number of dupes, do I submit them or cull them out before submitting my log?
>
> I have no idea which one the other station will submit.
>
> TIA
> 73 de Eric, KG6MZS
>
> PS;
>
> A plea to answering stations: when the calling station asks you to repeat something, please do it more than once!
>
> I have repeat macros ready for repeating the requested info multiple times.

Jerry N9AVY

In MixW , there's a small window just below log bar which tell you last date/band of contact. It's always there and no key strokes involved.

Jerry

On Sunday, May 31, 2020, 10:57:54 AM CDT, N9JCA Chris Matthews <chris.n9jca@...> wrote:

Eric

It's real easy with ACLog ( if you are using it )

1) Make sure all the info is filled in on your contacts

2) Click on File or Edit  ( Top left )

Look for Clear Duplicates

Click on it

All you're dupes should now be gone

Chris N9JCA

73

On 5/31/20 3:48 PM, ac2fa via groups.io wrote:
My opinion - work the dupe and move on. Leave it in your log.73,BobAC2FA Sent from my iPad
On May 31, 2020, at 11:45, Eric KG6MZS <eric@...> wrote:Hi All,I’ve almost always searched and pounced in contests.  This time I decided to do some calling and it was a bit of an eye-opener.When I was seeking out stations and answering their CQs, I could control the exchange a bit better.I haven’t been telling the answering stations when we are a dupe.  Should I be doing that?  And now that I have a certain number of dupes, do I submit them or cull them out before submitting my log?I have no idea which one the other station will submit.TIA73 de Eric, KG6MZSPS;A plea to answering stations: when the calling station asks you to repeat something, please do it more than once!I have repeat macros ready for repeating the requested info multiple times.

Stephen Melachrinos

I figure that a quick exchange takes about the same time as explaining he's a dupe. So (especially this time) I just did what Bob said: work the dupe and move on.

I also vote for leaving in the log. The checker will remove it. (Sorry David.) Technically, it IS a QSO--it's not like it didn't happen. It's just a QSO worth zero points in the contest.

I think I have six or seven in the log so far this weekend.

It may slow down your "rate", but I guess that doesn't mean much in a PSK31 contest. Hah !

Jerry n9avy
On Sunday, May 31, 2020, 10:48:46 AM CDT, ac2fa via groups.io <ac2fa@...> wrote:

My opinion - work the dupe and move on. Leave it in your log.

73,
Bob
AC2FA

 Sent from my iPad

> On May 31, 2020, at 11:45, Eric KG6MZS <eric@...> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I’ve almost always searched and pounced in contests.  This time I decided to do some calling and it was a bit of an eye-opener.
>
> When I was seeking out stations and answering their CQs, I could control the exchange a bit better.
>
> I haven’t been telling the answering stations when we are a dupe.  Should I be doing that?  And now that I have a certain number of dupes, do I submit them or cull them out before submitting my log?
>
> I have no idea which one the other station will submit.
>
> TIA
> 73 de Eric, KG6MZS
>
> PS;
>
> A plea to answering stations: when the calling station asks you to repeat something, please do it more than once!
>
> I have repeat macros ready for repeating the requested info multiple times.

Eric KG6MZS

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

I’m using HRD’s Logbook - not the best for contests, I know, but it’s OK.

I know how to delete one of the dupes - it’s pretty easy.  I was wondering if I *should* delete it before submission.  On the off chance that any contest official might cross-check logs, which one would the other party submit?

If it’s no great hardship on the checker (Thanks David), I think I’m inclined to take Bob’s (AC2FA) advice and just leave it.

I’ve never really had this problem before.

73 de Eric KG6MZS

Eric <radio@...>

I figure that a quick exchange takes about the same time as explaining he's a dupe. So (especially this time) I just did what Bob said: work the dupe and move on.

I also vote for leaving in the log. The checker will remove it. (Sorry David.) Technically, it IS a QSO--it's not like it didn't happen. It's just a QSO worth zero points in the contest.

I think I have six or seven in the log so far this weekend.

Thanks for the input Steve.  I wonder how much grief it actual causes the checker.  If it’s no big deal, then I agree with you.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

Eric <radio@...>

On May 31, 2020, at 8:57 AM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

It might be polite to tell them they're a DUPE so their logs don't get messed up.

Jerry,

I never took offense the few times that ops told me we were a dupe when I was starting out.

When I was a new ham II did have one guy yell at me on SSB “HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU THINK WE CAN WORK!?”

:)

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

Stephen Melachrinos

Eric -

070 doesn't do the formal cross-check of some of the other big contests, and delete QSOs if they're NIL in the other station's entry.

That said, the old contest checker did provide a NIL percentage for each entry. I was always embarrassed if I put a QSO in my log that the other station didn't count. Those typically weren't dupes, but I agree with your sentiment.

[...]

But the guy kept calling and calling .... and calling !

On Sunday, May 31, 2020, 11:08:04 AM CDT, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...> wrote:

I figure that a quick exchange takes about the same time as explaining he's a dupe. So (especially this time) I just did what Bob said: work the dupe and move on.

I also vote for leaving in the log. The checker will remove it. (Sorry David.) Technically, it IS a QSO--it's not like it didn't happen. It's just a QSO worth zero points in the contest.

I think I have six or seven in the log so far this weekend.

It may slow down your "rate", but I guess that doesn't mean much in a PSK31 contest. Hah !

Jerry n9avy
On Sunday, May 31, 2020, 10:48:46 AM CDT, ac2fa via groups.io <ac2fa@...> wrote:

My opinion - work the dupe and move on. Leave it in your log.

73,
Bob
AC2FA

 Sent from my iPad

> On May 31, 2020, at 11:45, Eric KG6MZS <eric@...> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I’ve almost always searched and pounced in contests.  This time I decided to do some calling and it was a bit of an eye-opener.
>
> When I was seeking out stations and answering their CQs, I could control the exchange a bit better.
>
> I haven’t been telling the answering stations when we are a dupe.  Should I be doing that?  And now that I have a certain number of dupes, do I submit them or cull them out before submitting my log?
>
> I have no idea which one the other station will submit.
>
> TIA
> 73 de Eric, KG6MZS
>
> PS;
>
> A plea to answering stations: when the calling station asks you to repeat something, please do it more than once!
>
> I have repeat macros ready for repeating the requested info multiple times.

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Trouble is if you work the person and have it in your log and then delete because it is a duplicate, what will you do if/when he sends you a QSL card or eQSL or LoTW?  I keep ALL stations worked no matter what and some stations I have worked at least 20 times or so over the years.

Best just to keep them. Doesn’t hurt anything.  This is just MHO.

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On May 31, 2020, at 11:57 AM, N9JCA Chris Matthews <chris.n9jca@...> wrote:

[...]

Had a guy send me 2 Eqsls for QSOs , but he used his old call which I didn't recognize. They were rejected by me. Later I went to QRZ and checked his call sign (current one) and it also listed his former calls.
Sent off an email to him and he resubmitted Eqsls with current call sign. Think I may have been a legitimate oops and he forgot to change his call with Eqsl. It happens.

Jerry

N4BC was K4THX

On Sunday, May 31, 2020, 02:56:43 PM CDT, Dan Morris - KZ3T <dbmorris315@...> wrote:

[...]

My experience with that is that many ops don't realize that uploading their log to eQSL results in eQSLs sent to everyone in the log. And although they would never send out paper QSL cards with the new call to old QSOs, they forget that's what is happening. I'm sure it's an oops, but eQSL has instructions on how to handle a callsign change, and (more importantly), how NOT to handle a callsign change.

Maybe your guy had just joined eQSL and forgot which account he was in when uploading. It's kind of the inverse of the situation I see a lot.

[...]

David, K9DWR

* Eric <radio@hollywoodtitle.com> [2020-05-31 09:34]:

I wonder how much grief it actual causes the checker.
None at all. I have code to throw out dupes; they will get flagged as "dupe"
and get listed in the errors portion of the output I send out.

--
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

Eric <radio@...>

Thanks David, good. That’s easy for everyone.

Eric, KG6MZS

#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

David, K9DWR

* Eric KG6MZS <eric@hollywoodtitle.com> [2020-05-31 09:31]:

I know how to delete one of the dupes - it’s pretty easy. I was wondering if
I *should* delete it before submission. On the off chance that any contest
official might cross-check logs, which one would the other party submit?

If it’s no great hardship on the checker (Thanks David), I think I’m inclined
to take Bob’s (AC2FA) advice and just leave it.
The current round of coding does not do any check logging. Whatever is in the
log is what will get scored. I do have plans to extend the checking to find
the log matches, but that's later on down the roadmap. The first order of
business is being able to score it at all. ;-)

--
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com