KD9DVB


Jerry N9AVY
 

Copied you on 80m , did you copy me ???

Jerry n9avy


Chuck M
 

no did not get your signal trying again now


On Saturday, May 30, 2020, 10:13:03 PM EDT, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:


Copied you on 80m ,  did you copy me  ???

Jerry  n9avy




Stephen Melachrinos
 

Yes. It was rough--a lot of QRN here--but got it.

Thanks.

W3HF


-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
To: 070 Club <070club@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, May 31, 2020 2:12 am
Subject: [070Club] KD9DVB

Copied you on 80m ,  did you copy me  ???

Jerry  n9avy




Stephen Melachrinos
 

Sorry, thought that was for me and our rough QSO.

Steve


-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...>
To: main@070Club.groups.io <main@070Club.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, May 31, 2020 2:23 am
Subject: Re: [070Club] KD9DVB

Yes. It was rough--a lot of QRN here--but got it.

Thanks.

W3HF


-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
To: 070 Club <070club@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, May 31, 2020 2:12 am
Subject: [070Club] KD9DVB

Copied you on 80m ,  did you copy me  ???

Jerry  n9avy




Jerry N9AVY
 

Chuck: You made it in log at 0214 UTC (GMT) on 80m !!! THank you !!!


Jerry n9avy

On Saturday, May 30, 2020, 09:15:01 PM CDT, Chuck M via groups.io <cam51mail@...> wrote:


no did not get your signal trying again now


On Saturday, May 30, 2020, 10:13:03 PM EDT, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:


Copied you on 80m ,  did you copy me  ???

Jerry  n9avy




Jerry N9AVY
 

Steve:

You need to run a bit more power, hi, hi !! It was rough but we made QSO.

Thanks for heads up on Jay - worked him twice !

Jerry n9avy

On Saturday, May 30, 2020, 09:27:16 PM CDT, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...> wrote:


Sorry, thought that was for me and our rough QSO.

Steve


-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...>
To: main@070Club.groups.io <main@070Club.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, May 31, 2020 2:23 am
Subject: Re: [070Club] KD9DVB

Yes. It was rough--a lot of QRN here--but got it.

Thanks.

W3HF


-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
To: 070 Club <070club@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, May 31, 2020 2:12 am
Subject: [070Club] KD9DVB

Copied you on 80m ,  did you copy me  ???

Jerry  n9avy




Chuck M
 

My little CS-108G struggles to put out 10 watts on most bands without going into ALC issues, red dashes on the screen.  On 80M it's pushing out 15 to 20 without a problem.  Using MFJ-874 to measure output vs what it shows on the radio's display.

Wasn't having much luck with my vertical, so switched to horizontal dipole for 80M.   Seems to be doing a little better.

Thanks for the contacts.  Over 90 now. Happy with that as my first TDW contest.  Hopefully get over 100 before it ends tomorrow night.

73s
Chuck
KD9DVB

On Saturday, May 30, 2020, 10:24:02 PM EDT, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...> wrote:


Yes. It was rough--a lot of QRN here--but got it.

Thanks.

W3HF


-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
To: 070 Club <070club@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, May 31, 2020 2:12 am
Subject: [070Club] KD9DVB

Copied you on 80m ,  did you copy me  ???

Jerry  n9avy




Stephen Melachrinos
 

Well I started on QRP, with a three-watt PSK20.

Then I "graduated" to five watts with the FT817.

Now I typically run 25 watts, especially in 070 contests. That puts me in the Low Power category, not trying to compete with you big guys!

:-)

Steve
W3HF


-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Sun, May 31, 2020 2:28 am
Subject: Re: [070Club] KD9DVB

Steve:

You need to run a bit more power, hi, hi !! It was rough but we made QSO.

Thanks for heads up on Jay - worked him twice !

Jerry n9avy
On Saturday, May 30, 2020, 09:27:16 PM CDT, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...> wrote:


Sorry, thought that was for me and our rough QSO.

Steve


-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...>
To: main@070Club.groups.io <main@070Club.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, May 31, 2020 2:23 am
Subject: Re: [070Club] KD9DVB

Yes. It was rough--a lot of QRN here--but got it.

Thanks.

W3HF


-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
To: 070 Club <070club@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, May 31, 2020 2:12 am
Subject: [070Club] KD9DVB

Copied you on 80m ,  did you copy me  ???

Jerry  n9avy




Jerry N9AVY
 

Chuck:

If you have a "tuner" the 80m dipole should load up just fine on 40m... might also work on 15 m and other bands. Not sure what vertical you're using but tonight I was on my Butternut HF-6V vertical because the dual sloper wouldn't load up on 80m. Put some radials under vertical it may help.

73, Jerry n9avy

On Saturday, May 30, 2020, 09:32:52 PM CDT, Chuck M via groups.io <cam51mail@...> wrote:


My little CS-108G struggles to put out 10 watts on most bands without going into ALC issues, red dashes on the screen.  On 80M it's pushing out 15 to 20 without a problem.  Using MFJ-874 to measure output vs what it shows on the radio's display.

Wasn't having much luck with my vertical, so switched to horizontal dipole for 80M.   Seems to be doing a little better.

Thanks for the contacts.  Over 90 now. Happy with that as my first TDW contest.  Hopefully get over 100 before it ends tomorrow night.

73s
Chuck
KD9DVB

On Saturday, May 30, 2020, 10:24:02 PM EDT, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...> wrote:


Yes. It was rough--a lot of QRN here--but got it.

Thanks.

W3HF


-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
To: 070 Club <070club@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, May 31, 2020 2:12 am
Subject: [070Club] KD9DVB

Copied you on 80m ,  did you copy me  ???

Jerry  n9avy




Jim K5SP
 

Well, I have to compete with you, and its tough with my low power and wire. 

Everyone wants Steve.

Jim K5SP 



Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S10e, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone


-------- Original message --------
From: "Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io" <melachri@...>
Date: 5/30/20 9:35 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] KD9DVB

Well I started on QRP, with a three-watt PSK20.

Then I "graduated" to five watts with the FT817.

Now I typically run 25 watts, especially in 070 contests. That puts me in the Low Power category, not trying to compete with you big guys!

:-)

Steve
W3HF


-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Sun, May 31, 2020 2:28 am
Subject: Re: [070Club] KD9DVB

Steve:

You need to run a bit more power, hi, hi !! It was rough but we made QSO.

Thanks for heads up on Jay - worked him twice !

Jerry n9avy
On Saturday, May 30, 2020, 09:27:16 PM CDT, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...> wrote:


Sorry, thought that was for me and our rough QSO.

Steve


-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...>
To: main@070Club.groups.io <main@070Club.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, May 31, 2020 2:23 am
Subject: Re: [070Club] KD9DVB

Yes. It was rough--a lot of QRN here--but got it.

Thanks.

W3HF


-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
To: 070 Club <070club@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, May 31, 2020 2:12 am
Subject: [070Club] KD9DVB

Copied you on 80m ,  did you copy me  ???

Jerry  n9avy




--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Executive Director/Member Services Director


Chuck M
 

Vertical is Gap Challenger DX-VIII, eight band unit.  No tuner needed on several of the bands, on 80 it's a very narrow section.  Dipole is multi-band Alpha-Delta DX-CC.  Have home built patch panel to switch the 2 antennas with this radio and a Kenwood 440.

Have a LDG-Z-100 Plus tuner working with my low power rig.  Switch it into or out of path as needed.  Check the SWR on a close frequency, then decide how to run it.

Just started running psk31 first time at WFD back in January.  Enjoyed it and been doing more of it.  The TDW has been fun, little learning curve at first to get macros set up after watching some exchanges.  But going well.

73s
Chuck
KD9DVB


On Saturday, May 30, 2020, 10:38:04 PM EDT, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:


Chuck:

If you have a "tuner" the 80m dipole should load up just fine on 40m... might also work on 15 m and other bands. Not sure what vertical you're using but tonight I was on my Butternut HF-6V vertical because the dual sloper wouldn't load up on 80m. Put some radials under vertical it may help.

73, Jerry n9avy
On Saturday, May 30, 2020, 09:32:52 PM CDT, Chuck M via groups.io <cam51mail@...> wrote:


My little CS-108G struggles to put out 10 watts on most bands without going into ALC issues, red dashes on the screen.  On 80M it's pushing out 15 to 20 without a problem.  Using MFJ-874 to measure output vs what it shows on the radio's display.

Wasn't having much luck with my vertical, so switched to horizontal dipole for 80M.   Seems to be doing a little better.

Thanks for the contacts.  Over 90 now. Happy with that as my first TDW contest.  Hopefully get over 100 before it ends tomorrow night.

73s
Chuck
KD9DVB

On Saturday, May 30, 2020, 10:24:02 PM EDT, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...> wrote:


Yes. It was rough--a lot of QRN here--but got it.

Thanks.

W3HF


-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
To: 070 Club <070club@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, May 31, 2020 2:12 am
Subject: [070Club] KD9DVB

Copied you on 80m ,  did you copy me  ???

Jerry  n9avy




Jerry N9AVY
 

Steve:

Typically you're doing a lot better than in past when I struggled to pull you out of noise - my ears thank you !

This was an interesting contest with many non-members worked. When I was quite a few contacts into test, I had hit a wrong key and everything disappeared on screen. Was able to reset it, but since I don't use rig control, everything was on 20m even the 40m contacts !
Fortunately , I run a paper log to keep track ... a lot of extra work (I'm an Extra ; so I don't mind, hi !) and it saved a bunch of QSOs that would have been lost.

Things went pretty well until today when my mouse went belly up (fun) and I had to search for another one which I found fairly fast. Reinstalled it and then it was intermittent, but after reloading 4 or 5 tried it was happy. Think it may have been an RFI problem on 15m. Isn't contesting fun ???

Multitasked my way through test what with mowing lawn (only because neighbors did theirs and I have to keep up with them, hi !). Also kept updating Eqsls because I didn't want to face a gazillion on Monday morning. In spare time I loaded logs into N3FJPs ACLog and used QRZ to check for possible grids. Whew ! Grabbed a couple naps in between all that as I was exhausted ... may be meds doing that.

Felt I had a very productive weekend so far. Sunday , 31st, will be the culmination of all my efforts and by 0100 utc Monday I'll be making like Rip Van Winkle ....

73 Jerry

On Saturday, May 30, 2020, 09:36:04 PM CDT, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...> wrote:


Well I started on QRP, with a three-watt PSK20.

Then I "graduated" to five watts with the FT817.

Now I typically run 25 watts, especially in 070 contests. That puts me in the Low Power category, not trying to compete with you big guys!

:-)

Steve
W3HF


-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Sun, May 31, 2020 2:28 am
Subject: Re: [070Club] KD9DVB

Steve:

You need to run a bit more power, hi, hi !! It was rough but we made QSO.

Thanks for heads up on Jay - worked him twice !

Jerry n9avy
On Saturday, May 30, 2020, 09:27:16 PM CDT, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...> wrote:


Sorry, thought that was for me and our rough QSO.

Steve


-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...>
To: main@070Club.groups.io <main@070Club.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, May 31, 2020 2:23 am
Subject: Re: [070Club] KD9DVB

Yes. It was rough--a lot of QRN here--but got it.

Thanks.

W3HF


-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
To: 070 Club <070club@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, May 31, 2020 2:12 am
Subject: [070Club] KD9DVB

Copied you on 80m ,  did you copy me  ???

Jerry  n9avy




Jerry N9AVY
 

Verticals are notorious for being narrow banded - usually about only 25 kHz or so. My FT-1000 MP has an autotuner which helps a bit, but only matches rig to load seen at coax plug. THe 440 should work well with your antennas. I just never found you on other bands, but I believe that was due to propagation because I saw others working you.

I been working on learning curve around 42 years and I keep on learning. AS I get older I forget a lot of stuff I learned, but it does come back to memory in time. Keep learning, it's fun.

WFD is something that might be okay where there's no cold & snow. Used have a cousin who was a big DXer and he said he only go to rare DX spots if they had a Holiday Inn !

73, Jerry n9avy

On Saturday, May 30, 2020, 09:50:14 PM CDT, Chuck M via groups.io <cam51mail@...> wrote:


Vertical is Gap Challenger DX-VIII, eight band unit.  No tuner needed on several of the bands, on 80 it's a very narrow section.  Dipole is multi-band Alpha-Delta DX-CC.  Have home built patch panel to switch the 2 antennas with this radio and a Kenwood 440.

Have a LDG-Z-100 Plus tuner working with my low power rig.  Switch it into or out of path as needed.  Check the SWR on a close frequency, then decide how to run it.

Just started running psk31 first time at WFD back in January.  Enjoyed it and been doing more of it.  The TDW has been fun, little learning curve at first to get macros set up after watching some exchanges.  But going well.

73s
Chuck
KD9DVB


On Saturday, May 30, 2020, 10:38:04 PM EDT, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:


Chuck:

If you have a "tuner" the 80m dipole should load up just fine on 40m... might also work on 15 m and other bands. Not sure what vertical you're using but tonight I was on my Butternut HF-6V vertical because the dual sloper wouldn't load up on 80m. Put some radials under vertical it may help.

73, Jerry n9avy
On Saturday, May 30, 2020, 09:32:52 PM CDT, Chuck M via groups.io <cam51mail@...> wrote:


My little CS-108G struggles to put out 10 watts on most bands without going into ALC issues, red dashes on the screen.  On 80M it's pushing out 15 to 20 without a problem.  Using MFJ-874 to measure output vs what it shows on the radio's display.

Wasn't having much luck with my vertical, so switched to horizontal dipole for 80M.   Seems to be doing a little better.

Thanks for the contacts.  Over 90 now. Happy with that as my first TDW contest.  Hopefully get over 100 before it ends tomorrow night.

73s
Chuck
KD9DVB

On Saturday, May 30, 2020, 10:24:02 PM EDT, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...> wrote:


Yes. It was rough--a lot of QRN here--but got it.

Thanks.

W3HF


-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
To: 070 Club <070club@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, May 31, 2020 2:12 am
Subject: [070Club] KD9DVB

Copied you on 80m ,  did you copy me  ???

Jerry  n9avy