Bill

Perhaps the Olivia crowd will keep them out as they now suggest around 14.073 and lower. Something's gotta give and I would think above 14.080 on 20 but that is hallowed RTTY ground that is almost never used.

73 Buddy WB4M

On 5/25/2020 11:41 PM, Bill-N7RI wrote:
It looks like the folks at WSJT are out for the PSK world.  It's not looking good for our long standing frequencies.  Had the following pop up on a QRZ Facebook feed:

https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/Release_Notes.txt

Looks like they are adding 14.071, 10.133, & 7.071 as secondary frequencies for FT8.

73
Bill
N7RI  070-1191

Jerry N9AVY

So are you saying that FT-8 operators are creeps ???

The FT-8 expansion has got to stop ! They are becoming a nuisance. Perhaps we need to drive them off our little slice of spectrum ?

On Monday, May 25, 2020, 10:41:55 PM CDT, Bill-N7RI <n7ri.wy@...> wrote:

It looks like the folks at WSJT are out for the PSK world.  It's not looking good for our long standing frequencies.  Had the following pop up on a QRZ Facebook feed:

https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/Release_Notes.txt

Looks like they are adding 14.071, 10.133, & 7.071 as secondary frequencies for FT8.

73
Bill
N7RI  070-1191

Steve McEdwards

It would also appear that on the wsjtx group when some people tried to object to this decision that the ft8 people made about adding these new frequencies, the moderator closed the discussion about it and refused to allow people to speak.
That alone says alot about how they don't care about other modes and uses only their Ft8.

Steve
VA3TPS

Doug N4AHO

The fact that nobody owns any slice of the spectrum is not a license for aggressive people to deliberately push others out. This really is disturbing. What is wrong with Joe Taylor? Was he the class bully in 3rd grade?

Will PSK signals successfully QRM the FT-8 noise? If they come to .070 - .072, that's what they will get. Their liberty ends where my nose begins.

Jerry N9AVY

There needs to be "band plans" on the FT-8 operators will run out of control. They remind me of CBers back in 70s and 80s. Damn everyone else and full speed ahead. Joe Taylor started this whole thing when he assigned to 18.100 to FT-8, apparently without consulting anyone. Big mistake .

On Tuesday, May 26, 2020, 08:40:43 AM CDT, Doug N4AHO <drpatt@...> wrote:

The fact that nobody owns any slice of the spectrum is not a license for aggressive people to deliberately push others out. This really is disturbing. What is wrong with Joe Taylor? Was he the class bully in 3rd grade?

Will PSK signals successfully QRM the FT-8 noise? If they come to .070 - .072, that's what they will get. Their liberty ends where my nose begins.

Steve VA3FLF/KM4FLF

I am not trying to stir the pot here but someone tried again today to discuss encroachment and here is the thread from WSJTX group. I think all of us need to contact ARRL again and keep hammering this issue. I will also hit RAC again as well. I know they are aware of this but I really think...hate to say it, just because this mode is from DR JOE TAYLOR he seems to get free reign. It doesn't seem right to me that you just drop a frequency in a software program and suddenly its yours for the keeping. Anyway, squeaky wheel gets the oil. All we can do is keep screaming. Thanks guys.

Steve
VA3FLF / KM4FLF
2301

-----------------------------------

here has been several trying to voice their opinion about the new frequencies of FT8.
The moderators are not allowing these opinions be heard on this webpage. No reason to squeeze the PSK or wide mode frequencies when they can go up in frequency say .076

 Like

 groups@...
4:28am

On 26/05/2020 08:31, Pat via groups.io wrote:
There has been several trying to voice their opinion about the new frequencies of FT8.
The moderators are not allowing these opinions be heard on this webpage. No reason to squeeze the PSK or wide mode frequencies when they can go up in frequency say .076
The moderators know that licencing, band plan, and certain other matters can quickly degenerate beyond reasonable discussion so we have to be quick to react.

Roger, G4HZA

 Like

 neil_zampella
9:12am

I beg to differ.

I'm seeing a few people posting their thoughts, both here and on the dev reflector.   Here's what Joe Taylor said in reply to one person;

“Hi (redacted),
Thanks for sharing your concerns about band plans. Of course we are aware that almost any newly suggested frequency may step on some toes. As stated in the Release Notes, our currently selected trial frequencies follow guidelines being considered by IARU, ARRL, and other amateur radio societies. Some eventual reorganization may need to take place... Or perhaps not. We shall see.
We try to follow world-wide community wishes, not to dictate them.
-- 73, Joe, K1JT”

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 5/26/2020 3:31 AM, Pat via groups.io wrote:
There has been several trying to voice their opinion about the new frequencies of FT8.
The moderators are not allowing these opinions be heard on this webpage. No reason to squeeze the PSK or wide mode frequencies when they can go up in frequency say .076

malcolm heard

When I did a stint in government and worked with legislators one told me he would vote on a bill based on which stack of letters was highest.  I also set a professional group loose on the governors office and flooded his office with calls. They won.  A coordinated email barrage from members to the highest person possible In arrl is a thought.  Distribute an email to members and tell to send from their address. Couple thousand would get noticed.  😀

Malcolm Ke0jbt

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 11:26 AM Steve R via groups.io <oldjavadrinker=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

4:28am   #10625

On 26/05/2020 08:31, Pat via groups.io wrote:
There has been several trying to voice their opinion about the new frequencies of FT8.
The moderators are not allowing these opinions be heard on this webpage. No reason to squeeze the PSK or wide mode frequencies when they can go up in frequency say .076
The moderators know that licencing, band plan, and certain other matters can quickly degenerate beyond reasonable discussion so we have to be quick to react.

Roger, G4HZA

 Like

 neil_zampella
9:12am   #10647

--

Malcolm Heard, M.S.
7516 South 37th Street

Leadership • Culture • Talent

Jerry N9AVY

Steve:

After many years of working with ARRL, I doubt that they will pay much attention because the FT8 guys are a big source of revenue (memberships, awards, LoTW, and their own program to make FT modes
more popular). ARRL hasn't been listening to hams for years and it has shown in decreasing membership.

I dropped ARRL a few years back over a few issues, but came back this year just to see if anything changed. I served a few years as an OO and 16 years working at the incoming bureau.

I digress, but the issue is whether ARRL will do anything about the FT8 encroachment upon other frequencies ? It's very doubtful. The squeaky gears will get the grease and there are more FT8 operators than
other digital modes ; so the outcome is very predictable at this point.

Jerry

On Tuesday, May 26, 2020, 11:26:03 AM CDT, Steve R via groups.io <oldjavadrinker@...> wrote:

[...]

Hate to be a pessimist , but sadly you are probably right.

Steve

On May 26, 2020, at 13:36, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

[...]

F.R. Ashley

Wait until Tech's get privileges and can run FT8.  Over 300,000 mare FT8 users,  It ain't gonna be pretty, lol

73 Buddy WB4M

On 5/26/2020 09:47 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
There needs to be "band plans" on the FT-8 operators will run out of control. They remind me of CBers back in 70s and 80s. Damn everyone else and full speed ahead. Joe Taylor started this whole thing when he assigned to 18.100 to FT-8, apparently without consulting anyone. Big mistake .
On Tuesday, May 26, 2020, 08:40:43 AM CDT, Doug N4AHO <drpatt@...> wrote:

The fact that nobody owns any slice of the spectrum is not a license for aggressive people to deliberately push others out. This really is disturbing. What is wrong with Joe Taylor? Was he the class bully in 3rd grade?

Will PSK signals successfully QRM the FT-8 noise? If they come to .070 - .072, that's what they will get. Their liberty ends where my nose begins.

Dan Morris - KZ3T

That is true Jerry, however, based on what you have said then if we don’t do anything then nothing will happen.  One never knows if there are enough people who send in emails and really complain.  But if we sit back and do nothing just because there may be more FT8 operators than other modes, guess what, they will take over anyway!!

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On May 26, 2020, at 1:34 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

[...]

N9JCA Chris Matthews <chris.n9jca@...>

I have tried on several occasions to contact the F.C.C.

and complain about the users on FT8 Modes

So far it's fallen on deaf ears

JT65 and JT9 Modes have fallen by the wayside, because of this very

thing. Not only does FT8 operate in their portions but have hijacked everything else

within 2 Kc's, carrying like they own the frequency; excess power etc

I hope that eventually thing will get back to normal again, but seriously doubt it

Chris N9JCA

73

On 5/26/20 4:34 PM, malcolm heard wrote:
[...]

There has been several trying to voice their opinion about the new frequencies of FT8. The moderators are not allowing these opinions be heard on this webpage. No reason to squeeze the PSK or wide mode frequencies when they can go up in frequency say .076
[...]

Chris:

Unfortunately, they are operating within the FCC Part 97 rules as far as FCC is concerned. Before any complaint is made to FCC a check against Part 97 should be made to see if it is illegal operation or not. Learned this
as an Official Observer for a few years. As long as they stay in the spectrum where digital operation is okay they are legal , but not welcome.

Your complaint would be better directed to ARRL which created the "band plans" which are not law, but merely "gentlemen's agreements" or guidelines meant to put some order into chaos. Unfortunately these band
plans are not worldwide. As the propagation improves the next few years problems will only get worse. Perhaps the best we can hope for is that many FT8 operators will eventually get so bored they'll go elsewhere
to different modes .

PSK31 is just another digital mode which is trying to hang on to the little chunks of spectrum they enjoy. We pass along info and ragchew and do far more than FT8 operators. That is the draw to PSK.

Jerry N9AVY

On Tuesday, May 26, 2020, 09:43:56 PM CDT, N9JCA Chris Matthews <chris.n9jca@...> wrote:

[...]

Ken N6PCD

14.080 is also a suggested FT4 frequency.
--
All the best,
Ken N6PCD

Jerry N9AVY

It's also an RTTY frequency.

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 09:16:27 AM CDT, Ken Campbell <n6pcd1@...> wrote:

14.080 is also a suggested FT4 frequency.
--
All the best,
Ken N6PCD

Phil Van Huis

Hello;

Who would be the best person at ARRL to send an e-mail to regarding the FT-8 Creep ?  I think that if one key person at ARRL were to be bombarded with e-mails that the message might get through.

Phil

K8PVH

[...]

I sent one to the the HQ Regulatory office and this is what I got back.

Hi John

As this really is a policy question I am forwarding it to your ARRL Division Director.  The HQ regulatory office is not involved with the band-planning function components of the League.

73

Dan Henderson, N1ND
Regulatory Information Manager
ARRL - the national association for Amateur Radio
Phone: 860-594-0236

Jerry is probably right, nothing will happen but think a bunch of emails is still a good idea

KB1NAL

Hello Guys,

   I've been following this thread, because of my concern with these ignorant irresponsible disrespectful FT8 operators, who think they can operate anywhere in the digital hf bands.   In my opinion, I would flood Dan and Steve 's email boxes with your concerns, since these guys are paid employees for the League.  You can even call them direct to speak your concerns, so things do not get misinterpreted via email.  Here is a copy off the League's website regarding the Regulatory Group.  Tell them you want this researched thoroughly and you'd like to get some resolution within a week.

The ARRL Regulatory Information Branch is responsible for interpretations of Amateur Radio regulatory issues. These include:

  • Concerns about FCC rules and regulations,
  • Applications for a new or renewed amateur licenses,
  • Changes of address
  • Vanity call sign applications and operations overseas

RIB staff maintain and administer:

Answers to most of your regulatory concerns can be found on these pages or you may contact us for additional information.

Additonal Resources

The ARRL recommends the following publications on regulatory topics:

  • Antenna Zoning for the Radio Amateur by Fred Hopengarten
    Everything you and your attorney need to know to obtain a permit for your antenna support system.

Contact Us -- ARRL HQ Regulatory Staff

Dan Henderson, N1ND

Tel: 860-594-0236
E-mail: reginfo@...
Fax: 860-594-0259

Administrator, ARRL Volunteer Counsel and Volunteer Consulting Engineer Programs.

Duties include:

  • General regulatory questions
  • RFI regulatory information
  • Antenna restrictions
  • International operating

Steve Ewald, WV1X

Tel: 860-594-0265
E-mail: wv1x@...

Field and Regulatory Correspondent, Coordinator: Amateur Auxiliary to the FCC, Administrator: ARRL Monitoring System

Duties Include:

  • Handling of matters with an existing or potential enforcement issue
  • Spectrum management (band sharing, frequency coordination information, etc)
  • Backup of general regulatory inquiries

Note:

Amateurs occasionally ask for ARRL General Counsel to assist with a problem or question. Please note that ARRL's counsels are not employees of the ARRL but are retained to provide services to the ARRL Board and are not available to provide legal advice to ARRRL members. Questions requiring a legal opinion can be asked of an ARRL Volunteer Counsel in your area.

Good Luck!   Something has got to be done about these FT8 jackasses taking over HF digital frequencies.

V/R,

  Lee KB1NAL

Dan Morris - KZ3T

I just sent an email to the Regulatory Office as well. He may not like what I said, however, it is all true and I told them that unless someone with some kind of authority reigns in Joe Taylor and his arbitrarily assigning FT8 frequencies it is going to get pretty messy.  So, we’ll see what happens

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!