Move to GROUPS.IO vs Yahoo Groups

Matthew King - AK4MK

OK - it's official... YAHOO GROUPS SUCKS! It continues to fail us (and MANY others!) time and time again.

I want to move both of our groups to GROUPS.IO. I'm looking for anybody with firsthand knowledge of why that would be a bad idea, if there is anybody out there with such knowledge. In all the research I've done, it seems like a positive thing, and basically like a no-brainer to move there.  Here's why:

- No special log-in required, i.e. a Yahoo Group ID/account. It's just your email address, not a whole different entity.
- The groups will transition over to groups.io lock, stock, and barrel, with all information and settings intact.
- Message posting time is in the seconds, not many minutes/hours/days/weeks category that Yahoo seems to operate in here of late.
- We should be able to integrate our Facebook page (did y'all know we have one?), Google Drive, and email.
- NO ADS! NO TRACKING!
- Excellent message threading/searching
- We'd still have a calendar, polls, a database, a photo section, a file section, and we can add a WIKI. That'd be a great home for a FAQ type of arrangement, and for more information on our contests and such.

In my mind, unless there's an overwhelming level of negative responses to this email with concrete "bad stuff" about groups.io, we'll be moving there soon, just everyone knows the "mindset of the executive director" on this issue.

Please, I'm looking for feedback from anybody, anywhere.

73, y'all!

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

Fr Richard R

Go for it!

Fr Richard
WB8YXF
2328

On Friday, December 1, 2017, 2:59:26 PM EST, Matthew King - KK4CPS mrk.twg@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Charles Odom <ki4vmk@...>

Go for it

KI4VMK
# 2542  🇺🇸

On Dec 1, 2017, at 1:59 PM, "Matthew King - KK4CPS mrk.twg@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Randy True

RRR

Randy W4RTT

[...]

Stephen Melachrinos

Matt -

Just a comment to clarify. You stated "No special log-in required, i.e. a Yahoo Group ID/account. It's just your email address, not a whole different entity."

Groups.io DOES require a login--it's just that you are asked to use a separate email address. But if your email address changes, your groups.io login will not automatically change, so this really is a "special log-in." And you do have to select a password. And Yahoo now DOES let you use your non-Yahoo email address as a login. So this "advantage" really isn't any different than Yahoo.

Note that I am not suggesting that the shift to groups.io is wrong, but I want everyone to know that they actually WILL have another login to remember.

Matthew King - AK4MK

Fair enough, Steve. I thought Yahoo still required you to have a Yahoo email address (most likely in addition to whatever "real" email address one uses) in order to use Yahoo Groups. Didn't know they'd changed that.

Sure, if you change your email address, groups.io won't magically know that, and you'll have to update it just like anywhere else you'd want to use said new email address.

At least here, if you are using your "standard" email address on Yahoo Groups, it'll transfer over to groups.io and not require a "groups.io" specific email.

Thanks for the clarification!

73

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 3:08 PM, Stephen Melachrinos melachri@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Matt -

Just a comment to clarify. You stated "No special log-in required, i.e. a Yahoo Group ID/account. It's just your email address, not a whole different entity."

Groups.io DOES require a login--it's just that you are asked to use a separate email address. But if your email address changes, your groups.io login will not automatically change, so this really is a "special log-in." And you do have to select a password. And Yahoo now DOES let you use your non-Yahoo email address as a login. So this "advantage" really isn't any different than Yahoo.

Note that I am not suggesting that the shift to groups.io is wrong, but I want everyone to know that they actually WILL have another login to remember.

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

I believe if people are ported over directly from the Yahoo Group, they do not need to create a login – their email address will be added directly.  At least that seems to be what happened with another of my groups that ported over last week.

Not sure how it would impact people if they change their email address.

I’m very happy with Groups.io.  Let’s do it.

Mike

WM4B

Just a comment to clarify. You stated "No special log-in required, i.e. a Yahoo Group ID/account. It's just your email address, not a whole different entity."

Groups.io DOES require a login--it's just that you are asked to use a separate email address. But if your email address changes, your groups.io login will not automatically change, so this really is a "special log-in." And you do have to select a password. And Yahoo now DOES let you use your non-Yahoo email address as a login. So this "advantage" really isn't any different than Yahoo.

Note that I am not suggesting that the shift to groups.io is wrong, but I want everyone to know that they actually WILL have another login to remember.

WB5NHL

Go for it    hamapps, linuxham and airspy are now all on Groups.io    our local ham club  North Augusta Belvedere Radio Club are all now on Groups.io     not a single bit of spam   great site

--
Dave, WB5NHL
@dkjellqu

Stephen Melachrinos

Matt -

And a followup, for those investigating how the "smooth transition" works from Yahoo to groups.io.

I actually do have a Yahoo ID, but I have four separate email addresses tied to it. I have the group emails sent to one of these, not to the default Yahoo address. How does that work in the transition? Does groups.io somehow figure out which email address I actually use? Or will I have to do that manually?

[...]

DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381

I'll follow you over there.  I don't have a problem with Yahoo Groups and I use an aol address for it.  See you there when you move.

David Hardy   1697/381
KB3RAN
CARA President
 re w

Matthew King - AK4MK

David - the idea is that you won't have to "follow" us over there. It should pick up your AOL email address from Yahoo and subscribe you just as you're subscribed now. You'll just go there, sign in (creating a new password I'm gathering) and, bam, everything is already there.

Milt - I haven't seen much wavering back and forth here. I've seen a wholesale "let's go!"  I'm having many problems with several of my Yahoo groups right now. As in, I can't see any of them when I sign into my Yahoo account. Right now, the only that seems to be working is posting via email to the reflector. Harken back to just a week or two ago where we had a week's period where the 070_contest group working fine, but nary an email showed up (regardless of posting via email or via Yahoo Group "post" function on the web) on the regular group.

There's a reason many, many groups are flocking away from Yahoo these days.... they are having major problems.

I'll continue my research and probably initiate a move soon. We'll see about keeping the existing Yahoo group for a while too, perhaps. More research to be done on that count.

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 5:12 PM, David Hardy davehardy0101@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

I'll follow you over there.  I don't have a problem with Yahoo Groups and I use an aol address for it.  See you there when you move.

David Hardy   1697/381
KB3RAN
CARA President
 re w

Rick - N7WE

I have been trying to post to both the 070 group and the 070 contest group since 6AM this morning.  Initially, all I got when I tried to access either group was "Oops! Content failed to load."  As of now,  both groups will load, but I can't post.  I'm getting email from the 070 group in my inbox, but have tried sending postings by the email address - NO JOY!  So now I'm trying responding to this email.

This is the second time in the last 2 weeks that this problem has happened.  It is NOT on my end as the last time I could post to all my Yahoo groups but 070.

Hope this makes it out to the list.

On 12/1/2017 17:12, David Hardy davehardy0101@... [070] wrote:

I'll follow you over there.  I don't have a problem with Yahoo Groups and I use an aol address for it.  See you there when you move.

David Hardy   1697/381
KB3RAN
CARA President
 re w

Mike - W0TMW #2207

Yep. I'm a moderator for another group and I've a bunch of emails to approve and I can't get in to OK them. It's really irritating.

Mike - W0TMW

  -- William Kershner
http://crucis-court.com
http://www.crucis.net/1632search
On 12/01/2017 04:28 PM, Rick Butz n7we1980@... [070] wrote:

[...]

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Rick - I send out emails but I don’t get anything back to show it went out as other lists I will actually get a copy of my outgoing email sent back to me (email).  Only way I would know if it went out is to either CC myself or go to the browser and log in to see if my email post went out!!!

Dan Morris  KZ3T  070-1065

I live to live for Him!

On Dec 1, 2017, at 5:28 PM, Rick Butz n7we1980@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

I say go for it.  I am on several other groups that have switched from Yahoo to groups.io and things are soooo much better.

Dan Morris  KZ3T  070-1065

I live to live for Him!

On Dec 1, 2017, at 2:59 PM, Matthew King - KK4CPS mrk.twg@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

boat.anchor@...

00:32Z
My access to Yahoo groups just came back online after three days.
Barry