From an old PODXS member ...

Jerry N9AVY

" Have you tried the wunnerful FT8 yet? I ran about 200 contacts and went back to PSK. Encountered a lot of crude and rude ops on FT8."

mwbesemer@...

Jerry N9AVY

It was an interesting comment I found on FB and just thought I'd pass it along FWIW.   Just had a QSO on 2m this morning with a good friend and the subject of FT-8 came up.  He's made a bunch of contacts  and says it's okay if you just want to log a lot of contacts.  He also mentioned it might be the beginning of the end of Amateur Radio once they eliminate the Operator ... just computers talking to computers.   Interesting view point ...

Jerry  n9avy

From: "mwbesemer@... [070]" <070@...>
To: 070@...
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2017 12:14 PM
Subject: RE: [070] From an old PODXS member ...

Interesting.  I ran a lot of FT8 over the Thanksgiving holiday (because I could do it 'Armchair Portable' via Teamviewer and still be actively engaged with the rest of the family) and did not encounter that.  Honestly, I don't know how you COULD be crude/rude on FT8 since there is zero human interaction.

I suppose you could still plop down on an ongoing exchange and muck things up a bit, but anyone going to that much effort is probably a lid regardless of mode.

I'm certainly not going to convert to FT8 full time, but it was a good way to occupy some time this weekend - and I DID work South Africa on 17 meters using only 40 watts.

Mike
WM4B

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 1:06 PM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] wrote:

   " Ha! ve  you tried the wunnerful FT8 yet? I ran about 200 contacts and went back  to PSK. Encountered a lot of crude and rude ops on FT8."

Brian (N2MLP)

But PSK is the same thing if you’re using MACRO’S 100%

========================

         de N2MLP Brian

       Monroe County PA

========================

[...]

Martin Tuip

Is it any different than using a computer to log thousands of CW contacts in a contest or the quick 5NN 73 with a rare DX Inna pile up?

Martin

[...]

Rare DX is just that and pity the poor DX station who has to contend with a million or so hams who NEED that contacts and are not very mannerly in getting that contact.  The DX station doesn't have to deal with the "Kilocycle Kops" on his transmitting frequency yelling  "up, up , up" while the tuner-uppers are doing their thing... lots of malicious interference to deal with. Whether it be SSB or CW, the crap is still there and has only become worse.  In my early ham radio career I've heard many a DX station pull the plug on pileups. Used to be that American hams were the obnoxious ones, but now every other country has learned  to be obnoxious as well.

As a manager for a DX station, I was instructed by him to watch logs (paper ones !) for notes in margins saying that stations would not get QSL in any case because they were LIDs and did NOT follow instructions/procedures. ! Wish I still had those logs, but they went back to operator in the 80's.

This is just another reason that people chasing QSLs don't get them. Plus the stations send the poor DX operator 6 different ways to QSL  ...  bureau, LoTW, Eqsl, direct, Qrz.com ,   Hrd log,  and so on.   TMI !!!   Just say "QSL" and be done with it, the DX will send card whatever way works for him.

Jerry n9avy
BTW,  I use macros a lot , but I can and do edit them on the fly. Hate to send same boring stuff every time. A macro is used to get basic info across in case propagation changes, but after that...

[...]

Matthew King - AK4MK

I had a contact yesterday where I went outside my macros with just simple comment on the other op's rig working well.  Lo and behold, he replied in kind. Long story short - we chatted for over an hour! One of the nicest QSOs I've ever had.

Definitely can't do that with FT8! :-)  That mode has a place, sure, but I still prefer PSK-31 as you CAN go conversational if you like. I do that about 50% of the time. Rarely does it turn into a lengthy chat, but I frequently learn interesting tidbits about the other op.  It's also how we've gotten many new members to the 070 club!

73, y'all!

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

K8TOM

I generally try to work a bit outside the macros, especially if it is a fellow 070 club member.  But yes the general rule is that you are courteous of the other ham's time and respond according.

Heck, I may even sometimes slip in a short comment in an 070 contest exchange with a fellow member!

73,

Tom
K8TOM
815

This message is private or privileged. If you are not the person for whom it is intended, please delete it, notify us immediately, and do not disclose, copy, or send it to anyone else. Any accounting, business, or tax advice contained in this message from Monroe Business Services Inc PS, including its attachments, is not a formal opinion and is not intended to be a thorough, in-depth analysis of specific issues.

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Matthew King mrk.twg@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve VA3FLF/KM4FLF

My secret to successful PSK ragchew is Dragon Dictate. The mic plugs into the audio in on the sound card and doesn’t tie up a USB. Click in the text box and talk away.
It’s easier than typing. My only problem is that it gets confused on my North Carolina / Canadian accent!
How’s that y’all eh?

My pet peeve is someone who says the like to ragchew but all you get is a canned macro exchange. It was great to see some PSK going this past weekend.

Steve
VA3FLF
KM4FLF
2301

Sent from my iPhone

[...]

Reminds me of the old 10-10 QSO Parties where people would stop in the middle of things to ragchew.  Who cares if we won, we had fun !

jerry  n9avy

[...]

Dan Morris - KZ3T

I’m with Mike — How can they be rude when there is such a short exchange and nothing else.  that is not a mode to be holding conversations for sure.    So far, I’ve only made about 10 contacts yet I know nothing about the operators other than their QTH and only know that as I put them in to ACLog as I operate.

Dan Morris  KZ3T  070-1065

I live to live for Him!

On Nov 27, 2017, at 1:14 PM, mwbesemer@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Amen Jerry — I’ll not be using FT8 as a normal mode but only if things are so rough and I get desperate that I just want to make a contact!!!

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On Nov 27, 2017, at 1:44 PM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike — that is true but I believe ‘most’ use a combination of macros and free text.  I always use free text as much as possible.  I only have several macros I use:  Signal report, QTH name, etc;   Equipment and end of QSO  and then if I’m froggy I will give a short gist of my equipment free text.  As least you can carry on a conversation regardless of the macros you use.

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On Nov 27, 2017, at 1:55 PM, 'Brian' n2mlp@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

David M (AJ4TF)

Spark operators: "CW is the end of ham radio"
CW operators:  "AM is the end of ham radio"
AM operators:  "SSB is the end of ham radio"
SSB operators: "FM is the end of ham radio"
FM operators:  "D-Star is the end of ham radio"
RTTY operators:  "PSK31 is the end of ham radio"
PSK31 operators: "FT8 is the end of ham radio"

Really?  Yawn...

de AJ4TF
PSK31, FT8, FM, D-Star, and anything else that gets me on the air.

Brian (N2MLP)

OH SO TRUE

========================

         de N2MLP Brian

       Monroe County PA

========================

Spark operators: "CW is the end of ham radio"
CW operators:  "AM is the end of ham radio"
AM operators:  "SSB is the end of ham radio"
SSB operators: "FM is the end of ham radio"
FM operators:  "D-Star is the end of ham radio"
RTTY operators:  "PSK31 is the end of ham radio"
PSK31 operators: "FT8 is the end of ham radio"

Really?  Yawn...

de AJ4TF
PSK31, FT8, FM, D-Star, and anything else that gets me on the air.

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

Ham radio has taken a serious nosedive during the 40 years that I’ve been licensed… but so has society at-large.

Mike

WM4B