Audio Level with DM780

Steve VA3FLF/KM4FLF

I posted this on HRD group a while back and never got a response. For those of you that use HRD/DM780, what do you have as your normal audio level with DM780?

This is something I never really paid close attention too until I was playing around with audio levels. I followed a little recommended procedure for adjusting sound card levels with WSJTX. The goal is to get the output levels between +30- and +50 db on the scale. So I had to adjust my sound card levels and USB output on my rig as well. 

Just for kicks I went back to look at DM780 and found my audio bar at about 14%. I had been running my audio level into DM780 around 50%.  I checked the manual and I did not see a recommended level, however I did notice on a couple of screen shots of setup examples the level is down near 3%.

Looking at the waterfall and db levels I did not see a difference from 18 to 50 on any signal on my waterfall.  I know that is not a scientific measurement.

My question is what is the recommended audio level for DM780,?

Steve

VA3FLF

Matthew King <mrk.twg@...>

I'm generally about 18-23%. The SignaLink is turned up all the way on TX. I sometimes have to back it down a bit for WSJT-X on the occasions that I use it.

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 5:05 PM, oldjavadrinker@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

I posted this on HRD group a while back and never got a response. For those of you that use HRD/DM780, what do you have as your normal audio level with DM780?

This is something I never really paid close attention too until I was playing around with audio levels. I followed a little recommended procedure for adjusting sound card levels with WSJTX. The goal is to get the output levels between +30- and +50 db on the scale. So I had to adjust my sound card levels and USB output on my rig as well. 

Just for kicks I went back to look at DM780 and found my audio bar at about 14%. I had been running my audio level into DM780 around 50%.  I checked the manual and I did not see a recommended level, however I did notice on a couple of screen shots of setup examples the level is down near 3%.

Looking at the waterfall and db levels I did not see a difference from 18 to 50 on any signal on my waterfall.  I know that is not a scientific measurement.

Steve

VA3FLF

Randy True

I usually adjust the Signalink until I see ALC then back off until the ALC is gone.

Randy W4RTT

From: 070@... <070@...> on behalf of oldjavadrinker@... [070] <070@...>
Sent: Sunday, November 5, 2017 5:05 PM
To: 070@...
Subject: [070] Audio Level with DM780

Steve

VA3FLF

Randy True

Where in DM780 are you seeing a % or a db scale?

Randy W4RTT

Steve

VA3FLF

Steve VA3FLF/KM4FLF

On the very bottom of the screen, below your waterfall. Audio received % level.

Steve

On Sunday, November 5, 2017, 6:46:35 PM EST, randy true w4rttrandy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Randy W4RTT

Steve

VA3FLF

Randy True

On the bottom of the DM780 window?

I'm not seeing that.

Randy W4RTT

From: 070@... <070@...> on behalf of Steve P oldjavadrinker@... [070] <070@...>
Sent: Sunday, November 5, 2017 6:50 PM
To: randy true w4rttrandy@... [070]
Subject: Re: [070] Audio Level with DM780

Steve

On Sunday, November 5, 2017, 6:46:35 PM EST, randy true w4rttrandy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Randy W4RTT

Steve

VA3FLF

Randy True

OK, had the status bar turned off.

Randy W4RTT

From: 070@... <070@...> on behalf of Steve P oldjavadrinker@... [070] <070@...>
Sent: Sunday, November 5, 2017 6:50 PM
To: randy true w4rttrandy@... [070]
Subject: Re: [070] Audio Level with DM780

Steve

Randy W4RTT

Steve

VA3FLF