South Dakota

Charles Odom <ki4vmk@...>

Anyone needs South Dakota AE0WM is on 20 meters

KI4VMK # 2542

boat.anchor@...

Not seen here but CQn
Barry
VB7150

---In 070@..., <ki4vmk@...> wrote :

Anyone needs South Dakota AE0WM is on 20 meters

KI4VMK # 2542

Charles Odom <ki4vmk@...>

I see him but he can't see me

On Nov 3, 2017, at 6:59 PM, "boat.anchor@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Not seen here but CQn

Barry
VB7150

---In 070@..., wrote :

Anyone needs South Dakota AE0WM is on 20 meters

KI4VMK # 2542

Charles Odom <ki4vmk@...>

Got him finally

---In 070@..., wrote :

Anyone needs South Dakota AE0WM is on 20 meters

KI4VMK # 2542

boat.anchor@...

Charles
TU 4 QSO
Barry

---In 070@..., <ki4vmk@...> wrote :

Anyone needs South Dakota AE0WM is on 20 meters

KI4VMK # 2542

ljl2002@att.net

PODXS Group,

There is a very interesting article in the September issue of CQ that deals with the problem of one station not seeing the other.
It is :  Is HF Propagation Reciprocal?  by Thomas Hood  NW7US.  It explains why the RF doesn't always go both ways on the same path.

I guess what is good for the goose is not always good for the gander when dealing with HF.

73
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Friday, November 3, 2017 8:18 PM, "boat.anchor@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Charles
TU 4 QSO
Barry

---In 070@..., wrote :

Anyone needs South Dakota AE0WM is on 20 meters

KI4VMK # 2542

Jerry N9AVY

Thought CQ went the way of 73 magazine....

---In 070@..., wrote :

Anyone needs South Dakota AE0WM is on 20 meters

KI4VMK # 2542

Bill Garwood

Thanks Joe,

It seems to be worse when the conditions are poor.  Sometimes I think there is something wrong with my antenna.  Maybe some WD-40 on the antenna will fix it?

Happy Radio!

Bill

---In 070@..., wrote :

Anyone needs South Dakota AE0WM is on 20 meters

KI4VMK # 2542

Rick - N7WE

Got a chuckle out of me Bill!
"If it doesn't move and it should - WD-40.
 If it moves and it shouldn't - duct tape!"

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

I miss 73 magazine. Wayne’s editorials were always entertaining – and often wacky!

Good construction articles too.

I subscribed to the digital edition of CQ several year ago, but found myself not reading it. I much prefer a paper copy to digital print; might have to subscribe again.

Mike
WM4B

Thought CQ went the way of 73 magazine....

There is a very interesting article in the September issue of CQ that deals with the problem of one station not seeing the other.
It is : Is HF Propagation Reciprocal? by Thomas Hood NW7US. It explains why the RF doesn't always go both ways on the same path.

I guess what is good for the goose is not always good for the gander when dealing with HF.

73
Joe
KA1PPV #1482

On Friday, November 3, 2017 8:18 PM, "boat.anchor@yahoo.ca [070]" <070@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Charles
TU 4 QSO
Barry

---In 070@yahoogroups.com, <ki4vmk@...> wrote :
I see him but he can't see me
On Nov 3, 2017, at 6:59 PM, "boat.anchor@... [070]" <070@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Not seen here but CQn
Barry
VB7150

---In 070@yahoogroups.com, <ki4vmk@...> wrote :

Anyone needs South Dakota AE0WM is on 20 meters
KI4VMK # 2542

Randy True

Good luck,

I've been waiting 2 1/2 months for my subscription to start.

Randy W4RTT

---In 070@..., wrote :

Anyone needs South Dakota AE0WM is on 20 meters
KI4VMK # 2542

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

Printed, I assume?

Mike

WM4B

---In 070@..., <ki4vmk@...> wrote :

Anyone needs South Dakota AE0WM is on 20 meters
KI4VMK # 2542

Randy True

Don't know. But a phone call10 days ago got the usual, well, were running behind. And a promise of the October issue, which I haven't seen.

Randy W4RTT

---In 070@..., <ki4vmk@...> wrote :

Anyone needs South Dakota AE0WM is on 20 meters
KI4VMK # 2542

Jerry N9AVY

Picked up a copy of CW every once in a while over the years, but it wasn't the same as it used to be.  Construction articles were few and far between and editorial content was boring.

Now  73 was a great magazine and outshined both CQ and QST. HR was also a bit boring - no pictures, but some good articles.

Met Wayne Green, W2NSD/1, on a couple occasions ... once at  Dayton and another time at local hamfest.  Great guy !  He was far ahead of his time in ham radio  and computing; also, a bit whacky at times, but I think that was a sign of genius. He was also a thorn in the side of ARRL, yet he was a member of ARRL all those years. If he could see what's going on with ARRL today, he'd probably have to print his editorials on flame-proof paper ! The beginning of the end was Wayne's divorce where his Ex  got a lot his assets including Byte magazine and one might say she really took a Byte out of Wayne !

CQ during the past year has been in trouble financially with very late or missed issues.  Think it started with December 2016 issue as many local DXers were complaining on about magazines not arriving for weeks, if at all. Sorry to see a once good publication fall upon hard times.  But such is ham radio these days as more and more content is available online.

Jerry  n9avy

---In 070@..., wrote :

Anyone needs South Dakota AE0WM is on 20 meters
KI4VMK # 2542

Randy True

Yep, L can remember picking up 73 on the news stand back in the 70's CB craze.

S9 was another.

Randy W4RTT

---In 070@..., wrote :

Anyone needs South Dakota AE0WM is on 20 meters
KI4VMK # 2542

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

And apparently, all that colloidal silver Wayne preached about didn’t do him much good.

Mike
WM4B

[...]

CQ is alive and well and I enjoy reading the paper version.

When condx are bad they are bad.

I've often wondered whether I have an antenna out there or not.  Sometimes I go out and look just to give myself peace of mind.

I'm sure that Red/Green would have used duct tape.  Fix yer antenna, eh?

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

---In 070@..., wrote :

Anyone needs South Dakota AE0WM is on 20 meters
KI4VMK # 2542

Jerry N9AVY

Joe:

Beware ! There has been reported  there is a gang of antennas thieves around CT area who are stealing antennas in the middle of the night and are selling them on Ebay .

My late Uncle had a fix for broken wire antennas... he put an insulator in at every antenna break ... it looked like Xmas lights on his 80m dipole !

Jerry  n9avy

---In 070@..., wrote :

Anyone needs South Dakota AE0WM is on 20 meters
KI4VMK # 2542

ljl2002@att.net

Mike,

Yep.  I prefer the printed version.  Don't want to drag electronics everywhere I go.

Jerry,

Cmon man!  You're kiddin me!
Wait a minute. I have to duck outside for a sec..................
All OK.  It's still there besides I have an excellent alarm system.  Our doggie just turned 8 years old today but she still won't let
anyone in without a wake-up call.

Actually sigs this evening were pretty good on 20m.  I noticed that the geo field was very quiet but I know that it won't last.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

---In 070@..., wrote :

Anyone needs South Dakota AE0WM is on 20 meters
KI4VMK # 2542

Chris J LaRue NO7E

Wayne Green and 73 were by far the best on the market.  Wayne was fun to read, honest and truly was a major thorn in the ARRL while being a life member and a one time elected officer.  All of the issues are available to read online for free here https://archive.org/details/73-magazine

I still subscribe to CQ but as I am visually impaired I only get the digital edition it is hard to read the paper version for me.  It gets released on the 1st of the month and they send an email that it is available on the Zinio app right away.  I have heard several complaints about the paper version arriving up to 7-8 weeks later though.

73 de Chris NO7E