Topics

80/160m Antenna

W7RIV

I'm looking for a simple, and reasonable antenna for 80/160m.

What are your thoughts? I know some of you have some pretty elaborate setups. I'm looking for something easy.

Thanks,
Bryon, W7RIV

mwbesemer@...

Jerry N9AVY

Have an Alpha-Delta  DX-A  for 160/80/40  which is a dual sloper and mounted to a 40 ft tower.  You need a tower because the tower is part of the antenna.. the only way you could get around the tower is by using a 35-40 metal mast or using possible a down wire from a tree of same height.

Generally, on 160m the longer the better.  Short wires/verticals and generally poor performers.  Verticals are usually noisy on 160m and some use beverage antennas for receiver only, but they need a bit of space for 160.

There is lots of info on the net if you do a search.

Jerry  n9avy

I'm looking for a simple, and reasonable antenna for 80/160m.

What are your thoughts? I know some of you have some pretty elaborate setups. I'm looking for something easy.

Thanks,
Bryon, W7RIV

If you can a inverted l is easy to put up as long as you have the room for the radials and a tree about 60 to 70 foot high

Keith n9vel

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 25, 2017, at 1:03 PM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Have an Alpha-Delta  DX-A  for 160/80/40  which is a dual sloper and mounted to a 40 ft tower.  You need a tower because the tower is part of the antenna.. the only way you could get around the tower is by using a 35-40 metal mast or using possible a down wire from a tree of same height.

Generally, on 160m the longer the better.  Short wires/verticals and generally poor performers.  Verticals are usually noisy on 160m and some use beverage antennas for receiver only, but they need a bit of space for 160.

There is lots of info on the net if you do a search.

Jerry  n9avy

I'm looking for a simple, and reasonable antenna for 80/160m.

What are your thoughts? I know some of you have some pretty elaborate setups. I'm looking for something easy.

Thanks,
Bryon, W7RIV

Brian (N2MLP)

Invert L is easy

========================

         de N2MLP Brian

       Monroe County PA

========================

Don't think I can cram that in my available 40' X 40' space.
Barry

John Bower <poppajohnbower@...>

Byron
I get good results 80/160 with an end fed antenna
9:1 Balun and 30m of wire. you can zig zag if you don't have enough straight line.
Best
John KE4JB

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 12:47 PM, Bryon nnegrom@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

I'm looking for a simple, and reasonable antenna for 80/160m.

What are your thoughts? I know some of you have some pretty elaborate setups. I'm looking for something easy.

Thanks,
Bryon, W7RIV

boat.anchor@...

John
I am trying to picture this.
Is it coax from rig to balun.
Do you have a ground system for counterpoise.

I have lots of wire and can wind a 9:1 quick enuf.
May have time B4 the snow to try something.
Barry

---In 070@..., <poppajohnbower@...> wrote :

Byron
I get good results 80/160 with an end fed antenna
9:1 Balun and 30m of wire. you can zig zag if you don't have enough straight line.
Best
John KE4JB

Brian (N2MLP)

yes

========================

         de N2MLP Brian

       Monroe County PA

========================

Do you have a ground system for counterpoise.

I have lots of wire and can wind a 9:1 quick enuf.

May have time B4 the snow to try something.

Barry

---In 070@..., <poppajohnbower@...> wrote :

Byron

I get good results 80/160 with an end fed antenna

9:1 Balun and 30m of wire. you can zig zag if you don't have enough straight line.

Best

John KE4JB

W6AM, Don Wallace, (sk), bought an old USN communications site out here on the Palos Verdes peninsula back in the 1930’s or so.

100 + acres on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. He had a Rhombic out of telephone poles, switchable every 10 degree’s!!

And!!!...i think he had similar antenna’s on all the HF bands.

Once a year he had an open house and opened the gate to his friends.

I was honored to have been invited 2X.

When he died, his family sold the property for a few brazillion dollars...

How many 0’s are there in a brazillion dollars? I dunno...but the land is now built up with $5,000,000 homes...

Don was a good guy.

Milt

N6MG

070-650

LONP #76

Here are a couple pics of K9DX's former remote site:

K9DX

Northern Illinois DX Association