Topics

17m PSK31

Jerry N9AVY

Wondering what has happened to 17m PSK31 now that it's been infested with FT-8 signals ???  Have PSK31  found a new spot on 17m  or is there something we can spray on our antennas  to rid us  of FT8 ???   :-)

 Jerry  N9AVY

Matthew King - AK4MK

My suggestion is to CQ right +1500 up from the 17m frequency as they "invaded" a known frequency.  We'll just have to learn to coexist.

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 1:13 PM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Wondering what has happened to 17m PSK31 now that it's been infested with FT-8 signals ???  Have PSK31  found a new spot on 17m  or is there something we can spray on our antennas  to rid us  of FT8 ???   :-)

 Jerry  N9AVY

Steve VA3FLF/KM4FLF

Love it. Since I have a Cobweb Antenna let’s be careful with the spray. I don’t want to kill mine.

Steve
VA3FLF
2301

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 8, 2017, at 13:13, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Wondering what has happened to 17m PSK31 now that it's been infested with FT-8 signals ???  Have PSK31  found a new spot on 17m  or is there something we can spray on our antennas  to rid us  of FT8 ???   :-)

 Jerry  N9AVY

Jerry N9AVY

Or just run RTTY CQ on 18.100 .  That frequency is usually inhabited by RTTY when band is open.  So whose fault was it those FT8 stations are all on 18.000  ... thought I read somewhere that it was the designer ???

Jerry  n9avy

My suggestion is to CQ right +1500 up from the 17m frequency as they "invaded" a known frequency.  We'll just have to learn to coexist.

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 1:13 PM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Wondering what has happened to 17m PSK31 now that it's been infested with FT-8 signals ???  Have PSK31  found a new spot on 17m  or is there something we can spray on our antennas  to rid us  of FT8 ???   :-)

 Jerry  N9AVY

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

Yep.

Mike
WM4B

So whose fault was it those FT8 stations are all on 18.000 ... thought I read somewhere that it was the designer ???

Jerry n9avy

___

Charles Odom <ki4vmk@...>

I tried FT8, didn't like it. The frequency programmed into software for 17 meters is 18.100, go figure??

KI4VMK
2542

On Oct 8, 2017, at 3:48 PM, "'Mike Besemer' mwbesemer@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Yep.

Mike
WM4B

BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Sunday, October 8, 2017 6:04 PM, "Jerry n9avy@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Methinks the well-respected developer of FT8 wither a a brain fart , didn't care or is getting senile.  He owes an apology to PSK31 operators everywhere !

If we didn't need band plans and everyone would operate as they pleased, the bands would be in total chaos. And they sure seem to be getting there now !

Jerry  n9avy

So whose fault was it those FT8 stations are all on 18.000 ... thought I read somewhere that it was the designer ???

Jerry n9avy

___

Jerry N9AVY

Yup !  Same thing I've been finding almost daily.

Jerry  N9AVY

My curiosity got the best of me ....After reading some of the original posts on 17m earlier today I went to 18.100 and sent out cq's in psk31 for about 20 minutes starting at about 21:00 zulu ..... I got no takers but the frequency was sure full of signals that were not psk .....

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU

So whose fault was it those FT8 stations are all on 18.000 ... thought I read somewhere that it was the designer ???

Jerry n9avy

___

Rick - N7WE

I too feel the frustration with FT-8 "taking over" what had been "our" segment of 17m.  But I doubt posting our concerns here will do much to change that.  May I suggest those of us who feel this is an inappropriate encroachment on the gentlemen's agreement join the WSJT Meteor Scatter and Weak Signal Group

and voice our complaints there?

The group's conversations make for interesting reading - particularly the current thread of Expanding the Watering Hole.  Have no doubt - they are coming soon to a frequency we all love and use.  Time to make our voice heard!

Probably not, but "venting" feels good.     I am hesitant to join another group after cleaning out several groups people urged me to join.  There were days I'd wake up and have way too many emails to answer; so, I purged many email accounts that held little interest. Just don't want to start down that road again.

I'm hoping that once the FT8 people tire of the mode, they'll just go away.

Jerry  n9avy

I too feel the frustration with FT-8 "taking over" what had been "our" segment of 17m.  But I doubt posting our concerns here will do much to change that.  May I suggest those of us who feel this is an inappropriate encroachment on the gentlemen's agreement join the WSJT Meteor Scatter and Weak Signal Group

and voice our complaints there?

The group's conversations make for interesting reading - particularly the current thread of Expanding the Watering Hole.  Have no doubt - they are coming soon to a frequency we all love and use.  Time to make our voice heard!

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

I suggest we start making regular use of 17 meters. I know propagation my not support much activity, but we can give it a try and see. Plus, it would be a good thing having them hear signals there.

I can try to be there as my work schedule supports.

Mike
WM4B

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/wsjtgroup/info
and voice our complaints there?

The group's conversations make for interesting reading - particularly the current thread of Expanding the Watering Hole. Have no doubt - they are coming soon to a frequency we all love and use. Time to make our voice heard!

While there are no FCC rules or regs against it, perhaps PODXS should have contests on 18.000 ?   :-)

Jerry  n9avy

[...]

Well, I’d kind of like to finish my 17 meter endorsement…

Mike
WM4B