CME Blues

ljl2002@att.net

Very same thing in CT.  I can't remember seeing it this bad.

A major "El Zippo Grande"!!!

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Friday, September 8, 2017 3:59 PM, "ak7db@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Wednesday night around 06:00 (Thurs Morning) there was a great band opening from NV to Japan on 20m.  Made around 20 FT8 contacts in 45 minutes before it died.  Last Night I finally found a DE contact on 40m that I'd been needing for months now.

Is anyone typically on around 06:00UTC on PSK these days?  I haven't checked for a while because the waterfall was always empty at my location the past few months.  Seems most of the activity is FT8 and JT variants at that time of day.

Dave, AK7DB

David Blankenburg, AK7DB

Wednesday night around 06:00 (Thurs Morning) there was a great band opening from NV to Japan on 20m.  Made around 20 FT8 contacts in 45 minutes before it died.  Last Night I finally found a DE contact on 40m that I'd been needing for months now.

Is anyone typically on around 06:00UTC on PSK these days?  I haven't checked for a while because the waterfall was always empty at my location the past few months.  Seems most of the activity is FT8 and JT variants at that time of day.

Dave, AK7DB

Matthew King - AK4MK

The A index today is *38*, and the K index is *8*, so the "decade class" CME that erupted a day or two ago has definitely made it here now!

Yesterday I was unable to decode many signals - they looked "distorted" and sure enough, they would not decode.

I hope that it's not affecting the NWS/NHC efforts surrounding Irma.

Speaking of Irma, they're predicting that it's still going to be Tropical Storm strength when it makes it to my neck of the woods in West Central Georgia, so I'm beginning preparations to be without power for a few days, potentially.  Working on the generator, getting gasoline, and readying the chainsaw.  Hurricane Opal was our last "real" brush with tropical weather, and that was 22 years ago. We actually had 70 mph winds at the Columbus, GA airport then. That's STRONG for these parts, and that's what they seem to be forecasting as a very real possibility for this area now.

If I'm not heard from for a few days next week, now you know why! :-O

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 2:03 PM, JEFF WALSH jeffwalsh1644@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Same here last night in MS ......looked like psk31 on 20m but no decode even though it was a strong signal .... ...the traces looked very blurry but the width was that of psk31 ,,,,,.later one of the traces was partially decoded enuf to to put together pieces of the callsign and believe it was Jim K5SP but would have been impossible to carry on a qso under those conditions.

I went to 20m phone and had no problems copying several stations there.

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Friday, September 8, 2017 10:11 AM, "w3hf@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Not sure. I saw something similar to Mike, I think on both 20 and 40. Multiple signals that all seemed strong enough but no consistent decodes. I was thinking some sort of phase distortion--could have been multipath, and I think aurora does that. But it seemed to last for a few hours.

I'm just glad that I wasn't the only one seeing it--that probably means that my station isn't broken.

Used to work aurora a bit on 10m and would  point beam Northward.  SSB signals  came through as I would describe as "underwater", but the voice quality was that of those robots on Battlestar Galactica.   There were predictions of aurora activity this week.

But who knows with all the hurricanes, forest fires and earthquakes going on ... things are getting weird ?

Jerry  N9AVY

BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Friday, September 8, 2017 10:11 AM, "w3hf@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Not sure. I saw something similar to Mike, I think on both 20 and 40. Multiple signals that all seemed strong enough but no consistent decodes. I was thinking some sort of phase distortion--could have been multipath, and I think aurora does that. But it seemed to last for a few hours.

I'm just glad that I wasn't the only one seeing it--that probably means that my station isn't broken.

Steve

mwbesemer@...

David, K9DWR

Is double phase-shifting like double-secret probation?

David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 11:14 AM, mwbesemer@cox.net [070] wrote:

Sure made me wonder, since I'd been monkeying with my software. It did seem to last too long for aurora, but who knows. I agree with the phase shifting idea; it's not fair when our phase shifting gets phase shifted!

Dan Morris - KZ3T

I believe that must have been the problem as I was hurrying to make a contact for my 366 last night and got it at 2359Z!!!  whew   and there were several strong signals and when I worked them even though the signals were strong I thought maybe some QSB or something because some the copy was garbled.

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On Sep 8, 2017, at 11:18 AM, mwbesemer@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Just saw on http://spaceweather.com/ that the aurora was visible as far south as Arkansas.  That would explain it.

Mike
WM4B

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 11:11 AM, w3hf@... [070] wrote:

Not sure. I saw something similar to Mike, I think on both 20 and 40. Multiple signals that all seemed strong enough but no consistent decodes. I was thinking some sort of phase distortion--could have been multipath, and I think aurora does that. But it seemed to last for a few hours.

I'm just glad that I wasn't the only one seeing it--that probably means that my station isn't broken.

Steve

mwbesemer@...

mwbesemer@...

Steve W3HF

Not sure. I saw something similar to Mike, I think on both 20 and 40. Multiple signals that all seemed strong enough but no consistent decodes. I was thinking some sort of phase distortion--could have been multipath, and I think aurora does that. But it seemed to last for a few hours.

I'm just glad that I wasn't the only one seeing it--that probably means that my station isn't broken.

Steve

mwbesemer@...

Jim K5SP

Last night I had 0 (zero) signals on 30, 40, or 80. Nothing but noise at this QTH. Called CQ many times, not a single response.

I had 2-3 signals on 20, and like Mike for some reason no decode, or not enough to make a QSO.  I did struggle with one station and got him in the log.

Today, even though I saw a station calling CQ, he apparently did not hear me.  And now, waterfall is empty.

Jim, K5SP #483