At a crossroads

Justin Mattes--KC2GIK

Folks

As many know, with the exception of last year's APE with Steve,W3HF, I
have been off the air for close to three years. Last year I moved down to
Cape May,NJ from Woopdcliff Lake and I can't use my dipole because of
property restraints My HF rig is a used FT-897 with the knobs broken. I
just recently got a Lenovo FLEX 5 laptop that has a combined audio
input/output jack, I don't know what PSK interface I could use, maybe a
signal link USB. I have tried to do some research but have come up empty.
I am HEARING PSK signals so I know the antenna works!

Thanks\
Justin, KC2GIK

Jerry N9AVY

Justin:

HOA ???  Or just antenna doesn't fit property ?  You can always bend dipole to fit.

Jerry n9avy

Sent from my iPhone

On 2 Sep 2017, at 11:21, "'Justin Mattes-KC2GIK' kc2gik@... [070]" <070@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Folks

As many know, with the exception of last year's APE with Steve,W3HF, I
have been off the air for close to three years. Last year I moved down to
Cape May,NJ from Woopdcliff Lake and I can't use my dipole because of
property restraints My HF rig is a used FT-897 with the knobs broken. I
just recently got a Lenovo FLEX 5 laptop that has a combined audio
input/output jack, I don't know what PSK interface I could use, maybe a
signal link USB. I have tried to do some research but have come up empty.
I am HEARING PSK signals so I know the antenna works!

Thanks\
Justin, KC2GIK

Justin Mattes--KC2GIK

Jerry

The antenna's fine I can't figure out what interface to get that will work
with my Lenovo Flex 5 Laptop

On 2 Sep 2017, at 11:21, "'Justin Mattes-KC2GIK' kc2gik@justinmattes.com
[070]" <070@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Folks

As many know, with the exception of last year's APE with Steve,W3HF, I
have been off the air for close to three years. Last year I moved down
Cape May,NJ from Woopdcliff Lake and I can't use my dipole because of
property restraints My HF rig is a used FT-897 with the knobs broken. I
just recently got a Lenovo FLEX 5 laptop that has a combined audio
input/output jack, I don't know what PSK interface I could use, maybe a
signal link USB. I have tried to do some research but have come up
empty.
I am HEARING PSK signals so I know the antenna works!

Thanks&#92;
Justin, KC2GIK

Jerry N9AVY

Justin:

you could try  Tigertronics USB and you won't have to worry about soundcard since it's self-contained. I'm still using my West Mountain M-8 that I bought between 2000 and 2006.

Jerry  n9avy

The antenna's fine I can't figure out what interface to get that will work
with my Lenovo Flex 5 Laptop

Justin KC2GIK

> Justin:
>
> HOA ??? Or just antenna doesn't fit property ? You can always bend
> dipole to fit.
>
> Jerry n9avy
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 2 Sep 2017, at 11:21, "'Justin Mattes-KC2GIK' kc2gik@...
> [070]" <070@...> wrote:
>
>> Folks
>>
>> As many know, with the exception of last year's APE with Steve,W3HF, I
>> have been off the air for close to three years. Last year I moved down
>> Cape May,NJ from Woopdcliff Lake and I can't use my dipole because of
>> property restraints My HF rig is a used FT-897 with the knobs broken. I
>> just recently got a Lenovo FLEX 5 laptop that has a combined audio
>> input/output jack, I don't know what PSK interface I could use, maybe a
>> signal link USB. I have tried to do some research but have come up
>> empty.
>> I am HEARING PSK signals so I know the antenna works!
>>
>> Thanks\
>> Justin, KC2GIK

David, K9DWR

In case it isn’t obvious: Tigertronics = SignaLink. Tigertronics is the company, SignaLink is the product.

I’ve been very happy with mine. Used it to run a TS-120 and currently a TS-440 off an old iMac.

David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

On Sep 2, 2017, at 15:50, Jerry n9avy@sbcglobal.net [070] <070@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Justin:

you could try Tigertronics USB and you won't have to worry about soundcard since it's self-contained. I'm still using my West Mountain M-8 that I bought between 2000 and 2006.

Jerry n9avy

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Yep, and I have been using my Tigertronics Signalink USB since 2009 on a TS480sat and connected to my iMac via Fusion VMware to my Windows system.

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

> On Sep 2, 2017, at 15:50, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:
>

> Justin:
>
> you could try Tigertronics USB and you won't have to worry about soundcard since it's self-contained. I'm still using my West Mountain M-8 that I bought between 2000 and 2006.
>
> Jerry n9avy

al7013

Like Jerry said the signalink from tigertronics stands alone works fine with my Lenovo 310

K2AFY 1063

On Sep 2, 2017 at 4:50 PM, <Jerry n9avy@... [070]> wrote:

Justin:

you could try  Tigertronics USB and you won't have to worry about soundcard since it's self-contained. I'm still using my West Mountain M-8 that I bought between 2000 and 2006.

Jerry  n9avy

The antenna's fine I can't figure out what interface to get that will work
with my Lenovo Flex 5 Laptop

Justin KC2GIK

> Justin:
>
> HOA ??? Or just antenna doesn't fit property ? You can always bend
> dipole to fit.
>
> Jerry n9avy
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 2 Sep 2017, at 11:21, "'Justin Mattes-KC2GIK' kc2gik@...
> [070]" <070@...> wrote:
>
>> Folks
>>
>> As many know, with the exception of last year's APE with Steve,W3HF, I
>> have been off the air for close to three years. Last year I moved down
>> Cape May,NJ from Woopdcliff Lake and I can't use my dipole because of
>> property restraints My HF rig is a used FT-897 with the knobs broken. I
>> just recently got a Lenovo FLEX 5 laptop that has a combined audio
>> input/output jack, I don't know what PSK interface I could use, maybe a
>> signal link USB. I have tried to do some research but have come up
>> empty.
>> I am HEARING PSK signals so I know the antenna works!
>>
>> Thanks\
>> Justin, KC2GIK

k9wis@...

If your cheap like I am look at the Unified Microsystems interface..Ive been using one for years...only 25 bucks

http://www.unifiedmicro.com/

Brian K9WIS
---- "'Justin Mattes-KC2GIK' kc2gik@justinmattes.com [070]" <070@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Folks

As many know, with the exception of last year's APE with Steve,W3HF, I
have been off the air for close to three years. Last year I moved down to
Cape May,NJ from Woopdcliff Lake and I can't use my dipole because of
property restraints My HF rig is a used FT-897 with the knobs broken. I
just recently got a Lenovo FLEX 5 laptop that has a combined audio
input/output jack, I don't know what PSK interface I could use, maybe a
signal link USB. I have tried to do some research but have come up empty.
I am HEARING PSK signals so I know the antenna works!

Thanks&#92;
Justin, KC2GIK

Jerry N9AVY

I won one of those at W9DXCC  a few years back, assembled it, but never put in on a radio.  Keep running across it in basement and think about hooking it up, but always seem to move on to other things.

Jerry  N9AVY

---- "'Justin Mattes-KC2GIK' kc2gik@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:
> Folks
>
> As many know, with the exception of last year's APE with Steve,W3HF, I
> have been off the air for close to three years. Last year I moved down to
> Cape May,NJ from Woopdcliff Lake and I can't use my dipole because of
> property restraints My HF rig is a used FT-897 with the knobs broken. I
> just recently got a Lenovo FLEX 5 laptop that has a combined audio
> input/output jack, I don't know what PSK interface I could use, maybe a
> signal link USB. I have tried to do some research but have come up empty.
> I am HEARING PSK signals so I know the antenna works!
>
> Thanks\
> Justin, KC2GIK

David, K9DWR

I’ve been using an Easy-Digi device with a Raspberry Pi to run my echo link node for about 3-4 years now. Works great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Psk-31-EASY-DIGI-Sound-Card-Interface-PSK-RTTY-SSTV-NBEMS-JT-65-HF-VHF-UHF-/220896968460

It’s really designed for digital modes like PSK-31. You can buy the unassembled kit for about $10 and the fully-assembled + case for $20+shipping.

Still love my SignaLink, though. :-)

David

On Sep 3, 2017, at 11:15, Jerry n9avy@sbcglobal.net [070] <070@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

Stephen Melachrinos

Both the Easy-Digi and the Unified Micro are very simple interfaces. They're pretty much the same as the Buxcom Rascal that I bought when I first put my then-new FT817 on PSK about 16 years ago. But neither directly addresses Justin's fundamental issue, that of a PC that does not have separate input and output audio jacks. Instead, it has a combined input/output jack. This is typically called a TRRS jack, for tip, ring, ring, sleeve, as there are two rings between the tip and sleeve instead of the single ring found on standard stereo plugs. And a consequential problem is that there are two standards for wiring a TRRS. One is called AHJ (American Headset Jack) or CTIA (for Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association)--the second is the OMTP (Open Mobile Terminal Platform). OMTP is an older standard ("more established and more formalized" according to one reference) while AHJ is used by Apple and some newer cell phones.

I've just done some searching on websites and can't figure out whether the Lenovo FLEX 5 uses AHJ or OMTP. Until we figure that out, NONE of these suggestions will make any difference to Justin. Even Mike WM4B's suggestion on a specific Monoprice TRRS cable (good suggestion--I like Monoprice) will only work for AHJ/CTIA, and will be absolutely wrong if the Lenovo uses OMTP.

So until someone can answer the OMTP vs AHJ/CTIA question for the Lenovo, the only suggestion that avoids use of the TRRS jack on his computer is bypassing the jack by using an external sound card, such as a TigerTronics SignaLink or similar. And knowing Justin, my suggestion would be to go for something simple even if it's a little more expensive. The SignaLink has only one cable (a single USB) to the computer. Easy-Digi, Unified Micro, and my own Buxcom Rascal all require three cables (audio in, audio out, and PTT), and that's not including a TRRS adapter.

I’ve been using an Easy-Digi device with a Raspberry Pi to run my echo link node for about 3-4 years now. Works great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Psk-31-EASY-DIGI-Sound-Card-Interface-PSK-RTTY-SSTV-NBEMS-JT-65-HF-VHF-UHF-/220896968460

It’s really designed for digital modes like PSK-31. You can buy the unassembled kit for about $10 and the fully-assembled + case for $20+shipping.

Still love my SignaLink, though. :-)

David

> On Sep 3, 2017, at 11:15, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:
>

> I won one of those at W9DXCC a few years back, assembled it, but never put in on a radio. Keep running across it in basement and think about hooking it up, but always seem to move on to other things.
>
> Jerry N9AVY

------------------------------------
Posted by: David Rock <david@...>
------------------------------------

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
070-digest@...
070-fullfeatured@...

KC9SEB / 070: #1579 / 10:10: #76773 / EPC: 19755

If a USB port is available,  that would be the simplest hook up,  with a Signalink.

A quick Google on the Lenovo Flex 5 refers to the port as a TRRS (Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve) interface...

I have a Lenovo tablet that I utilize with the WolphiLink interface... Works real well with that particular TRRS audio port and my  FT817D.

73 de Paul KC9SEB #1579

Justin Mattes--KC2GIK

I've do a little bit mor digging and found an "external soundcard" might
work bu-t I don't know how easy it is to configure. Let me also explain I
don;t have the hand control to do ANY assembly on my own so and
suggestions of "kits" or home made interfaces is our. I also did the same
research Steve,W3HF di before I came on here looking for suggestions

Justin,KC2GIK

—

<070@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
Folks

As many know, with the exception of last year's APE with Steve,W3HF, I
have been off the air for close to three years. Last year I moved down
Cape May,NJ from Woopdcliff Lake and I can't use my dipole because of
property restraints My HF rig is a used FT-897 with the knobs broken.
just recently got a Lenovo FLEX 5 laptop that has a combined audio
input/output jack, I don't know what PSK interface I could use, maybe
signal link USB. I have tried to do some research but have come up
empty.
I am HEARING PSK signals so I know the antenna works!

Thanks&#92;
Justin, KC2GIK

Matthew King - AK4MK

Justin - not having the dexterity required to build a kit, I truly believe your best (and simplest) solution is a SignaLink USB box/cable.

One cable between the radio and computer gets you in business. The box has TX and RX volume knobs right on it, so there's no having to fool with Windows volume sliders all the time.

I've been using one for about 4 years, with 2 different radios, and have been quite happy with it.  I still use it with my Yaesu FTdx3000, even though it has a built in sound card - I like the knobs!

Good luck with it and let us know if we can help.

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 12:16 AM, 'Justin Mattes-KC2GIK' kc2gik@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

I've do a little bit mor digging and found an "external soundcard" might
work bu-t I don't know how easy it is to configure. Let me also explain I
don;t have the hand control to do ANY assembly on my own so and
suggestions of "kits" or home made interfaces is our. I also did the same
research Steve,W3HF di before I came on here looking for suggestions

Justin,KC2GIK

> I’ve been using an Easy-Digi device with a Raspberry Pi to run my echo
> link node for about 3-4 years now. Works great.
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Psk-31-EASY-DIGI-Sound-Card-Interface-PSK-RTTY-SSTV-NBEMS-JT-65-HF-VHF-UHF-/220896968460
>
> It’s really designed for digital modes like PSK-31. You can buy the
> unassembled kit for about $10 and the fully-assembled + case for
> $20+shipping.
>
> Still love my SignaLink, though. :-)
>
> —
> David
>
>> On Sep 3, 2017, at 11:15, Jerry n9avy@... [070]
>> <070@...> wrote:
>>

>> I won one of those at W9DXCC a few years back, assembled it, but never
>> put in on a radio. Keep running across it in basement and think about
>> hooking it up, but always seem to move on to other things.
>>
>> Jerry N9AVY

Stephen Melachrinos

Justin -

There are two parts of the setup of an "external soundcard" interface like the SignaLink: the computer side and the radio side. (Sorry if that was a "doh!")

As others have pointed out, the radio side is pretty easy--you use a cable specific to your radio, and then adjust the signal level to the radio using the Tx knob on the SignaLink.

The computer side has a few more steps, but it's still pretty easy. It's a single USB cable, so the mechanical part is easy. Once you plug it in (and both the computer and SignaLink are powered on), the computer should recognize the external sound card and then set it up. You then have to make sure that the external sound card is selected for your PSK program and nothing else. You can continue to use the computer's sound card for other audio functions, like sound on web sites, Windows sounds, etc. But don't let Windows use the SignaLink's sound card for any of those functions or you risk transmitting things like Windows chimes and music over the air. Somewhere in your PSK program should be a menu to select the SignaLink. (Note that it might not actually be called "SignaLink" to Windows--it might have a name based on the chipset inside. Before you plug it in, take a note of what your internal sound card is called, and then look for the new one after the SignaLink is plugged in.) Finally, set the gain of the audio going to the PC using the Rx knob on the SignaLink.

The last thing to do is configure the virtual COM port used for PTT. Rather than try to figure it out logically, I just tried the various choices in the PSK program until I found the one that keyed the radio.

I used a SignaLink USB at the "rental" station in Guam, so it's been a while since I've used one, but one thing I do remember is try not to use different USB ports on the computer if you have to disconnect and then reconnect the SignaLink. IIRC, if I used the same port then the computer and software remembered the settings. If I used a different USB port, then I had to change the settings in the software (like the number of the virtual COM port).

I've do a little bit mor digging and found an "external soundcard" might
work bu-t I don't know how easy it is to configure. Let me also explain I
don;t have the hand control to do ANY assembly on my own so and
suggestions of "kits" or home made interfaces is our. I also did the same
research Steve,W3HF di before I came on here looking for suggestions

Justin,KC2GIK

N9JCA Chris Matthews <n9jca.chris@...>

Hi Group

If I may here is my answer to the mix ( Don't know how much Justin wants to spend )

Since Day 1, back in the late 70's when I got interested in the Digital side of Ham Radio

I have used a RigBlaster ( 2 or 3 different Models ) until I settled on the RigBlaster Advantage I have one for my ICOM 746Pro and my ICOM 718 and have never had a problem with either of them and if you follow the Manual that comes with it you can't go wrong in the setup and you will be on the air within 30 minutes once you start

1 RigBlaster Box with a built in sound card

1Rig CTRL Cable

1 Plug that fits into the back of the Rig in the ACC Plugin with 2 Cables

1 CAT Cable

You can call West Mountain Radio at 1 262 522 6503 ask for a Tech, tell him the kind of Rig you are running and they will set you up with all the right Cables that you need

Cost is approx $250.00 for everything and IMHO well worth the $$$$

Chris N9JCA PODXS 797 LONP 165

73

" I am always doing that which I CANNOT do;
in order that I may LEARN how to do it "

[...]

Looks like DX Engineering has the Tigertronics SignaLink USB combo (with the correct cable for your rig) for $129.95.  Add to that a standard USB cable and you're in business.

It could probably be found for less, but it's hard to be DXE's simplicity and tech support, should you need it. Not that Tigertronics wouldn't help you as well, but the folks at DXE are just so helpful.

Either one, the RigBlaster that Chris recommends or the SignaLink USB that a few of us have mentioned, would get you going in fine order.

Let us know which route you take!