30m success !

Jerry N9AVY

Got Bob, KC9UR in the log in spite of rain here.  Also put Mike , WM4B (totally unexpected!) in the 30m log.

First time I got  KC9UR  on 3  bands !!!

Jerry  N9AVY

P.S.   Just picked up a TS-570S from a Silent Key estate sale.  Unfortunately,  he was a heavy smoker and now that surface cleaned rig, it's been sealed in a big baggie along with bunches of dryer sheets to remove odor.  Will be about mid-week before I can put it on the air.

boat.anchor@...

Jerry
You might want to see if it is feasible to dismantle partially es run some thru the dishwasher.
Also remember to put all the cables in the baggie as well.
been there
Barry

---In 070@..., <n9avy@...> wrote :

Got Bob, KC9UR in the log in spite of rain here.  Also put Mike , WM4B (totally unexpected!) in the 30m log.

First time I got  KC9UR  on 3  bands !!!

Jerry  N9AVY

P.S.   Just picked up a TS-570S from a Silent Key estate sale.  Unfortunately,  he was a heavy smoker and now that surface cleaned rig, it's been sealed in a big baggie along with bunches of dryer sheets to remove odor.  Will be about mid-week before I can put it on the air.

JEFF WALSH

Barry ...u must be careful what u put out there ..... there might be somebody out there who will try it ..... hi hi

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

---In 070@..., wrote :

Got Bob, KC9UR in the log in spite of rain here.  Also put Mike , WM4B (totally unexpected!) in the 30m log.

First time I got  KC9UR  on 3  bands !!!

Jerry  N9AVY

P.S.   Just picked up a TS-570S from a Silent Key estate sale.  Unfortunately,  he was a heavy smoker and now that surface cleaned rig, it's been sealed in a big baggie along with bunches of dryer sheets to remove odor.  Will be about mid-week before I can put it on the air.

Jerry N9AVY

Nope, no dishwasher !  Too risky. Guess you guys in Canada take baths in dishwasher, huh ?

All the cables are in baggie with radio .  Have used this technique before  and after 3 days in the bag all is like new.

Jerry  n9avy

---In 070@..., wrote :

Got Bob, KC9UR in the log in spite of rain here.  Also put Mike , WM4B (totally unexpected!) in the 30m log.

First time I got  KC9UR  on 3  bands !!!

Jerry  N9AVY

P.S.   Just picked up a TS-570S from a Silent Key estate sale.  Unfortunately,  he was a heavy smoker and now that surface cleaned rig, it's been sealed in a big baggie along with bunches of dryer sheets to remove odor.  Will be about mid-week before I can put it on the air.

boat.anchor@...

Jerry
I was not joking. All the covers go well, just dont stick anything in that will absorb water. Altho I have heard of guys putting TS820 in dishwasher then dry in oven. Not sure I wud but the precedent is there. If someone actually got their HAM tkt and bought a rig and stuck it in the dishwasher without adequate research on the subject, then I really would believe in Karma.
Barry

---In 070@..., <jeffwalsh1644@...> wrote :

Barry ...u must be careful what u put out there ..... there might be somebody out there who will try it ..... hi hi

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Sunday, August 27, 2017 10:48 AM, "boat.anchor@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Jerry
You might want to see if it is feasible to dismantle partially es run some thru the dishwasher.
Also remember to put all the cables in the baggie as well.
been there
Barry

boat.anchor@...

just like brand new military parts that have been stored in grease. Has that same yellowish hue as well.

---In 070@..., <n9avy@...> wrote :

Nope, no dishwasher !  Too risky. Guess you guys in Canada take baths in dishwasher, huh ?

All the cables are in baggie with radio .  Have used this technique before  and after 3 days in the bag all is like new.

Barry:

That probably explains why a friend of mine bought 2 dead TS-820's  from Ebay !

There are some in this group who may not have the expertise to undertake this type of project.  You might lead them astray  and they could end with an expensive piece of junk.

Jerry  N9AVY

BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Sunday, August 27, 2017 10:48 AM, "boat.anchor@... [070]" <070@...>! ; wrote:

Jerry
You might want to see if it is feasible to dismantle partially es run some thru the dishwasher.
Also remember to put all the cables in the baggie as well.
been there
Barry

boat.anchor@...

Jerry
I think you are connecting the missing dots.
Dead 820s from eBay have nothing to do with cleaning and everything to do with eBay.
Barry

---In 070@..., <n9avy@...> wrote :

Barry:

That probably explains why a friend of mine bought 2 dead TS-820's  from Ebay !

There are some in this group who may not have the expertise to undertake this type of project.  You might lead them astray  and they could end with an expensive piece of junk.

Jerry  N9AVY

Jerry N9AVY

I knew that ..  Think you were referring to putting the cases only in dishwasher, not the electronics of the radio (think you left that part out). Sometimes people will run with an idea and not read everything.

My friend made some poor choices in buying radios on ebay.  There are unscrupulous people on Ebay who rather than fix a broken radio will  dump it on unsuspecting ham ... you'll also find same ones at hamfests. Of course, dishwashers have nothing to do with Ebay.

My TS-570 has been cooking away for almost 24 hours.  Will pull it out in a couple days and hopefully it will no longer stink of stale smoke/

Take care Barry !

Jerry  n9avy

---In 070@..., wrote :

Barry:

That probably explains why a friend of mine bought 2 dead TS-820's  from Ebay !

There are some in this group who may not have the expertise to undertake this type of project.  You might lead them astray  and they could end with an expensive piece of junk.

Jerry  N9AVY

boat.anchor@...

Jerry

There is a quicker way around the smell issue. Just take up smoking.

out of good ideas now
Barry

---In 070@..., <n9avy@...> wrote :

I knew that ..  Think you were referring to putting the cases only in dishwasher, not the electronics of the radio (think you left that part out). Sometimes people will run with an idea and not read everything.

My friend made some poor choices in buying radios on ebay.  There are unscrupulous people on Ebay who rather than fix a broken radio will  dump it on unsuspecting ham ... you'll also find same ones at hamfests. Of course, dishwashers have nothing to do with Ebay.

My TS-570 has been cooking away for almost 24 hours.  Will pull it out in a couple days and hopefully it will no longer stink of stale smoke/

Take care Barry !

Quit that in my 20's when I stopped going to bars !

---In 070@..., wrote :

I knew that ..  Think you were referring to putting the cases only in dishwasher, not the electronics of the radio (think you left that part out). Sometimes people will run with an idea and not read everything.

My friend made some poor choices in buying radios on ebay.  There are unscrupulous people on Ebay who rather than fix a broken radio will  dump it on unsuspecting ham ... you'll also find same ones at hamfests. Of course, dishwashers have nothing to do with Ebay.

My TS-570 has been cooking away for almost 24 hours.  Will pull it out in a couple days and hopefully it will no longer stink of stale smoke/

Take care Barry !

Jerry  n9avy

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

Prohibition?

Mike
WM4B

---In 070@yahoogroups.com, <n9avy@...> wrote :
I knew that .. Think you were referring to putting the cases only in dishwasher, not the electronics of the radio (think you left that part out). Sometimes people will run with an idea and not read everything.

My friend made some poor choices in buying radios on ebay. There are unscrupulous people on Ebay who rather than fix a broken radio will dump it on unsuspecting ham ... you'll also find same ones at hamfests. Of course, dishwashers have nothing to do with Ebay.

My TS-570 has been cooking away for almost 24 hours. Will pull it out in a couple days and hopefully it will no longer stink of stale smoke/

Take care Barry !

Jerry n9avy

Jerry N9AVY

Nope, nothing against drinking ... used to be able to drink anyone under the table.  Just tapered off , In 2000, I passed out behind the wheel on one of Chicago's Expressways.  Later found out I had diabetes and blood sugar was way over 400.  Will have about 2 beers a year , evenly spaced now.

Jerry

---In 070@..., <n9avy@...> wrote :
I knew that .. Think you were referring to putting the cases only in dishwasher, not the electronics of the radio (think you left that part out). Sometimes people will run with an idea and not read everything.

My friend made some poor choices in buying radios on ebay. There are unscrupulous people on Ebay who rather than fix a broken radio will dump it on unsuspecting ham ... you'll also find same ones at hamfests. Of course, dishwashers have nothing to do with Ebay.

My TS-570 has been cooking away for almost 24 hours. Will pull it out in a couple days and hopefully it will no longer stink of stale smoke/

Take care Barry !

Jerry n9avy

Jim K5SP

Jerry good luck with the 570-S.

I have one as my primary rig and it has worked flawlessly for me since 1999.  Have not had a single problem with it. (Knock on wood).

Jim, K5SP

---In 070@..., wrote :
I knew that .. Think you were referring to putting the cases only in dishwasher, not the electronics of the radio (think you left that part out). Sometimes people will run with an idea and not read everything.

My friend made some poor choices in buying radios on ebay. There are unscrupulous people on Ebay who rather than fix a broken radio will dump it on unsuspecting ham ... you'll also find same ones at hamfests. Of course, dishwashers have nothing to do with Ebay.

My TS-570 has been cooking away for almost 24 hours. Will pull it out in a couple days and hopefully it will no longer stink of stale smoke/

Take care Barry !

Jerry n9avy

Jerry N9AVY

Just worked a guy in FL this morning who was using a 570D  and his signal was flawless !

Jerry  n9avy