Topics

Work the Heavens

Rick - N7WE

Someone posted a while back about someone dreaming up the next tough one.  OK...how about this for a new tough one?

Work the Heavens (WTH) - 12 different segments

In the model of Work the World, (except a lot, lot quicker and easier!) work stations to spell out the 12 Signs of the Zodiac. Same rules as WTW with the only difference being the QSO's must take place within the dates for that particular Zodiac sign.

Spell CAPRICORN - Dec 23 thru Jan 19

Spell AQUARIUS - Jan 20 thru Feb 18

Spell PICES - Feb 19 thru Mar 19

Spell ARIES - Mar 20 thru Apr 19

Spell TAURUS - Apr 20 thru May 20

Spell GEMINI - May 21 thru Jun 20

Spell CANCER - Jun 21 thru Jul 22

Spell LEO - Jul 23 thru Aug 22

Spell VIRGO - Aug 23 thru Sept 22

Spell LIBRA - Sept 23 thru Oct 22

Spell SCORPIO - Oct 23 thru Nov 21

Spell SAGITTARIUS - Nov 22 thru Dec 22

Don't know how difficult that would be for David to set up in the Checker, but it sure would be easier to work on than DX what with the really lousy prop that is supposed to hang on for another 2 years or so!  Just my suggestion.

JEFF WALSH

 I like it ! ... Great idea !

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Saturday, August 19, 2017 1:52 PM, "n7we1980@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Reading that over, it sounds like I was saying it was easier for David to work on setting it up than chase DX.  What I meant was it would be easier for members to work on Work the Heavens than chase DX.  David has enough with chasing DTwins!

Too many "A's "

Jerry  N9AVY

Reading that over, it sounds like I was saying it was easier for David to work on setting it up than chase DX.  What I meant was it would be easier for members to work on Work the Heavens than chase DX.  David has enough with chasing DTwins!

Paul Milward <nu4c@...>

Now that sounds like fun. Would we use any letter in calls ignore Suffix? When would we begin, I suggest 12/23.
BTW it is spelled Pisces.
73 Paul nu4c

On Aug 19, 2017 14:52, "n7we1980@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

[...]

That's what makes it challenging
Paul nu4c

On Aug 19, 2017 15:42, "Jerry n9avy@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Too many "A's "

Jerry  N9AVY

Reading that over, it sounds like I was saying it was easier for David to work on setting it up than chase DX.  What I meant was it would be easier for members to work on Work the Heavens than chase DX.  David has enough with chasing DTwins!

Paul Milward <nu4c@...>

I hate auto fill
It was supposed to be "callsign"

On Aug 19, 2017 16:01, "Paul Milward nu4c@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Naw Jerry.  Like WTW you can call the same station again for a different segment.  That means for 7 periods out of 12 you would be a very popular guy!

Me too!  But I can't blame it on autocomplete.  It was me and it should have been PISCES.

Thanks for the catch Paul!

Same rules as WTW....First letter of the suffix after the last number in the call.

Wasn't there a limit on the number of times a call could be used ???

Jerry  N9AVY

Same rules as WTW....First letter of the suffix after the last number in the call.

Don Bolstad K9DEB

Proposed WTH would only require 76 QSO's,  assume call used only once

No
CAPRICORN9
AQUARIUS8
PICES5
ARIES5
TAURUS6
GEMINI6
CANCER6
LEO3
VIRGO5
LIBRA5
SCORPIO7
SAGITTARIUS11
76

LetterNo%
A912%
B11%
C68%
D00%
E57%
F00%
G34%
H00%
I1114%
J00%
K00%
L23%
M11%
N34%
O57%
P34%
Q11%
R1013%
S79%
T34%
U57%
V11%
W00%
X00%
Y00%
Z00%
76

Don Bolstad K9DEB

Opps  77    with correct spelling of PISCES

No
CAPRICORN 9
AQUARIUS 8
PISCES 6
ARIES 5
TAURUS 6
GEMINI 6
CANCER 6
LEO 3
VIRGO 5
LIBRA 5
SCORPIO 7
SAGITTARIUS 11
77

Don Bolstad K9DEB

Believe a call can only be used once per continent name.  Can be used in multiple continents, for a maximum total of nine times.

Don K9DEB #2007

David Westbrook

These spelling-type of things really just boil down to working a certain number of A's, certain number of B's, etc.
In this case, the goal would be to work this many of each of these letters (first letter of suffix):
      9 A
      1 B
      6 C
      5 E
      3 G
     11 I
      2 L
      1 M
      3 N
      5 O
      3 P
      1 Q
     10 R
      8 S
      3 T
      5 U
      1 V
Noting to do with words, or DX, or propagation or anything to learn or experiment with -- purely just making any contacts .. personally, for that reason, I don't like WTW or similar as an endorsement series.

If it were in the WTW model, this set of signs is basically a "continent", and the the signs (e.g. LEO) are "countries";  And if by WTW rules then you could only work a callsign  once.  e.g. for North America, if you work Jerry N9AVY, it would apply to CANADA, but you could not work him again to apply towards UNITEDSTATES.   So if you worked him for CANCER, could not work him again for TAURUS.
but it coulud be implemented however anyone wanted.

Rick -- yes, they are keeping we quite busy!   ham time is basically zero :( ...  Probably won't be on the waterfall anytime soon (maybe PSKfest in jan, or next july to chase 13colonies).    I'm pretty slow & behind on support/bugfixes for ham sites (checker, scorer, hamclubs), so don't have any plans for feat-adds unless really trivial (regular endorsement updates).

not reading the majority of the list anymore either ... caught this thread by chance.

73!
--david
kj4izw

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 4:54 PM, don@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Opps  77    with correct spelling of PISCES

No
CAPRICORN 9
AQUARIUS 8
PISCES 6
ARIES 5
TAURUS 6
GEMINI 6
CANCER 6
LEO 3
VIRGO 5
LIBRA 5
SCORPIO 7
SAGITTARIUS 11

Roger that David.  FAMILY FIRST!  Watch them grow.  They are all too soon grown and out on their own. Although it never felt like it when my son was growing up!  Now this old man looks back and remembers how quick it went.

I think the main thing different from the WTW would be time period constraint.  And that would add another condition to the logic.  In my mind a Zodiac sign equalled a WTW continent.  That meant that N9AVY could be worked once for each Zodiac having an A....but only during the appropriate time period.

With prop like it is, I think anything that increased activity of the membership is a good thing.  Feels like the old "use it or loose it" just happened to what had been PSK segment on 17m.  All I see there now is FT-8.

Sounds like we should pass on WTH for now.  73, take care, love those little ones....and remember to find time to breath!

---In 070@..., <dwestbrook@...> wrote :

[...]

Just remembered about WOTMC (word of the month club) from a few years back...
This WTH is basically identical to that -- there should be info in the group archive if someone searches for WOTMC (on phone,  can't look right now).

-david
KJ4IZW

---In 070@..., wrote :

[...]

Stephen Melachrinos

It was during 2012, and all radio-related words:

Jan
PHONEJACK
 Feb
COAXIALCABLE
 Mar
NOTCHFILTER
Apr
CLOUDWARMER
 May
PHASESHIFTKEYING
 Jun
EYEBALLQSO
Jul
LOGPERIODIC
 Aug
DUMMYLOAD
 Sep
HFSCREWDRIVER
Oct
SWRANALYZER
 Nov
VELOCITYFACTOR
 Dec
GRAYLINE

There was no restriction on using a callsign in multiple months.

---In 070@..., wrote :

[...]

Yup, That's the set!  It was more or less just a monthly quota of q's to make.   I think a bunch of those months my only q's at all were for WOTMC.

-david

---In 070@..., wrote :

[...]

k9wis@...

OMG...glad I missed that one...hi hi