From: "Bill Garwood n4gbk@... [070]" <070@...>
To: "070@..." <070@...>
Sent: Friday, August 4, 2017 7:28 PM
Subject: [070] FT8

Hi Folks,

I have been looking at FT8 as well.  If you download the program WSJT-X 1.8.0 and select FT8 and 17 meters, it automatically sets your frequency at 18.100.  You can complain to the individual operators all you want but the solution would be to get the software gurus to change the 17 meter frequency in the software to something other than 18.100.  This change could be made fairly quickly and most of the current FT8 folks who get the regular software updates and all new ones just coming up to speed on FT8 would have the other frequency as their standard.  FT8 is new and still in development.  It is a new world out there with things changing quickly.

As was mentioned earlier today on this reflector, a nicely worded email to Joe K1JT asking him about why they chose 18.100 for the FT8 frequency and asking him to see if there is another frequency they might use for this mode, might be in order.  Does the PODXS Club have an officer that might serve as the frequency coordinator?

I have not seen any FT8 operation in any of our other regular PSK31 frequencies.  I have seen other digital modes but not FT8.  Also what does the EPC or other PSK groups have to say about this.  There are a lot of FT8 operators in Europe and beyond.  I expect the 17 meter FT8 issue is world-wide.

73,
Bill N4GBK #1688

F.R. Ashley

FT-8 freqs: Just go into the settings in WSJT-X and change the default freq. to anything you want. None of this is set in stone.� I would "suggest" FT-8 default frequency raised closer to the 18.110 limit than lower into the CW portion.� Seems like the JT modes, PSK and RTTY already competing for a very small sliver of 17m.

73 Buddy WB4M
1545

I have been looking at FT8 as well. �If you download the program WSJT-X 1.8.0 and select FT8 and 17 meters, it automatically sets your frequency at 18.100. �You can complain to the individual operators all you want but the solution would be to get the software gurus to change the 17 meter frequency in the software to something other than 18.100. �This change could be made fairly quickly and most of the current FT8 folks who get the regular software�updates and all new ones just coming up to speed on FT8 would have the other frequency as their standard. �FT8 is new and still in development. �It is a new world out there with things changing quickly.

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

Hey! It was MY idea FIRST! (Pout!)

Mike (but ya doesn’t have to call me Michael)
WM4B

[...]

But until the ‘suggested’ anchor is changed in the software, nobody will
move. Problem is, 17 meters is pretty narrow.

I’m not sure how much PSK activity there is on 17 meters – always seems dead
when I’m there – but since FT8 is a ‘weak signal mode’ (although a lot of
people don’t think it’s a very good one), you think they’d want to avoid the
PSK region of the band.

FWIW, I worked several stations on FT8 tonight that the software reported as
-19 dB (I don’t know what that’s reference to) but to me the traces looked
pretty strong and I suspect if it had been PSK the qso would have been quite
possible.

Mike
WM4B

[...]

FWIW, I have emailed the WSJT-X development team with the concern of the default FT8 frequency on 17 meters.

I will post their reply.

73 Buddy WB4M
1545

Richard Rohrer

The spread of FT8 over other users seems to be a problem on 20 mtrs for other digital mode users and for cw nets on 80 mtrs.  Apparently the FT8 user group did not bother to see what other users/modes maybe already using the frequencies and just decided to put FT8 there.  Originally it was suppose to go 3 khz above the JT65 frequencies which would have eliminated the problem.  I have already gotten an warning from the protectors of the FT8 frequencies that I should move to a different frequency as not to cause interference on a frequency that I normally use of Hellschriber.

Just my 2 cents.

Dick
KC3EF

keitheuffer@...

FT8 is active just below JT65 on 40 meters 7.076.  I've spotted them right on that frequency, too.    That would be like psk31 and JT65 on the same frequency - very annoying.   Also, I was chastised by a JT9 user not long ago for being just above the JT65 crowd on 20 meters.  I was told I was interfering with their QSOs.  In the words of brother Rodney, "why can't we all just get along"?
KT4EP
(All the local new hams here with HF privileges are 'ga-ga' over FT8.  The new shiny bauble, as I have heard).

Jerry N9AVY

"Shiny new baubble.... "       Hah- hah, but kinda true !

jerry   n9avy