FT8

Bill Garwood

Hi Folks,

I have been looking at FT8 as well.  If you download the program WSJT-X 1.8.0 and select FT8 and 17 meters, it automatically sets your frequency at 18.100.  You can complain to the individual operators all you want but the solution would be to get the software gurus to change the 17 meter frequency in the software to something other than 18.100.  This change could be made fairly quickly and most of the current FT8 folks who get the regular software updates and all new ones just coming up to speed on FT8 would have the other frequency as their standard.  FT8 is new and still in development.  It is a new world out there with things changing quickly.

As was mentioned earlier today on this reflector, a nicely worded email to Joe K1JT asking him about why they chose 18.100 for the FT8 frequency and asking him to see if there is another frequency they might use for this mode, might be in order.  Does the PODXS Club have an officer that might serve as the frequency coordinator?  

I have not seen any FT8 operation in any of our other regular PSK31 frequencies.  I have seen other digital modes but not FT8.  Also what does the EPC or other PSK groups have to say about this.  There are a lot of FT8 operators in Europe and beyond.  I expect the 17 meter FT8 issue is world-wide.

Bill N4GBK #1688

Jerry N9AVY

Level heads prevail !   Tnx Bill.

Jerry  N9AVY

To: "070@..." <070@...>
Sent: Friday, August 4, 2017 7:28 PM
Subject: [070] FT8

Hi Folks,

I have been looking at FT8 as well.  If you download the program WSJT-X 1.8.0 and select FT8 and 17 meters, it automatically sets your frequency at 18.100.  You can complain to the individual operators all you want but the solution would be to get the software gurus to change the 17 meter frequency in the software to something other than 18.100.  This change could be made fairly quickly and most of the current FT8 folks who get the regular software updates and all new ones just coming up to speed on FT8 would have the other frequency as their standard.  FT8 is new and still in development.  It is a new world out there with things changing quickly.

As was mentioned earlier today on this reflector, a nicely worded email to Joe K1JT asking him about why they chose 18.100 for the FT8 frequency and asking him to see if there is another frequency they might use for this mode, might be in order.  Does the PODXS Club have an officer that might serve as the frequency coordinator?  

I have not seen any FT8 operation in any of our other regular PSK31 frequencies.  I have seen other digital modes but not FT8.  Also what does the EPC or other PSK groups have to say about this.  There are a lot of FT8 operators in Europe and beyond.  I expect the 17 meter FT8 issue is world-wide.

Bill N4GBK #1688

F.R. Ashley

FT-8 freqs: Just go into the settings in WSJT-X and change the default freq. to anything you want. None of this is set in stone.� I would "suggest" FT-8 default frequency raised closer to the 18.110 limit than lower into the CW portion.� Seems like the JT modes, PSK and RTTY already competing for a very small sliver of 17m.

73 Buddy WB4M

I have been looking at FT8 as well. �If you download the program WSJT-X 1.8.0 and select FT8 and 17 meters, it automatically sets your frequency at 18.100. �You can complain to the individual operators all you want but the solution would be to get the software gurus to change the 17 meter frequency in the software to something other than 18.100. �This change could be made fairly quickly and most of the current FT8 folks who get the regular software�updates and all new ones just coming up to speed on FT8 would have the other frequency as their standard. �FT8 is new and still in development. �It is a new world out there with things changing quickly.

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

Hey! It was MY idea FIRST! (Pout!)

Mike (but ya doesn’t have to call me Michael)
WM4B

Sent: Friday, August 4, 2017 8:53 PM
To: 070@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [070] FT8

Level heads prevail ! Tnx Bill.

Jerry N9AVY

Sent: Friday, August 4, 2017 7:28 PM
Subject: [070] FT8

Hi Folks,

I have been looking at FT8 as well. If you download the program WSJT-X 1.8.0 and select FT8 and 17 meters, it automatically sets your frequency at 18.100. You can complain to the individual operators all you want but the solution would be to get the software gurus to change the 17 meter frequency in the software to something other than 18.100. This change could be made fairly quickly and most of the current FT8 folks who get the regular software updates and all new ones just coming up to speed on FT8 would have the other frequency as their standard. FT8 is new and still in development. It is a new world out there with things changing quickly.

As was mentioned earlier today on this reflector, a nicely worded email to Joe K1JT asking him about why they chose 18.100 for the FT8 frequency and asking him to see if there is another frequency they might use for this mode, might be in order. Does the PODXS Club have an officer that might serve as the frequency coordinator?

I have not seen any FT8 operation in any of our other regular PSK31 frequencies. I have seen other digital modes but not FT8. Also what does the EPC or other PSK groups have to say about this. There are a lot of FT8 operators in Europe and beyond. I expect the 17 meter FT8 issue is world-wide.

Bill N4GBK #1688

But until the ‘suggested’ anchor is changed in the software, nobody will
move. Problem is, 17 meters is pretty narrow.

I’m not sure how much PSK activity there is on 17 meters – always seems dead
when I’m there – but since FT8 is a ‘weak signal mode’ (although a lot of
people don’t think it’s a very good one), you think they’d want to avoid the
PSK region of the band.

FWIW, I worked several stations on FT8 tonight that the software reported as
-19 dB (I don’t know what that’s reference to) but to me the traces looked
pretty strong and I suspect if it had been PSK the qso would have been quite
possible.

Mike
WM4B

Sent: Friday, August 4, 2017 9:21 PM
To: 070@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [070] FT8

FT-8 freqs: Just go into the settings in WSJT-X and change the default freq.
to anything you want. None of this is set in stone.  I would "suggest" FT-8
default frequency raised closer to the 18.110 limit than lower into the CW
portion.  Seems like the JT modes, PSK and RTTY already competing for a very
small sliver of 17m.

73 Buddy WB4M

I have been looking at FT8 as well.  If you download the program WSJT-X
1.8.0 and select FT8 and 17 meters, it automatically sets your frequency at
18.100.  You can complain to the individual operators all you want but the
solution would be to get the software gurus to change the 17 meter frequency
in the software to something other than 18.100.  This change could be made
fairly quickly and most of the current FT8 folks who get the regular
software updates and all new ones just coming up to speed on FT8 would have
the other frequency as their standard.  FT8 is new and still in development.
 It is a new world out there with things changing quickly.

F.R. Ashley

FWIW, I have emailed the WSJT-X development team with the concern of the default FT8 frequency on 17 meters.

I will post their reply.

73 Buddy WB4M

Richard Rohrer

The spread of FT8 over other users seems to be a problem on 20 mtrs for other digital mode users and for cw nets on 80 mtrs.  Apparently the FT8 user group did not bother to see what other users/modes maybe already using the frequencies and just decided to put FT8 there.  Originally it was suppose to go 3 khz above the JT65 frequencies which would have eliminated the problem.  I have already gotten an warning from the protectors of the FT8 frequencies that I should move to a different frequency as not to cause interference on a frequency that I normally use of Hellschriber.  

Just my 2 cents.

Dick
KC3EF 

keitheuffer@...

FT8 is active just below JT65 on 40 meters 7.076.  I've spotted them right on that frequency, too.    That would be like psk31 and JT65 on the same frequency - very annoying.   Also, I was chastised by a JT9 user not long ago for being just above the JT65 crowd on 20 meters.  I was told I was interfering with their QSOs.  In the words of brother Rodney, "why can't we all just get along"?
KT4EP
(All the local new hams here with HF privileges are 'ga-ga' over FT8.  The new shiny bauble, as I have heard).

Jerry N9AVY

"Shiny new baubble.... "       Hah- hah, but kinda true !

jerry   n9avy

To: 070@...
Sent: Sunday, August 6, 2017 1:02 PM
Subject: [070] Re: FT8

FT8 is active just below JT65 on 40 meters 7.076.  I've spotted them right on that frequency, too.    That would be like psk31 and JT65 on the same frequency - very annoying.   Also, I was chastised by a JT9 user not long ago for being just above the JT65 crowd on 20 meters.  I was told I was interfering with their QSOs.  In the words of brother Rodney, "why can't we all just get along"?
KT4EP
(All the local new hams here with HF privileges are 'ga-ga' over FT8.  The new shiny bauble, as I have heard).

Stephen Melachrinos

That's pretty much the wording that ARRL used on its web site and in the weekly newsletter.

FT8 Mode is Latest Bright Shiny Object in Amateur Radio Digital World

http://www.arrl.org/news/ft8-mode-is-latest-bright-shiny-object-in-amateur-radio-digital-world

Frankly, I think it's kind of perjorative. Next thing you know, someone will say that "digital operators are easily distrac--Squirrel!"

Steve
W3HF

-----Original Message-----
To: 070 <070@...>
Sent: Sun, Aug 6, 2017 6:09 pm
Subject: Re: [070] Re: FT8

jerry   n9avy

KT4EP

Steve VA3FLF/KM4FLF

I have tried it out the last couple of weeks. There is something odd about putting your software on automatic mode and letting it do all the work for you. Then in less than a minute, the whole QSO is over.....no analogies please !!!!

At least with JT65 and 9 you can enjoy a cup of coffee in between. Nothing beats PSK for me. It's nice to get a DX contact, but it means more to actually have a QSO. 

It's something new and that's what ham radio is all about. But when it is all said and done, we still have AM, CW, SSB, etc. Some modes have proven their worth over the years. 

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 6, 2017, at 14:09, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

jerry   n9avy

KT4EP

Actually, an FT8 qso takes a minute and a half...but I agree.  I played with it for a couple days and I think I'm done with it. 

Mike
WM4B

On Aug 6, 2017 2:33 PM, "Steve P oldjavadrinker@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

I have tried it out the last couple of weeks. There is something odd about putting your software on automatic mode and letting it do all the work for you. Then in less than a minute, the whole QSO is over.....no analogies please !!!!

At least with JT65 and 9 you can enjoy a cup of coffee in between. Nothing beats PSK for me. It's nice to get a DX contact, but it means more to actually have a QSO. 

It's something new and that's what ham radio is all about. But when it is all said and done, we still have AM, CW, SSB, etc. Some modes have proven their worth over the years. 

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 6, 2017, at 14:09, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

jerry   n9avy

KT4EP

boat.anchor@...

Might be shiny - might be new - it sure does work these days.

PSK31 on 20M calling CQ for 2hrs netted 1 contact.
FT8 you need a big stick to keep the callers at bay.

GL de Barry

---In 070@..., <n9avy@...> wrote :

jerry   n9avy

KT4EP

Jerry N9AVY

Sounds like a new radio from Yaesu !     

Jerry    n9avy 

Sent: Sunday, August 6, 2017 6:25 PM
Subject: Re: [070] Re: FT8

Might be shiny - might be new - it sure does work these days.

PSK31 on 20M calling CQ for 2hrs netted 1 contact.
FT8 you need a big stick to keep the callers at bay.

GL de Barry

---In 070@..., wrote :

jerry   n9avy

KT4EP