73,

Mike

WM4B

Have you tried PSK Express by N7YG ?

Jerry  N9AVY

From: "'Mike Besemer' mwbesemer@... [070]" <070@...>
To: 070@...
Sent: Sunday, July 30, 2017 10:20 AM
Subject: [070] PSK31 Software

Good morning all,
I hesitate to ask because I don’t want to start a ‘Ford vs. Chevy’ discussion… but I’m going to ask anyway.
After being off the air for a few years, I’m back on and having fun.  I had always used Digipan before, but it refuses to run on my Windows 10 machine.  I’ve downloaded a bunch of different software for a test drive, and frankly, I miss the look and simplicity of Digipan!
My favorite features were the ability to decode multiple streams and the automatic recognition of a ‘CQ’ on the waterfall.
What’s your favorite software that has these features and why is it your favorite?  FWIW, I do NOT like HRD/DM780, and I’m NOT going to change my computer or OS.  I’m a guy who lives in front of a computer 10 hours a day 5 days a week, so I just want software that WORKS.
73,
Mike
WM4B

Stephen Melachrinos

> ... I had always used Digipan before, but it refuses to run on my Windows 10 machine. ...

Mike -

My condolences, but I'm surprised. I've managed to keep my copy of DP 2.0 running from Win95 through XP and Win7 up into Win8.
Reaffirms my decision to avoid the Win10 upgrade last year.

P.S. I don't have a suggestion because I am still running DP 2.0

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

Actually Steve… I think (working from memory – which is always dangerous) it will run, but it crashes pretty often when the multi RX window is open.  I played with it for a while and gave up.

Someone else mentioned Airlink Express.  I was using that for a while but moved on… can’t remember why.  (I think I see a theme here – need to take notes!) Regardless, I’m going to give it a try again today.

PSK Express is also installed and I tried it for a while, but it started crashing.  Maybe I’ll try to uninstall/reinstall.

73,

Mike

WM4B

> ... I had always used Digipan before, but it refuses to run on my Windows 10 machine. ...

Mike -

My condolences, but I'm surprised. I've managed to keep my copy of DP 2.0 running from Win95 through XP and Win7 up into Win8.

Reaffirms my decision to avoid the Win10 upgrade last year.

P.S. I don't have a suggestion because I am still running DP 2.0

Visit Your Group

·         New Members 1

Jeff Steinkamp

Try the latest version of PSK Express and if it crashes, send me the crash stack trace.  If it  has been a while since you have used that, then delete the folder c:\ProgramData\pskexpress and C:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Roaming\PSKExpress\pskexpress.xml if that file exists. before installing the full install.

Jeff K. Steinkamp (N7YG)
Tucson, AZ
Scud Missile Coordinates
N32.2319 W110.8477
On 7/30/2017 11:48, 'Mike Besemer' mwbesemer@... [070] wrote:

Actually Steve… I think (working from memory – which is always dangerous) it will run, but it crashes pretty often when the multi RX window is open.  I played with it for a while and gave up.

Someone else mentioned Airlink Express.  I was using that for a while but moved on… can’t remember why.  (I think I see a theme here – need to take notes!) Regardless, I’m going to give it a try again today.

PSK Express is also installed and I tried it for a while, but it started crashing.  Maybe I’ll try to uninstall/reinstall.

73,

Mike

WM4B

> ... I had always used Digipan before, but it refuses to run on my Windows 10 machine. ...

Mike -

My condolences, but I'm surprised. I've managed to keep my copy of DP 2.0 running from Win95 through XP and Win7 up into Win8.

Reaffirms my decision to avoid the Win10 upgrade last year.

P.S. I don't have a suggestion because I am still running DP 2.0

Visit Your Group

·         New Members 1

Randy True

My favorite id DM780 (HRD). For me it was the easiest to get up and running and I like HRD Logbook.

Randy W4RTT

> ... I had always used Digipan before, but it refuses to run on my Windows 10 machine. ...

Mike -

My condolences, but I'm surprised. I've managed to keep my copy of DP 2.0 running from Win95 through XP and Win7 up into Win8.

Reaffirms my decision to avoid the Win10 upgrade last year.

P.S. I don't have a suggestion because I am still running DP 2.0

Visit Your Group

·         New Members 1

Radio <radio@...>

I am also someone who also started with Digipan and didn’t like DM780.

I will tell you that after running MixW for a while and then seeing some screenshots of what some ops had done to customize DM780, I tried it again.  After a lot of tweeks, I completely changed my mind about DM780 and now I am loathe to use anything else.

Another country heard from,

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

On Jul 30, 2017, at 8:20 AM, 'Mike Besemer' mwbesemer@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Flowers

I also came to HRD DM-780 via the MixW route.  DM-780 does a great job for me with the digimodes, RTTY and CW.

It's got some issues, but basically it's a solid performer here.

-- Mike Flowers, K6MKF, NCDXC - "It's about DX!"

[...]

I don’t know about you, Mike, but I always really liked the look of the waterfall in Digipan.  The default waterfall settings in DM780 I thought were abysmal.  It took quite a bit of tweaking for me to get that nice Digipan look.  The cool thing about DM780 is that it is very customizable.

Recently I was compelled to us Fldigi for Field Day.  I am not a fan.  For one thing I never could get the “center” frequency to work via the various machine controls.  That was a deal-breaker for me.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

On Jul 31, 2017, at 9:09 AM, Mike Flowers mike.flowers@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

I also came to HRD DM-780 via the MixW route.  DM-780 does a great job for me with the digimodes, RTTY and CW.

It's got some issues, but basically it's a solid performer here.

-- Mike Flowers, K6MKF, NCDXC - "It's about DX!"

mwbesemer@...

Jerry N9AVY

" ... Butters your toast .. Rotates your tires... "

That's an upcoming HRD upgrade  !  😄

Sent from my iPhone

On 31 Jul 2017, at 12:34, "mwbesemer@... [070]" <070@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Totally agree, Eric.  That waterfall is the best I've ever seen... and I've looked at a lot of the software that's out there today.  I wish some of the other authors would put some time and effort into emulating the Digipan waterfall and get rid of the washed-out, out-of-focus looking waterfalls.

I really don't want a piece of software that butters my toast and rotates my tires... I want a piece of software that does what Digipan did... and does it well.

Looking at PSKExpress again now... got it reinstalled last night and am very hopeful.

Mike
WM4B

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 1:27 PM, Radio radio@... [070] wrote:

[...]

I thought the OP said he didn't like HRD..  :)

Digpan still works!

73 Buddy WB4M

On 7/31/2017 2:57 PM, Jerry Heien n9avy@... [070] wrote:

[...]

We all tend to like what we like.  Being retired, I have the time to fiddle around with software and I take it as a challenge to figure it out.

At the end of the day, it’s ‘Can you get the Qs into the log?”   If your software does that, then it’s all good.

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, Past President - NCDXC

I don’t know about you, Mike, but I always really liked the look of the waterfall in Digipan.  The default waterfall settings in DM780 I thought were abysmal.  It took quite a bit of tweaking for me to get that nice Digipan look.  The cool thing about DM780 is that it is very customizable.

Recently I was compelled to us Fldigi for Field Day.  I am not a fan.  For one thing I never could get the “center” frequency to work via the various machine controls.  That was a deal-breaker for me.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

On Jul 31, 2017, at 9:09 AM, Mike Flowers mike.flowers@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

I also came to HRD DM-780 via the MixW route.  DM-780 does a great job for me with the digimodes, RTTY and CW.

It's got some issues, but basically it's a solid performer here.

-- Mike Flowers, K6MKF, NCDXC - "It's about DX!"

ljl2002@att.net

But will any of them make a cup of hot coffee first thing in the morning??????

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

[...]

No, but my wife will.  And she’ll bring a beer and makes a killer margarita too!

73,

Mike

WM4B

I don’t know about you, Mike, but I always really liked the look of the waterfall in Digipan.  The default waterfall settings in DM780 I thought were abysmal.  It took quite a bit of tweaking for me to get that nice Digipan look.  The cool thing about DM780 is that it is very customizable.

Recently I was compelled to us Fldigi for Field Day.  I am not a fan.  For one thing I never could get the “center” frequency to work via the various machine controls.  That was a deal-breaker for me.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

On Jul 31, 2017, at 9:09 AM, Mike Flowers mike.flowers@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

I also came to HRD DM-780 via the MixW route.  DM-780 does a great job for me with the digimodes, RTTY and CW.

It's got some issues, but basically it's a solid performer here.

-- Mike Flowers, K6MKF, NCDXC - "It's about DX!"

W7RIV

Mike...I prefer Dodge...though I do drive a GMC. I've never owned a Ford. =)

When I started a couple years ago I started with Ham Radio Deluxe. I liked it, I really liked the interface. I thought it was clean and modern. Some of the older ones I just really cannot stand the look. I've tried a bunch and didn't care for them. Once HRD went to a more pay system, I moved to DXLab Suite and I've really liked using WinWarbler. So many options, maybe too many. I intend on trying some of the new software that was mentioned in this post.

Thanks,
Bryon, W7RIV

Jerry N9AVY

Bryon:

You're on the right track... play with all the software until you find one YOU like and works for you !

That what many of us have done.

Jerry  N9AVY

Mike...I prefer Dodge...though I do drive a GMC. I've never owned a Ford. =)

When I started a couple years ago I started with Ham Radio Deluxe. I liked it, I really liked the interface. I thought it was clean and modern. Some of the older ones I just really cannot stand the look. I've tried a bunch and didn't care for them. Once HRD went to a more pay system, I moved to DXLab Suite and I've really liked using WinWarbler. So many options, maybe too many. I intend on trying some of the new software that was mentioned in this post.

Thanks,
Bryon, W7RIV

boat.anchor@...

Mike

You beat me to it.
My wife makes the coffee when she gets up early to warm up the rig for me.
Barry

---In 070@..., <mwbesemer@...> wrote :

No, but my wife will.  And she’ll bring a beer and makes a killer margarita too!

73,

Mike

WM4B

But will any of them make a cup of hot coffee first thing in the morning??????

Joe

KA1PPV  #1482

ljl2002@att.net

Mike,