That Windom [

F.R. Ashley

My brother in law has a Phantom 3 drone and is a master at flying it.  I had him fly a line over a tree too!  He also "measured" the heights of some of my trees my hovering the drone just slightly above the tree.
I had previously bought a cheap compound bow and taped a 1/2 oz weight to one of the arrows and can hit limbs up to around 75 feet.  To get higher I'd need a stronger bow.  I just lost my OCF dipole in storm so will get in more archery practice, hi

73 Buddy WB4M

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 8:20 AM, Jim Innis jinnis@... [070] wrote:

You have lots of trees  and space. 

If you want to get it higher up and place it where you want it, try     this:

Recently my wire came down in a storm it had broken off at the     insulator.  So instead of messing with the slingshot, bow and arrow     that I have used in the past, called my grandson and had him bring     his drone over.  Tied some light fishing line to the drone and end     of antenna.  Flew drone up and over the tree, pulled antenna up via     the fishing line and then tied it off.

Worked like a charm, and now have the antenna up in the highest part     of the tree.

Jim, K5SP

mwbesemer@...

Jerry N9AVY

Mike:

Thought I save a set of plans for building an air-powered antenna launcher  that used a tennis ball (far less destructive that a sinker),  but as usual can't find it.   Thought about building one and remember a friend bought one at Dayton a few years ago for $59 and said it was better than slingshot, fishing pole and spud gun. It might be somewhere on the net.

Jerry   n9avy

To: 070@...
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 12:24 PM
Subject: Re: [070] Re: That Windom [

I'm a master at 'hitting' limbs with a slingshot and a couple of sinkers.  I'm much less talented at getting the sinkers to go OVER the branch.

It's amazing how fast those sinkers will come back at you - DIRECTLY back at you - after hitting a limb.

Mike
WM4B

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 11:09 AM, 'F.R. Ashley' gdadx2@... [070] wrote:

I had previously bought a cheap compound bow and taped a 1/2 oz weight to one of the arrows and can hit limbs up to around 75 feet.

73 Buddy WB4M  

Randy True

Invest in some PVC and you can pick a reel up at a yard sale. The air launchers really do work. I have short trees, but 100" is realistic.

Randy W4RTT

From: 070@... <070@...> on behalf of mwbesemer@... [070] <070@...>
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 1:16 PM

I'm a master at 'hitting' limbs with a slingshot and a couple of sinkers.  I'm much less talented at getting the sinkers to go OVER the branch.

It's amazing how fast those sinkers will come back at you - DIRECTLY back at you - after hitting a limb.

Mike
WM4B

I had previously bought a cheap compound bow and taped a 1/2 oz weight to one of the arrows and can hit limbs up to around 75 feet.

73 Buddy WB4M  

Bill Williams

My skill is to wrap the line around the branch five times.  I have several sets of weights hanging in the oaks in my back yard ;-)

Bill
AG4QX

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 12:16 PM, mwbesemer@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Mike
WM4B

73 Buddy WB4M  

F.R. Ashley

I still have 2 aluminum shaft arrows in one tree, they've been up there 10 years or more. Birds just love their fancy perches, lol.

73 Buddy WB4M

On 7/25/2017 2:33 PM, Bill Williams ag4qx@... [070] wrote:

My skill is to wrap the line around the branch five times.  I have several sets of weights hanging in the oaks in my back yard ;-)

Bill
AG4QX

Mike
WM4B

73 Buddy WB4M  

Randy True

This isn't mine, but very close.One hint; make the barrel out of 1 1/4. This way you can make projectiles out of short lengths of 1" PVC with end caps. They make a nice fit in the 1 1/4. Put some pennies in the projectile to give it some weight, about an ounce, and put an eye bolt in one end. 40lbs of pressure will put it over a 40' tree. Use some cheap bulk 20lb test line. Some say 2lb is OK, but you WILL break lighter line.

Image result for pneumatic antenna launcher pictures

Randy W4RTT

From: 070@... <070@...> on behalf of Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...>
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 2:01 PM

Mike:

Thought I save a set of plans for building an air-powered antenna launcher  that used a tennis ball (far less destructive that a sinker),  but as usual can't find it.   Thought about building one and remember a friend bought one at Dayton a few years ago for $59 and said it was better than slingshot, fishing pole and spud gun. It might be somewhere on the net.

Jerry   n9avy

Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 12:24 PM

Mike
WM4B

73 Buddy WB4M  

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

I live in an area filled with pine and oak.  During the summer, nothing short of a cannonball will get through.

I build and air launcher and it works fine in the fall. In the summertime it’s pretty much useless.

A drone won’t be any better (or at least not much) but I want one anyway!

Mike

WM4B

Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 2:19 PM

Invest in some PVC and you can pick a reel up at a yard sale. The air launchers really do work. I have short trees, but 100" is realistic.

Randy W4RTT

From: 070@... <070@...> on behalf of mwbesemer@... [070] <070@...>
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 1:16 PM

Mike

WM4B

73 Buddy WB4M  

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

Been there – done that.  I also hit my son with a slingshot launch – and he was standing directly behind me.

Mike

WM4B

Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 2:34 PM
To: 070

Bill

AG4QX

Mike

WM4B

73 Buddy WB4M