MACRO's

Jon Greene - wx5nco <wx5nco@...>

Good morning all,

While the bands are dead this morning, I'm fixing my macros.  Question for the group.  When starting (answering) a QSO, how many times do you call their call and your call.. for example, do you do one of the following?

1.  de
2.  de
or 3.  de

Years ago, when I was active, I'd do #3.  HRD shows #2 and thats what I've done lately.  But I see #1 being shown in the beginners guide to PSK web site.

Thoughts??

73
Jon Greene WX5NCO
Tulsa, Oklahoma EM26
070 - 592
30DMC - 1233
DMC - 741
EPC - 5134
1010 - 74420

Jon Greene - wx5nco <wx5nco@...>

Part 2 of MACRO questions.

In the RSQ report, do any of you care about the IMD or S/N report?  I've worked some that gave it, but is it useful?
Jon

73
Jon Greene WX5NCO
Tulsa, Oklahoma EM26
070 - 592
30DMC - 1233
DMC - 741
EPC - 5134
1010 - 74420

On Saturday, July 22, 2017, 10:47:18 AM CDT, Jon Greene - wx5nco wx5nco@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Good morning all,

While the bands are dead this morning, I'm fixing my macros.  Question for the group.  When starting (answering) a QSO, how many times do you call their call and your call.. for example, do you do one of the following?

1.  de
2. <CALL>  de
or 3.  de

Years ago, when I was active, I'd do #3.  HRD shows #2 and thats what I've done lately.  But I see #1 being shown in the beginners guide to PSK web site.

Thoughts??

73
Jon Greene WX5NCO
Tulsa, Oklahoma EM26
070 - 592
30DMC - 1233
DMC - 741
EPC - 5134
1010 - 74420

Steve W3HF

1a. If I'm answering a CQ, I will typically use a 1x4 -- my standard 1x1 macro followed by an "ID 3" macro.
1b. If I'm replying to someone who has responded to my CQ, I will use a 1x1 unless he hasn't copied my call correctly. Then I'd use a 1x4 as above. And I won't start the QSO itself until he copies my call correctly.
1c. During the QSO, it's only a 1x1. Anything else is a waste of time.

2. IMD and SNR are useless IMO. The way the software calculates IMD it's not correct unless the SNR is very high. And SNR is only useful to the receiving station, not the transmitter. So please do not put/leave them in your macros.

Radio <radio@...>

Hi Jon,

I keep several handy depending on conditions.  I usually start with de and only go to the longer versions in tough conditions.

HTH,

73 de Eric KH6MZS

On Jul 22, 2017, at 8:42 AM, Jon Greene - wx5nco wx5nco@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Good morning all,

While the bands are dead this morning, I'm fixing my macros.  Question for the group.  When starting (answering) a QSO, how many times do you call their call and your call.. for example, do you do one of the following?

1.  de
2. <CALL>  de
or 3.  de <MYCALL>

Years ago, when I was active, I'd do #3.  HRD shows #2 and thats what I've done lately.  But I see #1 being shown in the beginners guide to PSK web site.

Thoughts??

73
Jon Greene WX5NCO
Tulsa, Oklahoma EM26
070 - 592
30DMC - 1233
DMC - 741
EPC - 5134
1010 - 74420

Jerry N9AVY

Hi Jon !

When responding to a CQ, I usually do    de    .  He already knows his own call so doing it more than once might be redundant.  My own call I will give twice in case he has QSB or doesn't get it the first pass.  But this is subject  and most do what works  for them.

When calling CQ , I use auto CQ which is  2 rounds of  3 CQ's and 3 de my call.   It also repeats  itself every 20=30 seconds so I can be doing other things.

I haven't found IMD & S/N reports useful.  As long as I can hear the other station I'm happy.  Have worked a lot of station where copying signal was so rough  I had to resort  to picking out bits and pieces to get a full call sign, but a contact was made.   My thoughts on IMD & S/N  reports is that they are the PSK  equivalent of "um"  and  "er"  or the telegraphic  version of .-.-.-. , just to fill space,  IMHO.

Jerry   N9AVY  #454

[...]

Bill Garwood

Agree with Steve.  No IMD etc.

Do not send me my call over and over, I already know who I am.  Send your call and my call 1 time once the qso is underway.  If I need it, I will ask you to repeat anything that is missing.

Happy Radio!

Bill. N4GBK in NC

1a. If I'm answering a CQ, I will typically use a 1x4 -- my standard 1x1 macro followed by an "ID 3" macro.

1b. If I'm replying to someone who has responded to my CQ, I will use a 1x1 unless he hasn't copied my call correctly. Then I'd use a 1x4 as above. And I won't start the QSO itself until he copies my call correctly.
1c. During the QSO, it's only a 1x1. Anything else is a waste of time.

2. IMD and SNR are useless IMO. The way the software calculates IMD it's not correct unless the SNR is very high. And SNR is only useful to the receiving station, not the transmitter. So please do not put/leave them in your macros.

Justin Mattes--KC2GIK

Actually the name of game is to make initial contact as quick as possible
so I would drop the caller's callsign either once maybe twice then drop my
callsign three times
they know their own callsign, it's your callsign they're trying to get

Justin KC2GIK

Good morning all,
While the bands are dead this morning, I'm fixing my macros.  Question
for the group.  When starting (answering) a QSO, how many times do you
call their call and your call.. for example, do you do one of the
following?
1. <CALL> <CALL> <CALL> de <MYCALL> <MYCALL> <MYCALL>2. <CALL>
<CALL> de <MYCALL> <MYCALL>
or 3. <CALL> de <MYCALL>
Years ago, when I was active, I'd do #3.  HRD shows #2 and thats what
I've done lately.  But I see #1 being shown in the beginners guide to PSK
web site.
Thoughts??

73Jon Greene WX5NCO
Tulsa, Oklahoma EM26
070 - 592
30DMC - 1233
DMC - 741
EPC - 5134
1010 - 74420

Bill Williams

I have four macros and have used all four.  One has calls once, two have calls twice, three has the called station twice and my call three times and the fourth macro is my call only  repeated four times for when none of the others have worked.   If the calling station cannot figure our my call from all that then the QSO is done.     If comm is good then once works fine.

Bill
AG4QX
# 0398

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 10:42 AM, Jon Greene - wx5nco wx5nco@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Good morning all,

While the bands are dead this morning, I'm fixing my macros.  Question for the group.  When starting (answering) a QSO, how many times do you call their call and your call.. for example, do you do one of the following?

1.  de
2.  de <MYCALL>
or 3.  de &lt ;MYCALL>

Years ago, when I was active, I'd do #3.  HRD shows #2 and thats what I've done lately.  But I see #1 being shown in the beginners guide to PSK web site.

Thoughts??

73
Jon Greene WX5NCO
Tulsa, Oklahoma EM26
070 - 592
30DMC - 1233
DMC - 741
EPC - 5134
1010 - 74420

Bill Williams

I don't want it.  It depends on conditions and the receiving station too much to be indicative of my transmission quality.

Bill
AG4QX

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Jon Greene - wx5nco wx5nco@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Marty Grove

I have set my macro's up a couple of different ways...

For casual QSO's I usually reply with two of my callsigns:  de k

For contests I reply with a single return of my call:   de k

You can always hit the reply macro again if you don't get a reply from the other station.

If calling CQ you might want to send your call sign a few times.... maybe three times.  Gives other stations a bit of time to tune to your freq.

Marty - KJ4LQX

On 07/22/2017 11:42 AM, Jon Greene - wx5nco wx5nco@... [070] wrote:

[...]

All,
Thanks for the input!  I think I have all my macro's fixed.  I deleted a LOT of them and modified most of the rest.  Now, that I have the day off, I sit here and don't see a PSK31 singnal anywhere.  I don't even see the propnet signals.  JT65 is real light this morning as well.

73
Jon Greene WX5NCO
Tulsa, Oklahoma EM26
070 - 592
30DMC - 1233
DMC - 741
EPC - 5134
1010 - 74420

[...]

boat.anchor@...

Jon

In my opinion this is wasted bandwidth that could be spent on meaningful info exchanges.
IMD should always be measured at the transmitter and I highly recommend acquiring a PSK meter.
Yes I use one.

If I am in a nasty mood and someone sends me IMD rpt I will thank him for the rpt and ask him to please explain what the number means, how he measured it, is it good or bad, and what can I do to improve it.
Normal reply is 73.

I applaud those that wrote the software that we all enjoy on a daily basis but have failed to see why they included this in the package.

rant over
Barry

---In 070@..., <wx5nco@...> wrote :

Part 2 of MACRO questions.

In the RSQ report, do any of you care about the IMD or S/N report?  I've worked some that gave it, but is it useful?
Jon

73
Jon Greene WX5NCO
Tulsa, Oklahoma EM26
070 - 592
30DMC - 1233
DMC - 741
EPC - 5134
1010 - 74420

Dan Morris - KZ3T

I personally send their call 1 time and mine twice:   DE <MYCALL> k

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On Jul 22, 2017, at 11:42 AM, Jon Greene - wx5nco wx5nco@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

Good point, Marty.  For contests the shorter the better to start out.

73 de Eric KG6MZS

On Jul 22, 2017, at 9:21 AM, Marty martygrove@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

For contests I reply with a single return of my call:   de k

Randy True

If you want to make use of PSK Reporter as in DM780, you have to give your call 3 times.

Randy W4RTT