Topics

PODXS Net???

Marty Grove

So… we have something like 2000+ members in PODXS now… what do you all think about getting some kind of informal net started?

It would be nice to start getting all of you in my log.

??

Marty – KJ4LQX

David, K9DWR

On Jul 20, 2017, at 17:41, 'Marty Grove' martygrove@gmail.com [070] <070@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

So… we have something like 2000+ members in PODXS now… what do you all think about getting some kind of informal net started?
That brings up an interesting question I’ve had for a while.. how do you run a net over PSK31? Is it workable?

David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

Randy True

ABSOLUTELY!

Randy W4RTT

So… we have something like 2000+ members in PODXS now… what do you all think about getting some kind of informal net started?

It would be nice to start getting all of you in my log.

??

Marty – KJ4LQX

Randy True

The 3905 Century club has a couple PSK31 net. Netlogger is used as a coordination tool and it has a built in chat program. They take checkins over PSK and take turns just like a regular net.

Randy W4RTT

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

Jerry N9AVY

There is a net on the low end of 20m. Heard it a couple times.  From what I've heard, it sounds a bit like organized  chaos.  Heard people trying to hold frequency when some started calling CQ on "their frequency" or propagation shifted and others on net couldn't any longer.

Used to operate a few nets on 10m and then it took a net control ( NC) with a lot of patience and skill. 10-10 nets are sometimes run with assistant NC operators in different areas of country. Propagation lately might make nets very difficult. With many undisciplined PSK  operator these days,  running a net would be challenging at best.

My dos centavos worth ..

Jerry  N9AVY

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

Bill Garwood

I have seen other nets on PSK31.  Might be something to do on some kind of rotating schedule on 20 and 40 meters.  My first question would be what is the purpose of this net?  If it is to allow a person to work as many different 070 members as possible, then only short contest like contacts should be encouraged.  Want to ragchew?  Then make a call and move to a different frequency from the net freq.   Would you encourage guests to participate, such as folks trying to join the club?  Needs to be thought out a bit but could work.  Maybe move to 30 meters once a month for those working on the 30-30 award etc.  I don’t think this would violate the gentlemen’s agreement for no contests on WARC bands.   Does not need to be in the middle of the regular PSK31 operations.  Maybe 14.072 and up or similar.

Happy Radio!

Bill N4GBK #1688

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

Dan Morris - KZ3T

I think a PODXS net would be awesome and possibly Net Logger would be a good program to use as it keeps track of everything.  If anyone is a OMISS member, you will probably be familiar with that program.

Dan Morris  KZ3T

On Jul 20, 2017, at 6:41 PM, 'Marty Grove' martygrove@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

So… we have something like 2000+ members in PODXS now… what do you all think about getting some kind of informal net started?

It would be nice to start getting all of you in my log.

??

Marty – KJ4LQX

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Bill - It can run just like the OMISS net runs.  People check it and then when it is your turn you call anyone you want but you are limited to either 1 or 2 calls the first time around to keep it short and sweet.  And using Net Logger is an excellent tool.

I have also checked in to a 40m net which meets every 2nd Monday of the month.

Dan Morris  KZ3T

On Jul 20, 2017, at 7:40 PM, Bill Garwood n4gbk@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

<187069C157674EB39D0F757A34A7D4F7.png>

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

<56FBA3A9CCD741B59FCCEE1FBB56BEB7.png>

ki4vmk@...

Sounds good to me

KI4VMK

Marty Grove

I hadn't thought about Net Logger or something similar (good idea Dan, KZ3T).

I started kicking the idea around a couple weeks ago after stumbling on to an informal Contestia net in which I joined in.  It appears they were conducting their net the ol' fashion way; net control called for members first using call prefixes, then calling for non-members by prefix.  Stations signing in to the net would notify net control if they had priority traffic or not.  Then net control would repeat all the logged calls and then go through the entire call list, starting with any priority traffic and give each person an opportunity to say something.  Some people used their time to log a contact with someone else on the net (call sign & signal report exchange) if they didn't have that station in their log.  Others would simply say something about their selves (recent interesting contacts, local weather, still breathing... that sort of thing).

Due to current conditions it might be a good idea to have a couple "net controllers", one station west and one station east of the Mississippi for relays that can hear each other.

Anyway, just thought i'd toss the idea out there.  It seems there is some interest in it and it might give other digital users an opportunity to find PODXS via radio and join the club.

Marty - KJ4LQX

On 07/21/2017 07:22 AM, ki4vmk@... [070] wrote:

Sounds good to me

KI4VMK

DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381

This sounds like a great idea.  I'm in.  Do I need NetLogger?

David Hardy
KB3RAN

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Well, no body really needs Net Logger except for the Net Control Stations.  I believe the initial setup is what might take quite a while as someone would have to try and get most of the regulars in somewhat of a database, so when that person checks in, all his information will pop up on the Logger.  Now, those that download the Logger and use it, you will see everyone that has checked in and it is color coded as to whether they have checked out or who is up for making calls.  that way you know exactly where you stand and when your turn will be.   It really is a very neat little program.

I use it when I check in to the OMISS nets and sometimes there are up to 50 - 70 checkins on any one net!!!   Needless to say those nets can run for several hours!!!

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On Jul 21, 2017, at 10:18 AM, David Hardy davehardy0101@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

This sounds like a great idea.  I'm in.  Do I need NetLogger?

David Hardy
KB3RAN

Marty Grove

Dan,

I downloaded NetLogger and took a look at it.  I haven't used that software in several years (way back when I was participating in the OMISS nets) and it is a LOT different than I remember.  I remembered it being more DOS-like in the past.  The new revisions are impressive.

I have no idea on how to set it up for a particular net and operating it at a net controller.  Do you have any familiarity with that?

Marty - KJ4LQX

On 07/21/2017 02:58 PM, Dan Morris dbmorris315@... [070] wrote:

[...]

Chris M <n9jca.chris@...>

R T B M

Read The ( ??????? ) Manual
It's amazing how many people DON'T
Read the ??????? Manual
Sorry for the smart remark
Geeez
Chris N9JCA #797

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 11:30 AM Marty martygrove@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

David Westphalen <n4dlt@...>

Its very easy. I use it daily for my nets I run.

De N4DLT

[...]

Very true.   After 47 years in service end I've found there are times when RTM in necessary .  Happened to me the other day at one of my customers.  There was a weird message on display and I did  everything I knew and went to car for manual... couldn't find a thing about solving problem.  In desperation I called manufacturer's tech support which ran me through all the programming and he was stymied too.  Finally he said to drop power, both AC & battery.  That cleared the problem.  It was last thing I would have thought of, but my job is to find a  fix quickly  and not run  up the billable hours.

When your stuck on something it's always good to RTFM  ... Read The Flaming Manual !

Jerry  N9AVY

[...]

Not really Marty.  I’ve only used it as a end user.  However, I believe I did try a dummy net one time for the 10-10 net but don’t think they are responsive to that at all.   So, I left it alone.   My suggestion would be to find one of the OMISS net controllers and pick their brain as to how to set up a new net, etc.

I would be willing to help as much as possible though.

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!