Today's Funny Story

Steve VA3FLF/KM4FLF

Since I moved up here to Canada I have been operating in sort of a temporary set up. Shack in a bedroom and a dipole stuck up on a wooden fence about 8 feet high.I have logged on my /VE3 call well over 700 QSO's in the year I have been up here with 98% being digital.

So as the bands have faded in recent weeks I began wondering if I was having antenna issues. Every ham I meet up here when they see or hear about my set up say, no wonder you cant get out, your antenna is just too low, Your patterns are all out of whack, you need to get higher up, etc.  I have no trees in back so I am looking to get a small tower or something in the next few weeks, but that is another story.

I get adventurous and climb the roof of the house yesterday and string me up another 20M dipole along the top.  I put it place with blocks and angle it well.  I climb down the roof in great anticipation of hearing the world just open up to me. I think, man there will be traces all over the waterfall.

I turn on rig, hook up antenna tune her up and walla...a slight trace or two, I switched back and forth between antennas and guess what...no difference. Disappointed in my findings I go disconnect everything on the new antenna and hook back up to my fence post dipole.

A little bit later I see a DX trace...and I work OD5KU, Lebanon, with 599 both ways. There is no way you can get out with that antenna....haha.  Moral of the story, when the bands are dead they are dead, when they work well you get my drift.

Steve
VA3FLF
KM4FLF
2301

Paula K7PAX #1739

Love that story!

Paula K7PAX #1739

On Jul 20, 2017, at 6:57 AM, oldjavadrinker@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

[...]

ljl2002@att.net

Steve,

Great catch!  I've seen him at my QTH but no joy here.

I was blown away when I reached Australia on long path.  I was on 20m using a vertical on the roof with 1.5 watts.
As you said, "when it's in it's in!  Ya gotta love this mode!

73  GDX!!
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Thursday, July 20, 2017 12:36 PM, "Paula Johnson hamette@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

[...]

boat.anchor@...

Joe

When using a vertical how do you determine if your contact is long path or short path.

TVM
Barry

---In 070@..., <joe_molon@...> wrote :

Steve,

Great catch!  I've seen him at my QTH but no joy here.

I was blown away when I reached Australia on long path.  I was on 20m using a vertical on the roof with 1.5 watts.
As you said, "when it's in it's in!  Ya gotta love this mode!

73  GDX!!
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482
Virus-free. www.avast.com

Jerry N9AVY

Rotate the vertical, of course !

Jerry  N9AVY

---In 070@..., wrote :

Steve,

Great catch!  I've seen him at my QTH but no joy here.

I was blown away when I reached Australia on long path.  I was on 20m using a vertical on the roof with 1.5 watts.
As you said, "when it's in it's in!  Ya gotta love this mode!

73  GDX!!
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482
altVirus-free. www.avast.com

Rick - N7WE

I've worked the same VK6 in far western Australia, near Perth, twice using PSK31 on my vertical.  Once he said it was long path based on his beam heading.  I'll take his word for it as I'm not sure there is such a thing as "short path" from here to there.  11,356 miles one way, 13,545 miles the other.  599 both ways, both times.  When the pipe is open, the pipe is open!

ljl2002@att.net

Barry,

I asked him.  I had made several contacts there in the weeks before including him (VK3BM).  The mornings we talked with his beam oriented toward Europe and I also was able to work Reunion Island at the same time. Later on he said that he swung it around and came across the Pacific. I googled his QTH and immediately understood why we had the QSO.  The beam antenna on his tower was bigger than his house.

I was curious as to why I got him both times that is why I asked.   I did the same thing with a station near Adeleide too.

When the prop is in, it is in even for qrp stations.  Sure do miss those days though.  Haven't had contact with the Aussie's in quite a while now.

Jerry I tried to rotate the vertical but nothing changed???????  Maybe I should mount it upside down but then I would have to operate prq. Ya had to go there didn't ya.

73
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

---In 070@..., wrote :

Steve,

Great catch!  I've seen him at my QTH but no joy here.

I was blown away when I reached Australia on long path.  I was on 20m using a vertical on the roof with 1.5 watts.
As you said, "when it's in it's in!  Ya gotta love this mode!

73  GDX!!
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482
altVirus-free. www.avast.com

Jerry N9AVY

Joe:

The "trick" with vertical is to count them a few degrees from true vertical  and that'll give  you a different directional pattern.

Found this tidbit in the Ham Radio Operators Guide to Old wives Tales and Other Myths .

jerry  N9AVY

When using a vertical how do you determine if your contact is long path or short path.

TVM
Barry

---In 070@...,
Steve,

Great catch!  I've seen him at my QTH but no joy here.

I was blown away when I reached Australia on long path.  I was on 20m using a vertical on the roof with 1.5 watts.
As you said, "when it's in it's in!  Ya gotta love this mode!

73  GDX!!
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482
altVirus-free. www.avast.com

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

No, no.  If you want to work across the equater, you turn it upside down.  If you want to work the opposite hemisphere, you turn it sideways.

Mike
WM4B

---In 070@..., <joe_molon@...> wrote :

Steve,

Great catch!  I've seen him at my QTH but no joy here.

I was blown away when I reached Australia on long path.  I was on 20m using a vertical on the roof with 1.5 watts.
As you said, "when it's in it's in!  Ya gotta love this mode!

73  GDX!!
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482
altVirus-free. www.avast.com

Randy True

So, you could put your vertical on a tilt base and have a directional vertical?

Randy W4RTT

---In 070@..., wrote :

Steve,

Great catch!  I've seen him at my QTH but no joy here.

I was blown away when I reached Australia on long path.  I was on 20m using a vertical on the roof with 1.5 watts.
As you said, "when it's in it's in!  Ya gotta love this mode!

73  GDX!!
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482
alt Virus-free. www.avast.com

Jerry N9AVY

... and if you want to work /mm  stations put antenna is a barrel of water !

---In 070@..., wrote :

Steve,

Great catch!  I've seen him at my QTH but no joy here.

I was blown away when I reached Australia on long path.  I was on 20m using a vertical on the roof with 1.5 watts.
As you said, "when it's in it's in!  Ya gotta love this mode!

73  GDX!!
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482
altVirus-free. www.avast.com

ljl2002@att.net

Rick,

Right. There isn't much difference between the two but I was just trying to set a max distance record for my setup.
Either way I almost fell out of the chair when he came back with a 599.  Are you kidding me???
That's the main reason that I stuck with this mode since 2002.  Ya just never know.

Many thanks to all you learned scholars on antenna theory for all the logical suggestions of how to position my vertical.  I always wondered about that.  You think that if I rotate it in a circular motion that I could get everyone really well???  Satellites???

73 GDX!!!

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

---In 070@..., wrote :

Steve,

Great catch!  I've seen him at my QTH but no joy here.

I was blown away when I reached Australia on long path.  I was on 20m using a vertical on the roof with 1.5 watts.
As you said, "when it's in it's in!  Ya gotta love this mode!

73  GDX!!
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482
altVirus-free. www.avast.com

JEFF WALSH

Jerry ..is it true that when working with a tilted vertical it is best mounted on rotator ? ...inquiring minds want to know.

 sorry i couldn't resist ... hi hi

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

---In 070@..., wrote :

Steve,

Great catch!  I've seen him at my QTH but no joy here.

I was blown away when I reached Australia on long path.  I was on 20m using a vertical on the roof with 1.5 watts.
As you said, "when it's in it's in!  Ya gotta love this mode!

73  GDX!!
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482
altVirus-free. www.avast.com

JEFF WALSH

Jerry ..do you know where I can find the conversion chart for antenna wind load when changing from full vertical to a tilted vertical ....I want to make sure my rotator will handle it .....

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU

---In 070@..., wrote :

Steve,

Great catch!  I've seen him at my QTH but no joy here.

I was blown away when I reached Australia on long path.  I was on 20m using a vertical on the roof with 1.5 watts.
As you said, "when it's in it's in!  Ya gotta love this mode!

73  GDX!!
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482
altVirus-free. www.avast.com

Jerry N9AVY

No Jeff ...  Works best when attached to a NASA 20G centrifuge

Jerry

Sent from my iPhone

On 21 Jul 2017, at 12:33, "JEFF WALSH jeffwalsh1644@... [070]" <070@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Jerry ..is it true that when working with a tilted vertical it is best mounted on rotator ? ...inquiring minds want to know.

 sorry i couldn't resist ... hi hi

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.
!

---In 070@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Steve,

Great catch!  I've seen him at my QTH but no joy here.

I was blown away when I reached Australia on long path.  I was on 20m using a vertical on the roof with 1.5 watts.
As you said, "when it's in it's in!  Ya gotta love this mode!

73  GDX!!
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482
altVirus-free. www.avast.com

Posted by: JEFF WALSH <jeffwalsh1644@...>

With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 100

JEFF WALSH

I got too much free time this afternoon at work ..... still waiting for my "Skyhook" to be repaired b4 i can complete full tilt on my vertical

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU

BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.
!

[...]

It's in my unpublished book which is on hold until I get financing.  😀

Sent from my iPhone

[...]

Has anybody had any luck finding the  " NASA 20G centrifuge" on e-Bay ?

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU

BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.
!

[...]

Sounds like a great setup especially for an aging vertical suffering Erectile dysfunction

deliberately not signed