From: "don@... [070]" <070@...>
To: 070@...
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 7:17 AM
Subject: [070] Re: Something funny with Eqsl

I experienced the same with about ten QSO's that were all duplicates.

Don K9DEB #2007

Rick - N7WE

I too got a bunch of dups over the last couple of days.  But I did get a notice that eQSL had updated their software to include the new WSJT-X FT-8 mode.  Maybe a bug in the new coding created these dups.  Who knows?  I just rejected as dups without notifying.

ljl2002@att.net

Jerry,

I got one too.  It came across as a needed cfm but when I filled in and sent it said that it was a dupe.
Weird for sure.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 8:52 AM, "n7we1980@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

I too got a bunch of dups over the last couple of days.  But I did get a notice that eQSL had updated their software to include the new WSJT-X FT-8 mode.  Maybe a bug in the new coding created these dups.  Who knows?  I just rejected as dups without notifying.

That's what I got  x 8   today and 4 or 5 yesterday !   Probably don't know there's a problem yet.  Wait until all the EU stations start complaining

Good ol' LoTW keeps chugging along !

Jerry

I got one too.  It came across as a needed cfm but when I filled in and sent it said that it was a dupe.
Weird for sure.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 8:52 AM, "n7we1980@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

I too got a bunch of dups over the last couple of days.  But I did get a notice that eQSL had updated their software to include the new WSJT-X FT-8 mode.  Maybe a bug in the new coding created these dups.  Who knows?  I just rejected as dups without notifying.

Jon Greene - wx5nco <wx5nco@...>

I tried to upload my eQSL's last night from HRD.  They were uploaded, but something went wrong and it didn't update my HRD as being sent.  I have HRD setup to auto-send after the QSO, but it still showed not sent.  Weird.

73
Jon Greene WX5NCO
Tulsa, Oklahoma EM26
070 - 592
30DMC - 1233
DMC - 741
EPC - 5134
1010 - 74420

On Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 8:22:42 AM CDT, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

That's what I got  x 8   today and 4 or 5 yesterday !   Probably don't know there's a problem yet.  Wait until all the EU stations start complaining

Good ol' LoTW keeps chugging along !

Jerry

I got one too.  It came across as a needed cfm but when I filled in and sent it said that it was a dupe.
Weird for sure.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 8:52 AM, "n7we1980@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

I too got a bunch of dups over the last couple of days.  But I did get a notice that eQSL had updated their software to include the new WSJT-X FT-8 mode.  Maybe a bug in the new coding created these dups.  Who knows?  I just rejected as dups without notifying.

F.R. Ashley

Speaking of eQSL, when I try to log in, I get warning about it not being a secure site. Has something changed that I am unaware of?

73 Buddy WB4M

1573

On 7/18/2017 2:34 PM, Jon Greene - wx5nco wx5nco@... [070] wrote:

[...]

Mike - W0TMW #2207

No, the latest versions of most browsers think that logins should only occur by secure (https) websites. Ignore it and login as usual.

Mike - W0TMW

  -- William Kershner
http://crucis-court.com
http://www.crucis.net/1632search
On 07/18/2017 02:28 PM, 'F.R. Ashley' gdadx2@... [070] wrote:

[...]

Ray Clements

While you can log in as usual, since the data transmitted to an insecure website is not encrypted, it is best to make sure that you are not using those same login credentials on any web site that you want to keep secure such as email, banking, etc. Of course, it is best to have different passwords for every web site, but it is hard to track all those passwords.

LoTW goes to a lot of trouble to keep uploads secure through TQSL. You would think eQSL would want to keep their logins secure as well.

Ray N9RWC

I got one too.  It came across as a needed cfm but when I filled in and sent it said that it was a dupe.
Weird for sure.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 8:52 AM, "n7we1980@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

I too got a bunch of dups over the last couple of days.  But I did get a notice that eQSL had updated their software to include the new WSJT-X FT-8 mode.  Maybe a bug in the new coding created these dups.  Who knows?  I just rejected as dups without notifying.

DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381

Yep.  Got a batch of dups today, too.  One of my buddies says he can't get Fldigi to log to EQsl now, either.

David Hardy   1692/381
KB3RAN

Masaaaki Maeda

Yes!
I can upload today.
Thank you for your help!

Masa

Masaaki Maeda

Strategic Advisor

Asurion, LLC

1400 Fashion Island Blvd. Suite 700

San Mateo, CA 94404

Office: +1-650-581-2786

Mobile: +1-917-593-3954

Email: masa.maeda@...

2017/07/18 22:40、David Hardy davehardy0101@... [070] <070@...> のメッセージ:

Yep.  Got a batch of dups today, too.  One of my buddies says he can't get Fldigi to log to EQsl now, either.

David Hardy   1692/381
KB3RAN

Rick - N7WE

Went to log in this morning and got a popup telling me to run a "fix" if I had used any of a long list of digital modes.  Ran the program, (it took a while as I have a lot of digital), got the message all was "fixed".  Went to "home" and it completed the log in.  Inbox had one new confirm and it wasn't a dupe!  Looks like things are back to functioning correctly.

Steve W3HF

KJ4IZW can step in here and provide more detail I'm sure (if he can see his way clear of the diapers), but as best as I can figure it out this looks like a consequence of a recent change in the ADIF standard.

At one time, most/all of the PSK variants were all defined as "Modes". So all of the following were valid:

<MODE:3>PSK

<MODE:5>PSK31

<MODE:5>PSK63

<MODE:6>PSK125

Apparently eQSL was allowing the storage of all of these variants in their underlying database directly as MODE.

With recent changes in the ADIF standard (I think starting at v3.0.4), the only valid MODE for a PSK-type signal is PSK--all of the variants are now defined only as sub-modes. (There were similar changes to certain other digital modes.) So the entry for a PSK31 QSO should include:

<MODE:3>PSK<SUBMODE:5>PSK31

Software and systems are allowed to accept the variants as modes for import purposes. But exports are now allowed only to be in the MODE (SUBMODE) format.

(Note: I really don't expect that eQSL actually uses ADIF as its storage protocol. But the storage should resolve to the new-standard ADIF for exports. eQSL probably had to choose between writing a utility that would modify its exports "on the fly" to meet the standard, or it had to modify all the database entries so that a simple export-to-ADIF would work. They apparently chose the latter approach.)

This required eQSL to modify any entries that still had PSK variants in the MODE field, and replace that with PSK (PSK31) [or similar] entries. Rather than unilaterally reviewing all 521,467,801 eQSL data entries (as of this moment), they are asking users to run the utility on their own log entries. That's the "pop-up" that Rick saw as he logged in to eQSL today.

I would guess that this transition of database entries (which phases in at random times defined by when users log in and run the conversion utility) could have other effects, perhaps being the reason for some of the issues users have seen recently.

Thanks Steve!  Great explanation.

Jon Greene - wx5nco <wx5nco@...>

Question,
Do we need to run that fix every time we upload files to eQSL?

73
Jon Greene WX5NCO
Tulsa, Oklahoma EM26
070 - 592
30DMC - 1233
DMC - 741
EPC - 5134
1010 - 74420

On Wednesday, July 19, 2017, 7:37:53 AM CDT, n7we1980@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Thanks Steve!  Great explanation.

Nope

Do we need to run that fix every time we upload files to eQSL?

73
Jon Greene WX5NCO
Tulsa, Oklahoma EM26
070 - 592
30DMC - 1233
DMC - 741
EPC - 5134
1010 - 74420

On Wednesday, July 19, 2017, 7:37:53 AM CDT, n7we1980@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Thanks Steve!  Great explanation.

Steve W3HF

I agree with Jerry, though I don't have specific proof. My expectation is that eQSL will properly treat uploaded ADIF files that use the <MODE:5>PSK31 tag and convert them during incoming processing to the PSK/PSK31 mode/submode. It's only the previously-uploaded files that would have the mode wrong and thus have to be converted.

I can confirm that later when I do an upload, since I know for a fact that my ADIF uploads will NOT be using the v3.0.4 format.

One note though: if you have more than one eQSL account, you have to run the utility on EACH account. You can't just run that on your master account. So those of us with multiple accounts due to callsign variations and/or station locations have to run it multiple times.

Didn't have to run utility ...  what ever that is... never saw anything about a utility.   Think my friend maybe did that after I asked him last night. He may also have run a couple other stations I mentioned as having problems.

Sometimes it pays to not burn bridges...

Jerry  n9avy