Explain Something for Me

Bill Garwood

All of the recent posts about PSK31 operators sending stuff like and CQ CQ de .  Why do they not know what they are sending out over the air?

I started years ago with PSK31 using MixW software and have stuck with it as it does the job for me.  I always see on my monitor what I am sending whether using macros or when I'm typing.

I guess other software does not have this feature by default or similar?

If I understand why it happens, I may be able to occasionally assist them with getting up to speed.  As has been mentioned, some of these folks cannot be helped as they already know it all, but most are just trying a new mode or new software.

Then there are others who send their call as in brackets.  My software does not recognize that as a call sign so I have to cut and paste it or type it in to make a QSO with that station.  Why do some stations send their call in brackets?

Happy Radio!  73,

Bill #1688

Jerry N9AVY

Have seen it all since 2006...   aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh !

All of the recent posts about PSK31 operators sending stuff like .  Why do they not know what they are sending out over the air?

I started years ago with PSK31 using MixW software and have stuck with it as it does the job for me.  I always see on my monitor what I am sending whether using macros or when I'm typing.

I guess other software does not have this feature by default or similar?

If I understand why it happens, I may be able to occasionally assist them with getting up to speed.  As has been mentioned, some of these folks cannot be helped as they already know it all, but most are just trying a new mode or new software.

Then there are others who send their call as in brackets.  My software does not recognize that as a call sign so I have to cut and paste it or type it in to make a QSO with that station.  Why do some stations send their call in brackets?

Happy Radio!  73,

Bill #1688

Harry Wilkins

Most do it I think to make their callsign stand out from the other text.  That's why I do it anyway, but I do leave a space between the brackets and the callsign.  All of the software have tried will then recognize that.  HRD doesn't have a problem parsing non-alphabetic or numeric characters, so I don't have a problem with those who don't leave spaces.  Possibly theirs can parse it as well and it hasn't occurred to them that some out there cannot.

Harry, K9HW – #1959

Then there are others who send their call as in brackets.  My software does not recognize that as a call sign so I have to cut and paste it or type it in to make a QSO with that station.  Why do some stations send their call in brackets?

Happy Radio!  73,

Bill #1688

mwbesemer@...

ljl2002@att.net

This is the reason that I never sign as /QRP because I heard that it screws up some logging programs.  Besides the other Ham is usually surprised to see the power levels when they get the card..
I found it a good practice to watch what I am sending out to catch anything that may not be right so that I can correct it on the next. (I'm not the greatest typist on the planet.)
Should have taken typing in HS when I had the chance.  The teacher was great and the class was all  girls.  What an idiot!

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Monday, July 17, 2017 11:30 AM, "mwbesemer@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Just my humble opinion, but I find that it makes it HARDER to distinguish the call when it's bracketed like that.

No telling what it does for guys using screen readers.

Mike
WM4B