???

Jerry N9AVY

Tried to help out a station I was working today.  He was using HRD   and was sending "  Name:   qth    "  .  Told him he had problems, but he made no move to correct them by sending his name and QTH manually.  About 1/2 hour later  I see him working a W5 station with same corrupted macro.   Guess I wasted my time.

Don't use HRD, but am wondering if I could have been more helpful  or if I should have ignoredhim and moved on ?

Comments ???

Jerry  N9AVY

Rick - N7WE

Jerry-

Not sure what you could have done to help him, but it sure looks like the problem was he was using default macros without entering his personal info in the "Tags" tab in the Macro box.  That will do it every time.  If there is no entry in the Tags field for <name> <QTH> etc. in the macro script, the macro just sends <name> etc.

Rick:

Thanks for info.  I'll try relaying it next time I hear someone sending vacant macros.

I use MixW  and  the macro setups are slightly different.

Jerry  N9AVY

From: "Mike Watson mikew@... [070]" <070@...>
To: 070@...
Subject: Re: [070] ???

[...]

Oops! Sorry, I forgot to identify at the end of the QSO.

Ray N9RWC

Forwarded message is attached.

Chris J LaRue NO7E

When you first install HRD it walks you through setting it up.  The first time you open DM780, the tab that opens is call "Do this first", obviously he just closed that and started going without regard to proper settings.  With someone like that they usually know it all anyway, so make a light suggestion and move on because they will most likely ignore you anyway unfortunately.

73 de Chris NO7E
no7e@...

--

Randy True

He was feeling abused, he had a bad childhood, no one likes him, he was a LID.

Randy W4RTT

From: "Mike Watson mikew@... [070]" <070@...>
To: 070@...

[...]

Bill Morton

Jerry,

I have been a Beta tester for HRD for well over 12 years (yes back to the Simon days). I help lots of hams with their set up here in Georgia and across the US for that matter as my give back to the hobby. The one thing I have found that every question I have been asked is documented in the manuals – but one very important thing is necessary – they have to download them and read the manual. Typically, rather than just fixing the problem, I direct them to the right place to read about their problem and then I help them -  A bit harsh I know but it is just necessary or they will always be dependent.

I have just about every Ham Radio software suite on my Ham computer and all of them require a learning curve and some reading of a manual. Just the way it is. They all have their way of doing things. To each his own.

Not sure you could have done more than you did by telling him that he was not looking like a bright ham with blank macros. (they are simple to set up) However, you do have to set the program up right. These are the kinds of folks that get on EHam and flame a company because of their own lack of understanding and not doing the most basic thing – reading the instruction manual. My pet peeve.

73

Bill

W4ASE

070 #1018

.

Morris WA4MIT

Bill you are so correct .. have been a HRD user since the Simon era and I still refer to the manual. Lots of questions on all the forums are the same just a new day people will not even bother to do a search to see if the answer is before them. I think it is just a symptom of the times we live in. Ask and you shall be answered.
73 Morris WA4MIT

Rick - N7WE

"RT-M" assumes one can read and understand.  Not a safe assumption any more.  "Plug and Play" was an attempt to make things idiot proof.  All it did was make more idiots.  The Law of Unintended Consequences struck again!

IMHO!

RTFM  -  have given that advice for last 47 years in service industry.

From: "Morris Wideman wa4mit@... [070]" <070@...>
To: 070@...

Bill you are so correct .. have been a HRD user since the Simon era and I still refer to the manual. Lots of questions on all the forums are the same just a new day people will not even bother to do a search to see if the answer is before them. I think it is just a symptom of the times we live in. Ask and you shall be answered.
73 Morris WA4MIT

ljl2002@att.net

Hey Jerry,

 RTFM was exactly what we said when we were assembling nuclear  warheads in the Army  too!

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482