???

Jerry N9AVY

Tried to help out a station I was working today.  He was using HRD   and was sending "  Name:   qth    "  .  Told him he had problems, but he made no move to correct them by sending his name and QTH manually.  About 1/2 hour later  I see him working a W5 station with same corrupted macro.   Guess I wasted my time.

Don't use HRD, but am wondering if I could have been more helpful  or if I should have ignoredhim and moved on ?

Comments ???

Jerry  N9AVY

Rick - N7WE

Jerry-

Not sure what you could have done to help him, but it sure looks like the problem was he was using default macros without entering his personal info in the "Tags" tab in the Macro box.  That will do it every time.  If there is no entry in the Tags field for <name> <QTH> etc. in the macro script, the macro just sends <name> etc.  

Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Jerry N9AVY

Rick:

Thanks for info.  I'll try relaying it next time I hear someone sending vacant macros. 

I use MixW  and  the macro setups are slightly different.

Jerry  N9AVY

To: 070@...
Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2017 1:51 PM
Subject: [070] Re: ???

Jerry-

Not sure what you could have done to help him, but it sure looks like the problem was he was using default macros without entering his personal info in the "Tags" tab in the Macro box.  That will do it every time.  If there is no entry in the Tags field for etc. in the macro script, the macro just sends etc.  

Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Mike - W0TMW #2207

HRD has an entry page to fill those fields. Fields such as call, QTH, name, grid, etc. Apparently, he's never filled in that data which leads me to believe he's a new HRD user.

Mike - W0TMW

--

"Lose not thy airspeed, lest the ground rises up and smites thee."
  -- William Kershner
http://crucis-court.com
http://www.crucis.net/1632search
On 07/16/2017 01:44 PM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] wrote:

Tried to help out a station I was working today.  He was using HRD   and was sending "  Name:   qth    "  .  Told him he had problems, but he made no move to correct them by sending his name and QTH manually.  About 1/2 hour later  I see him working a W5 station with same corrupted macro.   Guess I wasted my time.

Don't use HRD, but am wondering if I could have been more helpful  or if I should have ignoredhim and moved on ?

Comments ???

Jerry  N9AVY

Ray Clements

I can understand a new user not knowing how to fill in the required profile information. What I cannot understand is how someone could continue to make contacts without realizing that the macros are sending incorrect information and then trying to correct the problem.

------ Original Message ------
Received: 02:31 PM CDT, 07/16/2017
Subject: Re: [070] ???

HRD has an entry page to fill those fields. Fields such as call, QTH, name, grid, etc. Apparently, he's never filled in that data which leads me to believe he's a new HRD user.

Mike - W0TMW

--

-- William Kershner

Comments ???

Jerry  N9AVY

Ray Clements

Oops! Sorry, I forgot to identify at the end of the QSO.

Ray N9RWC

Forwarded message is attached.

Chris J LaRue NO7E

When you first install HRD it walks you through setting it up.  The first time you open DM780, the tab that opens is call "Do this first", obviously he just closed that and started going without regard to proper settings.  With someone like that they usually know it all anyway, so make a light suggestion and move on because they will most likely ignore you anyway unfortunately.

73 de Chris NO7E
no7e@...

On 7/16/17 12:30 PM, Mike Watson mikew@... [070] wrote:

Mike - W0TMW

--

-- William Kershner

Comments ???

Jerry  N9AVY

-- 

Randy True

He was feeling abused, he had a bad childhood, no one likes him, he was a LID.

Randy W4RTT

From: 070@... <070@...> on behalf of 'Ray Clements' r.clements@... [070] <070@...>
Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2017 3:41 PM

I can understand a new user not knowing how to fill in the required profile information. What I cannot understand is how someone could continue to make contacts without realizing that the macros are sending incorrect information and then trying to correct the problem.

Received: 02:31 PM CDT, 07/16/2017

Mike - W0TMW

--

-- William Kershner
www.crucis.net
Eric Flint's 1632 Universe Search Engine 1632 / 1633 / 1634: The Galileo Affair / Grantville Gazette, Vols I-LXXII / Ring of Fire I, II, III & IV /
crucis-court.com
Happy Birthday, US Marines! The Marine Corps was created on November 10, 1775, in Tun Tavern, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, by a resolution of the Continental Congress.
Tried to help out a station I was working today.  He was using HRD   and was sending "  Name: <my name>  qth    "  .  Told him he had problems, but he made no move to correct them by sending his name and QTH manually.  About 1/2 hour later  I see him working a W5 station with same corrupted macro.   Guess I wasted my time.

Comments ???

Jerry  N9AVY

Dan Morris - KZ3T

I’ve had quite a number of those tags sent out but really have paid no attention which program they were using.  I’m not paying much attention either but I will in the future.   But when someone prints that you are # so and so on 20M or 40M you would think they would see the error of their ways!!!  Evidently , they just don’t look at what is going out.  I guess we all make mistakes, but most of us will either catch them or someone will say something and then we correct it.  

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On Jul 16, 2017, at 3:41 PM, 'Ray Clements' r.clements@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Received: 02:31 PM CDT, 07/16/2017 
To: 070@... 
Subject: Re: [070] ??? 

Mike - W0TMW 

--

-- William Kershner
On 07/16/2017 01:44 PM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] wrote: 

Comments ???

Jerry  N9AVY 

Bill Morton

Jerry,

I have been a Beta tester for HRD for well over 12 years (yes back to the Simon days). I help lots of hams with their set up here in Georgia and across the US for that matter as my give back to the hobby. The one thing I have found that every question I have been asked is documented in the manuals – but one very important thing is necessary – they have to download them and read the manual. Typically, rather than just fixing the problem, I direct them to the right place to read about their problem and then I help them -  A bit harsh I know but it is just necessary or they will always be dependent.

I have just about every Ham Radio software suite on my Ham computer and all of them require a learning curve and some reading of a manual. Just the way it is. They all have their way of doing things. To each his own.

Not sure you could have done more than you did by telling him that he was not looking like a bright ham with blank macros. (they are simple to set up) However, you do have to set the program up right. These are the kinds of folks that get on EHam and flame a company because of their own lack of understanding and not doing the most basic thing – reading the instruction manual. My pet peeve.

Bill

W4ASE

070 #1018

Morris WA4MIT

Bill you are so correct .. have been a HRD user since the Simon era and I still refer to the manual. Lots of questions on all the forums are the same just a new day people will not even bother to do a search to see if the answer is before them. I think it is just a symptom of the times we live in. Ask and you shall be answered. 
73 Morris WA4MIT 

Rick - N7WE

"RT-M" assumes one can read and understand.  Not a safe assumption any more.  "Plug and Play" was an attempt to make things idiot proof.  All it did was make more idiots.  The Law of Unintended Consequences struck again!

IMHO!

Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602  

Jerry N9AVY

RTFM  -  have given that advice for last 47 years in service industry.  

Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2017 6:01 PM
Subject: RE: [070] ???

"RT-M" assumes one can read and understand.  Not a safe assumption any more.  "Plug and Play" was an attempt to make things idiot proof.  All it did was make more idiots.  The Law of Unintended Consequences struck again!

IMHO!

Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602  

Ray Clements

Ham software suites such as Ham Radio Deluxe and DX Labs have gotten so complex that it is hard for anyone to understand all the intricacies. For a newcomer to either of these suites, the learning process can be daunting.
Then there is the old adage that real hams (or perhaps that is real men who are hams) do not read instruction manuals, so we get silly errors such as those noted previously in the thread. 

Ray N9RWC

Received: 05:30 PM CDT, 07/16/2017

Bill you are so correct .. have been a HRD user since the Simon era and I still refer to the manual. Lots of questions on all the forums are the same just a new day people will not even bother to do a search to see if the answer is before them. I think it is just a symptom of the times we live in. Ask and you shall be answered. 
73 Morris WA4MIT 

ljl2002@att.net

Hey Jerry,

RTFM was exactly what we said when we were assembling nuclear  warheads in the Army  too!

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Sunday, July 16, 2017 7:31 PM, "Jerry n9avy@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

RTFM  -  have given that advice for last 47 years in service industry.  

Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2017 6:01 PM

IMHO!

Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602